Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airways1
Topic Author

Need Language Help (Spanish)

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:31 am

I am trying to write a letter to Ecuato Guineana de Aviación requesting a couple of copies of their timetable.

The web translator gives me:

Señor o señora querido,
Por favor podría usted enviarme dos copias del horario de Ecuato Guineana de Aviación a la dirección arriba. He incluido algunas cupones de contestación internacionales que se pueden intercambiar en un correos para cubrir el coste de franqueo.
Gracias mucho.
Sinceramente,

The original text was:

Please could you send me two copies of the Ecuato Guineana de Aviación timetable to the address above. I have enclosed some International Reply Coupons which can be exchanged at a post office to cover the cost of postage.

Please could someone correct any mistakes in the Spanish version so it is correct and sounds sensible.

Thanks!

airways1

rojo

RE: Need Language Help (Spanish)

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:50 am

Estimados Señores:

Serian tan amables de enviarme dos copias del "Itinerario" de Guinea Ecuatorial de Aviacion a la dirección que se encuentra en la parte superior de esta carta. Adjunto encontrarán algunos cupones de respuesta internacional los cuales podrán intercambier en las oficinas de correos por estampillas postales para cubrir el costo del envío.

De antemano Gracias

A t e n t a m e n t e

------

By the way, what is an international reply coupon??

Lan_Fanatic

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:51 am

First of all...Ecuato Guineana de Aviación? Wouldn't it be Ecuatoriana de Aviación"?

Well
I'll try to help with the spanish:

Estimado Sr./Sra.

¿Podría por favor usted enviarme dos copias del horario de "Ecuato Guineana" a la dirección que aparece arriba?
He incluído algunos "International Reply Coupons"(I have no idea how to translate exactly that but maybe they can understand what the web translator said) que son intercambiables en una oficina de correos para cubrir el costo de franqueo.
Muchas gracias

Atentamente...

---I think that could help you a bit.

airways1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:54 am

Hi Rojo! Thanks for the translation.

An International Reply Coupon is something you can buy at your local post-office. It can be then be exchanged in a forreign country in a post office for the cost of return postage, so the person replying doesn't have to pay. Click here

airways1

airways1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:00 am

Hello Lan_Fanatic! Thanks.

Actually it is Ecuato Guineana de Aviacion:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ariel Shocron

airways1

Lan_Fanatic

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:05 am

Oh...I see...it's from Ecuatorial Guinea!

And by the way....since mexicans speak much better than chileans, you should try the translation Rojo did. Mine sucks.

rojo

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:17 am

Airways1:

Interesting to know about the International Reply Coupon, I didn't know something like this existed... I might need some.
Can we buy them at any Royal Mail branch in the UK??

----------

Lan_Fanatic:

Come on, it is not that Mexicans speak better spanish than Chileans... the reality is that I read so many letters in my previous job, that I got used to the way they wrote them. But people can even come with a better translation or a different one.

airways1
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:20 am

Rojo, you should be able to buy them at any post office of any participating country, which is most of them. Yes, I got mine in the UK, but I'm sure they are available in Mexico and most other countries also.

airways1

rojo

Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:15 am

Airways1:

Thanks, I will have to buy them in the Royal Mail since I live in the UK... although it will be interesting to see if they sell them in Mexco and how they sell them.

ussherd

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:55 am

Would it be OK to start the letter with... "tengan la bondad de enviarme..." Professionally, I've always worked in English and wondered if that way of saying it is bit old fashioned?
Cada loco con su tema...