Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hkg82
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Hong Kong?

Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:28 am

Hey all.

Tony Blair’s visit to HK a couple of days ago got me thinking about what people overseas, especially those who’ve not been here before, think of this city (Blair was just commentating & comparing HK before and after the handover).

The foreign press generally hasn’t been very kind to HK ever since the handover & this Hong Kong-watching has been an ongoing obsession for many geopolitical observers & economic analysts alike. The media has always focused its eyes on the unique relationship & interaction between the capitalist SAR & communist China, but as of late, the dissatisfaction of the HK people over the government’s performance & the large protests, the poor economy & high unemployment rate and of course, Article 23. No doubt the big news recently of 500,000 people marching in the streets to protest the Article 23 bill & to vent their overall frustration with the government made headlines all over the world (maybe not in your area, you tell me!), and that’s negative for the HK government, but good for the people, I think.

Anyway, so what’s your perception of HK? To those who’ve been to HK before & after the handover, what can you say has changed?

When you think of visiting Asia, either for business or for vacationing or both, does HK pop up in your mind?

Try to not let the Kai Tak bias affect your response  Big grin

Thanks!

Hkg82.

aa61hvy

RE: What Do You Think Of Hong Kong?

Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:07 am

I like HK, its a very cool place. It reminds me of Manhattan a little bit. I like how they have boat service between Kowloon on HK. I want to go back there again for sure.
Go big or go home

Leezyjet

Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:25 am

I think Hong Kong is Fanfuckintastic. I love the place. I was looking earlier actually to see if I can afford to go back next week or the week after for a couple of days (I'm really skint at mo so not sure yet).

Given the choice of going to NY or HK and I'd take HK any day of the week. I've been trying to talk my mate into going to HK, but he really wants to go to NY  Sad .

The HK nightlife is pretty good, dancing on the bar in Carnegies and squashing through the doors in the Groovy Mule, with all the other airline crews and not forgetting sipping cocktails in Felix on the top floor of the Peninsular hotel......ahh how I miss it.

I've only been there once and that was at Chinese New Year and I was only there for 3 days and spent one of them in bed with a hangover....see above.

I really wanted to go before 1997, and before Kai Tak closed, but unfortunately wasn't in a position to go back then. Having not been there before the handover, and not knowing what it was like before, it was still everything I expected and more.

It was just a shame that I wasted a day in bed, it meant we only got one day to sightsee, as on our last day it was the Cathay Pacific New Years Day parade and everything was closed anyway.

I really wanted to go and visit the New Territories and also some of the islands too. I'll have to do that next time when I come back. I did however take the bus from Central to Stanley over the mountain tops that was suggested on here when I asked for ideas. Didn't get chance to hike up to the checkerboard though as someone else suggested.

I can't wait to come back. I really want to get off the beaten track next time, away from the normal tourist stuff to try and see the real HK. Just need a volunteer to show me  Big grin

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

aa61hvy

Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:12 am

I just talked to my dad, and he said we will go back to HK.. So that will be cool.
Go big or go home

asbg

Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:03 am

Hong Kong to me is a big shopping mall. There is nothing wrong with shopping but there was something very fake about HK. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time but I wouldn't go back so quickly. I rather go back to Bangkok or Singapore.

aa61hvy

Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:16 pm

When I go back to Asia, I will be going to Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong  Wink/being sarcastic
Go big or go home

airmale

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:09 pm

Its China's Manhattan.
.....up there with the best!

DoorsToManual

Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:23 pm

I think it would be an interesting place to visit. Quite keen to try CX and visit the HKG airport too.

kl713

Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:35 am

I will give my opinion on HK in about 2 months in my trip report, when I will visit HK for a short period as part of my long trip to Australia.....

I heard many great stories and I'm reading a lot about the city lately....so now I'm just hoping for the best Big grin
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 764 77E 773 77L 77W 788 789 319 320 332 333 343 346 388 E75 E90 M11 146 DH8

kaitakfan

Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:53 pm

Hong Kong is a great city! Everytime I go there I enjoy my stay more and more! There is always so much energy to the city that keeps my craving more! There is just something very special about that place! I say this neglecting the fact that each time I leave there I always have got pretty sick, but still keep coming back for more! Cant wait to get back to Honkers soon!

hartsfieldboy

Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:07 am

I haven't been to HK, but it looks like a very amazing city! The skyline i awesome. It looks like what cities will look like 100 years from now. HK is definitely on my top 5 list for places to go worldwide that I haven't been yet.

UAL747

Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:25 pm

I had a very good impression of Hong Kong. I arrived at sunset from LAX on UA001. The most amazing part was seeing Hong Kong at night while driving in from CLK. It's even more amazing in real life than in pictures.

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton on HK Island. Very nice hotel with great service. The peak is AWESOME at night, and I often went to that coffee shop to send email.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

paulc

Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:11 pm

Have been there 3 times - twice before and once after handover - did not really notice much change on the tourist level. It still has a 'colonial' feel to it and the people are the same (well the ones I met were).

The best people to ask are those who live there and I know there are/were some of those on Anet.
English First, British Second, european Never!

Andreas

Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:03 pm

I've lived in Hongkong for some time, and from the very first day it was one of my favorite cities worldwide. After leaving I went back every year for at least 2 weeks, and managed to do so until I took up my current job, which leaves me not that much time. Anyway I went there twice after the handover, and actually yes, I see some differences.

What I like:

-the people of Hongkong: They never give up, no matter who hard the going gets...I wish my fellow Berliners, who spent a few decades under similar conditions had so much courage and will, Berlin would be so much better off.

-the city...the most beautiful city in the world...just get up on Victoria Peak and look down during sunset, and you'll know what I'm talking about. To me, that's pure Fung Shui, like I can feel the dragon running through me...just wonderful!! (Hopefully they don't change that by filling up the harbour strait).

What I dislike:

-No more Kaitak *sigh*

-I have a very distinct feeling that the city starts getting dirtier even in Central and Tsimshatsui East, so much junk in the streets, my picture form the pre-handover days is somewhat different.

-lots of gangs of younsters hanging around, nothing to do and sometimes threaten tourists...that is very annoying and was definitely different before 1997!

Overall: Still love this city and will soon be back Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Dasa

Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:08 pm

Love the city, who wouldn't love the skyscraper capital of the world?

BNE

Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:48 pm

What is article 23 all about, Never been to Hong Kong but would like to go there sometime. What protests never heard anything in this part of the world. The attempted miltary takeover in Phillipines was probably the biggest international story last night.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

Leezyjet

Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:14 pm

As I said before, I like it soooooo much I just booked my tickets to come back next week, my gf just got some money she wasn't expecting so she is paying for us to go  Big thumbs up

Arrive on Monday, leave on Wednesday. Just a quick visit, but better than none at all. Looking forward to going to the Groovy Mule and Carnegies again with all the overnighting flight crews from around the world Big grin

Any other ideas about what to do ? Did the peak last time and Stanley Market. Was thinking of a trip to one of the islands.....any suggestions ??

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Andreas

Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:38 pm

Cheung Chao, small island between Lamma and Lantau. It's been a few years but I liked it a lot, ferry from the usual pier in central.

Maybe a trip into the New Territories, on workdays it's quite beautiful.

Or take a trip by tram from Electric Point to Western District, cheap and very scenic, you'll see a lot of Hongkong Island (not sure if it starts in EP, just board it in Central, easy to find!)

And for a good eating of Dim Sum the Golden Dragon on the top floor of New World Center, not easy to find, but worth it! (hopefully that still exists Big grin)
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

N79969

Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:05 pm

I really like Hong Kong. It has a spectacular natural setting, is a high-energy city, and is simultaneously exotic and modern.

I think it beats Singapore in the sense that it is not as sterile. I think it is more pleasant than Bangkok because of less pollution.

Perhaps this is trivial, but the food in Hong Kong is really good. Really good Chinese food is rare in the US.