Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airjampanam
Topic Author

Iraq VS Cuba

Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:16 pm

After the sandstorm has settled... Wouldn't it have been cheaper, logistically easier to invade Cuba than Iraq?
Just a thought.
Especially since this US government seems to be in the business of Despot removal!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

KROC

RE: Iraq VS Cuba

Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:36 am

And what would your reasoning for invading Cuba be? Suspected 40 year old and out dated weapons from the Soviet Union?

bobrayner

Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:40 am

Well, somewhere had to be invaded, and it's looking as though Iraq was a poor choice. Got any better suggestions?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cunning linguist

airjampanam
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:43 am

KROC.. I think my reasoning would be the same as the justification for invading Iraq as it now seems to be playing out.
Lets just hope GWB doesn't steal the next election.
Bush and war seem to go hand in hand.

yyz717

Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:51 am

Cuba is doing just fine on its own. It is not a threat to anyone. It's close to surpassing Florida as the #1 vac spot in winter for Canadians. The only odd thing about it is the dearth of Americans.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airjampanam
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:01 am

My sarcasm seem to have missed the target.
I simply wondered aloud about the US government baring its fangs clear around the world to the armpits of the middle east, when we could have created just as much of a mess closer to home.

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:23 pm

Sorry, but we did promise the Soviets back in 63 that we wouldn't.

Haven't put IRBM's back into Turkey either.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:12 pm

And what would your reasoning for invading Cuba be?

Oh, I don't know. Their leader still supports terrorism; he has a record of human rights violatons that stretch from here to Mars; he's imprisioned his own nation. Gee, the only thing missing is WMD's, KROC. Other than that, he sound a lot like Saddam Hussein.

Just shows you that this war against Hussein wasn't fought for these Holy reasons Bush gives. It was fought for personal reasons, and to advance a neocon ideal of the world that is truly scary.

KROC

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:30 pm

Whatever Alpha 1. If we invaded Cuba for the people, it would give complainers like you something else to bitch about. In reality you couldn't give to piles of crap about he Cuban people, you would just be happy as hell you could bash someone over the invasion.

N6376M

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:44 pm

The absolutely best thing we could do to depose Castro is immediately end the embargo.

The US policy of isolationism (started by JFK - Kennedy not Kerry for you Dems out there) has done more to perpetuate Castro's existence beyond anything the former USSR or anyone else could have done.

Once exposed to freedom and the opportunities available to you under a capitalistic economy, I know of no nation that remains communist for long. Why do you think China fights so hard to keep a tight leash on information in and out of the country?

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:59 pm

If we invaded Cuba for the people, it would give complainers like you something else to bitch about.

If it is as unwarrented as what I believe Iraq was, you bet I'd bitch about it.

In reality you couldn't give to piles of crap about he Cuban people, you would just be happy as hell you could bash someone over the invasion.

I never said I did give a crap, now did I KROC? And neither does Bush give as shit about the people in Iraq, even though he portends to every day. That's my point.

The absolutely best thing we could do to depose Castro is immediately end the embargo.

For once, we entirely agree. Although you should have pointed out that when Kennedy put the embargo in effect, Cuba was an active, willing vassal of the Soviet Union, and, in 1962, it deserved to have an embargo on it.

bobrayner

Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:52 am

The US policy of isolationism (started by JFK - Kennedy not Kerry for you Dems out there) has done more to perpetuate Castro's existence beyond anything the former USSR or anyone else could have done.

I couldn't agree more!
(with this bit, at least  Smile )

[edited for readability]

[Edited 2003-09-19 18:00:49]
Cunning linguist

N6376M

Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:53 am

I can't even understand what the goal of the embargo is. I read somewhere that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. One would think that after about 40 years of this failed policy isolationism, the government would try something different.

Obviously the Congressional delegation from FL is very vocal on this. I've never understood why they support the isolation policy when it has so obviously failed and the experience of "glasnost" with the USSR.