Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CON207
Topic Author

Harry Potter. Harmless Or Harmful

Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:48 am

Yes someone had to start this and I admit I have read ALL the books. The fifth one I read in one day! Here in the good old UK all the Potter fans eagerly await the third film " Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban (unless you have a pirate copy on VHS or DVD ).

Of course religious groups denounce it as dabbling in the occult and it encourages witchcraft. Maybe it does deal with it to an extent and glamorously it. Yet the author J K Rowling is a multi-millionairess . She has given hours of pleasure to children all over the world with these books and the BIG KIDS as well, yes ok adults .

To turn them into big film hits also takes a lot of hard work. The general plot is a fight of good versus evil using magic to accomplish the victory. It is entirely the readers decision if it portrays a wrong message or not. Most people agree its just fantasy but exciting and that is what it should be viewed as... FICTION.. But with an epic tale of good triumphing over evil.
What's your opinion?  Nuts

[Edited 2004-02-16 21:51:27]
Being ill sucks. Never take life for granted!!

cfalk

RE: Harry Potter. Harmless Or Harmful

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:03 am

I'm a big fan too, even though I'm just a muggle.

I think the accusations are silly. The stories are obviously such a huge leap into fantasy that I don't see how any kid beyond the age of three could possibly confuse it with real life. Also, the core of the story is good versus evil, not magic versus non-magic. The books show the value of friendship, faith, family, loyalty, wisdom, etc.

It's good, clean, fantasy/fun. What's wrong with fantasy? Lord of the Rings is Fantasy too, with a lot of magic etc, and I don't see people getting upset there.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

skytrain

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:19 am

'nuff said. Well put Cfalk.  Big thumbs up

Cheers - Skytrain.

airways1

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:24 am

It's less harmful for sure than most religious texts. I've not heard of any wars, etc. fought in the name of Harry Potter.

airways1

high_flyr69

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:54 am

Harry Potter is harmless. Just an over the top movie to stimulate a kid for a couple of hours. i read one book but ill stick to the movies.

RELIGION IS NOT LAW!!!!!!!!!
what your religion belives is right and ethical is only so in your religous community. So, stop all your bitching and deal with it!, instead of hogging the headlines with your pathetic excuses to complain about everything.

I feel better now.
cheers
high_flyr69
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find the shot gun

Jkw777

Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:56 am

I have no interest in Harry Potter what so ever  Big thumbs up
[email protected] or +447751242989

tbar220

Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:54 am

Well if Harry Potter is evil and harmful towards kids, then the great fantasy trilogy Lord of the Rings must be the devil itself. Lord forbid people (kids and adults) use their imagination.
NO URLS in signature

Klaus

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:05 am

The invented world is really a great creation with all its details... but the "magic" part of it is decidedly non-occultist, almost non-magical in its matter-of-fact presentation.

Some of the critics definitely need to get a life - preferably in the real world!  Big thumbs up

pilot kaz

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:52 am

yes i also admit i am a fan also,

it is in no way harmfull, in anyway it inspires kids (and big kids), it has a good storyline and also makes you use your imagination which deffinently inspires kids,
i myself have read all the books and cant wait for the POA film!

honestly u aint gonna walk down the street and see a 12 year old kid vandalising HP RULEZ or sumthing are you?

High_flyr69,
RELIGION IS NOT LAW!!!!!!!!!
what your religion belives is right and ethical is only so in your religous community. So, stop all your bitching and deal with it!, instead of hogging the headlines with your pathetic excuses to complain about everything.

i totaly agree

regards....
p.kaz
-

trekster

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:09 am

CON, did u do nothing but read that last book if u did it in a day.

It took me 3 and i was reading it every spare min i had.

I was the first person in grantham to get a copy at 7am and read it as much as i could.

U must be a VERY fast reader
Where does the time go???

Espion007

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:12 am

harry potter noun 1.A piece of crap book that is used to brainwash young kids into buying the next book for no good f**king reason so major corporations and JK can earn money.2. A movie based on the best selling books which is used to earn money off the destroyed minds of america's youth even though everyone who sees it either knows the whole storyline and who has no reason to see the god damn movie,or is there to drive the destroyed minds of america's youth even though everyone who sees it either knows the whole storyline and who has no reason to see the god damn movie to the theater.3. see "queer"
Snakes on a Plane!

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:17 am

You talk about Harry Potter brainwashing young kids, but isn't teaching them how to read and enjoy literature better than plonking them in front of the TV?

How does it "destroy the minds of American youth"? I think you're confusing Harry Potter with crack.

And calling a book "queer" says more about you than the book.
Your bone's got a little machine

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:20 am

Hairy Plotter?

Isn't that Osama bin Laden's alias?

God bless,

- Jeff

pilot kaz

Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:41 am

Espion007,

if you dont like it why comment?
this is talking about the issues that have been bought up about harry potter not on how crap you think it is,

regards
p.kaz
-

maiznblu_757

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:18 am

Hey KROC, remember the ruckus I caused witht his one, umm, back in 2001? lol!

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:49 am

I'm probably among the more religious people on this website, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with Harry Potter. Personally, I'm more of a Lord of the Rings type of guy, but I certainly wouldn't prevent someone from following the Potter way.

-Normal

trekster

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:28 pm

Espion007,

What is the point of ever goin to the Cinema again if u use those views.

Most major films out at the moment have been books, or TV series so u know the people,and the plots.

Harry Potter has made so many kids that normally just go home sit in front of the T.V and computer, and never do anything good for themselves, go home and read, which u do not really get these days in the world of PS2's, the internet and Sky TV.

When i was young i was (i cant spell it) i could not read, but after 2 years of help at school i was above my reading age.

This type of book gets the kid interested and wanting to read more.

Then u get the chance of seeing all what u thought was going on in the book on the big screen which is a great way to get kids to use there imagination.

(The Quiditch match was better then i thought)

(oh and i see u have not responded to any of the comments here)

[Edited 2004-02-17 12:51:02]

pilot kaz

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:40 am

Trekster,

i totaly agree with u

p.kaz
-

Banco

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:53 am

The argument that it is harmful is too pathetic for words.

The Harry Potter books have had the wonderful effect of encouraging kids to read. That is quite marvellous in today's society.

The only thing I find peculiar is how many adults also read them. I've got a couple of friends who love it. I've tried suggesting more mature reading material, but they're having nonne of it. I even suggested that they pick up a Terry Pratchett book, which might be fantasy but is so obviously allegorical in nature, not to mention acerbic, satirical, highly political and very funny, but they seem much happier reading a book for children.

She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ctbarnes

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:23 am

Hmmmm.... I wonder how many people who decry Harry Potter as harmful have actually read the books?

Charles, SJ
(Read all 5 books and can't wait for the next picture to be released this Summer)
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

Klaus

Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:52 am

While we´re at it, Robert Asprin would also be highly recommendable!  Big thumbs up

707CMF

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:14 am

Okay, as a religious right winger (seriously, no kidding), I am actually a big fan of Harry Potter (Heck, I am a hairy spotter myself).

Have read the 5 books, seen both movies (and bought the DVDs, guilty of falling in the merch trap...).
I know some of the zealots against HP. No, they haven't even read the books.

I've had a discussion about it with my local priest a few weeks ago, he just laughed and told me that if HP was evil, then all the fairy tales were too... (why don't we have more priests like him ?)

As for Lord of the Ring (someone mentionned it above) catholics right wingers like me might be interrested in the fact that Tolkien was himself a Catholic right winger, and that he incorporated a lot of Catholic Doctrine into those books (which does not make them readable for me, I find them waay too boring).

Anyway, more seriously, has anyone read Barry Trotter ?

trekster

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:22 am

I have seen the Barry Trotter books in the Book shop, but not brought them yet.

I have all the dvd's and books, and am buying a new set with the adult covers and giving the other ones too my 2 year old nephew so he can be in on the Potter world.

Russophile

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:29 pm

Lord of the Rings is Fantasy too, with a lot of magic etc, and I don't see people getting upset there.

Didn't you hear of the group of 'concerned' Americans who were lobbying for the movies makers to change the name of the 2nd movie because of the Two Towers title and that called it the Two Towers cheapened the memory of the victims of 11-9-2001 and that it would cause distress to have this title being publicised. What I found most laughable about this group is that they called themselves the Two Towers Protest Organisation -- if that isn't cheapening the memory of people, I don't know what is.

Other laughable things is that they accused the movies makers of hate speech.......

http://www.nicedoggie.net/archives/000858.html

There are some mega dimwitted morons out there -- and I am sure there were some with the H.P. books/movies also.