Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Somw BMW Tech Support Needed.

Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:49 pm

Hello!

I have a 1979 BMW 320i, today I got some kind of warning light from the panel, I have no idea what it means, and couldn't find it in the manual. Its a light next to the parking brake light, its Likoe an "O" with 3 dashed lines on each side of it. Maybe somebody can help me out with that, sure would appreciate some help! Hope its nothing serious.

Thanks for your time and help!

-Dmitry

9V-SVA

RE: Somw BMW Tech Support Needed.

Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:50 pm

Ahh, is there an exclamation mark inside it? If there is, that means there's something wrong with your parking brake. Get it checked at the nearest dealer.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

9V-SVA

Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:53 pm

Oh yes, get your brake fluid checked as well.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:23 pm

Its not the Parking Brake light it self, its the the right of the light and a bit higher, it doesn not have an exclamation mark in it, just a "O" with 3 dashes around the edges, to the left and right of it. Any idea what can set that off?

-Dmitry

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:44 am

I'll try giving the local BMW dealer a call and see what they have to say, but thanks. If there's anybody else, let me know.

Thanks!

-Dmitry

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:37 am

Why don't you ask ILS? I'm sure his experience with BMW could help you..

Superfly

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:42 am

Sell it and buy a Ford! Big grin
Just kidding, maybe it's an oil light. Does the engine sound any different? It could be very serious.
Bring back the Concorde

Greg

Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:25 am

It explains it in your manual.
I can look in mine if you don't have one.
I believe thats the BMW sign for brakes....likely fluid...takes two seconds to check.

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:12 pm

I would appreciate if you could check in your manual to confirm the exact symptom, I check at a euro place today and they said it has something to do with my brakes, I will check the fluid level.

Thanks, I appreciate the imput.

-Dmitry

TurbineBeaver

Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:34 pm

Oh, I know that sign.

It means that your interior needs a refurbishing, and to send it back to the Interior by Kia hq's and they'll re-seran wrap all the seats. Great service!

ILS

9V-SVA

Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:38 pm

Dmitry, it is your brakes. I should say it involves the brake fluid. Could be too low.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

L-188

Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:24 pm

Let me take a shot here, and I say a shot because I don't remember the proper terms for the components from back when I had to deal with it.

If a term is in quotes it is because I am pulling the name for it out of my @$s

On my F-150 I have had the brake light on because I had a line to one of my rear wheels get nailed by a direct hit with a rock. On the Ford trucks the light is sensored to the "valve assembly" that ensures that each one of the four wheel brakes gets an equal amount of pressure when the brake pedal is depressed. So if there is a problem where one brake is getting more or less pressure then the others, it will illuminate. So when the line to that one line got punctured it wouldn't hold any pressure compared to the other lines and the sensor in that "assembly" would tell the brake light to light up.

So what I would do. Start at each wheel brake and follow the hydraulic lines back to the "valve assembly" to see if there are any obviously leaks. I recommend doing this when the underside of the car is dry and you haven't driving in water lately.

All four of those lines should feed into the "valve assembly" there should be one line out to the master cylinder.

You never know. You might find something as simple to fix as a loose b nut and you will save yourself about 120 dollars worth of shop time.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:58 am

Thanks guys and Shawn!

I checked my brake fluid, was OK, so I will take a look at the brake lines to each wheel.

Thanks for the help!

-Dmitry

Alaskaairlines
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:25 pm

Greg, were you able to check in your manual? I don't have one.

Thanks!

-Dmitry

turbulence

Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:59 pm

Hello, wish I can help. I also thought of brake fluid level, but you checked it and was OK. Otherwise, if there's no wiring coming from the brake fluid tank's cap, it has nothing to do with it. If there's wiring there, the low level brake fluid might be the same indicator.

The other option is as follows: your front wheel brake pads are finishing. But do not panic!!!

Many cars have a very soft metal contact on the brake pads, that makes earth contact with the discs when less than 2 millimeters of thickness is left, without harm for the disk.

It is nothing urgent: you can still drive for longer than 3.000 kms before the hard metal base starts scratching the disks. Right now you just need an optical inspection: the contacts are on the two wheels, but only on one side of the disk; nevertheless, usually one pad is thinner than the other, even on the two sides of the same disk. The risk is that the one pad that has no contact is dangerously close to the end, so start scratching ths disk soon. Once you have seen that the thickness is no dangerous, you can give yourself a while if your next inspection is soon.

Hope I helped.

Best turbulences