Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dirkou
Topic Author

Typical Vacation

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:22 am

Just a question: what is the most typical summer vacation in UK and in the USA? August? July? September? I know this is generalizing a lot but...

Tks.

RE: Typical Vacation

Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:27 am

I know that in USA paid vacation tends to be a brief 2 weeks, after (at least) one year of employment. In other countries, employment laws are much more liberal as far as vacation... 6 weeks for our friends in France is not uncommon.
xxx
Vacations tend to be scheduled with school vacations (so parents can take kids with them), in the USA, Canada and Europe, vacations span in July and in Ausust generally... Here in Argentina (or Australia and NZ) this would take place in January and February...
xxx
What is (to me, American-born) is the USA people vacation habits for any international travel, because of their rabic fear of foreign languages, they will select London as their primary vacation spot... (although they are in dire need of interpreters there) - Americans travel in other areas too, i.e. Cancun... at the beach there, they might be lucky to meet any Mexicans..., the only language on the beach is English...
xxx
I tend to go on vacation where "nobody goes" and "unknown places" as far as travel agencies are concerned... I fear to meet the people from my area... my next vacation is Fernando de Noronha islands... look for it in the atlas. I also like vacations when there are no tourists, as far as the season.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

EGGD

Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:32 am

Most British people go on holiday in August to Spain, Majorca or somewhere else on the Meditteranean.

They are known as the bucket and spade brigade  Smokin cool

JA54123

Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:49 am

My family always goes to Roatan, Honduras in the Month of July or August for an annual scuba vacation and we usually spend the rest of our vacations in the US--One could never see or do all that there is in a life time in all of the 50 states that make up our country (and we have our favorite cities/places). We have however had some European and Australian & Mexican vacations thrown in there for something different and fun.

Jason

Skipper: You will have to tell us about the Fernando de Noronha islands, when you get back. I have been reading about them for a while and am contemplating a trip there. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

You wouldn't understand, it's a Texas Thang!

Dirkou
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:13 am

Skipper: thanks a lot for your reply. I was this year in Sao Tome island, off the coast of Africa...try to go there - that's the end of the world and a complete paradise. Last year I went alone from Sao Paulo to Venezuela by bus and boat (Amazon river). Now I'm planning to go Kazakstan and Central Asia.

What were the most uncommon places you have ever been to?

Personally I would love to go to those South Indian Ocean Islands closed to Antarctida...but there is no way to go there...maybe if I buy a boat in a near future and do a round-the-world...who knows.

Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:40 am

I went to many "uncommon places" in my life, thanks to airline travel privileges, and having met many airline people overseas, who are always eager to offer me room and board when I visit, and recommend me the areas to visit. Of course, I would not dream to go to Cancun...
xxx
Among my hobbies - shall I mention that I am attracted by old historical sites, and archaeology. I hit my books and do "my homework" when launching on a specific travel spot. I do not rely on travel agents and generating their fees and/or commissions, although I realize they have a job to do...
xxx
Among the unusual places I have been, to mention a few, be ready for a mix of many areas some of you may not know. Madeira Island for my homeymoon, Baalbek (Lebanon), Zanzibar and Tabora (Tanzania), Galapagos and Easter Island, Hammerfest (Norway) for the midnight sun, Lhassa (Tibet) to visit the Portola, Lake Titicaca (Peru/Bolivia), Manaus (Brazil) to visit native Amazon villages (vacation on a river boat), the ruins of Troy (Turkey), the Pantanal (Brazil), Ulan Bator (Mongolia) and of course, Ushuaia, the southermost city of Argentina... - I probably do forget to mention other places. I wish is to visit Angkor Wat (Cambodia)...
xxx
For beach vacations, family type, I go to Mar del Plata (Argentina) often, to Punta del Este (Uruguay) and Florianolopis (Brazil)... With the devaluation of the Argentina peso, vacations in Bariloche (Argentina mountain resort) and Foz de Iguazu (Argentina/Brazil border) are worth a visit, Iguazu Falls are certainly the most majestic falls, Victoria Falls and Niagara could not compare.
xxx
Fernando de Noronha (off Natal, Brazil) is my next spot... I also plan a trip to Tikal (Guatemala), this with a group of Mexico City university students in archaeology... Best travel agents often are university student groups. I am an old fart soon to be 60 of age, but I enjoy the young guys, and their company.
xxx
There are other places than discotheques for vacations...
Besides, in my next life, I will be a photographer for National Geographic...
Happy contrails -
(s) Skipper

cptkrell

Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:08 am

Well, being retired, everyday is a vacation day, however when I was still at GM, my seniority allowed five weeks paid vacation. I never took all five weeks consecutively, wanting to "spread it out" over two or three weeks at a time with left-over days/weeks for other stuff. It worked quite well, especially during air show "season" where we would commonly spend three to five day weekends depending on the venue.

That said, other co-workers, interested in other activities have traditionally taken off a week at a time for the opening of hunting/fishing seasons and such. Many folks, even if they are limited to two or three weeks, plan on excursions to far away places, which I think is a good idea. I dare say that between all of my co-workers combined, there is probably not a geographical area on the planet that I haven't been exposed to with their personal tales, photos, etc. I would also estimate that there is no "favorite" Holiday that ranks among them; pole to pole or circumference...reasonable air travel is truely a wonder...jack
all best; jack

vaporlock

Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:26 am

Well, for me...I love to head up into Northern Ontario........camp, fish, swim, go up in some really fine float planes (Beaver/Otter/Cessna), drink fine wine or just have a couple of beers.... in a very private place with someone special...........check out the stars just hang out for a couple of weeks without anyone around to bug us.....

Phyllis  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

vaporlock

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:02 am

This is my idea of a "GREAT" vacation!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Davies

Phyllis  Big thumbs up

jcs17

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:50 am

I'd say my family usually takes four or five vacations a year...Usually three or four day vacations three times a year to somewhere in America, and then a couple of week long vacations (usually in March or April and then in July or August) somewhere either in the Caribbean, Europe, or Hawaii. Most Americans tend to take vacations in the summer, but many still take vacations all through the year...especially around the holidays or March and April.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!