Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b757300
Topic Author

France Bans British Vets From D-Day Remembrances

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:23 am

D-DAY BANDINGS
Feb 8 2004
Exclusive By Rupert Hamer

BRITISH war veterans are to be banned from this year's Normandy D-Day landings 60th anniversary tribute - because the French claim they could damage the beaches.

Elderly ex-soldiers have been told numbers are going to be limited because of "health and safety issues", including possible harm to the environment and problems with disabled access and public toilets. The snub has enraged up to 3,000 veterans preparing to make the emotional trip to the beaches where they fought the Germans to help liberate France in 1944.

Tory home security spokesman Patrick Mercer, a former army colonel, said: "It's a good job that the French didn't restrict which beaches our men could go on in 1944 because if they had then the French would still be under Nazi rule." Mr Mercer, whose father fought in World War II, added: "If our boys had been worried about such things as health and safety during D-Day, then France would never have been liberated. Some recognition of this from the French would be nice."

Veterans have been further angered by the insistence that they are only allowed access to the beaches if they wear security passes and photo ID cards. Survivors without a badge will be denied entry to events, the beaches they liberated and even a British march-past due to be attended by the Queen.

Now officials from the Ministry of Defence have begun their own war of words in a desperate attempt to get the French to change their minds.

Last night a senior MoD insider said: "The French have gone too far and this will be made clear to them. Many veterans are becoming distressed. To be treated like this on the very beaches they liberated is insulting."

Veterans from across Britain have spent months preparing for the emotional pilgrimage to the beaches. Because of their age, for many the trip to Northern France could be the last time they stand on the former battlefields to remember fallen comrades.

They will find out this week how the French have limited numbers and how many places are available.

The event is also dogged by fears of a possible terrorist strike, as the commemorations will be attended by Tony Blair, French President Jacques Chirac and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder.

The source said: "The French are asking for frail and elderly veterans to sort out individual security passes for themselves - that is enough to put off old soldiers in their droves.

"And the number allowed at some events and areas of the beaches is going to be restricted for what the French describe as health and safety reasons.

"The feeling in the MoD is that what is being asked of these men by the French is too much and they should be shown a great deal more respect."

Last night an MoD spokesman said there would be discussions with the French to address the issue of security passes and other restrictions. The talks will will take place in the city of Caen - which was bombed flat by the British as they advanced in 1944.

Joe Sibun, 84, who landed on Gold Beach in Normandy on D-Day, said: "I think it is just a case of somebody sitting in an office in France who has decided to be bloody awkward.

"I do not see any good reason for this kind of red tape."

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/content_objectid=13928696_method=full_siteid=106694_headline=-D-DAY-BANDINGS-name_page.html

(I'd put it as an active link but for some reason when I add the <> it gives some goofy result and creates a useless link.)
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

yanksn4

RE: France Bans British Vets From D-Day Remembrances

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:30 am

Another showing of the French Government of how much they don't like the Americans and British for saving their butts in World War II.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

777236ER

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:36 am

Ah, a Sunday Mirror exclusive with no given sources. Only "MoD insiders".

Any actual evidence?
Your bone's got a little machine

707CMF

RE: France Bans British Vets From D-Day Remembranc

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:41 am

Ah, a Sunday Mirror exclusive with no given sources. Only "MoD insiders".

Any actual evidence?

Careful, 777, another statement like this one, and you're hitting my respected users list !

777236ER

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:44 am

The truth:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3456115.stm

Don't you hate being wrong B757300? Shame that the French-bashing will have to wait for a bit longer.
Your bone's got a little machine

Banco

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:46 am

I would second the querying of the source. The Mirror is a tabloid and a pretty downmarket one at that.

Quite frequently, events like this have problems whereby someone puts in place a bureaucracy without taking into account the difficulties it might cause. The normal outcome is that it is talked over and the problems smoothed out. However, it is in the interests of a good scare story to get in before this happens and shout "shock horror".

I don't doubt for a second that the last thing the French would wish to do is to offend the veterans.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

AOMlover

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:00 am

Yanksn4, what you wrote is a proof of your ignorance about France. We're not that stupid.
I lived 3 years in Normandy when I was a child. I know the feeling you have when you're in a cemetery with thousands of graves. Of course the French haven't forgotten what the USA/UK did for us during WWII.
B757 300, your article is an article from a tabloïd, which means it's just shit.
Next time check the BBC before the Sunday mirror.
About this issue, I hope all the veterans who want to come to the beaches where they fought will be able to come here as they wish, if not it'd be a big shame, and I'm sure the French and the British governments will find out a good solution. Anyway in no way the title of this post should be "France Bans British Vets From D-Day Remembrances". No one wants to ban them.
As Banco said, bureaucracy strikes everywhere unfortunately, but I'm 100% sure a good solution that'll fit everyone's wish will be sorted out very soon.

[Edited 2004-02-08 22:02:02]

SlamClick

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:10 am

Hello Mods

Perhaps the title of this thread could be changed. It got me worked up before I read the truth.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

aloges

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:41 am

Wow, and I thought some people didn't believe everything...
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

pacificjourney

Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:23 am

Threads like this are ruining this place !

Where is B757300 to say sorry, or even delete thread ? I mean he usually has so much to say about everything, but suddenly silence ...

Yanksn4, how about you ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

yanksn4

Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:33 am

Sorry for what? The French trying to make the United States of America look like the world's most evil nation and making Saddam Hussein look good? Gee, if I have to apologize for that, what's next?
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Klaus

Yanksn4

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:13 am

Okay, your age explains why you´re not man enough to apologize gracefully.  Insane
Although some your age would still know what to do.

bobrayner

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:16 am

Sorry for what? The French trying to make the United States of America look like the world's most evil nation and making Saddam Hussein look good? Gee, if I have to apologize for that, what's next?

What's next? You could calm down a little, put down the strawman, and try to say something factual.
Cunning linguist

Leezyjet

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:40 am

The title got me all worked up too, I was just about to launch into scathing attack mode until I read the BBC report.

I guess what they are meaning is that for access to the area's where all the official ceremonies will take place with the VIP's etc. then they will need a security pass, which is understandable but I'm sure there will be plenty of other area's outside of the official events where they will be able to go without having a pass, there are a fair number of beaches afterall and I'm sure that the VIP's won't be at all of them. The restricted numbers probably also refers to the amount of people they can let into the 'official' site too, but outside these areas then I'm sure that anybody who want's to go will be allowed.

Just my 2p's worth.

Smile

"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Qb001

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:11 am

So, our right-wing friend B757300, always on the lookout for anything that makes France look bad, will not hesitate to go as low as reading the infamous British tabloids.

And I thought you were at least partly rigorous B757300.

I agree. This pitiful attempt to trash France, based on a story full of hot air, does command an apology.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

tbar220

Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:45 am

Funny how you've dissapeared from this thread B757, you lose a lot of credibility by posting an article from a tabloid, and then not saying anything or perhaps admitting that your source was a bad one.
NO URLS in signature

Andreas

Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:37 pm

Well some people here posted crap from Frontpagemag and called it a valid Source, and never excused themselves...probably because they still believe this...why would such people ever learn???

Disgusting!!

...oh and Mods...NO, please do not delete this thread, but maybe you could add to the topic, that one member wrongfully accuses France.....and so on.
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

pacificjourney

Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:50 pm

You people should all be ashamed. B757300's superior intellect and education makes it obvious he is never wrong, therefore never needs to say sorry.

Stop asking him to comment, so far this thread is wanker-free, let's keep it that way !

Yanksn4 try working things out for yourself and THEN commenting. You will look less stupid that way.

" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

TriStar500

Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:20 pm

I guess a tabloid is the only kind of paper the intellectual capability of a certain member can comprehend. Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

sebolino

Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:30 pm

He said the British government was not doing enough to help its veterans meet the requirements for photo identification.
He said: "The French government have put thousands of pounds into it but our government are still dragging their feet. "They couldn't care less as long as we got rid of Hitler when we did."

It sounds different from what B757300 wrote, doesn't it ?

I wonder how much time Murdoch and the other France-bashers will continue puking their hatred against France like that.

gkirk

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:32 pm

Ok, seems the thread title is wrong.
However, is it true that France is going to ban Red Bull because of the high caffeine level? Read that in the Sun newspaper.

Regarding newspapers like the Independent, Guardian etc. Only posh people read those. Normal people read papers like the Sun, Mirror, Daily Record etc  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Andreas

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:38 pm

Ah yes, my dear Kirkie...and subsequently, those fu..ing tabloids are always right, and if not, they are right anyway...or how shall I interpret this funny analogy of yours?

The fact, that AMERICANS here on this forum are bashing France, because the French want to increase safety by ordering pic identification, comes across as total grotesque!!! Do some of you morons turn on the brain before posting? Is there something to turn on...?

gkirk

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:41 pm

Andreas: Wheesht Big grin The tabloids are always right  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Andreas

Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:48 pm

O yeah....? Hmmm.....  Big grin  Big thumbs up

Sabena 690

Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:16 pm

How far are we going that the likes of B757300 and other blind extremists even quote and believe what is written in a stupid tabloid just to prove their points that are wrong anyway! Big grin

The fact, that AMERICANS here on this forum are bashing France, because the French want to increase safety by ordering pic identification, comes across as total grotesque!!! Do some of you morons turn on the brain before posting? Is there something to turn on...?

ROFLMAO!  Big thumbs up

sebolino

Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:09 pm

B757300,

If there's a naked girl on page 3 of your newspaper, you can be sure the informations in the other pages are at the minimum not verified, and probably totally invented.  Smile  Smile

Qb001

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:17 am

Sebolino,

You mean that everything I've read in Playboy is not true?????
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

SlamClick

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:23 am

I am very disappointed in the moderators.

The title of this thread contains a false, and inflammatory assertion. The moderators are now guilty of flame-baiting.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

sebolino

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:24 am

You mean that everything I've read in Playboy is not true

I'm sure you don't read the text in Playboy.

And I'm also quite sure you don't buy Playboy, but Penthouse, that's a lot funnier.  Smile

AOMlover

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:45 am

Right Gkirk, Red Bull is banned here in France lol
I've been in Austria in December and there a classmate drank a Red Bull...
She turned completely dumb and she didn't sleep during 3 days lol

copper1

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:51 am

Hey, don't forget about the Canadians, we had our own beach on D-Day. Everyone always forgets the Canadian contribution during the invasion of occupied Europe. If you are in France in the Normandy area, visit the newly opened Canadian War Museum, the Juno Beach Center.

Percentage wise, there were more Canadians in uniform during WWII than either the British or the Americans.

Jeff

MD11Engineer

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:36 pm

Most Dutch didn´t forget the Canadians, they are immensely popular over there. I know, because, even though being German, am a member of a Dutch living history group depicting the Canadian Queen´s Own Rifles.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Russophile

Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:37 pm

This is quite a funny thread for all the wrong reasons.

But cmon people -- did any of you actually believe it? Did anyone of you (757300) actually think that a newspaper which prints such rubbish is to be believed? Do you don't actually believe that the article made it to an editor's office for proofreading, do you?

Just curious, because when the article is entitled "D-DAY BANDINGS" instead of "D-DAY BANNINGS, it does make it a tad bit hard to even begin to take seriously.

Alpha 1

Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:14 am

I've been waiting to chime in on this one.  Big grin

B757300, you could have had the grace to come on here and admit your error, but now the record stands: you're not interested in the truth, just interested in bashing the French simply because they're the French, even when the story you posted wasn't close to the truth.

I guess old habits die hard.

aloges

Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:51 am

"I guess old habits die hard."

Nicely put! This is why we wont see him in here anymore, "An error? ME??!?"
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.