Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Banco
Topic Author

Rugby World Cup

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:47 pm

Well, it gets under way in under an hour, with an interesting opener, Australia versus Argentina.

It's a long haul this time, the tournament being stretched out for six weeks, so at least the Welsh will be able to relax for half of it.  Big grin

Is it going to be the predicted England - New Zealand final? Will Australia remember how to play rugby again? Will South Africa manage to finish a game with the full fifteen on the field? Will England ever find a forward who couldn't pass as an orc extra in Lord of the Rings? Will the USA get confused and keep giving away scrums by throwing the ball forward all the time?

Here we go....

ryanb741

RE: Rugby World Cup

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:50 pm

Terrific opening ceremony - the hundreds of schoolkids in colour making it look like a try is being scored by a huge player was wonderful.

As for the cup - nobody is invincible, and it'll be between Australia, New Zealand, England and France. I reckon you will see an Oz-England final.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:53 pm

Oh absolutely Ryan. You can argue with some justification that England and New Zealand are the two best sides, but that doesn't mean they'll win it. On any given day I would say Australia, England, France, New Zealand and possibly (with a fair wind) even South Africa, Ireland and Argentina are all capable of beating anyone else. Once we get past the group stages it's a one off. Should be fascinating with lots of people drowning their sorrows ad celebrating.

ryanb741

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:04 pm

Exactly. That's why winning the pool is crucial for England, as you don't really want to face New Zealand and Australia to get to the final. If England win the pool, then it will be likely that the other semi will be Australia and New Zealand cutting each other's throats.

One slight worry is that when we play (presumably) France in the semis, Les Bleus are so unpredictable that we will either end up giving them a 50 point battering or getting beaten by an amazing piece of Gallic brilliance (IMHO when France get it on they are nearly unstoppable - remember Lamaison against New Zealand in 1995, IMHO the finest 40 minutes of rugby I have ever seen a team play, utterly remarkable and totally compelling).

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:08 pm

1999 wasn't it?

Yes, that was just quite amazing, if for nothing else for seeing the English crowd at Twickenham cheering them on, something I'd never have thought possible. That's the thing about France, if they're in the mood they will annihilate absolutely anyone, if they're not, then they're just not very good. Funny how they can still be the same after all these years isn't it?

Hey, let's see if we can get the lowest views to posts ratio in A.net history!  Big grin

ryanb741

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:11 pm

Sorry - of course it was 1999 at Twickers, 1995 was in South Africa.

My father was at that match, and was rooting for the Kiwis as most Englishmen aren't easily going to support the French(!), but that 2nd half was so brilliant, brave and enterprising that virtually everyone except the Kiwis was up on their feet supporting the French. Apparently the ovation they got at the end has rarely been seen since.

ryanb741

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:14 pm

By the way, I have been hearing good things about Argentina, but I haven't seen the Pumas play for a while although I know they ran the Springboks close in Cape Town earlier this year. Have you seen them and if so what did you think? Funny how Argentina has a fairly rich rugby tradition considering its lack of historic ties to the UK and other rugby countries - although of course Polo is big there too.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:24 pm

I watched them beat France recently, as well as the defeats to England when the toured Argentina last winter. They're pretty much the usual Puma side, very strong in the pack. I still expect Australia to win, but I've seen a lot of press down there writing them off, which I find amazing. I'm sure that the Wallabies team won't be doing any such thing, they know they've got a tough match on their hands, and there is an outside chance of a shock. I'd say though that if the match was being played in Argentina there would a much better chance of it happening. I can't see the Aussies losing this one at home.

Actually, Group A is a really nasty one, with Australia, Argentina and Ireland all vying for the two places to go through.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:26 pm

Australia lead 14-3 at half time. To be honest, Argentina have been all over the place, failing to throw straight, driving too early at the scrum, having a player yellow carded. Stupid turnovers, though the referee has been a mite over fussy at times.

Australia should really be out of sight, but they look comfortable enough.

ryanb741

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:29 pm

I haven't been impressed with the Australian pack, Sailor and Matt Rogers look a handfull though. Argentina's set pieces have been awful - the throw ins have been wide all the time.

BNE

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:30 pm

Hey, let's see if we can get the lowest views to posts ratio in A.net history!

A sport most Americans would not be familiar with. I know Australia are playing Argentina but really couldn't be bother to go watch the TV. Maybe I get more interested in the World Cup as the games progress.

Brought a new phone yesterday and it came with a Rugby football. There have been a lot of competitions on at the moment to win tickets, jerseys all sorts of things.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:35 pm

Cant really criticise the Australain pack too heavily. It isn't that they're dreadful, it's more that the Argentine pack is a really fearsome unit. Having said that, Australia's pack is one of their weaker elements, the backline is pretty useful.

BNE - forgive me for not knowing, but are you an American in Australia then? That's the drift I get from your post.

BNE

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:48 pm

An Australian in Australia.
Follow Rugby League and Australian Football Rules. Have no interest in Rugby.

BNE

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:30 pm

Australia win the first match 24-8; did manage to watch the last 30 minutes.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:46 pm

I'm not sure we can take that much from this match. Australia did enough to win, never really looked in any danger, but didn't look particularly impressive. Having said that, I'm not sure anyone looks impressive against Argentina with their style of play. I guess all that matters is the win, you can't win the World Cup on day one.

BNE - I thought Melbourne was the stronghold of Aussie Rules?

BNE

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:50 pm

Melbourne is the stronghold of Aussie Rules but the Brisbane Lions won the AFL for the third year in a row.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:54 pm

Well I guess I've given away how much I know about it, BNE.  Big grin

I'm sure even you would get interested in the rugby if Australia reach the latter stages. Put it this way, I'm not really a fan of league, but I pay attention to the World Cup when England start to progress. The difference there is that I know damn well that they'll get stuffed by the Aussies in the final.

TSV

Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:51 am

"Melbourne is the stronghold of Aussie Rules but the Brisbane Lions won the AFL for the third year in a row."

And don't the Victorians (except for the old Fitzroy Lions fans) hate it!

Hopefully I get the chance to take in a World Cup game when I pass through Brisbane or Townsville later this month.

As for who is going to win? Well we'll just have to wait and see.

teva

Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:46 am

I have the strong feeling tomorrow will be very interesting....

Teva
(PS: + 1 on the count.... sorry for the lowest ratio...)

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:50 am

Which game, Teva? The France - Fiji one? Hmm, I can only see one winner in that one, and by quite a significant margin. Why do you say that?

teva

Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:00 am

It will be interesting because
- France is playing
- It is Saturday
-I don't work Saturday, then I can watch it.

(and it gives me the pleasure to be the first Non Britt/Non Australian in this topic  Big thumbs up )

Teva (from Toulouse)

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:11 am

Actually, you can answer me a question. Why do the French play rugby? I mean, if you look at the sport it is mostly Commonwealth countries that play it. Argentina I can understand, because of the historical Welsh link, but why France?

Not that I'm complaining, it's great for the "old enemies" to have such a wonderful sporting contest every year, but I'm puzzled.

teva

Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:39 am

Even if now, Paris starts to have some interest in Rugby, for decades, this sport has been very popular in South (and mainly Southwest) if France.
Maybe it is due to the fact that since Alienor d'Aquitaine, a lot of Brits still consider that this part of France is still a part of England..... (there is a village in Perigord that has a newspaper in English, because of the strong community)

Probably those strong links between England and Southwest explain why the rugby has always been popular in my region.

(And in fact, without my ancestors, Rugby would probably not exist... In Middle age, people were playing a game called la soule. And it can be considered as an ancestor for Rugby.

The Brittish flavor is just complicate rules and scoring (same for tennis, coming from the jeu de paume)(but it's sure that without this Brittish touch, those sports would not be so popular and interesting)

Teva

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:12 pm

Wonderful match between France and Fiji today. Still going on, and France are going to win comfortably, but Fiji's second try was unbelievable.

teva

Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:12 pm

Banco, I agree with you.
Very nice match, thanks to the 2 teams.
I am very pleased with the victory, but I feel sorry for the score, because it doesn't reflect the value of the Fijians.

fantastic match by Jauzion and Michalak, both from ... Toulouse.... European capital of aerospace industry, rugby, and cassoulet !

Teva

Banco
Topic Author

Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:53 am

Toulouse is the European capital of rugby? Are you sure? I can think of quite a few who might just take issue with that.  Big grin

England tomorrow.

ryanb741

Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:05 pm

Good performance by England - Georgia were much tougher than one might have thought - they had guts and courage and defended pretty well at times. England and the Kiwis have been the most impressive teams so far. Didn't see the Fijian try - heard it was incredible though

bobrayner

Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:46 pm

84-6, wasn't it?
Looks more like a cricket score  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

pacificjourney

Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:05 am

Some one here promised me a wager on this event not too long ago. He thought England to win or some foolish nonsense ... who was that ?

Banco
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:40 am

Ah, Pacificjourney! I was wondering when you'd turn up.  Big grin Besides, I do believe that you were the one to institute the wager, were you not?

I believe the terms were that if England or New Zealand win the tournament, then either you or I purchase a rugby shirt for the other. Is that correct?

pacificjourney

Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:42 am

Just so ! Some snappy looking gear on the RWC website but I suppose we should settle on number amount for clarity - how about 50 pounds ?

Victory also includes ENDLESS gloating rights !

pacificjourney

Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:51 am

Scandal !!! That site has no NZ jersey for sale ??????

I will settle for this one however

http://www.rugbyworldcupstore.com/catalog.asp?lang=1&catid=22&pdid=406&p=&pt=

or even this one instead

http://www.rugbyworldcupstore.com/catalog.asp?lang=1&catid=2&pdid=405&p=&pt=

Bet up to 70 pounds to cover purchase and post. Many thanks for my new gear in advance.

Banco
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:26 pm

You are extremely confident considering you lost at home to England so very recently.

pacificjourney

Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:46 pm

Ta much for the history lesson, now about that bet ??????

I'm so confident in fact I have bet 20,000 yen @ 5.5 that England WON'T make the final. Howzat ?

Banco
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:30 am

5.5? What does that mean? Is it the same as 11-2? You use a different system to us.

It's your money. Now tell me why you are so confident in England's lack of ability when anyone with the other eye open can see that they are certainly one of the two best sides in the world, with New Zealand being the other?

It doesn't mean they'll win it of course, but a little respect is needed.

pacificjourney

Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:07 am

We've been over this, don't make me do the chicken sounds.

Yes it would be 11-2 in your system.

ryanb741

Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:30 am

The thing is - are NEW ZEALAND one of the best 2 teams. i mean, the actual bona fide Kiwis in the side are just inbred sheep worriers. Their better players have been 'borrowed' from various pacific islands  Big grin I've always wondered why it is tolerated when the All Blacks poach players like Lomu, Rokocoko & co. Maybe those players aren't good enough to get into the Fiji and Samoa sides. Yes, that must be it - at least the All Blacks give them a chance to experience international rugby  Big grin

pacificjourney

Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:06 am

The 2 players you mentioned were both born and educated in NZ, what's your point exactly ?

A single Welsh, Irish, English or Scottish great-grand-parent anyone ?

The second rate Kiwis are all playing (or coaching) for the home nations.

... anyway enough of the school-boy bullshit, put up or shut up.

Banco
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:58 am

No Kiwis in the England side.  Big grin

Actually, I was reading one of those round the table interviews with various of the world's rugby emeritus and the Aussie made some crack or other about the New Zealanders being sheep-shaggers. The Kiwi replied to the effect that "Yes, we're quite proud of that actually, we export most of our lamb to Australia and you've never once thought about what you're actually eating".

Class putdown! Big grin

Springbokheavy

Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:09 pm

The South Africa vs. England will be a great one to watch. This weekend I just hope they can go a full game with 15 players on the field at all times.

The funny thing about New Zealand is that they always choke. They go into the world cup's with high hopes and high expectations but never go the full distance. The only one they have one was the first one but if the springboks were allowed to play back then they would have got the title for sure Big grin but I suppose winning the world cup at home and on your first attempt it good enough.

But if you look at the trends, Australia have won the cup in England/Europe NZ won it in SA - Texas">AUS and SA won it at home so I will bid for the Kiwi's.

Cheers - Marius

Banco
Topic Author

Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:39 am

I don't think we'll see a repeat of the war at Twickenham, Marius. In a World Cup there's too much for both sides to lose, players injured, that kind of thing.

But it's certainly the pick of the group stages!

pacificjourney

Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:27 am

Still no bet confirmation ??????

Springbokheavy

Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:26 pm

Banco, I was talking about losing players to penalties, South Africa are notorious for being yellow carded unfortunately.

Cheers - Marius

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:15 am

Pacificjourney, what on earth are you talking about? It was "confirmed" as you put it about 6 months ago. Do I have to say it again? Is your problem that you won't take yes for an answer?  Big grin

Marius, that's really what I mean. For yellow cards to appear, it either has to be for professional fouls, or for such things as high tackles. South Africa don't usually lose players for professional fouls, it is usually because of something dangerous, and that is what I think is rather less likely. Neither side will want a war, which I why I don't think we'll see it on Saturday.

pacificjourney

Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:20 am

I suppose I was looking for the cyber-handshake ... insecurity rules the day.

My wife thanks you in advance for her wardrobe enhancement.

ryanb741

Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:29 pm

The All Blacks look unimpressive at half time against Canada, although admittedly they haven't put their strongest side out

jetblast737

Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:56 pm

I want anyone to win the World Cup except the All Blacks, I have been dishing them at work badly.The problem is I work with more Kiwis than Aussies,if they win it could get ugly.Go the Wallabies !!!!

jetblast737 Big grin

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:09 am

Interesting, Jetblast - I always thought it was "anyone but England" down there?  Big grin

So how do you Aussies rate your chances? You haven't had the best of years so far, have you?

srbmod

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:49 am

Well I can say that there is a sport in which the USA sucks at. The question is who will be the worst team in the RWC, the USA or Fiji? The USA squad is made up of ex-football players and club players, basically a squad full of amateur players.

jetblast737

Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:58 pm

Banco I rate the Poms higher than the Kiwis,man the Kiwis already think they have the cup,but we will see about that.The Wallabies are just starting to hit
their straps,don't worry about them they will be there come the finals.As for the worst team in the cup its definitely not the USA or Fiji the Fijians are big blokes and now how to play, the USA just lost a game the other night by 1 point,I would say the worst team would be either Romania or Georgia.The Wallabies beat Romania today by 80 odd points ! Go the Wallabies!!!!

jetblast737 Big grin