Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Matt D
Topic Author

WTC Memorial Finalists Selected

Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:44 am

*yawn*

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/01/06/wtc.memorial/index.html

Wake me up when it's over.

..and a great cure for insomnia as seen below.

...and of course, this hideous abomination of a WTC "replacement" that speaks loudly of 1) wallowing in self-pity, 2) deadlocked bureaucracy, and 3) more self pity, and 4) false patriotic bravado.

goboeing

RE: WTC Memorial Finalists Selected

Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:53 am

If it's really "time to move on", they why don't they just put up another office building or two on this plot of land??? I flew right over that big hole in the ground myself last month...that is prime real estate. A memorial isn't needed after what we've seen in the past 2 years...it's already been memorialized too much. Even if they built the two twin towers again, I'd be okay with that. I just think a memorial like the ones above is just another reminder of something bad that happened and we don't need that. It serves no purpose.

Nick

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:57 am

Even if they built the two twin towers again, I'd be okay with that.

I actually wish they'd done that!

Think of it this way...if terrorists took out the Eiffel Tower, do you think the French would erect a new structure in its place, or rebuild it? The WTC should have been rebuilt exactly as it was, save for perhaps some additional fireproofing material on the interior beams.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

avt007

Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:57 am

I agree with GoBoeing- put up another building or two, put a memorial out front, and move on. MattD- if you`re so "yawn" bored with this, why go to the trouble of starting a post, adding links and pictures? Big grin

rockyracoon

Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am

They should have went with the wire helix thingy design. It would have been badass. And plus it still stay close to home as far as design is concerned. Out of all the memorials I wanted them to go with the two reflecting pools, simplicity, yet moving if done properly. A vietnam war mermorial style moment would have been another great choice. You can't argue with it, It is by far the most emotion generating moments I have ever seen. I get goose bumps and depressed everytime I've visited it.

peace
Airports I've flown from: CVG PIT DAY JAX MWO PHL PHX ORD DCA IAD MIA TPA MCO FLL ATL DTW DFW SJC LAX DEN SLC LAS HNL LIH OGG YVR GYE MUC ICN NRT PVG SHA SZX MNL PPS CRK BKK DMK KBV EOH MDE CLO CTG SMR BOG ACD MEX CUN MID MGA AUA SAL RTB

Aloha717200

Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:51 am

You know, I dislike that replacement WTC as well. The twisted "Freedom Tower" looks like a plane hit it and threw it off it's foundation already. Embarrassment

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:00 am

The WTC should have been rebuilt exactly as it was

While I'd have loved to see this myself.... unless you could come up with some aerial way to escape the upper floors (other than jumping to your death)... it'd be a hard sell to get any businesses to relocate to a WTC replica.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

STT757

Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:26 am

"Think of it this way...if terrorists took out the Eiffel Tower, do you think the French would erect a new structure in its place, or rebuild it?"

The Eifle tower is a public landmark not a commercial office complex, the Port Authority, Larry Silverstein and the real Estate market itself decides what should be built.

The Eifle tower does not have to worry about occupancy rates, rentable floor space etc..

People act as if the World Trade Center is some "National Monument", it was not and never was intended to be a public place. It was a closed off part of the City where commerce could take place, the observation deck and such were added later.

Why not rebuild all the buildings exactly as they were, not just 1 and 2 World Trade Center, but also 3,4,5,6, and 7 Word Trade Center Office Buildings, the mall, the Borders books store, Marriott hotel exactly as they were?.

Because those designs were 30 years old, 30 year old office buildings are not the best looking pieces of architecture. The late 1960s brought many "ugly" buildings, they tore down the GREAT structure that was Pennsylvania Station and built Madison Square Garden and a couple of office buildings which are UGLY!

New Century, new purpose, new design.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

airjampanam

Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:36 am

I actually thought initially we should have rebuilt them ASAP just they way they were.
That just seemed the badass NY/American way to do it.
Even former Mayor Koch said as much, he even went on to say it should be rebuilt even higher.
Now we seem mired in this bureaucratic mess of a fight between warring agencies and the still raw emotions of victims families.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

STT757

Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:01 am

Giulianni wants nothing built there, he wants the whole site to be a Memorial.

The fact is you can't satisfy everyone, some want the exact Towers Rebuilt others want nothing built there.

But 85% of NY'ers approve of the new design, you can't get that many to agree on anything.

http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/14022.htm
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757