Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanb741
Topic Author

I Has In A Tube Train Crash!

Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:58 am

Got home an hour ago where our train derailed at Chancery Lane. I was in the last carriage and we ended up actually ON the platform, and got out through a window which had smashed. No injuries, but other people seemed to have got cut (a lot of them actually after having left the train, as they got cuts from glass on the platform). And to top it all, bloody Southampton couldn't even beat Millwall  Sad
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

mbmbos

RE: I Has In A Tube Train Crash!

Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:02 am

Wow! Sounds like you we very fortunate. Did you get thrown around? Did you brace at all? I suspect that tomorrow you will notice that your muscles are very sore.

Anyway, glad you survived.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

LFutia

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:55 am

Glad to know that your OK. I Found an article on CNN about the Tube Train Crash. Here goes:

LONDON, England -- A train on London's Underground hit a tunnel wall and derailed, injuring scores of people and creating a smoky, frightening and panic-stricken scene beneath the centre of the capital.

British Transport Police said most of those hurt in Saturday's crash, including the train's driver, had suffered smoke inhalation or minor wounds and 32 were taken to hospitals for treatment for minor injuries.

First-aid workers treated others for cuts and bruises at the scene of the crash, which occurred just before 2 p.m. (9 a.m. EDT).

"The cause is not yet known, but there is no suggestion it is terrorist-related or caused by crime," police spokesman Philip Trendall told reporters.

In the months since September 11, London's Tube system, with its confined space and huge passenger numbers, has often been spoken of as a potential terrorist target, and that added to passengers' panic on Saturday.

Those aboard the westbound train described a series of powerful jolts, broken glass flying through the air and a frightening few minutes as some doors stuck and people were trapped inside the train.

Several of the train's cars stopped outside the station and some passengers had to walk through several darkened compartments to escape. Smoke and soot filled the air, they said.

Trendall said the smoke came from dust in the tunnel, and that there was no fire.

"The thing just started shaking, glass was shattering," passenger Shaun MacMahon told AP. "Something snapped underneath when we were at Liverpool Street (several stops away). When we got into Chancery Lane the doors just ripped off. I just couldn't get out, people were panicking."

Claire Ellis, her face covered with black dust, said she had gotten trapped in the train.

"I was absolutely panicking, we couldn't get out, all the lights went out and we could see people running along the platform," she said. "We were thinking `This is it, this is the day it happens."'

London's Underground system is the world's oldest and is often criticised for poor maintenance.

Prime Minister Tony Blair's government plans to partly privatise the Underground, selling off parts of the system to the private sector in a bid to generate 16 billion pounds (US$25 million) in investment for the creaking network.

Mayor Ken Livingstone has vehemently opposed the plan, saying it would create serious safety problems, and is challenging it in European courts.

In November, 1987, 31 people died in a fire at London's King's Cross Underground station caused by a discarded match beginning a fire on an escalator. One of the victims was never identified.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

saintsman

Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:26 am

Don't know what was worse, the crash or the result! Either way you live to fight another day.

Glad you're okay.

aer lingus

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:26 am

Glad you're ok!
A rare event .Under ground train derailed!
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

ryanb741
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:30 am

Thanks guys.

Didn't notice any smoke - but there was loads of what I thought was dust. Maybe it was smoke, but as a smoker it didn't affect me.

Anyway - no major bumps or soreness - yet  Smile
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:37 am

sue em for all they got!  Laugh out loud You could own the tube!

LPL

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:49 pm

Apparently a motor fell of the train - the RFU say that it should have been out of service.

docpepz

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:56 pm

Ryanb741,

I read it in today's papers.... Glad to know you're fine. How on earth did the train derail anyway?

Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:08 pm

RyanB471,

Hope your OK mate. Nasty stuff!

Make sure you see a doctor, and make sure the railway co supplies a councellor for you if you need it.

mb

ryanb741
Topic Author

Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:29 pm

Hi guys

Woke up this morning, feeling mostly fine but a bit of soreness on my backside Big grin from where I was thrown to the floor. Apart from that, no worries, and I am off out to the local Aussie bar to have some Australia Day beers.

G'day all  Big thumbs up

redngold

Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:27 pm

Heard about it on the news over here in Cleveland, Ohio USA. I'm glad to hear that you are safe and uninjured.  Smile

redngold

[Edited 2003-01-27 06:28:46]
Up, up and away!

AMSMAN

Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:14 pm

Geeezzzz, was looking at that on the news...serious stuff.

Well good to hear your ok.

AMS
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

lapper

Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:46 pm

Shit Ryan, glad you're OK.

lapper

Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:39 pm

Ryan, hope you don't mind if I ask, What went through your mind when it happened?

If you prefer not to answer, I understand.

ryanb741
Topic Author

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:14 pm

Hi Lapper

No problem I'll answer (to be honest this hasn't traumatised me a bit - I still get on the tube to work and back as normal).

To be honest, I was quite concerned about the horrible grating noise before the derailment - like a car dragging its exhaust but much louder. You could actually feel the carriage vibrate.

When the derailment occured the carriage seemed to bounce against the walls of the tunnel (I can't be 100% sure because the lights went out) but you could hear the glass smash. Strange thing is I managed to stay on my feet all the time. I wasn't particularly scared or anything - it's not as if with a tunnel wall either side the train can go anywhere, but it was quite what I would call 'unreal' - a bit disorientating. I do remember holding tightly onto my wife's hand as I didn't want her to slip or fall.

When the train stopped the first thing I was worried about was making sure my wife got out, and then I was going to go back in the carriage to make sure everybody else was okay (we could see now because the station lights illuminated the carriage), but a train supervisor manually opened the doors and was getting everyone out. Also, the air was clogged with dust so we were told to evacuate. I then got a taxi home.

Klaus

Ryanb741

Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:21 pm

That sounds nasty... glad to hear you´re okay.

Among other things, I would have missed our ... lively debates around here...  Big thumbs up

(I had actually seen a segment in the german news about it.)

ben

Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:08 am

What worried me is that I am often jammed against one of those doors during rush-hour on the Central Line at that very station (Chancery Lane).

Its ok for the glass to smash and doors to be torn off when most people are seated, but with someone hard against the glass (which is most of the time during the week) it would have been a different story!

lapper

Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:03 am

Ryam you have my utmost respect. I reads in the Metro this morning a letter from someone who was on the tube, and they were saying about how many people just pushed their way past women and children to get off, and the selfless ones who stayed to help others.

Big up to Ryanb741!!!!