Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

corocks
Topic Author

French Polynesia Islands

Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:07 am

I am currently planning a trip to French Polynesia. We have already got Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea on our itinerary. For those of you have been there, what do you think is the next best island?

RE: French Polynesia Islands

Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:34 pm

Papeete (Tahiti) is the only "tourist trap" to avoid... all the islands are fine, very few tourists - best season to go in June through September -
xxx
French Polynesia does not bear any form of similarity with Hawaii, and the Polynesians are very friendly people... French language is a definite help, English is not known in remote areas...
xxx
Bon voyage...  Smile
(s) Skipper

teva

Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:29 pm

How long do you plan to stay?
If you have time and money, try this:
http://www.aranui.com
With this trip, everything is included; you meet people, learn a lot about Polynesia, discover 3 of the 5 archipelagos (Society, Tuamotu and Marquisas)

Otherwise, my choice is Tahaa, accessible only by boat (can be a very short trip from Bora Bora or Raiatea)
From there, you can see Bora Bora. One of the best views.
And when you arrive on the little harbor, there is vanilla drying !! That smells so good !!!!

If you want more details, check my profile and send me a mail
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

OO-AOG

Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:17 pm

I've been to Rangiroa last year, very nice. Completly different, much more wild than Bora-Bora. The Blue Lagoon is worth a visit if you go to Rangiroa.
Huahine is another nice island as well.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

Marcus

Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:36 pm

Tahiti is ok.....but it is close to a tourist trap....you really don't need more than a couple of nights there, or even just one depending on the time your fly in and out.......you could go to Carrefour to get your souvenirs there, you will find the same stuff as in any other place but much much cheaper......also the "market" in downtown Papeete is worth a look but only for about an hour.....or you can check out the look out point at "The Belvedere".....the drive up the hills is very very interesting and once up there the view of Papeete, Moorea and the South Pacific is worth the drive.....when you get there just have a drink or something, don't let them scam you in to ordering something from the menu, the food is definetly overpriced.

In Moorea (those are the only two islands we visited but we are definetly going back next year), the "tour" with shark feeding and snorkeling is also worth the half a day it takes, prices vary for the same tour so shop arround, the cheapest we found was by going directly to the airport in Moorea and booking it from there.

Hey B747skipper.....where you in Papeete on new years day 2001-2002?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

AOMlover

Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:18 am

Well Bora Bora is for tourists...
You'd better go to Huahine, a wonderful island, very wild...  Laugh out loud
Mururoa is a nice place too  Big grin

copaair737

Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:42 am

Isnt Fiji in French Polynesia? I would think that would be a fun place to go. You can surf, dive, or kick it on the beach there. Ive been there before too. Its a wonderful place.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

airworthy

Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:59 am

No I think Fiji is a seperate island

GDB

Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:22 am

Fiji is an ex-British colony

kaitakfan

Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:13 am

To be correct Fiji is part of Melanesia.

So now people say Bora Bora is just for tourists? Is it getting as bad as Papeete?

AOMlover

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:03 am

Well I've never been to Bora Bora, only to Huahine, but my parents have and they liked Huahine much more than Bora Bora...
All tourists want to go to Bora Bora, this is like the "Mallorca of French Polynesia"...big hotels, etc...
Whereas Huahine is less advertised abroad, it's a wilder place...ppl there are different.

kilavoud

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:09 am

Go to the Marquesas Islands ! Fattu hiva or others. you will enjoy it. Kilavoud.

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:16 am

Hows are the people in Huahine different than the people in Bora Bora, how are they wilder? Any pics of the island?
Go big or go home

teva

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:35 pm

AA61hvy, AOMlover was talking about the islands, not the people.
the perimeter of Bora-Bora is only 32 km. All around, you have a lot of hotels. They can be small or large, they can be beautiful and built in a traditional style, it is still a lot of constructions.
(Luckily, due to the shape of the island, you will never see a second Papeete)

On the contrary, Huahine is much larger, has less hotels, and only small villages. That makes the island looking wilder.

But don't worry. There are no more cannibals in French Polynesia. The last ones were in Marquesas islands, in the 19th century
Teva

Luxair

Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:03 pm

Hey Folks, seem that you know alot about French Polynesia but what about the Hotel prices? I've checked out some overnight prices and was a bit shocked to see amounts high as the empire state building, if you know what I mean  Smile/happy/getting dizzy at least from Europe. Let's say 1 night in a 4* at Bora Bora was between 350,- and 1000,- USD!!!  Wow!
Is there a possibility to stay in French Polynesia in a good, nice Hotel but let's say for a reasonable price?

aa61hvy

Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:17 am

Look for a special Lux Air, it is quite expensive.

Teva- Which island is more secluded (you can go to a beach and not see anyone, or hear anything but the waves) Bora Bora, or Huahine? I'd love to go to one of these places, and not be bothered by anything but the sun!
Go big or go home

teva

Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:18 am

Between those 2 islands, Huahine, of course.
Do not expect large beaches anyway.
If you really want a white sand beach only for yourself, find a pension (kind of B&B)
Most of the family own a motu (small islet) where you can enjoy the sea, the beach and a BBQ.
And you will be alone there.
I did it in Tahaa
Teva

sccutler

Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:46 am

I found the place (French Polynesia) very pleasant, the people very nice. I agree that Papeete's sole function in the trip is to be a place at which you land inthe big airplane, and board the little one which takes you to your destination. I favor Moorea.

As for packing? You don't need much inthe way of clothes, pack (instead) all the money you canfind, because you *will* need that!

If you can book a trip all-inclusive, I would urge very strongly that you do so. There are a number of travel agents which specialize in French Polynesia, and you should acquaint yourself with them as soon as possible. I could not come close to duplicating their package pricing by myself. Before you decide an "all inclusive" price is high, do your checking on the cost of eating at restaurants, as well as the astronomical price of ground transport (taxis). At the nice hotels, meals can easily run USD$120.00/day/person, but I know that the prepaid deals were dramatically better.

There are also some second-tier hotels that looked to me to be very nice; one (in Moorea) was the Hotel Kaveka, which appeared very pleasant and had a very nice restaurant. I think dramatic savings can be had through careful research.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

corocks
Topic Author

Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:09 pm

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the information. I think we will go to Huahine based on this. Luckily, this will be the only island where we will have to pay for a hotel, as we can use frequent flyer miles on all the others.

Any comments on the diving? I hear lots of sharks! This will be new for me - a little nervous!