Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Anyone Been On The Eurostar?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:09 pm

Dear European and other users,

Has anyone here been on the Eurostar? If so, how does it compare (price wise) with say, flying British Airways/Air France, any other airline from LHR-CDG and vise-versa?

thanks,

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

9V-SVA

RE: Anyone Been On The Eurostar?

Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:31 pm

I've taken the Eurostar. Although it was five or six years ago, the service is rather comfortable(things might have changed). Owing to the fact I've never flown BA/AF from CDG-LHR, I can't comment.

Although it takes about 3 hours, the comfort and scenery make up for it, except for the tunnel bit where it gets oh so boring.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

707CMF

Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:55 pm

I've lived in the UK for 1.5 year, and have been on the Eurostar a lot of times.

Confort is okay if you're not too tall. I see you're younger than 25, you are entitled to return trips for 75 pounds (If that has not changed)

I have flown LHR-CDG just once on BA, my advice, pricewise, Eurostar is chaeper, comfort wise, a plane is just a tad better (okay, if you love planes, it is always better), and timewise, , if you add transit time to the airports, check in/out times, the train takes actually less time.

And to conclude, next Fall, the new rail line opens, and the trip from London to Paris will be just 2 hours and a half

cheers,

Antoine

QANTASforever
Topic Author

Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:31 pm

707cmf,

Fantastique. Merci de l'infomation.

Just wanted to catch a few shows in London while I'm visiting the in-laws in the riviera for Christmas. I'll be looking forward to the new rail line!

Merci Antoine

Thank you 9V-SVA also.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

PerthGloryFan

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:17 pm

Travelled Eurostar Waterloo - Gare Nord in August 2000.
It was part of a RTW trip which had Swissair as our European carrier so we didn't see the point of wasting a whole day getting to LHR then ZRH and back to CDG then transferring into Paris.
Being direct from city centre to city centre gave us an extra half day in Paris.
Our tickets were the cheapest available so comfort was ok - but be warned this is the smoothest train around - once they firewalled the throttle in France there was absolutely no sense of motion - because the scenery close to the train was a complete blur, looking out the window meant focussing on the horizon where there the scenery was relatively still to prevent a weird feeling - like your eyes were telling your brain that you were screaming along yet your body was not detecting any motion!!
In my experiences of the Shinkasen ("bullet train") in Japan at least there were train type noises and motions so all your senses were in sync.
PGF

707CMF

Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:38 pm

Fantastique. Merci de l'infomation.
You're welcome, glad I helped

About the speed, a fun thing to give you an idea of the speed you travel at, is to compare the time it takes to pass another Eurostar when you are still in England and when you are in France. Completely different and impressive.

There was absolutely no sense of motion
That is normal, and due to the fact that Eurostar (and TGV - they are the same) travel at high speed only on dedicated lines, built to be (almost) perfectly plane, straight most of the time, and with the largest curves possible. That is to prevent any accident.
The result is in effect very smooth.

Antoine

VirginLover

Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:27 am

Took it twice, once in 2000, London Waterloo - Paris Gare Nord, and just last August, London Waterloo-Brussels Midi...loved both times, after a long plane ride, the quiet peacefulness of the train was a welcome relief.  Smile

SIA fan

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:24 am

Took it once, back in summer 1996, London Waterloo - Gare du Nord. Fairly comfortable, we were also served breakfast. Train got fast only after we left the UK (due to the difference in the tracks, I believe?). We were delayed about 1.5 hrs due to some problems in the tunnel and they gave us coupons for discounted tickets, which I never used. All in all, a great experience, something that I could brag about in my French class  Big thumbs up
SQ*G BD*S

707CMF

Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:43 pm

were also served breakfast
Just to clarify, breakfast is only offered in 1st class. Not in 2nd/economy.

Antoine

NJTurnpike

Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:56 pm

I went on it back in September of 96, a special round-trip service which went from Wateroo > Paris > Brussels > Waterloo in the same day. As mentioned, the difference between being stuck on Victorian-era metals and the dedicated high-speed lines in France is startling. Not for too much longer, though.

http://www.ctrl.co.uk