Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

david b.
Topic Author

Foreign Language Requirements

Sat May 17, 2003 3:39 am

What are the foreign language requirements in you high school/college.

I think it is a little excessive here in NYS. 2 Years in JHS. 3 Years in HS and if you don't exceed a 85 on the regents, 1 year in college. I realize a foreign language might be important but this is a little too much I think.

It seems like non-english speakers don't even have to learn the language.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

jwenting

RE: Foreign Language Requirements

Sat May 17, 2003 3:49 am

When I was at school it was German French and English plus Latin and Greek for 3 years, after that at least one each out of both groups (so German, English OR French plus Latin OR Greek).

That's in addition to Dutch which is of course mandatory for graduation here.
I wish I were flying

seb146

Sat May 17, 2003 4:01 am

When I was in school, it was optional to learn a second language. I took Spanish but the only other language available to me was French. I made the right choice since I work and play with many Spanish speaking people!

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

PPGMD

Sat May 17, 2003 4:10 am

Well most high schools have no requirement, but many colleges require at least two years in a single language, or at least look very favorably on those that have two years.
At worst, you screw up and die.

aloges

Sat May 17, 2003 5:45 am

I took English from the beginning of 5th grade and French from the beginning of 7th grade, what's when I could choose between French and Latin. I took Latin voluntarily in grades 9, 10 and 12, being on student exchange in 11th grade.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

airplanetire

Sat May 17, 2003 5:52 am

At my high school, we must either take two years of the same language and a fine arts/career technology class, or three years of the same foreign language. The school offers Spanish, French, German, and Latin. I'm taking Spanish and am in my third year. I took my first in middle school and the way we do our schedules, we take four classes every day for a semester (as opposed to every other day like at a lot of schools), so we finish a year's worth in a semester, thus I am in my third year now. I will be continuing on further though because foreign languages really interest me.

srbmod

Sun May 18, 2003 4:52 am

When I was in High School (10 years since I graduated, damn I'm getting old!), in order to graduate with a College Prep Seal on your diploma you had to take two years of a foreign language (German, French, Spanish, or Latin; other schools in the system actually offered Japanese and Russian at that time as well). I actually took three years of German (third year was for elective credits. I'm glad I took that third year, because in College I only had to take one quarter of German to satisfy my Foreign Language requirement (I took two quarters, because it had been a year between my third year of German and the collegiate course, so I took the college equivalent of a German III course to get back up to speed for the German IV course, which I took that Summer Quarter and made an A).

LH423

Sun May 18, 2003 3:38 pm

My high school had a mandatory requirement of two years of foreign language. Because I was such a geek I took four and now am practically fluent in French. Tant pis pour moi!  Big grin

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

L-188

Sun May 18, 2003 3:43 pm

That "No Child left Behind" law is really throwing schools up here for a loop.

For most of the kids out on the Yukon and Kuskowim river deltas, English is the second language, Yupik is the one they speak at home.

This is really screwing up the 3rd grade testing out here because most children up until that level at taught in Yupik. But the 3rd grade benchmark test is in english, so they are taking a test in a forgien language.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

asbg

Sun May 18, 2003 9:29 pm

Although I am an English speaker from home I took English from 4th grade. I also took Arabic for 3 years between 7th to 9th.

Sam.

BFS

Mon May 19, 2003 8:15 pm

In my school it was:

First year - Irish, French and Latin

2nd/3rd year - Irish/Spanish or German (or music instead)
And French and Latin

4th/5th year - At least one of French, Irish, German or Spanish
Latin optional

A-level - All languages optional

USAFHummer

Tue May 20, 2003 6:20 am

I believe its 2 or 3 years of a language at my high school, which offers Spanish, French, German, and Latin...not quite sure what the exact requirement is...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Tue May 20, 2003 3:40 pm

My high school didn't require diddly, but it was recommended... I took up through French 4 (non-AP), and I managed to get into this program at Virginia that lets me get out of all my distribution requirements, so (heavy french accent) NO MORE FRANCAIS POUR MOI!!! *HONHONHONHONHONHON*

FLY 8

Tue May 20, 2003 6:46 pm

ASBG, is hebrew (hopefully spelled correct) an arabic language?? I really don´t know. Is it similar or completly different? Where is the language comming from? And what about the letters?

Thank you for your answers!

FLY 8!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

flyboy36y

Wed May 28, 2003 3:57 pm

Actually, I think that NYS has loose requierments. I wish they were tougher.

LFutia

Fri May 30, 2003 5:37 am

When i was living in 'Jersey it was mandatory that you had at least 2 yrs of a foreign language. now in Illinois, its optional. Although i really want to learn Dutch as me and my friend and her friend who speaks german are moving to Amsterdam in 9 yrs.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

bobrayner

Fri May 30, 2003 6:49 am

is hebrew (hopefully spelled correct) an arabic language?? I really don´t know. Is it similar or completly different? Where is the language comming from? And what about the letters?

They're both hamito-semitic languages, I was taught, but that's about it.

In other words; they are related, but only very distantly. No mutual intelligibility. The script is very different, too.
Cunning linguist