Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Nasa Opportunity Rover Touches Down On Mars

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:16 pm

According to CNN, NASA's second of its twin rovers has landed on the Red Planet.

Let's hope this one doesn't suffer from the same technical setbacks as it's twin, Spirit.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/25/mars.rovers/index.html

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

DLKAPA

RE: Nasa Opportunity Rover Touches Down On Mars

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:21 pm

I hope that this one doesn't turn out to be so setback like the other one is. The other one was put into fault/diagnostic mode, so all it can do now is beep in acknowledgement, until they can sort things out with it. Unlike all the media hype, it is still not lost.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

L-188

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:23 pm

So this makes the score of the current Mars exploration push, NASA 2 and ESA 0.  Big thumbs up

But lets lot turn this into that type of thread, I am just being a snot.

Actually impressed me is the photos that Nasa released before and after Spirits arival. You can make out the debris and the impact marks from the arrival.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DLKAPA

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:24 pm

Technically, ESA 0 Nasa 1.5

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

L-188

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:25 pm

Naw, Sprit still counts, we got it down successfully and had it operational.

DLKAPA

Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:39 pm

That would be the .5.

Was operational, now in fault mode so not really working. Once they fix the problem, then it will again go back to 1.

DLKAPA

GDB

Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:55 pm

I'd look at the photos (and data seemingly confirming water at the poles) that Mars Express has already provided before keeping a score!
Not bad for a first attempt.
Sad about Beagle 2, it was always a tough call to design a lander in a short time, on a budget a fraction of what has been spent on the NASA rovers, that had to be added to an already designed orbiter.
(The worst would have been if Beagle had not separated from Mars Express, which would have screwed the main ESA mission).
There will likely be a further Beagle class landers, as the team have made strides in packing miniaturized science instruments into small packages at low cost.
Next time be better to launch several on a dedicated landing mission, it was always a risk relying just on parachutes and airbags, better to include a retro rocket next time.

The worry NASA must have with the 2nd lander is that the same glitches that have hit the first, also hit the second.
So they'd be wise to move slowly on this latest landing, any successful Mars landing is a achievement, anything that follows from that is a bonus.

MITaero

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:44 pm

It's useless to keep score. The future of space exploration will depend on international cooperation. Besides, Mars Express is really producing great results. Congrats to NASA.

L-188

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:46 pm

The future of space exploration will depend on international cooperation.

Didn't you get the memo.

We are there looking for oil.

That is why NASA sabotaged the Beagle, so we can keep it for ourselves  Acting devilish

JAL777

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:43 pm

Actually, its

NASA 2.5, ESA 0

This is our third rover on Mars.

L-188

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:44 pm

Well if we want to go back farther, we probably should be counting the two Viking spacecraft.

So that would make a 5-0 game.

aloges

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:52 pm

"So this makes the score of the current Mars exploration push, NASA 2 and ESA 0.  Big thumbs up

But lets lot turn this into that type of thread, I am just being a snot."

"Well if we want to go back farther, we probably should be counting the two Viking spacecraft.

So that would make a 5-0 game."

I hope you're not really schizophrenic, are you?  Insane
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

airplay

Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:43 am

The fact that the US "scored" the vast majority of its rocket scientists from Europe and Asia sort of waters down the space exploration score but certainly does demonstrate what a diverse society can accompish....

I'm sure I don't have to mention this to most on this thread, but many people don't realize that this truly is an incredible feat.

Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to change the batteries on Pathfinder...

racko

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:18 am

First pictures sent by opportunity:

And the water canyons discovered by Mars Express:

BR715-A1-30

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:32 am

Good point JAL777, Has everyone forgotten SOJOURNER That landed July 4, 1997?
Puhdiddle

L.1011

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:22 am

OK:

Moon Landing:
NASA: 5
ESA: 0
RUSSIA: 0
Moon Orbit:
NASA: 2
RUS: 2
ESA:0
Mars Landing:
NASA: 5
RUS: 0
Mars Orbit:
ESA: 1
RUS: 0
Venus Landing:
NASA: 0
Venus Orbit:

WE WIN!

lol

aloges

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:11 am

L.1011, thanks for shoving it into everyone's face. That's what people love so much about you Americans.  Yeah sure

mt99

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:16 am

Didnt NASA lost something going to Mars becasue they couldn't keep metric and english units straight ?

Step into my office, baby

JAL777

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:16 am

L.1011, thanks for shoving it into everyone's face. That's what people love so much about you Americans.

The truth??? It was a joke dude... lighten up.

Anyway... someone please tell me more about these Russian missions to Venus. Are there pictures??

garnetpalmetto

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:33 am

Yes, there were pictures. Just as the US seemed the most interested in Mars, the Soviets hedged their bets on the other planet closest to us, Venus. Starting in Februray 1961, the first Soviet Venus mission, Venera 1 took off and achieved a Venus flyby. Soon after, the Soviets began a series of Venera missions culminating in 1970 when Venera 7 became the first man-made object to return telemetry from another planet. Following this, the Soviets launched more lander missions, the last of which was Venera 14 which landed in November, 1981. Here's some photos from the various Venera images

South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

aloges

Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:01 am

"It was a joke dude... lighten up."

I probably ought to, but I somehow can't find the funny part of that joke. But the time I'll go ballistic is only when someone says "SOFIA is a great piece of American scientific craftsmanship". But I doubt that'll ever happen.  Big grin

commander_rabb

Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:58 am

Oh it's no joke. No one dominates anything like the U.S. does with it's space program.

The list of success and the amazing feat of going to the moon has astounded many across the world for many years.

BO__einG

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:21 am

This is wonderful news indeed. Look forward to more pictures of Opportunity rover. Apparently the situation with Spirit has gotten better. The rover had been up and running for like 2 straight days rebotting about 130 times and relaying back gibberish. So the guys at the JPL shut down the rover to save energy and also shut down the flash memory on the unit.

That one lander that was lost concerning unit conversions was sometime in 1999. I forget what the name of the lander was called. But all I know is that it was a steriod version of the Pathfinder/Sojourner lander rover.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

L-188

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:18 am

Yes,

It was apparently it was a Standard/Metric conversion problem that caused that loss.

Which is why everybody should stick with standard measures.

Metric is evil.

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:47 pm

This is an amazing achievement for all of mankind.

For those keeping score, and for those hypersensitive folks who get offended, just cut it out. This isn't a competition.

I'm interested in the Venera missions by the Soviets...any links to anymore info and photos?

The good thing about the two rovers, is we now have an idea of what to expect from the design. Lessons learned from Spirit will help Opportunity. Namely, avoiding that glitch that afflicted Spirit. Good news is that Spirit is on the road to recovery.

Some further questions...what do you think happened to the Viking landers and Sojourner after they went dead? Do you think they're buried in Martian sand by now? Same question would apply to the Venera missions. (only obviously without the Martian soil)

DLKAPA

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:33 pm

I can't wait to see somebody win the X-prize, that is true pioneering. Going up and coming back, then doing it again, and all on your own cash. That's where its at.

DLKAPA

garnetpalmetto

Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:39 pm

Y'know, some would argue that those subsidies to the airlines after 9/11 were a waste of taxes. What precisely makes scientific exploration a waste of taxes?

At any rate, more information on the Soviet Venus expeditions can be found at http://www.mentallandscape.com/V_Venus.htm

As for what happened to the Viking landers, I'm fairly certain they're still on the surface and haven't been buried by soil/sand. My guess is that the Venera landers didn't fare as well due to the much higher temps on Venus.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

BO__einG

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:42 pm

Venera landers probably are all crushed up like crumpled paper.
Or 3-5 layers of lava flows must of buried the landers by now.

I heard the Beagle budget was not even close to that of the Spirit and Opportunity. If that is the case then the European Space agency should next time spend more money on these Mars missions so such failures could be prevented either by equipment or human work.

I think it was the Mars Polar Lander that got wrecked cuz of the conversion problems.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

bobrayner

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:29 pm

I heard the Beagle budget was not even close to that of the Spirit and Opportunity. If that is the case then the European Space agency should next time spend more money on these Mars missions so such failures could be prevented either by equipment or human work.

Indeed. Beagle went on a tiny budget (both in terms of money and weight) and was always thought to be something of a gamble. On one hand, it could (and did) fail. On the other hand, if it had worked, it would have been vastly better value for money than a big-budget probe.

After losing a bet, can you really say it wasn't worth making the bet? What if the odds were good?  Big grin
Cunning linguist

garnetpalmetto

Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:42 pm

It was the Mars Climate Orbiter that died on account of a failure to convert units. Mars Polar Lander died because the spacecraft thought it was on the surface when it was still descending, causing it to release its parachute prematurely, I believe.

GDB

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:13 am

Beagle was a late addition to Mars Express, and was largely pushed by one man, Colin Pillinger, (who started out analyzing Moon rocks).
He put together a team and literally bullied ESA, sponsors and the UK government.
In fact the greater part of the cost was sponsorship.
Despite Beagle's loss, this team is now in place to do more and far from being ridiculed, Pillinger has been encouraged to press on with later Beagles.
Even NASA admitted that never had so many science instruments been put on a mission at such little cost and weight.

I'd rate the Soviet Venus landers as amongst the greats of unmanned exploration, considering the very hostile conditions on the surface.

ESA plan to return to Mars, and launch missions to Venus and Mercury.
From 1983 to ISS, ESA provided a kind of orbiting lab for NASA in the form of the Shuttle's Spacelab module.

aloges

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:40 am

"For those keeping score, and for those hypersensitive folks who get offended, just cut it out. This isn't a competition."

Thank God somebody got it. Keeping "score" of those missions is definitely one of the most "erratic" things to do; does anyone really have to stress the fact that all three recent Mars rovers (Sojourner, Spirit and Opportunity) are equipped with scientific instruments from all over the world? The exploration of space is never a thing for just one nation to be "proud" of, it's an endeavour of the entire world.

MITaero

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 am

>Thank God somebody got it. Keeping "score" of those missions is definitely one of the most "erratic" things to do...

I said that in Reply 8  Smile

>Which is why everybody should stick with standard measures.

Trust me, it's way easier to work in metric units (SI).

Klaus

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:18 am

...especially as metric is the standard all over the world and even in the USA when it´s about scientific contexts. The island is shrinking...

commander_rabb

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:40 am

The exploration of space is never a thing for just one nation to be "proud" of, it's an endeavour of the entire world.

Oh? Well, it most certainly is a proud thing for the United States. Moon landing, space shuttle, unmanned probes and landers all have made people in the United States quite proud. And yes, it is done for "all mankind".

When the rest of the world joins us in space, they too will know the feeling of immense pride and joy that the Russians, Americans and now the Chinese have had in launching their own vehicles into space.

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:39 pm

Yes, space exploration is something nations can be proud of, so long as we don't let it get to our heads. Eventually the whole world will be focused on this stuff.

Anywho, what about Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune? I have heard these referred to as the "gas giants" or something. Do these planets have actual rock surfaces that can be landed on? I'm not exactly an astronomy expert here, I'm more interested in the technical stuff...remember, to pull off something like the rovers, you need a healthy mix of both, so don't berate me.  Big grin

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:44 pm

No, the gas giants, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune do not have actual rock surfaces to land on. They are entirely gas (save their cores) and accessing their cores would be nearly impossible due to the great amounts of pressure from their cloud cover. However, NASA has been fairly interested in the Galilean moons of Jupiter for sometime as possibly harboring or being able to harbor life.

zak

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:45 am

a most amazing picture can be seen here fresh from mars:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040126a/MERB_Sol1_Postcard-B002R1.jpg
warning its 15mb large
10=2

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:48 pm

Are there any more Rover missions planned for Mars?

What about the Polar Lander? Will NASA try again on that?

FlySAA

Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:30 am

Further evidence that NASA is altering the true colors of the pictures of Mars:

http://www.libertythink.com/totalinformation/BlueMars.htm

MITaero

Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:58 am

>Further evidence that NASA is altering the true colors of the pictures of Mars

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Not going to waste my time to refute it.

Boeing4ever
Topic Author

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:36 pm

Yeah, NASA wants to alter the colors of its photos to fool the World into believing Mars is red...for what reason?

And Boeing builds commercials jets for the sole purpose of creating chemtrails...so the government can control our thoughts and make us believe in NASA's assertion that Mars has a red sky.  Insane

Conspiracy theories aside, are there any good links to some technical specs on the rovers? Also, same questions in Reply #39.