Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UNDaero07
Topic Author

Going Off To College.........GF?

Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:45 pm

Next month I will be going off to college. I will be going to the University of North Dakota to major in Aviation. I am really looking forward to it but i do have one problem. I have a girlfriend and we have been dating for over two years. I really enjoy her company and love her very much. We have decided to stay together while I'm in college and while she finishes her senior year in high school back home in Wisconsin. Anyways, I am looking for something unique to give her while I am away. I would like to get her something that reflects upon our relationship. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles

cancidas

RE: Going Off To College.........GF?

Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:49 pm

i had my best freind order 4 dozen roses for my gf when i was away at school. it was our 3 year aniversary. she loved it, really loved it. then she got mad at me for making her clean it up.

do something out of the ordinary. something you haven't done yet or something that you aren't known for doing. and good luck to you!

Big thumbs up
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

UAL747

Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:31 pm

My girlfriend, little to my knowledge, had found a boyfriend back at home while I was in college. I really think those long distance relationships are really bad because you will miss out on so many things a freshman should experience because of your girlfriend 2000 miles away.

But...

Here are some of the "romantic" things I did.

Sent her roses, a lot.
Sent her a video tape of me goofing off at school, showing what a typical day was like for me in Boston
Made her a lot of CD mixes

Then the ultimate thing I did:

I told her I wouldn't be able to come to her winter ball, then made sure she didn't get a date. I flew home and showed up on her doorstep in a tux with a dozen roses on the night of her dance.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

aviatortj

Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:25 pm

Charles-
I started at UND last January. It is a blast! It is easy enough to get back to Wisconsin from there. I made the trip to Madison a few times to visit a special friend. If she is where your heart is, it will be easy. Is she planning on heading up there next year to be with you?

Anyways, something to reflect on your relationship....On our one year, granted it was before college but, I took her out and I bought her a gold necklace with a heart made out of diamonds. It is something she always wears and advertises to other guys that she is taken. Seeing it on reminds me of our love.

Start with a phone card. You are going to want to talk to her a lot! I hope you get it situated to where you are both happy. Maybe I'll see you at UND!

~TJ

aa61hvy

Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:35 pm

I had my first year in college last year. I was in Dayton, OH she was in Dallas, TX. You can do it. If you love her and trust her it will work. A lot of phone calls worked for us. It got much easier as the year went on especially. We now know what to expect. Go for it man! You can do it.
Go big or go home

Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:24 pm

WOW...I know all about this...LOL.

Long distance is hard...but if you have that connection with someone...and the love is there. It can be done.

You should find a small little chest like box...almost like a little jewlery box...and hand write all the memories you can think of that you two have shared. This way when she misses you, she can pull out a memory and think about a happy time the two of you shared.

P.S.) Jewlery is always nice too.  Wink/being sarcastic

jcs17

Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:12 pm

I had my first year in college last year. I was in Dayton, OH she was in Dallas, TX. You can do it. If you love her and trust her it will work. A lot of phone calls worked for us. It got much easier as the year went on especially. We now know what to expect. Go for it man! You can do it.

Dont worry, AA61hvy. I kept Melissa "satisified" while you were away. In fact, she didnt even want you to return.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aa61hvy

Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:41 am

I guess you "satisfied" her if satisfying means following her around, foaming at the mouth when you saw her, and sputtering sentences when you talked to her.
Go big or go home

MaxPowers

Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:47 am

Dump her...you're in college and the last thing you want to be doing is holding back at some frat party because your highschool girlfriend XXX miles away.

College love life is an experience you won't want to miss out on.

Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:05 am

MaxPowers,

You need to grow up. While life is all about experiences...Sometimes people ALREADY have the best things in their lives right in front of them...Why ruin a good thing just to say..."OH YEAH...I slept with X-amount of girls"

Sex is over-rated...I mean, I guess it depends on the type of person you are...but Charles seems to be inlove....So...I say...GO WITH THAT. Do what your heart tells you, you may miss out on other things...but at least you were true to yourself and to her.

Maybe I am just a pathetic romantic...but I even if I am the only one to believe in happy endings and fairy tales...at least I know I never settled for anything less than what I deserved. And Charles shouldn't either.

- Irisa

bigphilnyc

Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:10 am

Sex is overrated, FlyGirl? What kind of LOSERS have you been fucki- oh. HEY!

And Max, you're just the mature word of reasons here in non-av i see.
Phil Derner Jr.

bigphilnyc

Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:17 am

Hey Underoo,

Long distance is tough. If you have ANY doubts, it won't work.

Phil Derner Jr.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 am

Undaero07-

I won't bullshit you; the distance will probably be a VERY big obstacle, and very difficult to overcome. Also, as has already been said, taking memories of a girlfriend back home when you go off to college is kinda like taking sand to the beach.

Having said that...if you're truly in love, then you can make it work. Save up to buy her a boatload of prepaid phone cards. Look into planning a special weekend a month or so into your separation and buying a plane ticket for her to come visit you, or vice-versa. Send roses, send gifts, send e-mails, and talk as much as you can. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but absence without any effort to overcome it makes the heart grow cold.

If you're both in love, you can make it work. Remember that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bobrayner

Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:15 am

1. In no way is sex over-rated.

Properly-supervised sex between qualified adults is amazing.
It's even better than spending all evening on a.net.

2. LDRs are hard; but if you can make the effort, she really will appreciate it.

Just after I started seeing my ex, I unfortunately had to spend a month away - 8 time zones away. As well as the obligatory flowers and messages, I called her every lunchtime; it was the middle of the night for me, but she really appreciated the effort. Maybe she just liked to think that I was losing sleep over her.  Big grin
Cunning linguist

Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:16 am

Uhhh...phone cards? Don't most cell phone plans include nationwide long distance? No need for phone cards unless you're calling overseas, especially considering how cheap cell phone plans are these days. Long-distance relationships have never been easier!

Sex is overrated, FlyGirl? What kind of LOSERS have you been fucki- oh. HEY!

I guess you guys haven't been to the Hawiian islands then.

bigphilnyc

Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:17 am

Only 8 months for sodomy? MAn we need to fix the judicial system.  Big grin

It's a tough situation, and so much depends on whether there is true love or not, and self-control.

Phil Derner Jr.

MaxPowers

Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:50 am

It's not only the sex there Fly...it's being able to have the choice to become romantic with someone who is a two minute walk rather then a five hour planetrip. Moreso did I say the word sex once? I think your digging too far into my statement...take a step back and relax.

Furthermore, I know for a fact that you will be in some wild situations within your first week alone...and the guilt that is associated with those situations won't be there if you dump your 16 year old girlfriend. Frat parties, etc.

[Edited 2003-07-28 22:52:31]

bobrayner

Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:07 am

Only 8 months for sodomy?

Only 8 months? I've been waiting years!

Oops  Smile
Cunning linguist

aa61hvy

Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:50 am

Man, nothing is better than comming home for Thanksgiving or something and having your girl pick you up, with a big smile. And getting that first hug (in like 3 months) Its so nice!!
Go big or go home

727_Gal

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:19 pm

i was in a long distance relationship for 3.5 years, most of which were long distance. it had its ups, but it got way too hard to handle. if you try it, communication is essential, as a cards and packages. and yes, you have to send those things too, not just her. suck up the testosterone and go to hallmark  Smile

good luck!

kaitakfan

Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:06 am

So many people have so many different perspectives on long distance relationships here, I would say this is like having four powerful horses tied to your legs and arms, pulling in their own direction.

I have had my share of long distance relationships before. To me, when I think back on it, it leaves me feeling very foolish for being tied down and not enjoying my younger years in life. Its a very difficult thing to live with.

Often times, many others including myself really do not enjoy daily life as much as one should be, because the significant other is always on the mind. The mentality is that what ever you are doing would be so much more enjoyable with your girlfriend. You can imagine how obnoxious this is to you and your friends who cant understand what the hell is wrong with you. In this side effect of long distance relationships, you will find it is extremely difficult to focus on important things. While your body is at UND your mind is gonna be back home which can end up being very detrimental.

Now im not saying that's how it will be for you. Other people can deal with months and months away from their girlfriend, Hell I did a very good job of holding out for 9 months. Until one visit when I realized that the 4 months between our last visit, we had grown apart. Things were not the way they were before. It was hurtful to fail after such a long commitment. But that is only my story and how it ended. What happened to me and everyone else on here may be similar to what you will go through, you will just have to live it out one day at a time and see what works best for you.

Good luck!
Brian

airlinelover

Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:33 am

Sent her a video tape of me goofing off at school, showing what a typical day was like for me in Boston

Just don't mix up the tape.. Can we say ROAD TRIP? Big grin

Seriously tho, love can conquer all, even great distances..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

aa61hvy

Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:07 am

"Seriously tho, love can conquer all, even great distances.."

Well said Airlinelover, I could not have said it any better. It's so true.
Go big or go home

apathoid

Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:41 pm

Give her herpes...she'll NEVER forget you that way...