Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scotty
Topic Author

London 2012 Olympic Bid

Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:55 pm

Details of London's (not Britain's because the Olympics are awarded to cities, not countries) Olympic bid for 2012

If London pays for it, then frankly I dont really care whether they get it or not. But it does nothing for the rest of Britain, and why should it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/olympics_2012/3402819.stm

But I'm not going to pay for it so we need to be clear how it will be funded.

Anyway, Paris will get it.

Filterboy

RE: London 2012 Olympic Bid

Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:10 am

If I remember correctly Londiers are going to pay for it through taxes plus Lottery grants and business donations and sponsorship.

Scotty
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:17 am

Yeah but who buys the Lottery tickets?? Not just Londoners. And if they hadn't made a comlpete a..se of the new Wembley they wouldnt need to build some other athletics stadium in the East End.

Banco

Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:55 am

Trouble is, Scotty, if it's going to be in the UK, it has to be in London. Nowhere else stands a chance. Simple as that, unfortunately.

Besides, I don't think you are in any position to complain about regional subsidies. Barnett formula, anyone?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Scotty
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:07 am

True

But I really dont give a toss whether or not the UK gets it. I'd rather England hosted the World Cup again.

And you know my views on the Barnett formula. Difference with Lottery money is that it is regarded as private sector, not public and the Lottery distribution figures show a definite underspend in certain parts of the UK compared to others, in relation to the so called "good causes".

Anyway, I dont want my taxes to be paid for a London Olympics any more than for a UK Nuclear deterrent which, thanks to the generosity of the UK Government, Scotland has all of and the rest of the UK gets none.

gkirk

Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:18 am

Maybe Brechin should host the 2012 Olympics?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Banco

Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:31 am

Scotty: And you know my views on the Barnett formula.

Yes, fair comment.

Difference with Lottery money is that it is regarded as private sector, not public and the Lottery distribution figures show a definite underspend in certain parts of the UK compared to others, in relation to the so called "good causes".

Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have any evidence I can read through?

gkirk

Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:38 am

Something else here to nibble upon:
Cities outside London to host some events

Fitba could be played at Hampden, Scotty, Banco et al.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Alessandro

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:00 am

I´ll hope for Rio, why? South America never hosted any olympic games, about time I say...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Scotty
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:02 am

Of course I do Banco

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2872539.stm

This illustrates the argument qiute well

Banco

Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:19 am

It doesn't sound that bad, Scotty.

Something to keep an eye on certainly, but not exactly a clear bias.

trident3

Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:35 am

"Anyway, I dont want my taxes to be paid for a London Olympics any more than for a UK Nuclear deterrent which, thanks to the generosity of the UK Government, Scotland has all of and the rest of the UK gets none."
not true , the warheads are built and maintained less than 20 miles from where I live.
If we are going to host the Olympics,it has to be London. But heh even bracknell is getting to host an event, the Mountain biking!
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

[email protected]

Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:11 am

You really think Edinburgh, Machester, Birmingham or some other UK city would stand a chance against not only world class but more famous cities such as Paris, New York and Madrid? Even London doesn't YET have the full infrastructure to host a event of the magnitude of the Olympic games.

Anyway, I dont want my taxes to be paid for a London Olympics any more than for a UK Nuclear deterrent

Why all the bitterness? It's not like London hosting the Olympic games is gonna empty your bank balance is it?
In Arsene we trust!!

Shamrock_747

Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:48 am

I agree with Arsenal, other UK cities wouldn't have a chance against the likes of NYC and Paris. The focus isn't on London all the time - remember the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and the 2003 MTV Europe Awards in Edinburgh.

Scotty
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:15 am

Yeah but only London can host the Olympics.

I suppose what pees me off about it all is the patronising bit about the sell. If this is about London, then its about London and if it gets it, then OK, but if not it doesnt make much difference to the rest of us. But what pees me off is the slimeballs in Government who are trying to justify the bid by trying to stick onto it some fairly unrealistic crumbs of benefits for everywhere else to salve their own political consciences.

If its about London, say it. London deserves it if they get it. But if the Government feel they have to somehhow sell it to the rest of us by spinning all sorts of justifications for benefits everywhere from Shetland to Salcombe, then it cant be all that much worth going for in the first place.

wtf I'm off to the pub. Cheers guys.

Banco

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:24 am

To be honest, Scotty, with things like the football, you couldn't keep it all in London anyway. So, since you have to take it outside, why not spread it across the whole country?

The vast majority will stay in London of course. But I don't see any difference between that, and the French bid being around Paris, or Brazil's around Rio. It has to be concentrated somewhere.

Anyway, it's your own fault for living in the lesser regions...  Big grin

Scotty
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:40 am

Now you're just trying to wind me up!

Big thumbs up

David_itl

Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:58 am

I suppose what pees me off about it all is the patronising bit about the sell.

Exactly. Compare and contrast what's happening now with both Manchester and Birmingham's bids for the Olympics. Hell, certain elements of the press were sure that Manchester couldn't even host a Commonwealth Games let alone the Olympics; one of the joys after the event was Paul Hayward's piece in the Daily Telegraph which had the headline "London, the joke's on you". It was the one downside I was fearing - a successful Games leading to London to acquire "goodwill" by default using the "feel good factor" and so trying to justify them bidding for the Olympics. One of the twits in charge of the IOC decided that Manchester couldn't host an Olympic Games because it didn't have an international airport. Even today, Channel 5 tried to downplay the Commonwealth Games by suggesting they aren't big - thankfully Lord Coe put them right.

Still, I'll enjoy London trying to justify the building of a white elephant when Sport England blackmailed Manchester City Council into finding a tenant for the City of Manchester Stadium or else it wouldn't be a permanent stadium.

Still, the public will get their 1st view of the new athletics track in Manchester when the Olympic trials are held there.

David, giving the London bid all the support they gave the Manchester bid: guess how much.

QANTASforever

Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:41 am

With respect, I don't think London is really built for a modern olympics. It is so crowded, all I seem to hear about it is that public transport is a nightmare and land is scarce. Not to mention that it's already hosted the olympics twice before.

That said I REALLY hope NYC doesn't get it. I mean - the US hosted it in 1996 and then the winter games in 2002. We need to spread em around.

I really hope that Rio gets it - we need to bring the olympics to places that haven't had it before.

There are so many places the games could be hosted that aren't the usual locations - why not Fiji? South Africa? UAE?

Take it from someone who lives in a modern olympics host city - hosting the olympics will have a huge positive impact on your city. If it's a success - you will forever enjoy a grand legacy.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

LFutia

Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:17 am

Damn it... Amsterdam should of been in that bid!

Hope Rio gets it too!

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

Banco

Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:58 am

Qantasforever: Have you been to London? I'm just curious, really.

Anyway, I'd be slightly wary of the British predilection for moaning about their lives being far worse than anyone else's. The tube system, much maligned by Londoners, actually tends to impress visitors no end. Of the main rival bids, New york is hardly the epitome of transport bliss, driving in Paris is a disaster and the Metro not much different to the tube, and Rio is a bit of a nightmare too.

Yes, we complain about the transport, but when put against comparable cities, it isn't actually that bad. Not many cities have an underground of that size, no other city has taxi drivers that have to train for years to know every single street in the city, and the bus network is enormous. As for lack of space, the plan is to redevelop brownfield sites in the East End, that's not an issue at all.

707CMF

Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:25 am

Well, I hope Paris won't get it...

Waay too much of a hassle

707, born in Paris

bmi330

Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:49 am

Its got to be London, most of the venues are world famous and prestige. The infrastructure for the event already exist, and all improvements will be used after the games I think. Also London is not the hardest place to get to from anywhere in the world and being on GMT most of the world can watch the events opposed to it being on jouring the nite. Plus its time the UK had a major sporting event again.

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:34 am

certainly would be wonderful if London gets it...even if it is going to be on the east side... anything for my native Britain

QANTASforever

Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:46 pm

Banco - Yes, many times.

Bmi330 - The infrastructure for the event already exist, and all improvements will be used after the games I think.

Not all of the infrastructure has been built. London is yet to win the games - it would be silly if they started to build things and ended up not hosting it.

Also London is not the hardest place to get to from anywhere in the world and being on GMT most of the world can watch the events opposed to it being on jouring the nite.

Distance and access to a place is subjective to individuals. To some, London may not be easy to get to.

GMT is just one time zone of many. I'm sure things would work out well for people in the UK, Europe and Africa, but for those people in asia and Australia most events would occur for us at night.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

Adam T.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:29 am

A topic about an Olympic bid on airliners.net????? What a pleasant suprise!  Smile

This is another big hobby of mine. Indeed, London has a very good chance of winning the 2012 olympics. It's rumored that the IOC really wants the 2012 olympics in Europe, which was a big reason for awarding the 2010 winter games to Vancouver.

Qantasforever: It would be neat to have the olympics in more exotic places, but Fiji would never work, it's way too small. The city has to have the infastrucutre and be able to handle the large amount of people that an Olympics brings, not to mention a large international airport  Smile.

If any of you guys are interested in in discussing Olympic bids, check out this website I visit on a regular basis in addition to airliners.net :
http://www.gamesbids.com , it's not official or anything, just an olympic bid enthusiast website where we discuss olympic bids and the olympics in general.

Adam

Banco

Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:43 am

Adam T, Fiji might be utterly impractical for an Olympics, but if Qantasforever can guarantee me a ticket, then I'll be backing his idea all the way.  Big grin Big grin

bmi330

Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:45 am

Lets face it London is better to win it than paris or new york its easyer for me to get to and also everythings on at the wright time of day and its also the uk's turn to hold omething big.

bobrayner

Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:45 am

Its got to be London, most of the venues are world famous and prestige.

Perhaps prestigious, but...

Triathlon in the Serpentine?
Archery at Lords?
Beach volleyball on Horseguards?
Is nothing sacred?  Smile
Cunning linguist