Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jpetekyxmd80
Topic Author

Airline Credit Cards

Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:34 am

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum or anything, but i just want to vent and inform on a very frustrating day i have had involving Juniper Bank. Well, heres the story....

First of all, everyone in my family uses the Midwest Airlines MasterCard. We have used this card for 7 years, under perfect credit, no late payments, and always paying the full balance at once. We have accumulated hundereds of thousands of frequent flyer miles. Not the kind of customer that is very profitable ot the financing companies. Late last year, the card was switched from Elan Financial Services to Juniper Bank. Everything seemed to be continuing as normal, until this summer. Late in July, when we returned from our California vacation, our bill was waiting for us, and we paid promptly. When we got our next payment, added was a $66 Finanace Charge and $35 service fee for late payment. Today when my mother contacted them, she received some of the worst customer service i have ever heard of. She talked to a 'manager' who said they could not revoke the charge, said he didnt have access to our credit history prior to Juniper's take over, and cited a bogus late payment that never occured. I have never heard of this type of rude service and actions toward a loyal, agreement abiding customer in the credit card industry. He cited that he couldnt revoke the charges after the weeks delay in payment, and his rude demeanor was continuous.

When i heard of this treatment and policy, i was obviously outraged, and called up as soon as i could. When I asked for this manager, i was told that the representative did not have his extension, but i gave her my phone and cell number, and said he would call me as soon as possible. Needless to say that call never happened.

I have never heard of such policy and stubborness towards good customers like this case. I know that is how these companies make their money, based on extra charges so often encountered, but it is unacceptable to treat good customers like this. The frequent flyer customers of Midwest, AirTran, and Frontier, all who utilize Juniper Bank for their credit card financial services, deserve better treatment than this. These business practices are unbelievable, and i would like to spread the word to others with Midwest, AirTran, and Frontier credit cards. Coming from a member of upper management, i dont think this can be dismissed as an isolated incidnet or poor treatment, and we customers deserve better. I find it incomprehensible for a banner customer to be charged $101 for a paying a bill 6 days late due to being away utilizing ironically Midwest Airlines whom the credit card is named. Unaccpetable.

Thank you for your time, and i hope this might work to get the word out and lead to better customer service of users of airline credit cards.

Sincerely,
Justin
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

MCOtoATL

Preach It, Brother

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:01 am

I have had problems with my AirTran card from Juniper bank. It was so frustrating that I simply had the balance transferred to another card and will never do business with Juniper again. I flew AirTran this past weekend, and in Atlanta they had several booths set up in an effort to get people signed up to their credit card (they were giving away free merchandise.) Really, they are not such a deal. First, there is an annual fee, whereas most cards have no such fees anymore. Secondly, the interest is much higher than it is for other cards. But the thought of something for nothing (a free flight) causes us to sometimes do things that defy common sense. Granted, if the bank was a bit better in their treatment of customers, I could see the value. But it is not worth putting up with such treatment. I tore up my AirTran card months ago (even though I love Airtran.)

I wonder if a letter to the airline itself would do any good?

Sean-SAN-

RE: Airline Credit Cards

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:11 am

In my opinion, the best card (by far) is the Starwood Amex. You get 1 point per $1 spent, and you can transfer miles to any airline in 5000 mile blocks. Transfer 20,000, and you get an extra 5000 for free. Of course, you can also use the points for Starwood hotels.

All for $30/year.

Sean

Northwesta319

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:13 am

Currently, my parents have a regular Mastercard but they are thinking about the Southwest Airlines visa.

jpetekyxmd80
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:32 am

I would think that input to the airline itself would be appreciated and might do more than we can do individually, i will certainly be contacting midwest miles in the next few days.

NW747-400

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:35 am

Although I am somewhat new to the credit card industry and I am not a fan of American Express, I have nothing but good experiences with the Delta Skymiles AMEX.

kjet12

Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:43 am

I'm thinking about getting a Hawaiian Airlines MasterCard. They have now switched to Bank Of America, and one new thing is that you don't have to live in a state that is served by HA. It's now open anyone in any state. However, I live in the midwest, but travel to Honolulu many times a year. How do you think this would suit me. I can earn HawaiianMiles on NW or HP and redeem them on NW or HP. What do you think??

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.

neednewairport

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:19 am

I find it interesting that some of the younger ones on here know so much about their parents charge cards. Growing up, I knew nothing except that American Express existed.

Now.....however, I have a USairways visa from Bank of America. Since they have my mortgage, home equity line of credit and both car loans, why not have my one credit card be with them. It is so easy, view all my accounts, including checking and savings at one website.

My 2 cents

jpetekyxmd80
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:23 am

HELL YEAH I KNOW ABOUT MY PARENTS CREDIT CARDS! Got it memorized, thank god for the internet.  Big thumbs up

tekelberry

Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:14 pm

You will always get better customer service if you have a card through a large bank (i.e. Bank of America, Citibank, USBank, CHASE, etc.).

ha763

Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:11 pm

Kris,

If you plan on flying on Hawaiian often, then get it. Otherwise you may be better off getting a credit card with one of Hawaiian's partners who you have an FF account with and would more likely travel on more.

capt078

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:25 pm

i have several airline credit cards, and believe it or not, my best card is my blue from american express. no annual fee, one mile for every dollar spent, can be used on any major airline (except northwest), and the miles post immediately after the bill is paid. plus, if i do not pay my bill, i have a low 6.99% apr. granted, i did not get any initial mileage bonuses, but i do get other mileage bonuses all the time.

ntspelich

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:32 pm

I just use Blue from American Express also. Sign up for membership rewards, each $1 is a point. Get 2000 points, transfer them to a FF program, or save them up for other airline rewards. A nice selection of non-airline rewards also. No annual fee too.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:36 pm

I have the AF AMEX, 1 Euro of purchasing = 0.6 mile, 1 euro with AF or partners (Accor Hotels, SkyTeam partners,etc..). I have always been staisfied with their service and they always treated me correclty, even when I was late in one payment  Smile
Now I'm getting the MBNA Ryanair Visa Gold...I'll let you know how things go.
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

jpetekyxmd80
Topic Author

Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:16 am

UPDATE:

Never recieved a call back, so we called again today. We talked to someone else who showed the same degree of rudeness and saying it was company policy not to waive late fees for anyone. Rudest customer service of any company I've encountered, worse than any airline. Looks like we're in the market for a new credit card, so thank you all for your suggestions, I will be looking into them. I also have to advise you if you are in the market for a Midwest, Frontier or AirTran credit card, think twice about doing business with Juniper Bank. Never again......

jcs17

Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:05 am

I have an AAdvantage MasterCard (credit), and a Chase Bank/Continental Airlines MasterCard debit card. I've never had a problem with either, other than the AAdvantage card becoming unuseable (it cancels for security reasons) if I purchase gas more than twice a week. Good customer service with both cards.

I usually only use the credit card for stuff that my parents will reimburse me for--the essentials. I use my debit card for anything else.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

777fan

Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:19 am

I have had the same issue with my Citibank AAdvantage Mastercard. They want you to use it, but for security reasons, they frequently make it unusable!

I have made several purchases through the internet, car rentals, hotel stays and such and they lock it up for more than two internet transactions.

Other than that, it has been a good card and the only one I carry!

Rgds,

Greg
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

prebennorholm

Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:50 am

An "Airline Credit Card"! What should that be good for?

Do you go to the baker and have your car serviced?
Do you go to the hair dresser to buy a fridge?
Do you go to the gas station and buy an airline ticket?

Go to your trusted bank and get a decent credit card.
Let the bank balance the credit card account automatically each month.
If relevant, get an allowance for a cheap interest credit overdraft on your ordinary bank account.

Then you only have to worry about how to get the most fun out of spending your money.
It really is that simple.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs