Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNE
Topic Author

Home Improvement TV Shows

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:53 pm

Home Improvement TV shows are all the rage in Australia. There must be more than 10 shows dedicated to Auctions, Selling, garden improvement, room improvement. Some of the TV show titles include "Hot Auctions", "Auction Squad", "Changing Rooms", "Backyard Blitz", "Ground Force", "Location, Location", "Better Homes & Garden" the list goes on.

Recently we had a TV show called "The Block" where 4 couples did a complete renovation of 4 almost identical town houses. The ratings for this show were the 4th highest in Australian ratings history.

Lastly we have had "Queer Eye for the straight guy" start on network television. As far as I can tell this is just another Home Renovation show, while they try and reinforce a gay stereotype. The units that are portrayed in this TV show are very small to Australia home improvement shows. It may be just the style of units and the occupants that they have specifically wanted for this show.

Are home improvement TV shows popular in your part of the world.

777fan

RE: Home Improvement TV Shows

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:55 pm

Here in the US, we have a station called Home & Garden TV, not sure if it is available in other countries, but it is almost exclusively home/yard improvement.

Also TLC (The Learning Channel) has significant time devoted to home improvment.

My favorite is still the "This Old House" series with Steve Thomas and Norm Abrahams.

Rgds,

Greg

andersjt

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:54 pm

Here in the U.S., "Trading Spaces" on TLC, the American version of the BBC's "Changing Rooms" is the highest rated show prime-time Saturday night on cable/satellite TV. They've added 2 versions of the show, "Trading Spaces-Family" and "Trading Spaces for Kids" (on NBC) and numerous highly-rated specials.

Springbokheavy

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:54 pm

I am sick of all the Home improvement shows here in AUS. I only found out what "the block" was when I saw ppl from "the block" in adds. If you have cable here there a few channels like Lifestyle channel and Discovery channel which have home improvement shows.

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:19 pm

I love them. When I'm flipping through channels, I have to stop and watch them. I can't look away. In fact, I'm watching "Home Savvy" on TLC as I type this.

-Normal

USAFHummer

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:17 am

and then we had a sitcom that was sort of based around this concept...appropriately named "Home Improvement"

Greg