Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vaporlock
Topic Author

Rolling Stones Concert July 30 - Toronto

Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:43 am

Well.....the concert is a go! The Rolling Stones, AC-DC, The Guess Who....and many more! The cost is really reasonable but it is on a Wednesday and starts at 2pm at Downsview (same site that the Pope was at).

How many of you will be attending??? If you are attending where are you coming from???

Phyllis  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

dinker225

RE: Rolling Stones Concert July 30 - Toronto

Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:18 am

I wish I could come but can't make it. Should be good. I saw them when they were in Denver a few months ago. It was a great concert. Have fun

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

captaingomes

Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:18 am

I'd love to go, but will be in Europe at that time. It's one concert not to miss!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AWspicious

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:25 pm

I'll be there! Look for a brother wearing a black cap with the initials A.W. on it  Laugh out loud

ROCK ON!

Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

vaporlock
Topic Author

Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:06 am

Well......I guess not too many people on Anet are going.

I know it will be a great concert so for those of you going!

Have A GREAT TIME.....I KNOW I WILL!

yyz717

Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:10 pm

I honestly hate huge crowds and also concerts! You could not drag me there!

The best venue for the Stones is somewhere small & intimate, such as the Palais Royale.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

BOEING747-700

Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:13 pm

Europe Nuno? where are you going???? Don't get me started on flying Air Transat!! hahahaha

captaingomes

Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:44 pm

Jordan, I'm flying ........ AIR TRANSAT! Going to Lisbon.  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AWspicious

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:20 pm

YYZ717;
Did you ever check out any live bands at The Elmo? Now THAT'S small and ..... well, maybe not intimate... but, certainly not intimidating.

a.w.

Superfly

Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:19 pm

Vaporlock :
How DARE you forget about the WORLD'S greatest rock band and TORONTO native RUSH ?  Wow!
They will perform and the other secondary bands that you mentioned will perform also.
It's a 50/50 chance that I may make the trip to YYZ to support my favorite band and maybe hang out with AWspicious.  Smile

Bring back the Concorde

captaingomes

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:13 am

Rush? No no no no no, the lead singer's voice kills that group! The Guess Who are better, in my opinion.  Smile I'd also like to catch Sam Roberts live, as well as the Rolling Stones live, the closest I got to that was seeing them was at the iMax, which was good.

Superfly

Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:46 am

Captaingomes:
Shame on you!  Sad
What you are hearing is the voice of God when you hear RUSH.
As a Canadian, you should be proud of RUSH!  Smile

If I go, I'll leave or grab a beer when the Rolling Stones go on. They aren't a rock group anymore. They're a product and I think Molsens and LaBatts is a better product than the Rolling Stones.  Big grin

[Edited 2003-07-09 23:47:10]
Bring back the Concorde

vaporlock
Topic Author

Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:50 am

Captaingomes.....sorry sorry sorry....I forgot them....they are one of the greatest!

vaporlock
Topic Author

Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:01 am

Superfly......sorry I replied to Captaingomes by mistake..........but I do agree that Rush is one of the greatest Toronto bands.

Captaingomes....I must admit I think the Guess Who are the greatest......Burt sure has a great set of pipes......

But I must say that this will my first concert......yes...believe it or not. I listen to all types of music and love it. I have a great sterio in my car with a booster and I love driving and cranking the tunes. And I am not one of these chicks that is not with it. I just never ever got the chance.....so I plan on having a great time! I know a few other a.net members that are going....too bad we all couldn't meet up??

Hope that everyone going has a fantastic time!

yyz717

Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:23 am

Hey Vaporlock, that concert will be MASSIVE.

Be prepared for everything: no washrooms for hours, no concession food, no shade, etc etc etc.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

AWspicious

Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:01 pm

Hey, Superfly, Vaporlock, and other a.net members who may be attending; We should try to meet-up! Won't be easy, though... What with about half a million attendees expected. Perhaps, if we all gave some indication as to what we'll be wearing. We should e-mail each other or something when the date gets closer.
Well.....?

YYZ717; I guess it'll have to be survival of the fittest, eh... (heh heh heh)

A.W.

Superfly

Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:10 am

AWspicious:
It's still a 50/50 chance that I can make it.
Have you been to a club called 'The Orbit Room' in Toronto?
It's owned by Alex Lifeson (guitarist of RUSH).
If I do go, I will attend a party there July 29th. That's Geddy Lee's 50th birthday.  Smokin cool
You should try to make it if possible.

It would be great to hang out with someone who sends dirty emails all the time.  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2003-07-11 00:19:50]
Bring back the Concorde

vaporlock
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:38 am

AWspicious....I agree it would be really great if the A.net members attending could all meet somewhere....

Yyz717, Superfly...what do you think??? I will be attending the concert with an A.net member who is a pilot so there is another 2 of us???  Big thumbs up Who knows maybe we can pull it off.

I'll keep checking the Iam.ca web site and see if they have posted an area overview of the concert stage, concessions etc.etc. and maybe we can pick a place/time to all meet. You can email me at my address it is listed on my profile and we can maybe pull this together. Laugh out loud

One way or the other it is going to one MASSIVE concert and a damm good one!!

I'll try to keep the post going so we can work on this.

AWspicious

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:10 am

Vaporlock;
YYZ717 won't be attending. Hopefully, Superfly will. Don't know who else (besides you and your A.net companion) from this website who will be attending.
I've got four friends coming in from out of town, plus, two of us live in the area. I've been charged with the responsibility of securing accomodations for the motely crew. I doubt there will be any availability at this late hour, though.

A.W.

vaporlock
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:14 am

AWspicious.....maybe we can pull it off.....even if only a few of us meet up!

I'm not sure about accommodation at this point but it depends on what area of the city your looking??? I'm in the Kennedy/401 area so there is not too much out my way....I think there is a hotel at Warden/401 and another few going West....but I'm not sure if they will have a car....if they do then they should be able to find something???

Phyllis

vaporlock
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:19 am

I gotta go out and I won't be able to get back to this post till tomorrow evening but I'll check out a few places and let you know if I can find out any more info.

Phyllis

yyz717

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:48 am

One close hotel would be the Yorkdale Holiday Inn.

AWspicious

Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:54 am

There's also the Howard Johnson at Keel & 401... for starters.

I know I'm being pessimistic, but, I believe with half-a-million attendees expected, accommodations won't be plentiful at this point.

A.W.

IMissPiedmont

Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:31 pm

I'd consider going but for 3 issues.

1) I have to work in another city that day.
2) Way overpriced tickets

and

3) I'd be afraid of Mick Jaggers walker falling on me.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

AWspicious

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:19 am

ImissPiedmont;
Over priced tickets??? Dude... The tickets are like sixteen bucks U.S.! Go to this website: http://www.iam.ca/home

IMissPiedmont

Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:44 pm

I repeat, way overpriced, I can't see spending $16.00 on a band I was not impressed with 30 years ago dropping their walkers on me. Sorry dude but they were marginal 30 years ago and now they're just washed up and, for some reason, desperate for money. It will not be my money though.

Superfly

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:30 pm

IMissPiedmont:
Forget the Rolling Stones! The greatest band ever (RUSH) is playing and that has to be the best $16 you'll ever spend.
Hell I once paid $100 to see them last year.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:54 pm

A Mick Jagger.

Proof women go for money, and that better living thorough chemistry is possible.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

vaporlock
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:08 am

IMISSPiedmont.....too bad you feel that way about the STONES.......but if you were a STONES fan you would know that the reason they make the money is because they can still play, sing and continue to produce music. As far as being worried about them dropping their walkers.......I'm sure most people would agree that the STONES are still alive and kicking......and I for one being a woman don't agree with your statement "proof women go for money".....money sure isn't everything......you can have all the money in the world but happiness by far for me exceeds the $$$.

Rush, The Guess Who, AC-DC.....are all GREAT bands and as far as paying too much for a ticket to see them......I don't think that there has ever been a concert with as many GREAT bands for only $16 US.

But everyone has their own tastes in music and if the bands at the concert don't do anything for you then I agree why waste your money!

Superfly

Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:50 am

Vaporlock:
Rush, The Guess Who, AC-DC.....are all GREAT bands

I agree!  Big thumbs up

Phyllis Purich

Female

I love learning about aircraft - I especially love float planes, Flying, Camping, Fishing, & Horseback Riding.

I love animals and the outdoors!!! I have 3 cats & 1 dog and hope one day soon to live in a small rural place with a big lake so I can fish, swim and just enjoy the outdoors!!!

Hmmmm, I like your demographic.
Can we meet up in Toronto some time after the show?  Big grin

Will the hubby be out of town? Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:44 pm

IMISSPiedmont.....too bad you feel that way about the STONES.......but if you were a STONES fan you would know that the reason they make the money is because they can still play, sing and continue to produce music. As far as being worried about them dropping their walkers.......I'm sure most people would agree that the STONES are still alive and kicking......and I for one being a woman don't agree with your statement "proof women go for money".....money sure isn't everything......you can have all the money in the world but happiness by far for me exceeds the $$$.

I'll sure cop to what I wrote, not for what I didn't.

I was a Stones fan 30 years ago and, although what I said was firmly tongue in cheek, I wish these bands would retire before it's just to late for any dignity. The Rolling Stones were pretty much passe when I was 15 and that was 30 years ago. Oh I sure nuff do have a passle of Stones LPs and listen to them on a regular basis. That, in my humble thought process, is where they belong.

And Superfly, I played `2112' just last night and `Fly by Night' earlier in the week. Both on vinyl as I'm a trogladyte and have no CD player. Except the one in my computer and you really can't annoy the neighbors with that when they live half a mile away.

Enjoy the concert people.

L-188

Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:47 pm

Vaporlock.

Don't be offended, even though it was stated as an absolute rule, it shouldn't be taken that way.

But somebody explain how Mick ended up with knocking up that 16 year old model?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly

Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:39 pm

L-188:
But somebody explain how Mick ended up with knocking up that 16 year old model?

More power to Mick!  Smokin cool
He's a rockstar, he can bang just about any woman he wants no matter how ugly he is!

IMissPiedmont:
Excellent choices!  Big thumbs up
The don't waste your money buying those on CD anyway. The LPs of 2112 and Fly By Night sound better, comes with the entire storyline to those albums anyway. The CD re-issue of the old RUSH cataloge is just a another way for Mercury/Polygram to suck out more money from a band that's left them years ago.
I don't own a single pre-CD RUSH album, they are all on LP and 8track.
Bring back the Concorde

vaporlock
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:43 am

Well...so far it seems like there may be about 10 - 15 people attending???

I haven't seen a map of the concert area yet....once the sponsors do then maybe we can try and pick a place so everyone can meet.

AWspicious....did you find any accommodation for your buddies???

Superfly, maybe we can pull this one off...and everyone can meet at some point!

AWspicious

Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:22 pm

Vaporlock;
Yeah. Crashing-out at the Airport East Holiday Inn. (Formerly the Cambridge Motor Hotel on [email protected]). We'll have to cab-it to Downsview. Drag... I was hoping for something within er... crawling distance ;-]

a.w.

Mr Spaceman

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:56 am

Hi guys.

I'm also going to this concert.

I think it would be great to meet some of A.Net's members there.

I'll be easy to spot. I'll be the guy who's wearing a Rolling Stones T-shirt from their Voodoo Lounge tour. It has a wicked cartoon drawing of Mick on the front & Keith on the back. Oh, and I also have a Stones tongue tatooed to my ass, but I plan on wearing pants, so that won't help you spot me.

I'll also be carrying a large cooler, a lawn chair, a huge blanket, an umbrella, several sharp metal objects, a video recorder, a tape recorder, a few cases of cold beer, and a bucket of chicken!  Laugh out loud

It sucks BIG TIME time that the concert is on a Wednesday afternoon! This makes me very ANGRY!!!  Pissed

Oh well, this concert should be a blast! I've seen the Stones 4 times before. I also saw Ronie Wood (I got his autograph in a Stones book) play a concert with Bo Didley at the Coppa in dowtown Toronto back around 1986. I saw Keith Richards in concert at Toronto's Masey Hall after the release of his "Talk Is Cheap" album around 1987. I also saw Mick Taylor play at Toronto's famous Elmo Combo in the early 90's. I sat upstairs with him in his dressing room (alone, just the 2 of us  Big thumbs up), for about 20 minutes while he was tuning his guitar. I got his autograph in the same Stones book before and after his show.

I like the Rolling Stones, incase you didn't notice. Big grin

I used to love watching Burton Cummings live at the Forum at Ontario Place, many many years ago. I'm looking forward to seeing Rush (Max Webster - High Class In Borrowed Shoes  Big thumbs up) and AC/DC too!

Let's Party!!!!!

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

AWspicious

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:21 am

What - Max Webster er... Kim Mitchell will be performing, too??!! Cool!

A.W.

Mr Spaceman

Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:21 am

Hello AWspicious.

Oops, I goofed!  Nuts

My mind got twisted with to many thoughts at one time. During a momentary lapse of reasoning I thought that Geddy Lee used to be the singer for Max Webster. I was in the middle of remembering when I ran into Kim Mitchell at Toronto International Airport. My Dad and I were alone in an elevator at YYZ after taking some photos from the roof of terminal one, when it stopped at a floor, and Kim Mitchell walked in. He was wearing salmon coloured pants, a tourquoise golf shirt, lemmon yellow running shoes, and a red baseball cap. He looked like a riot and was definetly dressed for the warm south. This was in late october. He was cool to chat with for a few minutes.

So, I was thinking about Kim & Geddy at the same time and typed a boo boo!  Sad

Sorry about that!

PS, on the radio this morning, it was announced that Blue Rodeo has joined the line-up for the concert.

Chris  Smile

Superfly

Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:31 am

Mr Spaceman:
Watch that now! Big grin
I am a diehard RUSH disciple (beyond being a fan).
Geddy Lee did play on one Max Webster album in 1980.
Bring back the Concorde

Mr Spaceman

Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:47 am

Hello Superfly.

That's pretty cool to know.

Back in 1980 I was in grade 9 in high school. Two of my friends back then, who were identical twin brothers were hardcore, heavy duty, RUSH maniacs!!!!

I spent many days partying with them & other friends at their house while listening to their RUSH albums.

I've always liked RUSH, however, I went down a hard rock path that involved groups like the Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, etc, etc, etc.

Chris  Smile

Superfly

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:37 am

Mr Spaceman:
That's cool! BEing a RUSH fan back during there creative peak must have been something. I came in on Power Windows (1985) when I was 12 years old. They are and will alsways be my favorite band.
Now I went down a path of Lounge music with gareat artist such as Canada's Gino Vannelli as well as Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Dick Hyman and other cool 60s and 70s stuff.
Bring back the Concorde

CPH-R

Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:01 am

Just to bring this back up, for those of you going to the concert(s), I strongly suggest that you take your time to read up on what This site has to say about some of the things still missing some 11 days before the go-ahead. Some of it may seem a bit lame, but this guy, Paul Wortheimer, knows his stuff: He's been on the board that investigated the 1979 "The Who" disaster in Cincinnati, he was a contributor to the 1999 "British Event Safety Guide", he was a member of the Danish working group put down to study the Safety Aspects of Music Festivals following the 2000 tragedy at Roskilde Festival AND lately he has made a speech at the board investigating the Long Island club disaster.

And guys, take care. And have fun  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

signed,
a guy who witnessed 9 young men being crushed to death during a concert at one of the safest festivals in the world.

[Edited 2003-07-19 23:11:03]

vaporlock
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:03 am

CPH-R, I tried to go into "This site" but I can't. Do you have another web address???

I'm sure all of us going will be careful and have "FUN".

CPH-R

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:17 am

Strange, try entering it from the frontpage, ie. http://www.crowdsafe.com - they've just added some news clips about the safety concerns, complete with a clip from Roskilde Festival 2000.

vaporlock
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:19 am

CPH-R, thanks....this works!

Have a good one!!

AWspicious

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:02 pm

Checking the website now.
Interesting bit of news - Seems the event planners hadn't secured an insurance coverage deal as of last week-end. I hope all this attention to the safety aspect of the event will remind all attending to be considerate of themselves and others while still having a really good time.
I prefer to be optimistic in thinking that the majority of people attending this event will be of a mature age who will undoubtedly conduct themselves in a slightly intoxicated yet civilized manner.

a.w.

a380

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:38 am

Wonder why they picked a Wednesday...?

vaporlock
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:22 am

Well....only one day away!

For those attending I hope you all have a great time...I plan on it!

Actually, I'm one who will be sleeping overnight outside to make sure I get a great spot...at least I hope I do.

A.W.....I know your going...enjoy!

Phyllis Smile/happy/getting dizzy

yyz717

Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:23 am

Well, have fun all you fellow Torontonians who are going!

I'll be watching it on TV tomorrow from the confines of my living room.

Regards
Neil

AWspicious

Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:09 am

I'm looking forward to the event. It promises to be a blast. People have been lining up since Monday! We're going to wait until Wednesday to line-up, though. I prefer to get a good night sleep in my own bed before encountering a crowd 400,000+ strong.
To those attending who might still be reading this thread - Have a great and safe time!

a.w.