Topic Author

After 2 Years Are You Happy With The Euro

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:24 pm

Only for Eurocitizen.

Yes.

N6376M

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:28 pm

I don't know why you're limiting this to Eurocitizens. As a frequent visitor to the Euroland, I can tell you that it's a big improvement and advantage not to have to change currency everywhere you go. Now, if we could only get the euro to fall back to $0.87, that would be perfect!

Sabena 690

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:39 pm

Of course!

Instead of all going our own way, we are now making our decisions together.

Also the Euro is a big improvement.

Frederic

f.pier
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:12 pm

Because I wite in another forum and there's one of the writers which says that 89% of Europeans would prefere their old currencies. I need to link this forum to demonstrate that HE'S 100% WRONG!!!!!!!

LHMark

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:26 pm

Well, we hate it. We're forgetting our higher math skills!
signed, Italy.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

teahan

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:27 pm

Absolutely happy with "it".

Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

fritzi

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:29 pm

I am very pleased that we have the Euro. It makes travelling a lot easier.

It just sucks that Sweden doesnt have it...  Pissed

aviaction

RE: After 2 Years Are You Happy With The Euro

Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:54 am

YES, I am. Very much so.

The Euro not only makes travelling easier (and cheaper) ... it really adds the much needed "unity" sense to the entire Euroland, a giant step forward to a European way of thinking.

I just wonder when we will be able to welcome our British neighbour to the Euroclub...

German by nationality, European by heart!

Klaus

Aviaction

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:01 am

Aviaction: I just wonder when we will be able to welcome our British neighbour to the Euroclub...

And deprive us of the opportunity to have our regular Britain/Euro discussions?  Wink/being sarcastic

Well, I´m still quite happy with the Euro.  Big thumbs up

Sabena332

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:08 am

I am happy with the Euro, as a frequent traveler, I especially like that I don't have to change money when I am traveling to most of the other European countries.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

David_itl

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:08 am

My scientific study shows that 100% of Germans do not think in Euros but DMs.

David

Klaus

David_itl

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:12 am

David_itl: My scientific study shows that 100% of Germans do not think in Euros but DMs.

I don´t. That already makes your "scientific study" wrong.

gigneil

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:19 am

I just wonder when we will be able to welcome our British neighbour to the Euroclub..

England knows better.

The Euro has done good for the continental economies, but the Euro will rapidly pull down the UK's higher-performing economy while pulling up the rest of the continent, and they'd like to avoid that.

There's also the fact that the pound Sterling is one of the oldest currencies still in use today.

N

bobrayner

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:38 am

England knows better.

The UK, you mean?  Smile

I'm very happy with the Euro; it's made my life a lot easier. It would be even easier if the UK adopted the Euro, but you can't have everything, can you?
Cunning linguist

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:38 am

While your first own-written paragraph is debatable,

"There's also the fact that the pound Sterling is one of the oldest currencies still in use today."

That has no relevance whatsoever to any UK-€uro entry argument!

I am neither happy nor unhappy with the €uro.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

David_itl

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:16 am

Ah but Klaus, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you hence you were not in my study group! My sample size was just a single person and she spent the whole day she was with me going from £ to € to DM whenever we were in a shop; she's 7 years younger than me, so perhaps a bit more surprising that she is against it.

David

[Edited 2004-01-26 23:17:11]

DaV

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:27 am

I'm very happy with €uros, especially when I travel around Europe.

Me and my friends ruled out London for a day-trip visit in December because of the pound change while we had at disposal other capital without the need to change our euro  Smile

DaV
Two monologues do not make a dialogue

David_itl

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:32 am

DaV, I'm sure there are shops accepting the non-legal tender Euro in London.

David

DaV

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:47 am

And the StanstedExpress? And an occasional Coke in a Mac? It's not the big shops that bother me... they'll accept euro (I think) as in Italy many of them haven't problems accepting dollars (and someone accepts yen too)... it's about the small shops I'm referring to. It's a hassle... for a day or two-day trip I think it's unworthy. This summer, hopefully, I'm planning a 2-week trip to Scotland and Shetland, and I'll change my money, but having a single currency would make it a lot easier, don't you think?

DaV

Klaus

David_itl

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:49 am

David_itl: My sample size was just a single person and she spent the whole day she was with me going from £ to € to DM whenever we were in a shop;

That sort of explains it, indeed...  Wink/being sarcastic

David_itl: she's 7 years younger than me, so perhaps a bit more surprising that she is against it.

The older people actually seem to have more problems with the changeover that the younger ones... But they´ll adapt in due course...  Wink/being sarcastic

You just need to let go, at some point; Then it gets much easier.

aloges

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:06 am

I'm very happy with it! Travelling in Euroland is a blast, whereas that week in London really took some effort to cope with the pound.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

sebolino

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:26 am

The single currency is great. It woule be greater if the Danes and Britons had it.

gkirk

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:37 am

Forget the UK joining the Euro, we enjoy freedom (Even you English, Banco if you read this  Big grin ) .
We'd prefer the $ dollar before the Euro.
We are happy with the pound.
Signed, the UK - Ally of the USA  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:05 am

GKirk wrote:

"We'd prefer the $ dollar before the Euro."

If the point of keeping the Pound is keeping total control of your currency, what is the advantage, hypothetically speaking, in adopting the Dollar? At least with the Euro, Britain will have some influence over it, whereas you wouldn't have that with the Dollar.

"Signed, the UK - Ally of the USA."

Well, virtually all European countries are long-term allies of the US (the only difference is that most of their governments are a bit more critical of Bush's policies), and most of them have adopted or will adopt the Euro, so I don't see how this is relevant.

[Edited 2004-01-27 01:10:06]

gkirk

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:12 am

PHX-LJU: Chill  Big grin
The majority of UK residents prefer the pound.
Although I have experienced using the Euro in Spain, I much prefer using the pound, so I hope that the UK doesnt go Euro.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

zak

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:10 pm

at first it took a year or so to adjust, but now i have stopped calculating to marks in day to day life. only on big spendings i tend to think in mark sometimes to compare stuff.
i love travelling to euro countries. i once even skipped a trip to london because i didnt want to go through the pound hassle. the only thing that really bugs me about the euro is that switzerland(ok understandable) and the uk do not have it yet. being a frequent traveller the euro is really one of the things that practically bring european ppl together. buying just normal groceries in a foreign country with the same currency you use at home is something that gives you a feeling of being somewhat at home in the other country aswell, it has a nice touch to it!
10=2

[email protected]

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:33 pm

The British economy has been growing steadily for the last 12 years, our economy and fiscal performance outperformed every other industrial nations such as Germnay, France, Japan, USA, the only exception being China. The value of the pound is still at a high and holds well against the Euro and Dollar, the pound serves us well. I see absolutely no reason why we should scrap the pound in favour of a "one-size-fit's-all" criteria which currently would be damaging to the British economy. There are very few if not none arguments for joining something we don't need, the reasons for joining are purely political and serve the ambitions of career-minded politicians (READ:Blair). Joining the single currency would certainly appease our friends on the continent, but does no good to Britain's economic health, it's in our interest to stay out as long as the British economy is performing well against other big countries.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix".
In Arsene we trust!!

tokolosh

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:38 am

"England knows better.
The Euro has done good for the continental economies, but the Euro will rapidly pull down the UK's higher-performing economy while pulling up the rest of the continent, and they'd like to avoid that.
There's also the fact that the pound Sterling is one of the oldest currencies still in use today."

Gigneil, if the UK joined the Euro it would probably be good for the UK and for the Euro zone as a whole. Don't forget the UK had a boom-bust economy in the 80s and 90s, out of sync with the rest of Europe, and now is heaping up a lot of debt. Over here (NL) people still tend to calculate things back to Guilders to ascertain prices, but on the whole I don't hear many complaints despite the fact the Guilder was strong and had maybe the nicest design of any bank notes. People were proud of it. Introducing the Euro was a massive project, and it looks like it has been successful. The gripes we hear at the moment are that unscrupulous businesses (especially restaurants, certain shops, etc) exploit the situation to up their prices sometimes by 100%. Things will settle down, and then we can decide on whether it is a good thing. Personally, I would very much like the UK to join. Do you remember the uproar about decimilisation of the Pound way back? Nobody's complaining about that now!

Greetings

Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

paulc

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:43 am

no, no a thousand times no.

The UK does not need the euro to maintain its current strong economic position - more like the euro needs the UK to give credability to a currency which is a political creation.
English First, British Second, european Never!

Sabena 690

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:50 am

Paulc, not talking about the UK joining the Euro or not, I hope you will ever see some more light through your ultra conservative thoughts...

You are a European, point. I don't say that the UK has to join the Euro, I only want to say that the world is bigger than the UK and America only. You are probably still dreaming of 'Britannia rules the waves', anyway: this time is over.

About the UK and the Euro: my dad does quite some business with the UK. When he requests price lists of certain goods, he always demands price lists in €, not in £, to avoid problems like changes in the currency, too much calculator work etc. UK Businessmen know that they have a disadvantage with the £, and know they will need it some day. Blair said a few months ago that (I quote) "the history of the UK is one of missed chances. We can't miss this chance again", and he is right I think.

Frederic

sebolino

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:51 am

Paulc,

The question was "Are you happy with the Euro ?". We already know you don't want it, who cares about that ?

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:03 am

I won't comment on the UK and the Euro (because this thread is not about that) so on a general point I would note that insisting on pricing in a currency different to a home market is not especially new. Lots of companies, whether British, eurozone or Asian price things in dollars, so the advent of the Euro doesn't really make much difference in that regard, except that you might swap from one to the other. In business, working in different currencies happens all the time and is no big deal.

It isn't really an argument in favour or against anything. Just an observation.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Klaus

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:07 am

Banco: In business, working in different currencies happens all the time and is no big deal.

No, it just adds to transaction cost and to administrative complexity. Reasons why even tourists can feel the difference and be happy with the change.  Big thumbs up

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:12 am

Yes, but that's still going to happen to a greater or lesser degree depending on country. And it isn't difficult anymore like it was years ago.

I agree that the advantage for tourists is a given.

My point is that it isn't a major issue one way or the other, that's all.

Anyway, that's me bowing out as I don't live with the Euro and I don't intend to hijack the thread.  Big grin

Klaus

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:32 am

Okay... let´s slouch back to our "home thread" then...  Big grin

[email protected]

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:39 am

You are probably still dreaming of 'Britannia rules the waves', anyway: this time is over.

What does "ruling the waves" have to do with the Euro? We are happy with the pound and see no need for the euro, that's not hard to understand. You haven't given us any creadible reasons for joining the euro apart from your gripes that you have to change into sterling on your annual holiday to London. And what 'time' is over may i ask?

Blair said a few months ago that (I quote) "the history of the UK is one of missed chances. We can't miss this chance again", and he is right I think.

Do you know what Blair said as an MP in 1983?

Qoute:
"This is our oppurtunity to find a way of pulling out of the EC and determine our own future"

What a U-turn!

In Arsene we trust!!

csavel

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:57 am

Question for the Eurozoners.

Will the new Eastern bloc countries join the Euro as well or are their economies not ready for it? If so, that is bound to have an effect on the Euro.

I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

aloges

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:01 am

They will join the "Eurozone" when they're ready for it. Depending on the country, they have a shorter (Slovenia) or longer (Romania) way to go.

f.pier
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:28 am

As specified, I wasn't interested in opinions of uk citizans. I don't care if you like € or if you don't. I only don't want you to join the €, that's it.

For the other Europeans: I'm very happy to see you like Euro and I think this is the best reply to people who say the opposite.

I'm really happy to share the currency with my European friends!!!!!!!

I hope the process of integration will continue, despite people like Berlusconi & C.

Thank you mates, you made me happy!!!!

Smile

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:32 am

You seem to have a real problem with the British, F.Pier. Why?

f.pier
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:38 am

I like the UK, I often go there, but when I go to Germany, France, Belgium, etc. I feel at home, when I'm in London I feel to be in a foreign country.

I'm angry with Britons because they chose to enter the EU even if they knew they would have been a serious brake for the EU integration. I'm sure they did it on purpose.

I think the UK entered the EU beacuse the USA asked them to enter, to have the US hand in EU business.

That's why I have problems with the UK. I respect your opinions, but if you eanted to stay independent, you shouldn't have entered the EU, I think it was a dishonest act.

Now you know the reason of my uk problem.

By the way I am absolutely happy to realize how my European brothers are happy to be EUropean, to cooperate, to become stronger together.

THE EUROPEAN UNION, MY COUNTRY

Klaus

F.pier

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:42 am

Come on; Ease up on the paranoia!

I actually believe they just can´t decide (again!).  Wink/being sarcastic
They know it would be good for them, but they just can´t stare reality right in the face, you know...
(Just teasing; Don´t get up from your couch! Big grin)

[Edited 2004-01-27 19:44:22]

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:49 am

I like the UK, I often go there, but when I go to Germany, France, Belgium, etc. I feel at home, when I'm in London I feel to be in a foreign country.

Um. It is a foreign country.

I'm angry with Britons because they chose to enter the EU even if they knew they would have been a serious brake for the EU integration. I'm sure they did it on purpose.

On the contrary. We're angry because we were lied to by our Prime Minister who told us that it wouldn't affect our sovereignty.

I think the UK entered the EU beacuse the USA asked them to enter, to have the US hand in EU business.

Please tell me you're joking.

aloges

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:54 am

"On the contrary. We're angry because we were lied to by our Prime Minister who told us that it wouldn't affect our sovereignty."

And "you" believed that?!?  Laugh out loud That does take something!  Big grin

Klaus

Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:01 am

By the way: Every country´s sovereignty is being limited by external factors anyway - whether you want it or not!

The difference is that within the EU and the € zone at least some of those factors can be influenced again while they would remain out of reach otherwise.

And no, Britain is not a "foreign" country in that sense; It´s a neighbour; Practically part of the family (wait - the Windsors even are family!  Big thumbs up Sorry, couldn´t help to rub that in again! Big grin).

Banco

Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:07 am

I was a mere baby Aloges - not personally guilty!  Big grin

But yes, that's pretty much how it was sold to us. The thing is, in this country we still have the government telling us pretty much the same thing, and that a federal Europe just won't happen. It's silly. I've said before that what we need is a propoer debate on the merits and de-merits of the way the EU is going, and whatever the outcome is, at least we can then go forward. At the moment they just won't tell us the truth, and that, I suspect is why there is such hostility to the EU: many people feel they are being tricked, when of course the rest of Europe is completely open and up front about it.

It's the British government's (past and present) fault, no doubt about it.

aloges

Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:25 am

"I've said before that what we need is a propoer debate on the merits and de-merits of the way the EU is going, and whatever the outcome is, at least we can then go forward."

Oh yes, I do remember those!

However, I'm getting your point.

Many laws and treaties that are fundamental to the EU would certainly not have been approved by the German public, but have been signed by German politicians because they thought those treaties were just and necessary. The results of that are to be judged by everyone him/herself; however, adaption to them does a fair bit to change that judgement into a positive one. Just take the €uro or the Schengen treaties as an example. Bit by bit, people recognize how increased commonality and flexibility can benefit them, and think to themselves "Well, it's not like sovereignty is as important as a beating heart anyway."

Looking at the United Kingdom, we see a quite unique scenario: democracy, albeit in the form of a constitutional monarchy, has a very long history in that country. Many people are not too keen of the idea of politicians deciding what's good for them, they're used to having decided that mostly by themselves for centuries: "Don't like Cromwell? Well, we can make him one head shorter, can't we?"
On the other hand, sovereignty is a thing of which many Britons are proud of: "Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves! Britons never, never, never shall be slaves!" Enough said?

Nobody should think it can be as easy to convince the British public of the benefits of federalism as it was convincing the French, Germans and Italians. We've been messing around with borders and sovereignty all the time, unlike the Britons.

DaV

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:04 am

Actually, there some reality in the fact that UK was forced to join EU in the '70 by the US. It was because there were two "zone" of commercial exchange: the European Community on a side and the UK (with the Scandinavian countries) on the other. As it was causing major hassles to the integration between the economies of the two pond of the ocean, the US put a bigger pressure over UK and France to collaborate, which eventually lead to the admission of the UK to the EC. Sorry of being so imprecise and generic but I'm going out right now and I can't retrieve all the information in a few minutes. If you're interested I'll try tomorrow to take a deeper look at my books and be more precise (names, dates, facts). Anyway I have to learn them for my exam in April Big grin

DaV

teva

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:07 am

I am very pleased with the Euro. It makes my life much easier
And I hope other European join it quickly
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

racko

Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:40 am

I'm happy with the Euro, and I'm only converting when I make big purchases.