Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcs17
Topic Author

Temps In London Hit 100 For The First Time Ever!

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:58 am

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20030810/ap_on_re_eu/europe_heat_wave_36

By ANGELA DOLAND, Associated Press Writer

PARIS - Melting Alpine glaciers unleashed a cascade of rocks, London choked in a record 100-degree temperatures and with wildfires raging in seven countries, the pope urged people to pray for rain.

Europe sizzled this weekend, and there was no immediate relief in sight for much of the continent. The heat also broke a record in Germany, and a French toddler died of exposure in a sweltering parked car.

With the mercury hovering around 100 degrees for days, more than 40 deaths have been blamed on the heat.

In the French Alps, a police officer warned hikers about rock avalanches along a popular route on Mont Blanc. Glacial ice is melting, loosening rocks from the mountainside. On Saturday, helicopters swooped into the area to evacuate 44 climbers in danger, police said.

In more arid regions, wildfires have blackened forests in Italy, France, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Croatia and the Netherlands.

Three separate fires were blazing in Portugal on Sunday, with the worst in the southern region of Algarve. Pinus Verde, an association of forest-product producers, analyzed satellite images from NASA (news - web sites) to calculate forestland destroyed in two weeks of blazes: 741,316 acres, according to daily Publico.

In northeastern Italy, firefighters worked for a third-straight day to put out a fire in the countryside near Udine.

Pope John Paul (news - web sites) II was spending time in a papal palace in Castel Gandolfo, a lakeside town generally cooler than Rome.

The pope told visiting tourists and pilgrims Sunday that he was worried about the drought-fed deadly wildfires.

"I invite all to join in my prayers for the victims of this calamity, and I exhort all to raise to the Lord fervent entreaties so that He may grant the relief of rain to the thirsty Earth," John Paul said.

A 3-year-old girl died Saturday in a car parked outside her parents' home in Wimille in northern France, authorities said.

The parents apparently lost track of who was watching her — each thought the little girl was with the other, police said.

In Germany, authorities are predicting a new record number of drownings this year. Cash-strapped municipalities have closed free swimming pools, forcing more Germans to head to rivers and lakes to escape the heat, where there is less supervision.

Klaus Wilkens, president of the German Lifesaving Society, told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper that his organization was predicting 700 deaths by drowning by the end of the summer, compared with 598 last year.

This weekend alone, at least three people drowned in Germany's rivers and lakes, including a 10-year-old girl.

"The closing of the pools must be stopped," Wilkens said.

The German weather service reported Sunday it had registered a new countrywide temperature record in the Bavarian city of Roth, which hit nearly 105 degrees on Saturday. The previous record of 104 was also in Bavaria, set in 1983.

Britons also gasped through a record-breaking day, watching thermometers climb above the 100 for the first time in Britain since temperatures have been recorded.

The record-breaker — 100.22 degrees — was measured at Heathrow Airport, near a parched and baking London, the national weather service (news - web sites) said.

No quick relief was expected: Germany is expected to swelter until midweek; France is counting on at least another week of abnormally high temperatures; and weather experts in Italy expect the country to be steamy until September.
---
I think its George W. Bush's fault.  Laugh out loud

I actually feel really bad for you guys in Europe right now as air conditioning systems arent exactly as prevalent as they are here.

Does anyone else find it slightly amusing that the Pope is asking people to pray for rain? Are we [Catholics] an Indian tribe now? Should we also pray for a good hunt and a good harvest too?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aa61hvy

RE: Temps In London Hit 100 For The First Time Ever!

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:04 am

I hope all the LHR guys are out watching the 747s using the whole runway!
Go big or go home

b757300

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:06 am

Wow, that's just a typical summer day in Texas.

"I think its George W. Bush's fault.  Laugh out loud"

Within the next 5 replies, someone will blame Bush for this. After that, the thread will turn to Kyoto, and then people from certain countries commenting on how backwards the U.S. is.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

NKP S2

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:15 am

B757300: "Within the next 5 replies, someone will blame Bush for this. After that, the thread will turn to Kyoto, and then people from certain countries commenting on how backwards the U.S. is"

I was musing the same thing as I read/scrolled...and I second the bet you'll be correct in your prediction...except you left out the part about Ronald Reagan being responsible for the proliferation of A.I.D.S. or whatever.

racko

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:33 am

I'll do B757300 a favour: Kyoto, he's not responsible for the current heat, but he might be for the heat in 20 years.

Anyway, it should cool down from thursday on.

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:51 am

George Bush isn't at fault, B757300, but you're at fault for trying to turn this into another flame war. Nice try pal, but I don't think it'll work.

I hope you guys get over that heat wave. We had one hear last year-didn't hit 100 F, but came damn close many times, and it was just awful. Maybe they ARE used to such things in Texas, but here, it was just a physical drain with such temps.

The worst summer I've been through here was '88. It hit 100 4 times in Cleveland-unheard of, and hit 90 or better 45 times-we average 90 three times in a normal summer. Most of those 90's were 95 or better. It was just so oppressive. The day of the CO Company picnic, it was 102, and we set an all time record of 104, so I feel your pain.  Smile

[Edited 2003-08-10 22:51:49]

CPH-R

RE: Temps In London Hit 100 For The First Time Eve

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:24 am

Quiet, I'm trying to suffer in silence  Laugh out loud - no, seriously, I'm trying to get myself to go to bed, but it's just so hot (not that my PC is helping :P).

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:33 am

CPH-R, throw some ice on the bed...if any ice is in sight!  Big grin

DoorsToManual

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:33 am

CPH - I totally agree. Getting to bed is a bitch. Reminds of me living in Brazil, India and Sri Lanka a few years ago......but over there, we had some fantastic air-conditioning units.

Never thought I'd be wishing for AC here in Britain!!

BTW, the highest temp. recorded in Britain today (since records began) was at.....Heathrow!  Big grin

Mind you, you'd think all that jet efflux might help...

cptkrell

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:41 am

Hmmmmm....can't stand the occassional heat? Try working an entire summer tossing hay under a tin-roof barn where the temp rarely is lower than 125 deg(F) and blowing your nose in a rag produces more weight in small spiders and airborne insects than even dust. C'mon, get off the pain-cart. BTW, Jcs17 mentioned air conditioning systems not being as prevalent in Europe as in the USA. Why not? Most of the preaching about global warming started in Europe, no? Why not prep for it? Sorry....I couldn't resist throwing more fuel onto the fire (pun intended)  Smile ...Jack
all best; jack

teva

RE: Temps In London Hit 100 For The First Time Eve

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:48 am

Cptkrell, maybe global warning wold be slower, without aircon.
What about all the energy consumed by those equipment.
By the way, if I have no aircon in my car is the same reason I switch it off even in August in Dubai: it makes me sick.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:59 am

Teva wrote:

"By the way, if I have no aircon in my car is the same reason I switch it off even in August in Dubai: it makes me sick."

If it's properly installed and maintained, there is no reason why aircon should make you sick -- just ask a doctor. After all, if a pleasant day outside isn't bad for your health, why should pleasant temperatures inside be a problem? In the US, air conditioning is widespread, but I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from it there. Most people who say they get sick from aircon simply aren't used to the slightly drier air produced by AC units. Besides, if I had to choose, I'd rather get sick than spend an August in Dubai (or home in Arizona) without air conditioning. BTW, do you have this problem just with car AC units or AC in general?

"Cptkrell, maybe global warning wold be slower, without aircon.
What about all the energy consumed by those equipment."

I respect you, Teva, but I have to say "nonsense" here. One could also say that global warming would also be slower without heating in the winter (particularly good analogy), without TV sets, refrigerators, computers, cars, etc. When summers are as hot as this one, air conditioning is a neccessity (at least for many people), not a luxury. The right approach is to try to make it more energy-efficient, not to do without it altogether.

Cptkrell wrote:

"BTW, Jcs17 mentioned air conditioning systems not being as prevalent in Europe as in the USA. Why not? "

Well, they are getting far more widespread nowadays, with huge sales figures particularly in southern European countries. And throughout Europe, most new cars now have AC units. The reason this is happening so late is primarily because air conditioning units costly until recently -- they were considered too expensive in the generally pooorer southern countries, while they were mostly seen as unnecessary in the wealthier northern nations (which can get hot, but usually only a few days every year). Here's a little tidbit: In Frankfurt, where residential aircon units are rare, some local residents spent the past few nights in hotel rooms so they could sleep comfortably.

[Edited 2003-08-11 02:11:01]

cptkrell

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:14 am

Wooops! Teva is the first to bite on the bait, even alluding to that air conditioning is a concern when it comes to the global warming equation.
Before starting an argument based on good intentions and feelings of same, it would be more productive to research a little prior to turning your auto's a/c off (unless, of course, as you say, "it makes you [personally] sick").

This might not be the forum topic to debate the pluses and minuses of energy production/consumption, however, it is somewhat relevent to my above question of why not use technology for (additional) health/productive/comfort
purposes? It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it...jack
all best; jack

EGGD

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:14 am

I love it,

we had the heaviest rain ever recorded as well today, of course everybody in England is only interested in London, but boy it wasn't so hot in the rain!

It hasn't rained in the Cotswold for months, and then we had so much rain.... never seen so many floods!

DoorsToManual

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:22 am

Hey, how's it hangin' in Kiribati?

EGGD

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:04 am

Kiribati is cool, reminds me a bit of Bristol though  Smokin cool

IMissPiedmont

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:27 am

Does nobody realize that a 100 degree day in most of Texas equates to an 80 degree day in most of Great Britain? One hundred in London is hotter than any Texan has ever experienced. OK, OK, people in Dallas or Houston are miserable at 65F but that has nothing to do with the ambient temperature.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

STT757

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:50 am

It's been the opposite here on the East Coast of the US, this is one of the coldest, wettest Summers on record.

It's rained everyday so far this August, the tempature reached 90f only twice so far this Summer.

The forecast for this week calls for , rain, rain, etc..

To tell you the truth I prefer the rain and cool tempratures to the heat and drought, although it's cool (78-83") it's humid and Muggy.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

L-188

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:54 am

we have been flirting with 80 up here in Anchorage.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

fspilot747

Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:17 pm

O.A.T. at 3,500 Ft here in SoCal was 97F today. At 7,100 it was in the 80's at Big Bear (O.A.T.) Do you know how sweaty it can get in a 172? VERY. It's gross.

My car temp showed 104 when I got down.. when I turned it on. Then it cooled down to 99.

Cheers

ryanb741

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:56 pm

Well, having lived in the Middle East, Australia, Thailand, India and Pakistan and now the UK, it makes me laugh to see the Brits going all crazy about a little hot weather. It's not THAT hot for god's sake - when I lived in Riyadh we hit 55 Celcius a couple of times and THAT was hot!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:06 pm

I'm in DUB, and I dont' know what the hell you people are talking about - yesterday the newsman was jumping around at 9:00 in the morning because we had sun and 18 degrees celsius... Laugh out loud
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:32 pm

Here at CMF, we haven't had a day under 35c (95F) in the last two~three weeks.

It might be harsh, but I'm not complaining. We have a few lakes to swim in after work, and I prefer to have a hot CAVOK day than a cool rainy day (you can fly VFR in the former, you cannot in the latter).

Antoine

[email protected]

Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:12 pm

I stayed away from anywhere in London including LHR, the beach is the place to be.
In Arsene we trust!!

Banco

Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:53 am

Gravesend in Kent went even hotter than LHR later in the day.

Incidentally, the reason 100F is so uncomfortable in the UK is because of the high humidity. I've just come backf rom Dubai, and whilst it was much hotter, it was a damn sight more uncomfortable in the UK.

Air conditioning units have been selling particularly well over the last few weeks, but on the whole they aren't usually necessary.

On the subject of global warming, I think people need to be careful here. All too often anything slightly out of the ordinary is immediately blamed on global warming. It needs to be remembered that the climate is constantly changing anyway, and to automatically assume any slight anomaly is man-made is both premature, and frankly silly.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:52 pm

This will give you some kind of an idea about just how unusual this summer is:

Ljubljana, Slovenia, located south of the Alps, on average experiences about 13 days each year with temperatures exceeding 30C (86F). This year, the city has had more than 50 such days and will probably see 60 before it's all over -- of course making it by far the hottest summer on record.

teva

Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:46 am

PHX-LJU, if you are in Slovenia right now, I have a good solution for you: one of the fantastic caves of your country.
Don't forget to take with you some Karst ham, Teran and Jeruzalem wines.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

RayChuang

Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:08 am

I think the problem for Europe is that unless you live in southern Europe (where temperatures soar above 35 degrees Celsius regularly during the summer) people don't have easy access to air conditioning, which can make living conditions extremely miserable if a long heat wave happens.  Nuts

Here in the USA, we've had air conditioning available for a long time, mostly to alleviate heat conditions above 35 degrees C. with 80-plus percent humidity east of the Rocky Mountains (especially in the US Southeast) and heat conditions WAY over 40 degrees C. in the deserts of the US Southwest (Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ couldn't be large cities today without extensive use of air conditioning).

Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:17 am

Teva,

I am in Slovenia now; thanks for your suggestions! The caves are really nice (I love Skocjanske Jame), but I can even cool of at my place in Ljubljana, as we recently had AC installed. But as I'm writing this, I'm staying in the Alpine region of the country, and that is even better! The days are hot even here, but the evenings and nights get downright chilly. I hope things are getting somewhat better in France as well.

Unfortunately, I don't drink (even though I know that Slovenian wines can be very good), and I don't really like Karst prosciutto ham; I prefer sausages and other traditional dishes from that area. Of the Slovenian dishes, roast duck with red cabbage and mlinci (imagine boiled matzo bread) is my fave. Otherwise, I love French food -- from foie gras on baguettes to onion soup, from bistro classics to nouvelle cuisine. But I'm really off-topic now...

khi747

Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:18 am

I dont see whats the big deal....there is something called an Airconditioner and if you turn that on you'd be all set.....as Ryanb741 pointed out 100 degress Fahrenheit or 38 Celcius is really not that big of a deal..there are tens of places right now in the world that are much much hotter....45 Celcius or 115 Fahrenhiet plus then you have a point....the hottest i have experienced was 54 C or 130F in Bahrain and that was something!....but i guess the reason even 37C or 100F is such a big deal in Europe is because not only are they not used to such temperatures but they are not equiped either..most homes in the UK dont even have fans let alone A/C's so that changes alot...

IMissPiedmont

Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:47 pm

Well, KHI747, you might just want to consider relative hunidity. I live in Tucson where 110F is common 3 months out of most years but I'll be poked in the eye if I could walk outdoors in London, Paris or Chicago at 90F with a smile.

I've also been to Bahrain and Saudi Arabia in 120-130 heat and was quite comfortable. Just fetch yourself down to a place with swamp coolers some summer and the concept of low humidity, heat and airflow will become apparent.

I love heat and hate humidity.

ryanb741

Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:21 pm

Again I don't think it's too humid - it has only been around 70% or so. Book yourself a little trip to Bangkok in the monsoon season where humidity averages 90%. Now THAT's humidity! To be honest I quite like humid weather anyway as it makes your skin really clean (if you have acne or spots - one week in somewhere like Bangkok will clear them up)
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

aloges

Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:48 pm

I was in a city by the Baltic Sea during the last few days, and it was so much better than home... 30 to 32 degrees instead of 34 to 36, and a constant breeze. You really get to appreciate that when at home, even the leaves of trembling poplar don't move.

The problems in Europe aren't only heat and humidity, but also ozone. Especially older people have problems with it, like strokes and heart attacks.

As for "It's all George Bush's fault": Thanks for the chuckle!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

racko

Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:37 pm

The problem is that we here are not prepared and not used to such a heat. When you have this kind of heat every year, you can prepare for it with AirCons etc...but at the moment, all over Europe Airconditioners are sold-out.

kaitakfan

Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:35 am

Hell, the other day it was 116 here in PHX! Every time I know its gonna be a really hot one this summer I would head down to Sky Harbour Airport to watch Lufthansa 449 Heavy take off at 3:30PM! Imagine how miserable that is with nothing but concrete and gravel around you! Completely drenched in sweat by the time the A340 takes to the runway. Sure is exciting to see the pilot hold the breaks while pushing the throttles up to near take off power before releasing the breaks. That sucker uses up nearly every foot of runway 26! To those at LHR... get out there and watch in awe as the heavy jets lift off very sluggishly!

IMissPiedmont

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:36 pm

"Again I don't think it's too humid - it has only been around 70% or so." Only?

Let me just check what we have up here on my mountain.......... OK. It's muggy as hell outside with a humidity of 78% but at least it's cold outside tonight. Only 71 degrees.

Oh KaiTakFan, I feel for you. Phoenix, as is Bangkok, is a miserable place to be. Any time of year.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:14 pm

IMissPiedmont wrote:

"Oh KaiTakFan, I feel for you. Phoenix, as is Bangkok, is a miserable place to be. Any time of year."

Actually, unlike Bangkok, Phoenix isn't tropical. The winters there are as perfect as they can be, with temperatures in the sixties and seventies, and mostly sunny skies. In fact, Phoenix is one of the few places in the US or Europe where winter weather doesn't get miserable... well, except for Christmas (It's hard to get into the holiday mood with such perfect weather).

IMissPiedmont

Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:19 pm

Yeah, but I just hate Phoenix. I'm starting to hate Tucson as well but I only drive into the city once a month or so.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

racko

Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:40 pm

Relaxing 26° C here at the moment, feels really cool.  Smile

jaysit

Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:58 am

Was just in London. It was brutal. Massive delays in the tube because the lines were buckling. And, yes, the heavies were using up all the runaway. When I returned my rental car at the Hertz car drop-off at Heathrow (which is at the end of the runaway) I thought that the 744s and 343s would never rotate ! Btw, the Hertz rental is the BEST place to spot.

Incidentally, even Scotland was warm. I was walking around in shorts and a T-shirt in Inverness at 10 pm on a balmy Monday evening. The temperature never went below about 24 C.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:26 am

BTW, when I re-read Teva's argument that "maybe global warning wold be slower without aircon" I couldn't help thinking that maybe 3,000 people in France would be alive today with aircon (That's how many people have reportedly died in the recent heatwave). I like Teva, but I think he's simply wrong here.