Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Kappa13
Topic Author
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2000 6:00 am

Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:31 am

Hey,
I'm planning on getting a tattoo sometime this year. I already have an idea about what I plan on getting. However, I was just wondering if you guys had any advice or warnings about getting one. Also it would be interesting to see what kinds of tattoos people have around here. Thanks.

Todd
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14351
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:39 am

Don't get one, if you do you might get hepatitis.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
Established02
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:30 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:07 am

Yes Todd, I would also suggest to forget this idea of getting a tattoo.

There are plenty of other ways for you to feel good about yourself and to gain the respect of other people, than by painting some darkish design on your arm.

I don't have any tattoo's, I'm not planning to have any and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I guess that (long term) medical/health concerns may have to be considered indeed. I'm not a doctor, but I would say it's not worth to take the risk.

Sorry to say, but I have a hard time to understand why people may desire a tattoo in the first place.

How can you maintain your enthusiasm for a particular motive (e.g. a dragon, a skull,...) for the rest of your life? As you grow up, your character develops and your feelings change as well.

It looks pretty silly to me to see a grown up man with a faded, dark tattoo somewhere on his body. I guess many people with a tattoo may feel regret about it later on in life.

Kind regards,

Edwin
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:18 am

Don't get one, if you do you might get hepatitis.

That is the most ignorant thing someone could say. Christ all mighty.

Anyway dude, I have 6 tattoos. When going to get one, research the place you are going too. Do not, I repeat DO NOT let Joltin' Joe and his tatoo gun "hook you up for a good price". F that. Make sure the place you go to is reputable, clean, and you feel comfortable there. Don't judge the artists because they are covered with tats and such, I have found them to be some of the coolest people I talk too. Make sure they have an Autoclave or enclave whatever its called, that sterilizes all equipment. Watch them prepare the needles and make sure they take them out of a fresh package. If you go to a reputable place, that won't be an issue. The biggest thing is making sure the place has a good rep, and you feel confortable there.
 
MagicMan_841
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 8:12 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:19 am

I hate tatoos and peircing. They are useless wastes of money, and proove that you don't like yourself and that you don't respect your body by painting it or punching holes in it. "I'll look cool", you'll tell me. Well, the day you'll realize that what others think ain't worth a dime you won't want a tattoo anymore.

[email protected]!¢  Yeah sure
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:21 am

They are useless wastes of money, and proove that you don't like yourself and that you don't respect your body by painting it or punching holes in it.

Dude, that is opinion, not fact. My tattoos I have, I got because I liked them. They can all be covered up by a T-Shirt, and I did not get them to "look cool" or impress anyone. There is nothing wrong with not being into tats and crap like that, but don't act like you are or know better than those of us that have them.
 
747-451
Posts: 2327
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:50 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:40 am

Be sure you actually want it for yourself and if you get one, research the place you plan to use to make sure they are sanitary. It is also not easy to change your mind later--it will cost thousands to painfully laser them off later.

I personally don't care for it (hate them on women...)...but if you're happy, I'm happy.
 
jcs17
Posts: 7376
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:13 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:28 am

Hey KROC, if you have 6 tattoos you better have at least one of Jim Rome's grill and another one with the XR4ti logo.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 10:49 am

Jcs, I was thinking about something to do with Rome, or the Clones. Not for nothing though, I'm not putting a dude's grill on my body, not even Jim Roome's, lol. Maybe the XR4TI logo though.
 
727_Gal
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:26 pm

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:23 am

I have a butterfly on my right lower back... I know, it's the typical girl tattoo, but it has sentimental reasons for me as well... I love my tattoo, and it's easily hidden unless I show it! I also have seven piercings - two in my navel, two in each earlobe and one in my ear cartilage (I used to have my nose pierced too) and I didn't do all that just to "make others like me." I'm a very girly girl too, preppie as anything - just in case you were getting other preconceived notions.
Anyway, if you're going to get a tattoo, look around and ask around your city. Go check out a place before you get one, meet the tattoo artist - and if you like what you see, most places will let you make an appointment. If you're sure this is what you want, go for it. You won't be disappointed  Smile
 
Kappa13
Topic Author
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2000 6:00 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:18 pm

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback you've all given me. Both positive and negitive. If I do get a tattoo, it's going to be for myself and not just to impress anyone. I was thinking about getting the Eagle from the Albanian flag either on my upper back or my arm. My grandparents were from Albania and I want to get that to remember the roots of most of my family. But I'm still not sure yet. But anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Todd
 
jared
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri May 11, 2001 6:05 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:08 pm

You only live once.

I love it when people are like "how could you do that to your body?" yet they are smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.
 
Established02
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:30 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:52 pm

> My grandparents were from Albania
> and I want to get that to remember the roots of most of my family.

Todd, I'm quite impressed to hear about your motivation for getting a tattoo.
I admire your desire to pay tribute to your ancestors.

However, I still would like to suggest a few other (perhaps silly) options:

What about hanging a big Albanian flag or decoration in your (living) room?
What about discovering more about Albanian art and traditional (folk) music?
What about going to Albania and visiting the places were your grandparents and ancestors have lived?
What about setting up some kind of American/Albenian youth friendship organisation?

I live in Western-Europe and over here Albanians often come in the news as "trouble makers", because of their alledged involvement in all kinds of organised crime. This gives a rather bad image to their nation and culture.

It would be a noble thing if you could stimulate the beauty and values of Albanian culture and show that Albanians and their descendants have done great things as well.


> You only live once.

Our body is our vehicle to carry us throughout this one lifetime. Therefore it is very precious and one should take care of it carefully.

> I love it when people are like "how could you do that to your body?"
> yet they are smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.

Jared, it's indeed harder to receive and pass out "judgement", when a certain contradiction underlies the statement. Personally, I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. However, it's true that I should do more sports and perhaps eat more healthy food.

Kind regards,

Edwin
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23605
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:23 pm

I have tattoos and piercings. I have no regrets about getting them done and I will get more done. Not because I want people to think I am cool but because I want to show just a little more of who I am. When I do get something like that done, I usualy wait about 6 months to a year to think about why I am getting it and where I would get it. My firm rule (ONLY FOR MYSELF) is I will NEVER NEVER NEVER get ANYTHING tattooed below the sleeve line for a t-shirt.

I know of only three places here that I would go to for any body art or modification. I know these are good places because of word-of-mouth. I have been to several shops looking for barbells (tounge) and some of them I would not let a homeless dog sleep in! That would be the best way to find out about any place: word-of-mouth.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
Turbolet
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:23 pm

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:32 am

I was considering getting a tattoo on my arm (most probably left). I'd like a simple Celtic design, mostly because I am of Czech origin and there's a theory that the Czechs are descendants of the Celts. Stupid reason? Maybe, but it's still a reason. My main concerns are that short sleeves would probably not cover it up and even if they did, it would certainly show up if I were to, for example, put my arms into the air. When it comes to things like job interviews, people with tattoos are generally not favoured (I'm talking about airline jobs and such, with bouncers it's a different story). And what if I fall in love with someone who won't like it? There'll be no solution in that case.
When thinking of getting a tattoo, do consider the fact that it will stay with you for all your life. Laser treatment is extremely expensive and won't make it go completely, either. But I'm not discouraging you - it's your choice, just make sure that if you go for it, you won't regret it later on.
As for myself, I'm looking for an alternative way, something similar to a tattoo but which would fade away in a certain time, say six months. If anyone has any suggestions, please e-mail me.
Personally, I'm certainly not disgusted by tattoos or piercings. My gym instructor Maria has a big tattoo on her lower back and several piercings in her belly button. She also has a husband and six kids. My thoughts? If I ever get married, I sure wish that my wife would look as sexy as her at 45!
-turbolet
 
Sabena 690
Posts: 6065
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:48 am

Established02

Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:36 am

Hello Edwin,

Those are 2 very good postings you made!

I couldn't have said it better!

I'm also very anti all those tattoo-things and piercings etc...

Regards,
Frederic

 
Dash8King
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:45 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:51 am

I think tattoo's look terrible on women. I personally want to get a Hoover Air 737 or Westjet 737 with a women riding on the back pretending to spank it. She would be in a nice bikini and I want it on my arm. My dad also wants to get a Hoover Air 737 with a chick spanking it too and made me promise that when if I get it I will go with him so he can get one too so I am gonna wait until he dies before I get it.
 
airplay
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:58 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:10 am

STT757:

Don't get one, if you do you might get hepatitis.


KROC:

That is the most ignorant thing someone could say. Christ all mighty.


If it's such an ignorant statement why do you break into a lecture about ensuring cleanliness, and infection?

Come on KROC. STT757's statement is accurate. In my opinion tattoos are dumb. If you want to decorate yourself there are several non-permanent ways to do it. Why go through the pain and the risk just to get stuck with an image that:

a) Can cause you to become infected
b) May just cost you a job
c) You may grow tired of
d) You may regret
e) You may removed using painful removal technique that leave red sores
f) May not reflect your image or thoughts as you grow older
g) Will look like a wrinkled pathetic mess when you get to Grand-parent's age

People in this day and age get permanent tattoos because there is a certain image and risk attached to it. It's merely a rebelious act to get attention. If it wasn't then why not invest in temporary ones? They serve the exact same purpose without the risk.

I recommend you leave the tattoos to the rock stars, bikers, and squeegee kids who can't afford a $3 breakfast but always seem to be able to afford a thousand dollar tattoo!



 
Rai
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:12 pm

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:18 am

a) Can cause you to become infected
b) May just cost you a job
c) You may grow tired of
d) You may regret
e) You may removed using painful removal technique that leave red sores
f) May not reflect your image or thoughts as you grow older
g) Will look like a wrinkled pathetic mess when you get to Grand-parent's age


You could also add you can't donate blood after getting a tattoo. The blood circulates the the toxins of the ink all over your body.
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:12 am

If it's such an ignorant statement why do you break into a lecture about ensuring cleanliness, and infection?

Airplay, lets have a lesson in common sense okay? I said it was an ignorant statement, because SST757 said right out that if you get a tattoo, you may get hepatitis. So, no matter where you go, who does it, etc, you could get hepatitis. WRONG. If you go to a place that is CLEAN, REPUTABLE, where they use ONLY brand NEW needles, there will be no chance of hepatitis. See, you and the rest are speaking on something you fully don't understand. I hate tattoos, so all places are bad, disease riddled etc. And who said anything about infection. Guess what, if your tattoo gets infected, its because YOU did not take care of it properly. Hence the aftercare instructions you get.

Come on KROC. STT757's statement is accurate. In my opinion tattoos are dumb. If you want to decorate yourself there are several non-permanent ways to do it. Why go through the pain and the risk just to get stuck with an image that:

Are you for real? STT757's statement is not accurate. Partially at best. HENCE people going to reputable places. Let me break down your little list as well.

a) Can cause you to become infected -- Like I said, its on the person with the tat if it gets infected.

b) May just cost you a job -- If your tats are covered, they cannot cost you your job, or you have a nice lawsuit.

c) You may grow tired of -- Which is why you make very sure of what you get

d) You may regret -- See above

e) You may removed using painful removal technique that leave red sores -- You get the right tattoo, and this is not an issue

f) May not reflect your image or thoughts as you grow older -- Well, if you don't get a naked bitch on your forearm, you will most likely be set.

g) Will look like a wrinkled pathetic mess when you get to Grand-parent's age -- Yeah, so will the rest of your body, what is your point. If it is still covered by a T-shirt, guess what, nobody will see it

Oh and this... You could also add you can't donate blood after getting a tattoo. The blood circulates the the toxins of the ink all over your body.

You cannot give blood, for one year after getting a tattoo. Same used to be for eear piercing as well. Its not because your blood is polluted, but because they (Red Cross etc) want ample time for say HIV to show up, should you be dumb enough to get a tattoo from some clown using dirty needles and such.
 
Dash8King
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:45 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:15 am

Don't fly if you do your plane could crash and you might die.
 
airplay
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:58 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:17 am

KROC,

SST757 said you might" get hepatitis. What's inaccurate about that?? He didn't say that you would get it for sure and he didn't go into detail about the how and why.

Why are you so senstive about this subject? And why haven't you considered answering my question about temporary tattoos? Aren;t they risky or cool enough?

Your ramble about "making sure" about the tattoo you get doesn't address what I said about people or situations changing. What is right today may not be what you want tommorow...so why make such a permanent mark on your body?

Not missing out on a job? What if your tattoo *isn't* covered or concealable? Your arguments are reminicsent of that adolescent argument my niece attempted when asking her mother for permission for a tattoo....just contradiction. Poor contradication at best.

Funny, you are very offended by SST757's comments but you seem to be making similar statementsm, saying if you get a tattoo, be very careful about infections, make your choice carefully, do not get inappropriate tattoos that society may object to, and ensure its concealable...I guess that leaves gonig to a hospital and getting a little heart tattooed on your butt....

 Smile

 
jared
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri May 11, 2001 6:05 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:18 am

Hi-five, KROC.

I'm surprised I read a few times that you guys don't think tats look good on girls. I really like the whole tattoos on girl thing. They can be really hot.

I especially like this:

http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A20101/high/tatfar2.jpg

Tattoos can be very tasteful. Other times they can be really crazy. Would all of you be against the idea of getting a tattoo to pay tribute to a lost friend, brother, sister, mother, father?

Some things just mean a lot to some people.
 
learpilot
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu May 10, 2001 11:07 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:30 pm

I recently moved to Florida and one of the first things I noticed when I got here was that most girls have a tattoo. It's disgusting - to me, anyway. A woman's body is a beautiful thing, especially if she has a killer tan. A red and black star with flames coming from it on her neck, or a big honkin' butterfly on her lower back, or a yinyang on her ankle, or...whatever ruins it. She may as well rot her teeth out with cigarettes - wait, they all do that too. What's that butterfly going to look like when she's 45 and wrinkled?

I was at a restaurant in New York City the other day. The waitress was very pretty; she had a bit of a latin flava to her.  Big thumbs up Great body, awesome long black hair, you name it, she had it. She turned around pretty quick and her hair swung off of her shoulder revealing a rather large black blotch of something - I don't know what. All I could do was  Insane

This is just my opinion...I could be wrong.
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!
 
Kappa13
Topic Author
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2000 6:00 am

RE: Tattoos

Sun Jan 12, 2003 12:55 pm

Hey everyone,
I use to be the type of person that was anti-tattoo and anti-piercing but I dunno. They way I see it now is that it's the same type of art that you see in museums. Except your the canvas, hence the name body art. Anyway everything you do in life has risks involved with it. Getting a tattoo included.
To answer Jared's question, yeah I would get a tattoo to pay tribute to someone who meant a lot to me. It all goes back to remembering your past and who you are. That's what tattoos are. They're you.

Todd
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:53 am

Airplay. Let me clear up a few of yoru misconceptions about what I am saying.

- I'm not sensitive or defensive on this topic. I just don't like people who have no clue about tattoos giving their advice like its golden, or people that hate them, acting like their opinion is the only right one.

- As for the statement on hepatitis, it was inaccurate, because depending on the type of situation one lets themselves get into, is it only 'accurate'. His statement generalized EVERY possible way of getting a tattoo could catch you Hepatitis. I proved otherwise.

- Temporary Tattoos, and are they cool enough. I for one, did not get a tattoo because I thought it wa simply "cool". Temp tats might be fine, but they come off, they fade or start to peel and look like shit. When one gets a tattoo, its because they want it to last, not stay on for a day or two. Temp tats are fine, for those nto ready for the needle.

Your ramble about "making sure" about the tattoo you get doesn't address what I said about people or situations changing. What is right today may not be what you want tommorow...so why make such a permanent mark on your body?

Ramble? Whatever man. As for making sense about changing people....that is WHY when one gets a tattoo that are sure they are getting what they want...for life. See, I have 6 tattoos, and every single one of them has a meaning to them. So when I'm 30, 55, 72 whatever, my tattoos will be relevant, because they will represent something in my life. If you are ignorant to get something that is meaningless or you will not like 20 years down the road, that is a personal problem, and not a problem of the tattooing communicty as a whole. Don't judge a whole group of people on individual ignorance.

Not missing out on a job? What if your tattoo *isn't* covered or concealable? Your arguments are reminicsent of that adolescent argument my niece attempted when asking her mother for permission for a tattoo....just contradiction. Poor contradication at best.

Am I stuttering when I say, IF you get a tattoo, and it IS covered by something as simple as a T-Shirt, then you are fine. IF one is that worried about being judged by tattoos for a job, then it is that indivuduals responsibility to make sure they get there tattoo in a spot that can be covered up, if not, it is that one persons fault. Its not a tough concept to grasp. And there is no contradiction to my statements. If someone gets tattoos all over the place, they KNOW how will they will be judged after the fact.

Funny, you are very offended by SST757's comments but you seem to be making similar statementsm, saying if you get a tattoo, be very careful about infections, make your choice carefully, do not get inappropriate tattoos that society may object to, and ensure its concealable...I guess that leaves gonig to a hospital and getting a little heart tattooed on your butt....

My statements about tattoos are my personal veiw point on them. I have no problem with the girl who has one on her ankle and i have no problem with the dude that is covered in them. Being careful about where you get a tattoo and such is common sense, but in my 26 years on earth, I have learned common sense is not a gift everyone enjoys. Inappropriate tattoos, I never mentioned anything inappropriate, and if its covered, then who cares? Well except you.

Jared, right back at you buddy. The BMezine site is great, and I was goign to post a link, but forgot too. I also think tattoos on chicks are sexy. Not all of course, but location and design and such do play a part. It's nice to see that at least some people get it.
 
airplay
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:58 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:20 am

Being careful about where you get a tattoo and such is common sense, but in my 26 years on earth, I have learned common sense is not a gift everyone enjoys.

Oh....so if you don't have common sense, you might get hepatitis....

 Smile
 
KROC
Posts: 18919
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 11:19 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:30 am

Airplay, nobody loves joking and being sarcastic as much as I do, but I was tryi9ng to have a rare serious discussion here.  Big grin
 
VirginLover
Posts: 918
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2000 8:46 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:15 am

 
Dash8King
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:45 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:22 am

Don't eat anything solid, you chould choke and die.
 
airplay
Posts: 3369
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:58 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:03 am

VirginLover,

Great site. Lots of good information.

DASH8KING

You can live without a tattoo...you can't live without eating....or Dash 8s for that matter...

 Smile
 
Dash8King
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:45 am

RE: Tattoos

Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:42 am

No you can't live without Dash 8's but you can eat baby food instead of solids. I mean who wants to take the risk of choking and dying on solid foods when there are other alternatives like baby food?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 41 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos