Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gocaps16
Topic Author

What Is Your Water Intake?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:52 am

So, we all heard, it is recommended to drink up to eight 8 ounces of fluid daily or even more if you work out and such. I want to gather some information on how much water you guys drink....whether if it's just plain water, coke, milk, or even BEER.

Researchers have told it is ok to drink 10 liters of water a day...but if you drink more then that, well, it's not good.

For me, I try to drink from 8-10 glasses a day of water. And since my room is soooooooooo hot, it requires to drink water to keep cool since the a/c is temp. down for couple weeks.

Kevin

[Edited 2003-06-03 22:54:57]

jwenting

RE: What Is Your Water Intake?

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:04 am

I've been told I don't drink enough and indeed I sometimes forget to drink until I start showing signs of dehydration (dizziness, headache) which disappear quickly after gulping down a liter or so of something.

I think I drink a total of between 2 and 3 liters a day, which is indeed not a lot (but on very hot days this can increase to 4-5 liter).
I wish I were flying

kimmykun

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:17 am

I drink a 6-pack of Coke a day more or less... and about a glass of water.

flyf15

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:18 am

Most water intake recommendations aren't realistic (thanks bottled water companies!!!). I do just what people should...drink when I'm thirsty and enough so that I am no longer thirsty.

EGGD

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:20 am

I drink about 600ml a day, maximum. I guess thats bad  Laugh out loud

redngold

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:03 am

I can't drink water.

No, seriously, I'm one of those people who cannot drink plain water. I taste every d*mn chemical they've put in it, including the miniscule amount of iron which it picked up while coming through the pipes. I will actually gag and spit if I try, and if I MUST drink water (say, to take a pill at a water fountain) I have to work hard to swallow it. (I'd rather dry-swallow my pills than use water, unless absolutely necessary.)

I'm absolutely not kidding. When I was a baby, my parents took me on their vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina (U.S.) and as you may know there's not a lot of places to go for refreshment. However there are rest stations with water fountains. It was steaming hot and I was crying so my parents tried to get me to drink water. I wouldn't drink it. I was a tiny little baby, how could I "know" the difference? They ended up mixing some Dr. Pepper with the water and I sucked it down.

The closest thing to plain water that I can drink is a flavored seltzer water. That's it. I'm strictly a juice, soy milk, and soda person other than a bottle of American Pride strawberry-flavored water (Wal-Mart store brand.)

If I'm lucky, I drink a pint of that a day.

redngold
Up, up and away!

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:03 am

I drink about a gallon 1/4 of water a day. I drink as much as possible.
Go big or go home

bobrayner

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:27 am

In, err, training, I always learned that you should drink enough to keep your urine a very pale yellow; maybe the same colour as a pale lager.

(for readers in North America: the same colour as all those mass-produced beers. Probably a similar taste too.  Smile)

You really can't stick with a fixed volume, because every body is different, and environmental stresses vary widely.

In a normal, relaxed day I get through about 2 litres of fruit juice / milk / tea / hot chocolate. I normally drink about 1 litre per hour in the gym; it could be even more if doing something intensely cardiovascular / outdoors / in hot weather.
Cunning linguist

gocaps16
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:21 am

Redngold,

Ever tried to hold your breath while drinking water, that way you can't really taste it? Or any other techniques?

Kevin

aa61hvy

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:21 am

I have read in various books/mags that if your urine is not clear. You are already dehydrated..Speaking of I am thirsty.
Go big or go home

redngold

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:26 am

Kevin --

Yeah, I *do* hold my breath when I try to drink, but you know that doesn't really work when you go to swallow. Besides, I get an aftertaste from the water... It is truly horrid.

But I did find out that I am not alone...  Smile Scientifically documented studies have revealed that a certain percentage of humans are so sensitive to chemicals in water that they hate to or cannot drink plain water. I don't feel so alone anymore.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Up, up and away!

USAFHummer

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:47 am

I rarely drink pure water...I dont like the taste of it either but I can drink it if need be (dire thirst and nothing else is available)...even when Im in the backcountry I use powdered Gatorade in my Nalgenes...I mostly drink choco. milk, orange juice, apple juice, Coke, fruit punch, and coffee (not in any particular order)...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

gocaps16
Topic Author

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:21 am

I guess Greg is one of those humans, eh RednGold?

Kevin

vafi88

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:56 am

I frank about 4 liters in one hour one time...I got cramps and stopped (it was a game).

I usually just drink when I'm thirsty, but when I am sick (now) I drink LOTS of tea. In the past 2 hours I have had about a liter and a half of the stuff.....Glad it's not american tea!!! (Green tea rocks)

BTW-don't force yourself to drink much, or when you don't want to, otherwise you do not feel very well... Drink when thirsty....(the previous message was only intended for non-alcoholic beverages, Drink alcohol whenever you feel like it...)
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Westjet_737

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:57 am

I dont drink a lot of water, mabye one little glass a day. That is usually carbonated water too. I can't drink the tap stuff.

Other than that, I love coke and coffee. (Pretty bad for a 15 year old)

Even worse, I am alergic (Yes, it is rare but I have it) to milk and to soy as well. So... It's bad..

jcs17

Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:10 pm

The clear urine thing isnt really true. The clarity (or lack of) of your urine mainly comes from impurities, and how much your bladder can hold.

I probably only drink a couple glasses of water a day. But, I'd say I drink roughly 10 glasses of juice/soda/tea/gatorade a day.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

KROC

Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:27 pm

More on the color of your urine. Not that I'm an expert, but here is what I picked up in the military, where staying hydrated was important. If your urine is very yellow, like a deep bright yellowish color, your body is deydrated. If the odor from it is stong (as it usually is with said color) you are deydrated too. Its hard to have 'clear' urine, unless you have gone on an alcoholic bender, so urine with a little bit of color to it is good.

On that note, I usually take in about 3/4 of a gallon or a gallon a day. Especially after I get done running.

goingboeing

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:26 am

Since I'm on the Atkins diet, I drink about 64 oz per day, and spend a good part of the day standing in front of the urinal!

galaxy5

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:31 am

REGNGOLD, that American pride stuff is awesome, no calories, caffeine or sodium and it tastes great, i prefer the key lime, peach mango and strawberry banana.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

blink182

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:37 am

I run xc so i drink a fair amount. Starting a day or two before a race, I will go through several nalgenes a day. When I don't have a race, I drink a fair amount, maybe a couple of bottles, nothing more.

When in the backcountry, I usually don't have enough room to carry a carton of gatorade powder so I use either iodine, or hot/cold chocolate or tang.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

USAFHummer

Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:41 am

I just dont like the taste of it, but I can drink it Kevin...a little bit different than Redngold...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

gocaps16
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:48 am

KROC,

I hear ya about the military. It is sooo important for everyone to be hydrated especially in boot camp. My first night there, I took a leak at the airport when we landed at O'Hare. So that night for our piss test, I couldn't go, so they had to make all the people who couldn't urinate to walk in circles and drinking at the water fountains. Well, 3 tries, and still couldn't go....I must've have drank like a gallon for water for an hour walking around and my stomach felt like it was gonna explode.

Another reason why is that you got the instructors yelling your butt off while you're looking like a fool trying to take a piss. My worst experience.

I was so happy that night after I did my business.

Kevin

bobrayner

Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:53 am

Piss test? This sounds worrying.
My bootcamp mostly comprised running, being shouted at, running, shooting, hiding in a forest, running, drill (whilst being shouted at), running...

Or are GIs expected to have extra skills?  Smile
Cunning linguist

Turbolet

Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:13 am

When I was home alone, I noticed I had to buy two or three of those big 2l bottles of water every day for myself, so I guess I drink around 4l of water a day on average. That includes any water which is further processed for drinks like coffee and so on.

The worst part comes when I'm nervous, in those situations I'm quite capable of going to fetch a big glass of water every five minutes around five or six times.

KROC

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:17 pm

Hey Kevin, I had no problems filling up the cup for my BMT piss test. There was one guy in my flight though, who managed to piss all over himself, because a T.I. was all up in his sh*t. Glad I was done, and out of the line of fire on that one.

On a side note, it was 2 weeks into Basic before I produced a Number 2. This with eating 3 meals a day! It wasn't only me either. Evidentally the stress, the yelling, etc. can have that effect on people. I remember when I grew my first real tail in Basic. Talk about a relief!

VonRichtofen

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:43 am

I wonder if that American Pride stuff is availible at Canadian Wal-Marts. It sounds good.

Kris

BO__einG

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:58 am

I drink from 5-10 glasses a day.. ON a 24+ weather I will drink around the 10 mark or even more.

RednGold: If you don't like water in its regular form, wouldn't drinking distilled water help??
To my knowledge they are absolutely free of minerals and chemicals.
All you have to do is to basically boil regular water, gather the steam in a glass pipe and condense it back to water in a cup.. basically make your own weather.

Or drink Brita water, it gets rid of most of the chemicals and minerals and gives a nice refreshing taste.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:37 am

Guys,

I drink around 3 litres of water through the day and about 1 litre overnight.

I don't drink soft drinks / soda but will have juice.

If I am out at a club I drink an enormous amount of water + red bull for energy.

mb  Big grin

L-188

Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:59 pm

You know, when I went through basic in the army, I had other things on my mind then to note, how many weeks into it I took my first dump!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

L-188

Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:00 pm

I run off well water right now which is pretty decent.

When I was on city water in North Dakota, I did not like the taste of it so I got one of those filter pitchers....It seemed to help.

I just got one of those MSR water filters and I still have yet to try it out on a camping trip.

courious to see what that tastes like.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.