Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caravelle
Topic Author

Buy German And French, America!

Wed May 07, 2003 5:34 am

There is evidently a boycott of French and German goods going on in the US these days. It all started with the war against Iraq, in which the UN wished to take no part. So the US and the UK went it alone.
What makes Americans and Brits more knowledgeable than the rest of us?
What exactly did they find out about Weapons of Mass Destruction, which they claimed to be there, in far away Iraq?
So far, evidence has been conspicuous by its absence.
But the world's only remaining superpower, the US, and its British following, remain undaunted.
There's always the oil. The US and the UK won't be pulling out of the country until stockholder's money has moved in.
Tomorrow, I'll enjoy a sip of great French wine, with some great French cheese, and during the weekend a sip of German Riesling and wursts with Sauerkraut will do me fine.
Just to spite you.

Cheers, America!

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

airworthy

RE: Buy German And French, America!

Wed May 07, 2003 5:39 am

Who cares about boycots?

travelin man

Wed May 07, 2003 5:45 am

There is evidently a boycott of French and German goods going on in the US these days.

This is news to me. I live in the US, and I have yet to meet one person who is actively boycotting French or German goods.

What exactly are you talking about?

caravelle
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2003 5:53 am

Travelin Man,
Does Freedom Fries instead of French fries ring a bell? Rush Limbaugh's homepage? O'Reilly's? The whole Fox TV setup? And other pages loaded with contempt? Google, and you'll find. But I'm glad you seem a sensible fellow.
Just so as you know, I love America and Americans, but I'm deeply disappointed with some of your attitudes.

- caravelle

USAirways737

Wed May 07, 2003 5:59 am

Just because some cocky tv guy decides to boycott a certain countries products doesn't mean we all are zombies and do exactly what he says. I also have not met one person who is boycotting foreign goods because of their stance on war.

It appears you've been more brainwashed by the media than even us stupid Yanks.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

UAL747

Wed May 07, 2003 6:02 am

I have also not met ANYONE who is boycotting French or German products, and I live in the most right-wing state in the country. Texas.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

caravelle
Topic Author

Wed May 07, 2003 6:04 am

USAirways737,
I'm glad you prove me wrong.
Cheers! This Bud's for you!
 Big thumbs up

- caravelle

STT757

Wed May 07, 2003 6:09 am

"There is evidently a boycott of French and German goods going on in the US these days. It all started with the war against Iraq, in which the UN wished to take no part"

Not sure which UN your talking about but the UN on the Upper East Side of Manhattan has had sanctions against Iraq for the last 11 years, they also had 17 resolutions declaring Iraq should dis-arm or else.

The last resolution came in October of 2002, it passed Unamously with no dissenting of absenting votes.

The US and UK were set to have a second Security Council vote, the President even declared they would "call the whip" a week before the vote was to take place no matter the outcome. Just to give the members a chance to publicly state their support or opposition to the resolution.

But for whatever reasons France declared they would veto any vote no matter what, meaning the members would not have a chance to voice their approval or dis-approval of the resolution.

So to say the UN wanted no part is inaccurate, they unamously approved resolution 1441 in October of 2002 which called for Iraq to dis-arm. Then French then blocked a second vote.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Wed May 07, 2003 6:10 am

There's no "boycott", but some French industries are not getting as much business from the US as they did prior to the UN Fiasco.

travelin man

Wed May 07, 2003 6:18 am

Does Freedom Fries instead of French fries ring a bell? Rush Limbaugh's homepage? O'Reilly's? The whole Fox TV setup? And other pages loaded with contempt? Google, and you'll find

Just because some right wing radio talk show hosts have France and Germany as their targets du jour (so to speak) does NOT mean that there is an active boycott of French and German goods going on.

You would be hard-pressed to find folks actively boycotting French & German goods. (And my guess is that you would probably find an equal number of Europeans "boycotting" American goods. It works both ways, you know.)

Confuscius

Wed May 07, 2003 7:36 am

Ain't I a stinker?

KLAX

Wed May 07, 2003 8:56 am

Caravelle you are once again demonstrating how little you know about the US so why dont you just stuff it.
You're just exposing your lack of knowledge dude, so until you get a clue, I dont think many here are going to care...

-Clovis  Angry

Alpha 1

Wed May 07, 2003 10:56 am

Maybe there is no real organized boycott of French goods, especially, but it is there.

I saw an ad in USAToday, I think it was, not long ago, touting some British product, with the title "Our #1 Ally Comes Through Again", and in the bottom of the list, in bold italics, it said the French product was rated last, and should be avoided.

I also know a local upscale French Restaurant has lost about 80% of it's business since the beginning of the year. This doesn't hurt France, only local people who could lose their job because of people's own stupidity, and their listening to the voices of the ignorant and intolerant who think Bush is some sort of God who no one should contradict, and that the U.S. can do whatever the fuck it wants, and to hell with the rest of the world.

My perfect, take-this-Bush-and-shove-it week would be to take a nice bottle of French wine and drink it at a Dixi Chicks concert.  Big thumbs up

PPGMD

Wed May 07, 2003 12:00 pm

Myself, never bought any French products to begin with. German on the other hand, well I already won my BMW  Big grin
At worst, you screw up and die.

IMissPiedmont

Wed May 07, 2003 12:56 pm

Whoa there KLAX. I presume that Caravelle is subject to similar propagande we here in the US get. Hence he is fed the "top" stories. There has indeed been a very small segment of the US ultra right trying to get people to boycott French and German products. Note how quickly they sensed how absurd it was and backed off.

Caravelle, I can assure you again that nobody with the slightest bit of intellect is boycotting because of the Iraq situation.

I'm just waiting to go somewhere to order french toast and being told they serve "freedom toast." I'll tell them that I shall never darken their door again and leave. I have yet to see it though, even at the pure rednack joints I frequent. Must be a yuppie thing.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Alpha 1

Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 pm

Caravelle, I can assure you again that nobody with the slightest bit of intellect is boycotting because of the Iraq situation.

That's a pretty damning statement for about 60% of the American people, and rightfully so, IMissPiedmont.

L-188

Wed May 07, 2003 1:17 pm

I would try, but Tucher Beer does not have a distribitor in Alaska  Crying

http://www.tucher.de
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

STT757

Wed May 07, 2003 1:18 pm

Alpha 1 ,

Your becoming the Micheal Moore of Airliners.net, your further to the left than Bush, Limbaugh are to the right.

Being extreme is not good, whether it's to the left or to the right.

IMissPiedmont

Wed May 07, 2003 2:27 pm

But I even know some true idiots that could not think their way out of a wet sack who think that the boycott was a stupid idea. Of course they know less than I of anyting French and could not tell me what continent it's on but at least they accept the fact that not every nation on earth must accept US policy.

Alpha 1, 60%? Even I, in my cynical advanced age, think that the number is maybe 1/10 that. By the way, when did you become an ultra left member?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

racko

Thu May 08, 2003 12:46 am

Alpha 1 a leftist? More left than Bush is right? Are you kidding? Being as left as Bush is right would be pretty much communism in my opinion, and Alpha 1 is miles away from that.

STT757

Thu May 08, 2003 1:13 am

"Alpha 1 is miles away from that"

More like mili-meters.

aloges

Thu May 08, 2003 1:54 am

At least you don't boycott each other's length units...

As for Alpha 1, he just seems like the guy who always points out what he thinks is going wrong. No matter whether he has to punch to the right or left.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

caravelle
Topic Author

Sun May 11, 2003 11:09 pm

As I pointed out out early on in this thread, I was glad to be proven wrong by a number of American members here... I still drink my California wine, not being a whisky man I don't do Bourbon, but a Coke is great any time. And though I don't like McDonald's much, it's because of the taste. Burger King is better by far.
Great pity, but Clovis/Klax seems to make me think I'm right to be prejudiced, but so be it.
Let him stew.
No US boycott here....

- caravelle

airplay

Sun May 11, 2003 11:54 pm

Boycott German products? Like Chrysler cars?

French products? How about Airbus? Oops. That would hurt the UK too...How about Michelin? I hear Goodyear tires don't blow up and kill people as much as they used to! And send back all those Falcon business jets. Even though they are arguably the best flying things out there.

The point here is that in a globalized economy, where France and Germany (ant the rest of the EU) are so intertwined with North America's economy, it is not just loathe to boycott, it is stupid.

MxCtrlr

Mon May 12, 2003 5:54 am

Personally, I find the whole thing with renaming "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" and so on to be stupid bullshit by people with plenty better to do with their time. These are some of the same idiots who are bashing the current Administration over the economy and other such issues. Well guess what folks? Bush can only do - or not do - so much (not an endorsement or criticism, just an observation) - The rest is up to the idiots renaming French Fries (which aren't French) and French Toast and French Kissing! What a load of crap!  Yeah sure Then they pat themselves on the back and tell themselves what a "Great Thing" they have done! Pompous, egotistical walking wastes of DNA - ALL OF THEM!  Pissed

As for a boycott of French or German goods, most of the people I know think it is a stupid waste of time. I'm certain that the average French or German citizen doesn't give a rat's ass whether we boycott their goods or not - I know I certainly don't!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

delta-flyer

Mon May 12, 2003 6:32 am

Does anyone have any data that suggests there is a US boycott of French or German goods and services? What I see above is just unsubstantiated hype.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Mon May 12, 2003 6:51 am

Delta-flyer,

Talk show host Bill O'Reilly is currently advocating a boycott of all French goods (but not, say, German or Russian ones), and there are others like him. Of course, most Americans are too mature for this kind of nonsense, but a few unsophisticated loudmouths of a certain political persuasion can cast a negative light on the US as a whole. I hope the French realize that America's silent majority sees this very differently than O'Reilly and his ilk.

[Edited 2003-05-11 23:52:03]

VirginLover

Mon May 12, 2003 6:54 am

I went to France in April, and took Air France, and I'm American  Big grin

delta-flyer

Mon May 12, 2003 7:14 am

Talk show host Bill O'Reilly is currently advocating a boycott of all French goods ..... but a few unsophisticated loudmouths .... cast a negative light on the US as a whole.

O'Reilly has every right to advocate what he likes. If people form their opinions of the US based on that, perhaps they, too, are similarly "unsophisticated".

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Mon May 12, 2003 8:57 am

Delta-flyer wrote:

O'Reilly has every right to advocate what he likes.

Of course he does... and I have every right to call him an unsophisticated loudmouth.

If people form their opinions of the US based on that, perhaps they, too, are similarly "unsophisticated".

I agree with you there. Just as I'm confident that most Americans are mature enough to realize the stupidity of these boycotts, I'm sure that most Europeans are mature enough to know that O'Reilly does not speak for most Americans in this matter.

[Edited 2003-05-12 02:29:51]

windshear

Tue May 13, 2003 12:33 am

Then why are the EU unofficially boycotting Israeli products?
This hurts the leftist kibbutzes the most???

I know for sure that my country (Denmark) are being unofficially boycotted because of our support for the war, and I know the French are officially boycotting the US, why not vice versa?

Well I think boycotting is wrong, especially if you look at the ties we have had to each other!
And BTW Burger King is not American, it's British!

I would love to see more community feeling in Europe, it's like we don't really want to be united, like we still want to think that our country is the best of the best, and personally I think France and Germany are terribly nationalistic  Sad

coming from Denmark, a small country just above Germany we sure can feel the "size does matter" type of tones from Germany and France  Sad
And the way Chirac threatened and degraded the new Eastern European EU countries...Shit I am surprised that they even want to speak to France again.

I think this is about feeling like we are connected to each other, each country is amazing, and so is France, Germany and the US, we just have got to try to over come that high horse attitude, that I have heard so much of in the news lately, it's really sad to see Europe being split over this Iraq thing, but not only did it show how stubborn the US is (like that though) but also how much Germany and France anticipated that the rest of Europe would follow in queue, just as the same kind of things they thought about the US!

Well in the words of true meaning: "What the world needs now, is love sweet love..." Heh love that ol' hippie music  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

No really I think we must unite and be strong for the sake of tomorrow's children...
Boaz...
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

Andreas

Tue May 13, 2003 12:59 am

Excuse me..but who is boycotting who?

Ok, speaking only for the country I live in: Germany is boycotting exactly who? Israel or Denmark? Or even America???

How did you come up with that and which goods and services are you talking about?

Because I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

Besides Germany never tried to coax anybody into following but kept to its position, that's all.The German people were against war, about 90%, and that's what Chancellor Schroeder said. Ok, the way he said it was not always...let's say diplomatic, but to keep one's cool after what Bush and Rumsfeld said was probably not that easy.

And to call Germany 2003 nationalistic, well ok, I don't want to get personal, but that is by far the largest heap of bullshit I've heard or read for quite a long time. Germany is the most anti-nationalistic nation there is in the whole EU since WWtwo, except when talking about football Big grin. btw: That's what I like about Germany...the lack of openly displayed nationalism!

Do you ever visit your southern neighbour or watch German TV or so? No probably not, but please do get some info before post statements like this!

As for your conclusions: I'm with you there, utterly and completely, and I'm not even a hippy Big grin Big grin Big grin

[Edited 2003-05-12 18:01:53]
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

caravelle
Topic Author

Tue May 13, 2003 3:24 am

Way to go, Andreas, and I'm not being flippant. Germany, as opposed to other axis countries from WW2 has really made an effort to deal with its fascist past. Japan comes to mind - according Japanese authorities, there may have been a few "comfort women" in Korea, but surely.... And they may have had a few concentration scamps scattered around, but nothing reallys serious happened... Blah!

Germany today is not nationalistic. Nazi Germany was. German soldiers killed my grandfather and wounded my grandmother during the invasion of Norway.

But this is the past. For the last fifty years, since Adenauer and Brandt, Germany has played a constructive role in Europe, and it is in our common interest as Europeans that they continue doing so.

- caravelle

Tue May 13, 2003 6:52 am

Before boycotting some (supposedly) "French" products... USA should educated theirselves where the things they boycott are really from...
xxx
French toast is the USA name for what is known, in French language, as "pain perdu", which is not necessarily French food...
xxx
French fries... the French people theirselves, say that fries are "Belgian"... "ces belges et leur frites"... nothing necessarily French about fries...
xxx
Nestle is a Swiss chocolate... not French...
xxx
The "Smurfs" are not a French cartoon, but cartoon by Peyo, a Belgian...
xxx
Grey Poupon mustard you buy in USA is made in USA... learn to read the labels, America...
xxx
When I lived in USA, my last car had Michelin tires, said "made in USA" on them, with US DOT markings, etc...
xxx
French vanilla coffee... never seen that in France... Starbucks, yes...
xxx
I remember these Foster's beer commercials on tv in USA... Australian for beer... bla bla bla... imported... bla bla bla... imported from where? The Foster's sold in USA is brewed in Canada - learn to read America, inform yourselves, America... deceptive advertising, right... typically USA tradition...
xxx
America loves to call everything "French"... French restaurant... French this and French that... to make it more French, throw a few French words here and there, put an accent on a letter, looks French... then they start to boycott all French items... (things they decided to call French)...
xxx
(s) Skipper  Big grin

MD-90

Tue May 13, 2003 12:53 pm

Ual747, I think Alabama could challenge Texas as being the most right-wing state. Texas does have some dissenters down on the border, those red counties that voted for Gore.

docpepz

Tue May 13, 2003 4:17 pm

With the Euro at an all time high, it is understandable if Americans avoid European goods cos they're too expensive.... (It's just a simple issue of supply and demand)

Schoenorama

Tue May 13, 2003 9:08 pm

Some Confusion On Boycot

From O'Dwyer's PR Daily Report:

"More than half of U.S. consumers say they would take into account whether a company is from a country that did not support the U.S. invasion of Iraq before buying stock, according to a Fleishman-Hillard /Wirthlin Worldwide poll of 1,000 adults, ' O'Dwyer's PR Daily reports. "Consumers who advocate and have taken part in boycotts of goods made in those countries were found to be white, mid- to upper-income, conservative Republicans, according to the survey.' There is some confusion, however, among those surveyed as to country of origin of many brands. For example, 64 percent said Grey Poupon mustard is French (it's from the U.S.). Despite its well-chronicled PR efforts, French's mustard was identified by 29 percent of respondents as French. Seventy-eight percent said Universal Pictures is a U.S. company (it's owned by France's Vivendi). Then there's the 42 percent who said Saab is German (originally from Sweden, it was bought by General Motors), the 55 percent who said Bayer is from the U.S. (German), and the 70 percent who said Heineken is German (it's brewed in the Netherlands)."
(See http://www.fleishman.com/news/pr041703.html for the complete report).
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!