Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AvObserver

RE: Clean Vehicle: It Works!

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:56 pm

Thanks for at least qualifying your choice, although we can only accept your word it was at Mount Rushmore. Again, the problem isn't with what you may have had to drive on occasion but with your whole stinking contempt for those who care about conservation. The European posters have undoubtedly been easy on you because they obviously don't take you seriously and there, they may have a point. But unlike your arrogant ass, some Americans do care about how they're perceived in other parts of the world. There's a growing resentment toward American overindulgence and wastefulness. I don't happen to believe that being 'free', means having freedom to act irresponsibly with regard to the rest of the world. You continue to prove with your contemptuous statements you don't give a crap about the rest of the planet, like those SOBs in Car and Driver who demean conservationists as 'tree-huggers'. Jerks like you are a big part of the reason American tourists are sneered at overseas and also part of the reason Al Queda is gunning for us with a vengeance. There are plenty of good reasons to buy vehicles not particularly fuel-efficient but your complete dismissal of the rationale for buying ones that are and of people who would make you an outright idiot. For you to think the world will sail on as it has forever without a care while folks keep buying gas-slurping behemoths is lunacy; there will be a day of reckoning, whether it's 50 years fron now or a hundred. We can't be sure the vaunted hydrogen fuel-cell will step in intime to save us from economic calamity should fuel stocks begin to dry up. Prices will skyrocket as oil becomes harder to find. Who cares if we don't live to see this day, unless you also don't give a s--t about the next generation. Sonny boy, your mom should've slapped you silly as a little kid, had she seen this piss-poor attitude forming. You make me disgusted to be one of your fellow Americans in this forum.  Pissed

BlatantEcho

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:48 pm

I'll agree with everything Av just posted, though the house of Saud will have us on our knees long before anyone runs out of oil.

I hold out hope that when JeffM's generation dies off, the one that replaces it will have more sustainable methods of living in mind, for the good the whole world, not just themselves.

Go hybrids go!

George

L-188

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:57 pm

Guys, Like it or not, oil is becomming more and more valuable as a manufacturing item then as a fuel.

It will end up being phased out before it runs out.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

BlatantEcho

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:35 am

I forgot to debunk the battery theory as well.

The RX400h's drive battery is produced to last the lifetime of the car.

So no, you aren't going to be throwing batteries away ever.

George

L-188

Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:10 pm

Shoot, that is probably because the battery is most of the value of the car.

Kind of the same theory as why the TV repairman industry died, cheaper to get a new one.

JeffM

Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:41 pm

Hey AvO...

News Flash for you bud...

I don't give a rat's ass about what you or anyone else thinks about my "choice" as it were of rental vehicles.. (but you knew that).

I am glad your disgusted. How's life in your little cube? Get out and drive your little battery car up the NJ Turnpike... Enjoy the "fresh" NJ air...

And Echo boy... That little battery powered RX400 is only good for about 7-8 years anyway... so that is a "life time"?? LOL...

DLKAPA

Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:01 pm

Found
On
Redneck
Driveways

I'm happy with my Chevy V8 silverado that is parked in my driveway.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

BlatantEcho

Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:14 pm

Where'd you get the 7-8 years Jeff, just pull another number out of thin air?

Or are we now assuming the luxury Lexus isn't as good as your rented Ford.

George

sebolino
Topic Author

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:27 pm

It will end up being phased out before it runs out

I agree with that. But the oil lobby will fight hard against that trend.

paulc

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:00 am

would drivers in the USA still be so keen to drive the big V8's returning a poor mpg if they had to pay what the UK pays for fuel. (currently around £3.80/gallon - at the current exchage rate =$6.65)

English First, British Second, european Never!

JeffM

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:05 am

Paul,

Are you serious? Seems like a pretty rediculous question. Of course not. But....we don't pay that price.

Georgie,

Consumer Reports man....it's a Toyota in fancy clothes....7-8 years... useable life. Look it up.

captaingomes

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:05 am

Let's just say that you wont be driving any hybrid for 15 years and 300,000 miles, like you could with some other vehicles if they are well maintained. But I'd have to see the price of a new battery. Would it cost more than an automatic transmission? More than other major work that people sometimes do to older vehicles to keep them on the road?
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

BlatantEcho

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:02 am

Jeff-

Are you trying to insinuate the average usable life of a Toyota is 7-8 years?
The most prominent section of the Consumer Reports auto website is a serious recall notice regarding the Ford Focus and faulty fuel lines.

I'd love to know when Toyota's quality went to hell, and how Consumer Reports was able to test 2004 Prius cars 8 years in the future.

Captaingomes says-
"Let's just say that you wont be driving any hybrid for 15 years and 300,000 miles, like you could with some other vehicles if they are well maintained "

According to the manufacrurer, you sure could. Give me something other than you're plain old opinion on why you disagree.

George

JeffM

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:16 am

George,
What in the world does a Ford Focus have to do with this?

And who said Toyota's quality went to hell? I did. My wife had a Camry and a Celica GT. They both were "hangar queens" to put it nicely. I pity the people that bought them when we traded them.

George, why don't you give us something other then your bind lust for one of those little cars.... Do you own one?

BlatantEcho

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:14 pm

Jeff-

You cited Consumer Reports as a source for the mean average of Toyota's being 7-8 years.

I searched the site as much as I could, and found the main headline talking about Ford Focus cars falling apart, no mention of the Prius there.

Then you ask us to consider your wife's two car experience as unbiased evidence of some undocumented decline in Toyota quliaty. Sure. I'll give you a personal experience that dealing with you is painful, is that evidence that you're ignorant.........(ok, maybe your logic DOES work  Laugh out loud)

--------
the claim is made directly from the producer, the hybrid drivetrain battery will last the life of the car. Put up or shut up.

George

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:56 pm

AvObserver: there is a reason why my subscription to Car and Driver lasted only a few issues, while my subscription to Road and Track has lasted about five years! I HATE the attitudes in C&D!

JeffM: Do you have a t-shirt that reads "The Ugly American"? You seem to fit the stereotype quite well.

The very fact that hybrid technology is becoming accepted in North America signals a huge shift in attitudes here. It's refreshing.

I get frustrated at people who say they can't possibly do with less than an SUV or a truck...I have an Integra. I have moved in it twice. I haul all kinds of large stuff in it, including a six foot tall cat tree and a six foot tall bookshelf. How often do I do things like that? Not very often...so the rest of the time, when it's just hauling my butt around Seattle, the small size, excellent performance, and great mileage (30 mpg) is just perfect.
But that was when I ruled the world

JeffM

Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:25 am

Good for you Scarlet...

Maybe you and Georgie should hook up?

Hybrid technology has not even evolved to an acceptable level, let alone be considered "acceptable" through out North America. Well, Canada maybe, but not where I have been.

You guys sure read a lot into a post. I RENTED a V10 Ford, as that is all they HAD.... I have no desire to get 11mpg. I own a little 4 banger SUV that gets almost 30mpg, and two other cars that get more...

I'll trade you my ugly American shirt for your "Foolish Canadian mooching off the U.S." shirt..

Deal?

LOT767-300ER

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 am

" get frustrated at people who say they can't possibly do with less than an SUV or a truck...I have an Integra. I have moved in it twice. I haul all kinds of large stuff in it, including a six foot tall cat tree and a six foot tall bookshelf. How often do I do things like that? Not very often...so the rest of the time, when it's just hauling my butt around Seattle, the small size, excellent performance, and great mileage (30 mpg) is just perfect."

Whens the last time you hauled half a ton of firewood, towed a Sea Ray, Took your family on vacation with bags to Florida, moved 10ft bookshelves, big screen TVs.

AN Integra has excellent performance?, im going to fall out of my chair im laughing so hard. I get excellent performance out of a 5.7L V8 that outputs 425hp, runs the 1/4 in 12.85.

Im not against hybrids, Im against people who force hybrids on others when the hybrids arent yet perfected.

JeffM

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:54 am

Im not against hybrids, Im against people who force hybrids on others when the hybrids arent yet perfected.

Bingo.

Welcome to the "Ugly American" club Pete.

BlatantEcho

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:12 am

there is a difference between me holding a gun to your head to buy a Prius, and me trying to get through your thick skulls about the no tradeoff technological marvel that is the Hybrid Synergy drivetrain.

The praise lauded on this thing is insane. Car & Driver, Road and Track, blah blah blah, ALL name it at least to the 10 Best cars of 2004, most name it #1.

Now, to get off track a bit, I love the quote here by LOT
"Whens the last time you hauled half a ton of firewood, towed a Sea Ray, Took your family on vacation with bags to Florida, moved 10ft bookshelves, big screen TVs."

that says enough about american lifestlye, I guess I should have known from the get go that if it doesn't make you feel like your penis is bigger, it isn't worth having.

George

JeffM

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:50 am

It's a lovely car George.... for certain 'types' of people.

I am not one of them.

America West A

Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:25 am

What about using bio-diesel or other fuels made from soy? Dispite the fact I really don't want my truck running on a plant, I'd rather that then a battery. I agree with JeffM, a V10 is good for your soul! I really like driving my new F-450 diesel, 'love to hear those horses thunder underneath her hood!

L-188

Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:04 pm

Whens the last time you hauled half a ton of firewood

Honestly, now I can since I bought a pickup truck three months ago.

And considering where I live it is a very believable thing for me to do, my brother does that on a routine basis.

Sea Rays are impracticable where I live, give me a Toland Skiff with a 60 Horse Honda outboard.