Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Andreas
Topic Author

Euro Song GP: T.a.t.u. And Other Crybabies!

Wed May 28, 2003 5:06 pm

Hello everybody!!

This goes to all those who had to endure this "show" with which the European music scene hit rock bottom quality-wise!!

Now wasn't it terrible??? Some basic knowledge in the art of singing is obviously rather hindering if you want to enter the contest...I've never heard so many disharmonic songs in one show, worst of all:

t.a.t.u.: Good Lord these snotnosed brats should never ever try to sing live onstage, it's terrible, I thought the glass on the monitor could shatter...

The Brits: MUAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only permanently a half-tone away from music, but also somehow not able to grip the rhythm...didn't I love it?? Yes I did!! I was waiting for someone to say out loud:

United Kingdom.......NIL POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a terrible shame for a country that brought us bands like the Beatles, Stones, Eurythmics, Who.....

and for [email protected]LHR: Yes I know: 5:1 signed England, but let me tell you, last Saturday, it was

53:0 Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....that goes pretty well with 3 World Championships, 4 finals, 3 European Championships etc etc etc. don't you think Big grin Big grin Big grin

Even the winner song...ahem...the Lady should take some lessons, the higher notes were...ear-shattering!

I liked Austria because the message there was clear: This is a joke, and a not very good one anymore...other than that, lots of semi-nude girls, as blond as it gets, one rather ugly "Pumuckl" from Germany, but at least she didn't try to deafen the audience and maybe...just maybe Ralph Siegel finally got the message and retires...HOPEFULLY TO ENGLAND!!!!!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

777236ER

RE: Euro Song GP: T.a.t.u. And Other Crybabies!

Wed May 28, 2003 5:15 pm

Now personally, I think all foreign policy should be based on the Eurovision Song Contest. Nil points? Let's pull out of the EU! I wish someone would elect me Prime Minister.

So you got more points than us in the Eurovision, big deal! 5-1, two wars and our general George Bush says we're better than you, so nyah!  Big grin
Your bone's got a little machine

Rickster

Wed May 28, 2003 5:29 pm

hey i was first, but ok we got more points so i have asked to delete mine. I didn´t watch this for some years now. This year it became interesting again just because of our trash song. It was not even promoted on our radio stations. While i missed the performances until the voting started - the real fun watching this- i was sitting there with an open mouth seeing Austria rotating around in the top 5 until the end.

The 0 for the UK was political....

That Germany ended up in the middle well....

The winner song - without the belly dance performance - usual turkish pop...

The guy from cyprus TV had a very fancy flamenco body language....

The Russians - no commend...

Were was this one very blond women from telling us points the points in french?

Cheers Rickster

TriStar500

Wed May 28, 2003 5:35 pm

IMO the real scandal was that the German contribution still gained enough points to rise up to 12th rank. Big grin

What a total unimaginative load of nonsense - and what a terrible performer. Believe me, Germany DOES HAVE pretty girls, too, even if it didn't seem to be that way last Saturday.  Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

aviationmaster

Wed May 28, 2003 5:35 pm

I found the Austrian one pathetic Big grin

VonRichtofen

Wed May 28, 2003 6:15 pm

Damn, I wish they televised this in Canada, it must have been hilarious!

I suppose if I had sattelite I could've seen it.

Ah well.

AMSMAN

Wed May 28, 2003 6:20 pm

The Russian one was fantastic but the Austrian one really made me laugh!!!

I like the German one to - bit of a jingle to it.
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 6:32 pm

OOOPS sorry Rickster, I pressed the post button and went into a meeting...mea culpa, my my aren't we civilized today *gggg*?

YES that lady from France was drunk or shitfaced or both...absolutely great, and they didn't let her babble on, what a scandal!!

TriStar: The German song will be the number one song blaring from all wagons during CSD parade...Let's get happy, let's get gay MUAHAHA!!!!!!
Let and old guy like Meinunger write the words and you'll end up like this!!!

777236ER: Why thank you!!! Big grin I mentioned 5-1 first btw, and where the hell is [email protected]LHR when we need him most Big grin Big grin
But the best was the reaction in the British yellowpress, absolutely great, I nearly wet myself on Monday morning when I read the press review!!!

But really: 53-0 sounds absolutely terrible, I'd die from embarassment, if I were a Brit, which I'm fortunately not, I mean..one title in football and that was cheated, too, and now 53-0...OHMYGOD!!!!

airsicknessbag

Wed May 28, 2003 6:33 pm

The Russians were the best, simply because they are professionals - they know how to do a show, grip the audience etc. The others were just wooden amateurs.

I also liked the Polish song very much, but more for its political message rather than the artificial merit - I´m not that much into bad Groenemeyer copies...

Speaking of bad copies: that Turk was just a (bad) mix of Mrs. Mebarak Ripoll (aka "Shakira") and Mr.Tevetoglu (aka "Tarkan") from Alzey.

And the Belgians, omg - ok, it was Saturday night, I had had some alcohol (otherwise I wouldn´t have endured that) - but somehow the singers seemed to be impeded in their vocal articulation abilities. Jeeze...

Daniel Smile

Rickster

Wed May 28, 2003 6:41 pm

Besides yelling the german song on csd as you mentioned, pictures from yelling drunks in mallorca are coming up yelling "Haserl haben Naserl" "Kakerlaken mit Rote Backerln"
 Wink/being sarcastic rickster (never create pix)

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 6:41 pm

The Russians professional? Never ever, they know how to handle the media, but the song was terrible, their voices absolutely earshattering...btw their first hit was a rip-off of that ketchup song, so where's the news here??
It was the girlies and the boys who are fans of that ridiculous "comedia lesbiana " who voted for them!!

Well I have to admit from number 10 onwards I watched Aktuelles Sportstudio and just had short glimpses of the....ahem ...songs. My team made second place in the end and got into Champions league...YAY!!!!!!!

btw: Tarkan from Alzey...that sounds as if we should have sent this guy to Riga Big grin

btw2: Rickster, could you post the words of the Austrian song? I'm afraid I didn't understand that much...there was something like "Katzerl ham Tatzerl"..
but I loved that hardrock interlude...absolutely smashing!

[Edited 2003-05-28 11:54:40]

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed May 28, 2003 6:54 pm

Fantastic! Now I can voice my views on the fantastic night of Eurovision!

Well I thought this year was a very high quality year song and performance wise.

I'm so glad that Turkey won instead of Belgium. I was just routing for anyone but Belgium in the end. A country with four languages singing an imaginary one? Trad? Yes. Urban? Ewww. For shame!

As for Turkey - a wonderful performance though the encore was a little worse for wear.

I like Icelands - we should go there some time.

A surprisingly weak song from Malta.

Tatu was utter rubbish. No groping, kissing or even a touching of fatty flesh in the chest. Also, the singing was weak and they failed to be able to keep the microphone directly in front of their mouths.

The UK - well. Poor performance and a lick of the lips at the end from the girl. Sabotage maybe? Deservedly got nul points but otherwise an Ok song.

I always like the Croatian entries and this year was no exception. Hooray for her - I am learning the words.

France brought in a traditional romantic "French" song which failed to score highly again.

Poland's peace anthem was distracted by the man's awful sandpaper voice.

Spain and Portugal were good as was Greece who should have got more votes.

Ireland put on what I think was a song that they thought would win the competition.

The Netherlands did well.

Germany - Not much to say about them. "Let's get happy and let's be gay!"

Sweden did an Abba-rey song which was good - should have scored more.

Latvia - bah. Estonia - bah.

Bosnia put in another power to the women song. Hmm. Good but not that good.

Israel were never going to win many points but the song and performance was good.

Cyprus - not spectacular.

Hooray for Turkey I say. Good that we're moving out of the bloody baltics and that we're going to a warmer climate. Also, it's good to see that Turkey won being a Muslim country - for some reason that has particular appeal to me - and that they can say that this is a step closer to them being in the EU.

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airsicknessbag

Wed May 28, 2003 7:11 pm

>>>The Russians professional? Never ever, they know how to handle the media

Isn´t just that a very good definition of professionalism  Smile/happy/getting dizzy ?

>>>Well I have to admit from number 10 onwards I watched Aktuelles Sportstudio

I was in Greece - so the only alternative programmes were kind of unwatchable.
(But then, movies are not dubbed in Greek but get only subtitles. Got to watch some movies in English - an unexpected treat.)

>>>My team made second place in the end and got into Champions league

What a sad weekend - Werder losing the UEFA cup place, Dortmund losing the CL place, Leverkusen not going down, Mainz not going up.

>>>Tarkan from Alzey...that sounds as if we should have sent this guy to Riga

Well, maybe a little further east in the former Empire of Evil. Say, Siberia...

>>>Also, it's good to see that Turkey [...] can say that this is a step closer to them being in the EU.

You don´t really think that such a rubbish event will make any difference on the Turkey/EU relationship, do you??? There are slightly more pressing issues (Cyprus, human rights, economy in shambles, geography etc.)...

Daniel Smile

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 7:27 pm

Quote:
What a sad weekend - Werder losing the UEFA cup place, Dortmund losing the CL place, Leverkusen not going down, Mainz not going up.

Yes as far as Leverkusen is concerned, you're right!!
Dortmund...now as champion of the season before I just expect a little bit more than just lukewarm air...I know a few guys from Dortmund who told me sometimes they wished that Dortmund gets down into second league!!

Mainz...ok, but as I work in Frankfurt: The way to Waldstadion is just not as far as Mainz Big grin otherwise I couldn't care less!!

Stuttgart, well they deserved it, it was fun to watch, and at least there are a few young players for the national team coming up!

btw: back to the thread: I think it's a very short-lived professionalism, that lesbian gag wears thin already and other newspapers than Bild and the likes don't give a shit anyway...those two girlies are the same as DSDS, both were found via a talent contest, and can you imagine a gay duo Alex Kueblboeck starting for Germany next year? Hopefully not!

Banco

Wed May 28, 2003 8:14 pm

Well, I suppose some kind of political backlash against the UK entry was inevitable. With that in mind, it was recommended that the entry doesn't put in such a dire display! They deserved to do badly, perhaps getting nothing was a touch excessive but it was a dreadful performance.

One thing, Andreas. We might be the nation that gave you the Beatles, Stones and Who, but even if anyone of that magnitude wanted to enter (and they'd rather die than do so), the UK entry is limited to unknowns, not anyone who has a professional music history.

Still, we're immune from relegation. Mainly because the UK pays for such a large proportion of the event.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 8:37 pm

Banco, I know that...the same in Germany, but actually a win wouldn't be granted for the Stones...you have to cater to the taste of the yellowpress AND girlie AND boygroup audience, and most big names wouldn't be able to do that!

but really, that political thing about the revenge for Iraq is completely useless, even idiotic: Even countries like Spain and most eastern European countries, that were on your side, did give you...NIL POINTS!

I agree, the song was certainly not worse than most other entries, but the way it was done was way-sub-zero-level...if you can't sing semi-playback, don't do it or at least try to exercise a little bit, these two didn't get the tone right and they missed the rhythm by at least half a beat. (Sorry but as an amateur drummer I was tempted to throw my glass of wine into the telly, which I didn't fortunately, the wine was too good!)

btw: Germany is immune to relegation, too, out of the same reasons, and especially last year and this year I thought it would be a perfect time to change that for good!...for both countries!!

Otherwise...good to be back on non-av, where else can we discuss such burning topics in such a civilised way!

mika

Wed May 28, 2003 8:43 pm

t.A.T.u didn't actaully even rehearse (sp?). The live show was the first time that they did the song on stage.

Though i do agree that the song they put up was real bad. Their latest album is mighty good, far better than the song they performed in the ESC.

TriStar500

Wed May 28, 2003 8:53 pm

If it wouldn't have been for the excellent (not judging the content, but the way it was orchestrated) PR campaign beforehand, t.A.T.u. would have ended among the last four or six ranks judging from their really shabby performance and half-assed preparation.

My advice to our very own Mr.Siegel: next time you send a goblin to the contest, make sure there's a story related to her (like, she is a witch and likes dancing naked in the woods or something equally stupid). Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Banco

Wed May 28, 2003 9:03 pm

Andreas, they said that the monitors were playing up, so they couldn't hear properly. Believe that if you will.

I agree that the Stones wouldn't have a prayer, but then we've also got rather a large cast of other possibilities haven't we?  Big grin

I reckon Elton John would be the one!

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 9:10 pm

Banco:
Elton...given the terrible noise he's producing lately...yes that would probably be the one!!

As for those monitors...well, why not say it as it is: we were crap, so what!!
But 53-0 does sound nice Big grin Big grin Big grin, much better than 5-1 etc etc etc.

TriStar: Cool idea except...who would want to know that with a contestant like Lou??? I'd run screaming and searching for cover!!!

Banco

Wed May 28, 2003 9:13 pm

Actually, Andreas, most people here are extremely amused about the whole thing. As you know, we take the contest less than seriously over here.  Big grin

Of course, I could point out how many times we've won it in the past, but that would be such a GERMAN thing to do....!  Big grin

[Edited 2003-05-28 14:21:37]

TriStar500

Wed May 28, 2003 9:17 pm

Andreas,
The whole Eurovision contest would usually see me screaming and running for cover. Under normal circumstances I would never watch such a show and listen to this kind of "music".

However, it has become sort of a tradition among my friends to meet, watch the show and get totally trashed while checking out and commenting the performances of the various "artists" and the... er... let's call it "looks" of the female participants. Big grin

Sort of like going to a soccer game, but in the comfort of your own home.  Big thumbs up

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 9:23 pm

5 times, and actually it seems to me that the Brits are currently not really amused whereas we continental Europeans...well, as you can see above, we were having a lot of fun, and we believe 53-0 is VERY FUNNY!...especially since we believe most songs were crap, too...right from the very top of the list.

But you're right...many countries try to turn this into a political thing, like Scandinavians always trying to help each other, the same with Baltic states, Turkey and Greece and Cyprus...that is really unfunny, but in the end it's the commenting of that that keeps being funny, like i.e. they gave us Iraq back Big grin Big grin Big grin

Rickster

Wed May 28, 2003 9:27 pm

and there was nothing else on tv - and lot´s of prosecco in the fridge...
grinz

Banco

Wed May 28, 2003 9:28 pm

You've actually intrigued me here, Andreas. Does the amusement stem from Britain's domination of pop music and the irony of then getting nothing or something else? Genuine question.

virgin744

Wed May 28, 2003 9:41 pm

Airsicknessbag,
Are you implying that Turkey is not geographically European enough? Cos if thats the case then how would Cyprus be eligable? They are closer to Turkey & Syria than any other european country.....  Nuts

Virgin744

http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/601.gif

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 9:45 pm

Rickster: In my case it was Spanish red wine...very delicious and somehow it makes you feel funny, too.

Banco: A serious question, hm, let's see if I can cope with that:

Talking about myself I'm a big music fan, mostly classic, jazz and nujazz, lounge music, ambient...as long as the quality is good...there's more than 2,000 CD's scattered all over the place, with British ones representing a very fair share, my hifi is strictly British (Rotel and Bowers and Wilkens), I even make music whenever I have the time to do so in a little studio at home!

This whole thing has always been of absolutely no interest to me, I started finding it amusing when Germany chose entries that were, well, let's say extraordinary in terms of seriousness, and I started to believe the German audience is not THAT bad...and I still believe that, except we are dealing with a mafia-like organisation here that selects most entries, well connected to the yellowpress...and it seems to be the same in other countries, they can't really be serious!

So basically there are two types of audience here:

1. The fun generation that is highly amused with all that nonsense going on, and
2. a few poor bastards that actually take this whole thing serious (quite a few of them kids that will grow out of it).

As for the British domination in pop music: Well I can't really see that anymore, it's USA and basically all European countries, too. Ok, there are more British songs in the German charts than the other way round (X-0 I guess Big grin), but most songs in the German charts are...German.
Believe it or not, there's really good music coming from Germany, except it is not charts music, so you'll never ever hear it..unfortunately!

And let's face it: Britpop is today more of a swearword and no more a sign for quality, Spice Girls, Kylie etc...that crap can be found everywhere around the world!

Ahem, does this answer your question?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed May 28, 2003 9:47 pm

One should also note that Australia, Japan and Jordan are among €uropean Broadcasting Union members - screening the contest every year.

Israel's also in it.

EGGD

Wed May 28, 2003 10:26 pm

Well, it was an interesting night,

My TV Guide did predict that the UK may get nil points, and they were right! Fully deserved too, although the Belgian, German, Austrian and Russian performances were all pretty terrible. Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Poland were all very good, I thought one of them deserved to win.

But as per usual political voting prevails, and so we continue :p. Congratulations Turkey, at least your song wasn't THAT bad Big grin

[email protected]

Wed May 28, 2003 10:41 pm

Specially commisioned for Andreas and co.

Big grin

Signed
[email protected]LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

Andreas
Topic Author

Arsenal, My Friend!

Wed May 28, 2003 10:57 pm

53-0.....need I say more? NO!

Do I get that as a gift Big grin? I prefer DVD!

CPH-R

Wed May 28, 2003 11:02 pm

Regarding the Tarkan connection, he and Sertab Ener are actually friends, and he has said that he's not going to do anything about.
Sertab herself also mentioned that most Turkish pop music sound alike, with the vocals being the major difference.

btw, am I the only one who would have sworn to commit suicide if Norway won?

Oh, and the Austrian song ruled Big grin

EGGD

Wed May 28, 2003 11:02 pm

Andreas - you are very sad if you put Eurovision song contest results over world cup qualifier results  Laugh out loud

CPH-R

Wed May 28, 2003 11:04 pm

EGGD,
what the heck, if that's the only way he can show himself in the face of you brits, why not let him? Big grin

[email protected]

Wed May 28, 2003 11:07 pm

I will gladly send you a copy of the DVD and video Andreas, postage and packaging paid for.  Big grin
In Arsene we trust!!

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 11:12 pm

Hmmm...sounds like I have to pay for it, then...thanks, but no thanks, I'm not into disaster movies Big grin

Maybe a deal...You sent me the DVD, I'll send you a video of last Saturday...with enhanced sound *ROFLMAO*

[email protected]

Wed May 28, 2003 11:18 pm

Ahh...you'll love it, lot's of heroic action, a demolishion job, lot's of goals and a dodgy defence.  Big thumbs up
In Arsene we trust!!

Andreas
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2003 11:26 pm

Yeah I'm sure Big grin..but wait till you see last Saturday...lots of scampily-dressed young ladies, with the benefits of silicon openly laid out, and then...United Kingdom...make sure to turn down the stereo, Jemini was more than enough to shatter your windows...and maybe, just maybe I'll add the shoot-out of the Euro 1996 semifinals just for you!!

racko

Thu May 29, 2003 1:31 am

EGGD - you are very sad if you put world cup qualifier results over World Cup and European Cup results  Big grin

Signed,
racko, busy watching Bern '54, Brussels '72, Munich '74, Rome '80, Rome '90, Wembley '96, and especially enjoying all the replays from the semi-finals '90 and '96. Did you know that the video of the "Football's coming home" song in Germany contains pictures of the semi-final '96 and ends with the scene where the German national team in front of tens of thousands fans on the balcony of the Römer in Frankfurt sings "Football's coming home" while raising the European Cup? And did you know that Germany has scored almost thrice the amount of goals during world cups than England?

Good bye  Smile

Turbolet

Thu May 29, 2003 4:24 am

Yes, this time Eurovision really made us dream again... (to dream again)... it took us where we'd never been... it made us dream again!

Personally I would have beheaded Lynn Chircop when she arrived at Malta International Airport on Sunday but my fellow citizens gave her a 'warm welcome' instead...

c72

Thu May 29, 2003 4:50 am

TATU??? wasnt TATU the midget guy on the 70's television show "Fantasy Island"?

"Boss...............the plane..............the plane!!!"

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu May 29, 2003 7:00 am

Turbolet, what do you make of this?

Maltese nerves fray on return flight

The tension accumulated over the past week in Latvia - prior to Saturday’s Eurovision Song Contest - erupted between Lynn Chircop and Maltasong chairman Charlo Bonnici on their return flight to Malta yesterday.

At one point during the flight, Lynn rose from her seat, approached Mr Bonnici, and shouted verbal abuse at him. Among other things, she accused him of having ruined her image with the Maltese public.

http://www.doteurovision.com/stories/lynntan.htm

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu May 29, 2003 7:02 am

Talking of Tatu and other crybabies..

Russian Television bosses have demanded a recount of votes, so convinced are they that t.A.T.u. should have won the 2003 contest.

An official complaint has been logged by broadcaster ORT with the European Broadcasting Union in which the Russian broadcaster has asked to see the full certified televoting results from several broadcasters including the UK who failed to award Russia a single point.

http://www.doteurovision.com/stories/russcom.htm

aloges

Thu May 29, 2003 8:04 pm

Let's all take the Scottish approach: "Three kittens on the shirt..."  Big grin

... and just for not being totally off topic: I voted for Greece and Estonia. Pretty much a random choice, I have to admit, since t.A.T.u. didn't sing, Urban Trad may have had a nice song, but the performance $ucked, and Sertab Erener's song was nowhere near what I might like. Belly dance - no, thanx.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

EGGD

Fri May 30, 2003 12:21 am

I voted for Poland, I thought their song was pretty good and their singers could sing!

Turbolet

Fri May 30, 2003 3:50 am

Singapore_Air, that article is somewhat copied from the Times of Malta which featured the same picture and most of the wording. Only that we got a slightly different introduction to the whole thing, judge for yourself:

Warm welcome for Lynn Chircop
Ariadne Massa

Lynn Chircop was yesterday given a warm welcome at the airport on her return from Latvia, helping ease the tension that had built up on the chartered flight back to Malta.

Admittedly though, Lynn has a very different expression in the picture you post from the one she wore during her performance. Oh well, not every year is an Ira Losco...

donder10

Fri May 30, 2003 5:07 am

You lot are the missing real issue here!
Why didn't the Austrian dude win?What a legend!

shamrock104

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:19 am

What about Slovenija? I really liked that song, very abba, and the girls were great looking!

teahan

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:46 am

I quite liked Malta's song actually, along with Norway.

While I didn't like the performance of the Irish song on the night, I really love it when I hear it on the radio.

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

teahan

Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:52 am

BTW t.A.T.u's comments were pretty funny: ""In Russia we have elderly and blind people, we look after them in homes rather than putting them on stage."

[Blind people was referring to last year's German entry, Corinna May]

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004