Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Did The @!*#ing Flu Get You Yet?

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:11 pm

My mother got a flu vaccine shot three weeks ago. She called me later that day and reminded me to get one before the season began.

I just got off the phone with her...and yep, we're both sick.  Pissed

So has anyone else here had their run-in with the flu bug yet? And did you get it from the vaccine?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jcs17

RE: Did The @!*#ing Flu Get You Yet?

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:16 pm

Nope, but I'm pretty sure I have mono. I'm going to the doctor tommorrow.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

BlatantEcho

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:17 pm

the companies that make the ~80million vacines a year are already out of 'em.

Can't make anymore as it takes 4 months to make it, so if you didn't get a shot yet, get it now, there should be none left very soon.

George

Shawn Patrick

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:24 pm

Already got a touch of the flu, I'm over it now. I'm in colorado, flu capital of the US. Two weeks ago, 25% of the kids at my school were gone. We're talking 300+ kids. It's bad stuff. Still a lot of people getting sick, but it's fading... here at least.

cancidas

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:27 pm

i think so. that doesn't bother me though. the fact that i can't stop coughing does.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

avt007

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:27 pm

Don`t mess around with the flu - I didn`t take it seriously one time and ended up with pneumonia-really bad.

Shawn Patrick

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:35 pm

I still can't stop coughing either. I dont think it's a big deal... is it?

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:44 pm

I didn`t take it seriously one time and ended up with pneumonia-really bad.

I did the same thing nearly 12 years ago. I ended up being sick for 3 weeks and lost 20lbs in the process.

Being sick sucks ass.  Sad
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

b757300

Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:53 pm

I won't take a flu shot ever again. I did it three years in a row and each time I came down with the dang virus shortly after getting the shot. I figure it isn't worth it since I'd get sick if I take it. At least if I don't there is a chance I won't get it.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

artsyman

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:00 pm

Well my mother is extremely ill with FLU in Hong Kong, and is at the trouble breathing stage is quite frightened about it, so do not [email protected] about with this flu.

I am extremely worried for her

Jeremy

N6376M

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:02 pm

I'm the exact opposite. I never used to take the flu shot and I always got the flu. My wife always got the shot and never got the flu. She finally convinced me and for the past four years, I've got the shot and not had any more than a cold during the entire period.

My doctor told me that it was important to get the shot early in the season (very early fall).

kc7mmi

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:16 pm

*Knock on wood* I can't remember the last time I got the flu but I did get a cold while staying in Ft Worth a couple weeks ago. Luckily it didn't keep me from getting my pics of choppers (soon to be seen on a.net).
-Benjamin

avt007

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:25 pm

Artsyman- I hope your Mom is ok. When I had pneumonia I had trouble breathing, and I could hear a bubbling sound with every breath- scary stuff.
Along with a fever that gave me brutal nightmares, it was not fun.

artsyman

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:38 pm

She is in tears, scared and hoping she gets though it

Jeremy

USAFHummer

Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:48 pm

I didnt get a shot (3 hour lines to get one when it was offered)...hoping that it doesnt come back to haunt me...seeing as it seems half of Colorado is sick...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:42 pm

No shot, no flu. Although we've had a guy die from it so far in my county. Oh well, I like to live on the edge.

Brett

seb146

Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:53 pm

I get sick about once every 4 or 5 years. I'll be darned if I am sick now. I have no idea what it is but I have been planning my funeral. LOL I have forgotten what this is like. I think the worst of it has passed as I am falling asleep rather than passing out. The only things that bother me are the sore throat and where did I get it?

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

aa61hvy

Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:58 pm

EA CO- The flu that is out right now, is slightly different than what the vaccination gives immunity to. So it may be the "new" flu that got you

I have something right now, I'm sore, I get real hot, the real cold, I always have flem in my throat. I have been taking Day Quil and Sudafed Sinus and Cold. I have exams soon too, what luck
Go big or go home

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:27 am

I have something right now, I'm sore, I get real hot, the real cold, I always have flem in my throat.

I've got the same thing. Lots of phlegm, sore EVERYWHERE (legs especially), alternating chills and sweltering, etc.

Lots of water!

An-225

Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:23 am

Well, I got it, and it's not exactly a pleasant feeling. Also, I have to load planes today and tomorrow.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

atrude777

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:22 am

I got the flu shot so im hoping nothign happens.

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

ryanb741

Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:32 am

I've had Chinese flu (Fujian strain) since last Sunday. I am pretty much over it but it was one of the worst doses I have ever had (usually takes an act of God to get me out of the office but I was only able to get in on friday). And I'm a great healer!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

aa61hvy

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:11 am

Glad to see we are now importing diseases from China and not just clothes  Big grin
Go big or go home

MD-90

Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:42 am

I've never had the flu, so I admit that I've never bothered to get a free flu shot when the university health center offers them (in the Union, no less, which is convenient).

UAL747

Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:12 am

YUP! I had 102 degree fever for about a week. 102 is high for me since my normal body temp is around 97 degrees. Had the chills and sweats, and several other unpleasant things.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

BR715-A1-30

Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:45 am

I have never gotten a flu shot, and I have never gotten the flu. Although once in 2/99 I got pneumonia really really bad. I had a 103 fever that went away after a while, but I was coughing up this yellowish greenish crap that looked like I had ingested it through my a**. It was horrible. Finally I got better and since then I have had nothing worse than a cold.

::KNOCK ON WOOD::
Puhdiddle

DeltaMD11

Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:45 am

EA CO AS
Interesting that you say that. A lot of my friends and their families who have got the shot this year have gotten sick immediately after. I'll avoid the shot and take my chances thanks. I have a sinus infection right now if that makes you feel any better
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

ybacpa

Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:15 am

I got the big "F" last wednesday. Body checked me right about 1pm. Had to leave work at 2:30. Utterly miserable... I'm still feeling the after effects of it.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

ScarletHarlot

Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:59 am

Artsyman, I hope your mom feels better soon.

I got pneumonia from the flu when I was 18 and lost a lot of weight...that was scary, since I got so skinny that I couldn't shake the pneumonia and as soon as we thought I was okay it promptly came back.

I have asthma and can't risk getting pneumonia again, so I try to get flu shots. I don't always, since I don't like needles. But this year I got one. Now let's hope it works.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Here is an interesting link to a flu intensity map:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/US/2xFlu.html
But that was when I ruled the world

DLKAPA

Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:02 am

Yeah, I am in Colorado too. I have a bit of advice for those down with the flu. I am flu-free and happy and how did I do it? A little Echinacea and NO VACCINE! Many people at my school are "Down With The Sickness," and I am not one of them.

MUSTANGS 5A CHAMPS...

just had to throw that in there.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:09 pm

A lot of my friends and their families who have got the shot this year have gotten sick immediately

Over the past few days, I've been hearing that quite a bit from friends, co-workers, etc. Sorry to hear about your sinus infection, by the way. Those can be really nasty too.

seb146

Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:28 pm

DLKAPA: I heard a story Saturday that Echinacea does nothing at all. My ex always drank Odwalla Wellness that has Echinacea and he was sick for a week at a time. I am doing something different and it seems to be working wonders: oranges, carne asada tacos, and green tea. Laugh if you will but I did not want to sit in bed. I can feel it a bit in my chest still but Vics will take care of that!

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

L-188

Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:02 pm

I am genetically incapable of getting the flu......Genetics...

And I never get caught with my Gene's down.

You know that the Flu vaccine on any givin year only protects against three strains of the virus. And that those viruses are picked a year to a year and a half ahead of tme.

So at most it is a best guess on if your shot will protect or not.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Qb001

Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:28 pm

95% of a given population cannot tell the difference between a flu and a cold. Simple as that.

Influeza exists, but is NOT that common. You can live up to 90 years and NEVER get it. When you get it, you'll understand that the bad cold you have had previously were only that, bad cold. When it hits, it is devastating.

My son got the flu (the REAL one, confirmed by hospital tests) when he was 19 months old. I had to take care of him alone for 7 days. There's nothing he didn't "do" on me: he peed on me, he vomited on me, he bleed on me, he sneezed on me, etc. Yet, I didn't catch it because I get the anti-influenza vaccine every year.

The vaccine is 70% efficient. If it doesn't work entirely, it will nonetheless diminish the pain and the effects. And it reinforces your protection against future mutation of the virus (remember, the virus mutates every year).

As far as I know, the flu has not hit North America yet. It usually gets here around Christmas. Which is why I'm extremely skeptical when I see some of you in North America claim they got it now or recently. But there is a wave of flu in Europe now, especially in France.

About Echinacea: totally useless, except for those who sell it because they make a whole lot of money out of your credulity.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:39 am

I haven't gotten the flu, but I am pretty sick. Coughing, Sneezing, Sniffling, Sore Throat, The works. I am currently taking Z-Pak, Robitussin DM, and some pill to control my coughing. Also I am taking Tylenol PM to help me sleep at night. Can't wait till it is over.
Puhdiddle

DLKAPA

Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:18 pm

I don't care if the Ec works or not, all i know is that I aint sick, never had the flu in my life. I live in the flu capital of America, and many people I know come to school sick, teachers included, cough on me, and I AM STILL NOT SICK!

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same