Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:42 am

Have you been to France?

Where did you go, and did you like it?

Staffan

707CMF

RE: Have You Been To France?

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:46 am

Yes. I have been to France.

I have been to Paris. Too many bloody tourists. I wouldn't live there.
I have been in Lorainne. Nice, but a bit dead.
I have been in the French Alps. Now, there is a place nice to live in !

(I have lived elsewhere, but then, in the great words of Dorothy, "There's no place like Home")

Antoine, at home in France

jcs17

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:52 am

I've been to France three times. Once with my parents, once with student government, and another time with a group of friends. Each time I visited I went Paris, and with student government we also visited Tours and the Loire Valley for a couple days.

I really like Paris, I dont think the people are as rude as advertised. I really enjoy the old architecture. Tours was pretty boring though...

As I've said before though, I will not go this summer because I do not support the French government's arrogance.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:56 am

Yes I have been to France and it has been a nice place.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airplanetire

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:57 am

I've been to France two times actually. The first time, I just visited Paris and Versailles (southwest a tiny bit of Paris I believe). The second time, I went to several places in the south of France and again Paris. The places in souther France were Carcassone, Nimes, and Avignon, plus the Pont du Gard Aquaduct. I have only good things to say about France! Paris is the best city I've ever been to! The arcitecture is beautiful. The art museums are impressive. The food is great. The churches are amazing and huge. The landmarks are so much fun. There is nothing bad about Paris I don't think. Southern France is wonderful too, especially Avignon and Carcassone. Carcassone is a small walled village that is hundreds of years old. It is like nothing else I have ever seen. The streets are narrow cobblestone, there are neat stores, as with all of France there is good food, and it is just really neat. Nimes was interesting, but I would only recommend seeing it for a day. It didn't really have that small town quaintness, but it wasn't like a big city. It was a good place to see the everyday life of French people though because it is not a really touristy place. Avignon is also one of the most wonderful places that I have been. It is small and has lots of character. The people are some of the nicest that I have ever met and the Palace of the Pope is amazingly huge. Also, take the TGV train if you ever go there. It is an almost silent ride at over 150mph with great scenery depending on where you are on it.

Are you planning on going to France? If you are, I'm sure you'll have the time of your life! Also, about people telling you the French are rude and snobby, don't believe them. I think that the French are just misunderstood. They seem like reserved people, a characterisitic that might come off as rude to those expecting a great big warm welcome, but they are really nice. Just try to make an effort to speak their language. You don't have to know it, but as a gesture of good will, try. It will be appreciated. And be sure by all means to be polite and courteous, especially Americans. We have a bad reputation around the world for being rude, loud, and annoying. Don't reinforce it. Now I see that you from Sweden, so being close by, you may have been to France, but maybe someone would like my travel input.

KAUSpilot

Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:59 am

Yes, in March of 2001 we rode from Lucerne, Switzerland to Paris on a tour bus, and from there drove to Calais and crossed over to the UK on a ferry.

It was a pretty nice drive, although I was a little disturbed at first that instead of toilets, in France they just use holes in the ground (at least in public restrooms).

Paris was nice also, everybody was relatively friendly (not too much of the expected snobbery) but I kept to myself for the most part and tried not to bother any of the locals. I mostly stayed with my group of tourists and took guided tours of the Louvre, the palace at Versailles, the Eiffel tower, a boat ride down the river in the middle of the city, etc. The food was great and most people were willing to speak English and were very accommodating to tourists. Overall I think France is a pretty nice country, there's a lot of things to do and see, historically and culturally.

The worst thing about Paris was when some thieves broke into our tour bus and stole some of souvenirs from Switzerland, Italy, Austria, and Germany.

I am actually planning on going to southern France again this may, I don't anticipate any trouble based on my nationality as long as I keep a low profile and don't go around wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat or anything.

VirginLover

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:03 am

2, going on 3 in less than 2 weeks.... (how anti-American am I?  Smile We planned this trip back in August, when we still liked the French...so Air France here I come!)

First was to Paris...I found the people very nice and the pastries were delicious. We went on a tour, so all we did was see the basic touristy places.
Last August, we went to the Northeastern Corner - the Alsace region, starting in Belgium and making a weird U towards Paris in a week (w/ stops in Switzerland and Germany) Everyone was very nice to us except for the Parisians...we only spent half a day in Paris, and I have stories that can go on for hours from that day  Big grin The countryside was very beautiful and the wine was delicious!
In exactly 13 days, I'll be heading to the Provence region. This time I have 3/4 of a year of French 1 in me (My parents who had taken French back in HS/College spoke for my brother and I, they are far from fluent, but did very well), and 4 years of German rarin' to go...I'm determined not to make myself look like an ugly American - I'm only taking solid color prints, no sneakers, no logos, nothing...however, we're going back on a tour with lots of stereotypical Americas, so I might as well not even try hehe...
I know I might sound silly...but should I really try to hide as much Americanism as possible? Again, I'm going to attempt to speak French first at all times, and respect the culture and not demand everything my way, but should I really hide the fact that I'm American? I heard that the French don't neccessarily hate Americans, but just Bush. I'm also thinking since Provence depends on tourism, they'll be happy to get my money. But I'm still keeping my now-beloved Penn State sweatshirt home...am I overreacting or should I keep doing what i'm doing? Thanks  Smile

EmceeOh

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:12 am

I've been to France once, about seven years ago on a school trip, only to Paris though. I really liked it, Paris is beautiful, and the people were nowhere near as snobby or annoyed with Americans as they're made out to be. But then again, I'd just come from London where everyone is mean to everyone else. I was there again a couple of weeks ago...but only to transit through CDG. Weird airport.

Staffan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:17 am

Yes, I've been there several times myself, in the north, south and east parts. I liked it a lot. Keep the replies coming!

Staffan

prebennorholm

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:35 am

Seven times, but only in Paris.
Paris has a handful of unique attractions. In this respect, don't forget the aircraft museum at Le Burget. I have spent two full days there, and I will be back. Second to only Smithsonian I believe.
Apart from the attractions Paris is just another much too big town. And to be honest - when talking about other much too big towns - then I feel more comfortable (or less discomfort) in Madrid, London, Lisbon or Prague. Maybe it's just the constant smell of burned chestnuts which irritates me.
Next on the agenda is visiting friends in St. Ettienne. That'll be a different story, I assume.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Staffan
Topic Author

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:15 pm

Come on! Nobody else been to France?

Share your stories!

Staffan

Andreas

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:23 pm

Quite often, mostly business trips to Paris and holiday trips to the provence (Manosque and Aix) and to the Ceze/Sabliere region.
I love Paris because I love very large cities in general, coming from one myself (Berlin), the Provence is rather calm in comparison, but nice weather, not too far from the sea and I always thought that's a place to live when I get older.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

CPH-R

Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:39 pm

Been to France a couple of times, mainly at the Cote d'Azur in the summer and the French Alps in the winter (I loooove Espace Killy!) - and then once to Paris to see the sites & go to Eurodisney  Smile

There are 2 things I'd like to get a better view of: The Arc d'Triumphe, since I'd like to see the Unknown Soldier's grave, and a trip to the Les Invalides. I've seen that Alexander Dumas' body has recently been transferred there too, to celebrate his writing.

FLYING MACHINE

Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:30 am

I love France and French people. I had a French girlfriend from Chatellerault.I have to say that in France you eat very good ,great cultural life,the most beautiful girls, etc,. I'd like to live in France,.It is a place where I feel free.

yyz717

Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:36 am

I had to change planes in CDG once. The layover was just long enough to have a big dump between flights.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

silverfox

Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:41 am

Ahhh.. the booze cruises

The stock is getting low... so i had better go

4holer

Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:53 am

At this point, not even if you paid me.
Don't get me wrong, I would like to experience Paris, but I would never go near the place until such time I felt that I wouldn't be a magnet for pissy attitudes or worse.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Jumbolino

Sat Apr 05, 2003 4:02 am

Well, I was in France several time,
First and third was of course Paris, but there are many more lovely citys there.
I was in Rennes before the old town burned out, Lyon and Nice, last mentioned more than one and several time in Mulhouse, of course it's more nearby my home ....
well, the south of france is a pleasure ....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jumbolino.
Kind Regards, Jutta.

KLAX

Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:08 am

Oh yeah, I went to France once. Thing is, I lost the ticket for my return flight, and uhhh, I've kinda been stuck here for two years...  Confused

-CLovis

KROC

Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:19 am

Yet all the while you claim to represent Los Angeles Clovis. We all knew you were fronting anyway.

KLAX

Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:39 am

I'd rather claim LA then be associated with Crapchester NY.

-Clovis

sccutler

Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:41 am

Yes, Paris and environs for a week, loved it. Found the French to be very hospitable.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

JetService

Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:23 am

Went there on business a few years back. First flight on an A300. I liked France and the people weren't as mean as I was told, but not near as nice as Americans. The old architechture was amazing. Food was dreadful, but it was during the time of the euro beef problems so it was understandable (I don't care for fish and I was sick of chicken). I stayed in Paris at the Sheraton.
"Shaddap you!"

EGGD

Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:35 am

Yes a couple of times...

Most recent was with school on a ski trip last Easter. We flew into Lyon and then drove up to Les Deux Alpes, which is a beautiful drive with the exception of Grenoble. The resort was nice, some of the people were assholes but the ski instructors were nice enough, and I thought it was a spectacular place...

EGFF

Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:52 am

Yes, twice .. the first time we stayed in Normandy and the second time was travelling through to get to Germany (Aachen) .. i quite liked it, although getting used to the french language wasn't so easy  Laugh out loud
Regards
Shaun  Smile
All together or not at all

Staffan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:04 am

Still waiting for replies from the most vocal users who blame everything bad in this world on the French. We would love to hear your stories too. Come on, don't be shy!

Staffan

Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:34 am

I don't find the French as rude as visitors from other countries ...

In Europe over the grave of a knight was seen a big fat bloke in shorts and a Hawaiin Shirt standing there with his foot on the grave  Wow! .. to the horror of everyone else watching and listening to the high volume nasal tones of "want me to take a photo Hank?"

Wow!

ADG

DeltaRules

Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:03 pm

Yep- twice.

The first time, August 1999, we entered France in Grenoble, after leaving Switzerland & stayed the night there. The next day, we drove to Aspiran (I think), to stay with our friends from England, who own a house. After we spent a week with them, we drove up & spent the night in the town where the Chenonceau (spelling?) palace is found, saw it, and headed into Paris. After 3 days there, we headed to Calais & picked up the ferry to head to England.

The second time, November 2000, we flew into Paris, and stayed one night in a Holiday Inn on the southern side of the city. We saw Versailles the next day, and headed for Blois. After Blois, we headed to Tours, spent the night there, and on to Rennes, Nantes, Mont St Michel, the beach at Normandy, Caen, and back into Paris, where we met our friends from the UK (I don't know if that's the exact order, but those are the cities we saw.) We also saw just about every palace along the Loire River. Fun trip, but it rained most of the time...

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:31 pm

More lies yyz?

BAck your rants up with some facts ... go on, can you do it?

Or would you rather just sticking to dishonesties to perpetrate your childlike hatred?

ADG

yyz717

Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:39 pm

Yes ADG.....a lie. No one here believes your crap about an American in a Hawaiian shirt. It's just made-up nonsense from a bitter anti-American.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:12 pm

Yes yyz,

Your true colours are revealed, lying name caller .. wow .. i'm so impressed at your ability to hold a conversation like the mature adult you claim to be.

But given your lack of honesty in your statements it really doesn't matter whether you believe me or not. By the way, I was quoting someone else there so you'd better take your anti-american rant up with them. Additionally, it would be prudent for you to learn a little self restraint.

ADG

jcs17

Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:12 pm

In Europe over the grave of a knight was seen a big fat bloke in shorts and a Hawaiin Shirt standing there with his foot on the grave Wow! .. to the horror of everyone else watching and listening to the high volume nasal tones of "want me to take a photo Hank?"

ADG just couldnt help but throw in some flame-bait. Totally shocking, I mean, ADG doesnt like Americans... Whats next? Indianguy professing his love for GW Bush? Your blind hatred ADG, makes you look like that guy "Hank," from your little "story" who you are describing...totally ignorant and completely ridiculous. If your little story is true, you dont even know if they are American...they could just as easily have been Canadian (no offense Canadians...its just that we have close to the same type of accents...except we dont say "eh!").

We have a bad reputation around the world for being rude, loud, and annoying. Don't reinforce it.

Sorry, Diplomat Airplanetire, we will be sure to better represent our country next time we go abroad....we wouldnt want to embarass you.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:24 pm

ADG just couldnt help but throw in some flame-bait. Totally shocking, I mean, ADG doesnt like Americans...

What's really amusing is the immediate jump you have to the fact that they must have been American. ADG doesn't like w.nkers who disrespect graves, you and yyz are the ones who ASSumed they were American?

Your blind hatred ADG, makes you look like that guy "Hank,"

I'd need about 200 more kilos to look like "Hank"  Laugh out loud

from your little "story" who you are describing...

Actually, it's not only a fact my father showed me the photograph.

totally ignorant and completely ridiculous. If your little story is true, you dont even know if they are American...

I never said they were American.

they could just as easily have been Canadian (no offense Canadians...its just that we have close to the same type of accents...except we dont say "eh!").

Again, I never said they were American, in fact I never even inferred it.

We have a bad reputation around the world for being rude, loud, and annoying. Don't reinforce it.

*Some of you* have a bad reputation for just that, do you think that shouldn't be discussed or should you just accept it as a fact and lament the fact that some people ruin it for everyone else.

But then the reason I brought it up was, AS YOU SAY, some people ruin it for everyone else. Some Americans ruin it for Americans and SOME FRENCH RUIN IT FOR ALL FRENCH. Surely the concept is easy to grasp as you fully understand it when applied to Americans.

ADG

SIA fan

Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:49 pm

Been there three times. First was in 1993, went to Paris and Lourdes. Second was in 1995, this time only visited Paris. Third time was in 1996, visited Paris, Nice, Cannes, and Monte Carlo. A great country!
SQ*G BD*S

TWAL1011

Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:51 pm

Nope, but I was thinking about visiting Australia. Is it still safe?

Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:01 pm

France: Yes

Where in France?
-Paris
-Lyon Big grin
-Strasbourg
-Barr

DeltaASA16

WHere have you been TWAL1011???

Staffan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:07 pm

Why doesn't ADG tell us a bit more about where she spent her vacation in France, and how she liked it?

Staffan

Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:05 pm

Staffan,

I don't remember confirming or denying ever being in France.

ADG

gkirk

Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:01 pm

Been through it on the bus on the way to and from Spain. Stopped for breakfast both ways in France, the milk sucked though  Sad
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

AFC_Ajax00

Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:14 pm

Been living in France for 3.5 years now, just outside Paris. Frankly, it has its ups and downs. Life in Paris is great, endless possibilities on a friday night, great food and good looking girls. However older generation French people can be a REAL pain in the ass and alot of them really do smell, (its not a myth). In addition, they are very wary of foriegners. Our neighbors here ignored us for about 6 months, seeing us as arrogant outsiders coming to invade their little world. But I guess on the whole its alright. cheers
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

vickybiccy

Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:32 pm

Yes, many a time.

Lived In Paris for a year when I was 5. Went to school and everything

Spent numerous holidays in France while growing up. Mostly in the Charente and the Dordorgne in the SW.

Two french exchanges, one to Rouen and one to Strasbourg.

Spent 7 months in Evreux, Normandy teaching english to kids as part of my degree.

And my parents have bought a flat in Paris which I have visited twice, and I really want to go again!!

L-188

Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:21 pm

I never made it over myself.

Had a couple of buddies make an overnight trip from our base in Germany once.

Said it was a miserable town to navigate through.

Got a hotel room and then where never able to find it again.

They may still have the key to their room to this day.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Staffan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:14 am

AFC_ajax00,
About the locals being very wary of foriegners who move there, I've experienced the same thing. I thought it was quite odd until someone pointed out that many of the foreigners who come there to live only stay for 2 or 3 years, then they leave again. Maybe after a while it's not very funny to get to know people who just stay for a few years and then leave to never come back again. This might not be the true all the time, but a big chance it is in some of the cases.

Staffan

NoUFO

Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:00 am

I have been to France twice - Paris and southern France.
Actually, I like France (and Scotland and England) better than Germany.
(The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ...)
Food isn't always as good as advertised, though. Some food contain lots of additives.

NoUFO
I support the right to arm bears

flpuck6

Summer 1997 was in France, did a tour of the Loire Valley, Bretagne, Normandie etc...15 day family-stay in Tours, was phenomenal.

Academic year 2000-2001 9 months in Toulouse, France, by far the best 9 months of my life so far.

I have visited the areas above as well as the surrounding areas of Toulouse, Provence (Nimes, Arles, Avignon), the Cote d'Azur, the Pyrenees, and the Alps (skiing in Chamonix is the best!)

Of course, I have been to Paris too, done all the museums blah blah blah...Toulouse is the best.
Bonjour Chef!

flpuck6

Cedarjet,

I am inclined to say that the whole Freedom Fries bullsh*t probably comes from those who have not actually been to France. Complete and utter ignorance.

Anyone heard of an education?
Bonjour Chef!

BNE

Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:49 pm

Yes, for about 8 hours. in 2000,
Left from Southhampton and took the ferry over to Le Havre.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

TSV

Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:05 pm

No but hope to visit (as a tack on to UK visit) later this year after missing out in late 2001.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

TriStar500

Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:07 pm

When I was young, my parents and I used to spend 3 or 4 weeks each year in France in the Aquitaine, Charente-Maritime, the Bretagne (Brittany) and Normandy.

Ever since my first trip to Paris in 1996, I am totally in love with this city and now I am going there at least 2 or 3 times every year for a day or a couple of days.

So yes, I like France. It is one of my three favorite holiday destinations besides Spain and the US.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Ljungdahl

Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:58 am

Yup, 4 times:

Johan (Ljungdahl)