Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

copper1
Topic Author

Ever Been Taken Down At Gunpoint?

Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:40 am

I am putting together a lesson plan and am looking for experiences of any members who may have been taken down at gunpoint by the police. What were the circumstances, were you by yourself, was a motor vehicle involved etc ? The idea is to use real life experiences to educate people.

If you feel a need to criticise the Police that is fine too. I will not use names, only your experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Ever Been Taken Down At Gunpoint?

Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:42 am

No, I have never been taken down at gunpoint.

Good luck on your research.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

MD11Engineer

Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:15 am

I´ve been searched at gunpoint both in Spain and the Philippines.
In Spain it happened at a road block during an ETA terrorist scare, and since Etarras make a habit on opening fire on Spanish police the guys were quite nervous and had their fingers on the trigger of their Star MPs. I understood this and moved really slow, told the officers that I had to get into the inside pocket of my leather jacket to get my passport and took it out using thumb and index finger only, visibly spreading the other fingers to prevent missunderstandings. After they checked my passport and my nationality they became quite friendly and one actually started chatting with me in German.

The event in the Philippines happened during the Ati-Atihan festival in the provincial city of Iloilo. I was staying with my ex-brother-in-law outside the town. There was a road block of the paramilitary PNP (Philippine National Police) on the highway into the city, searching for drugs and guns. I approached it on the motorbike I had borrowed from my ex-brother-in-law. Because I got sunburned quite badly a few days before I was wearing a long sleeved jacket. Theystopped me and while one of the officers checked my passport and gave me a quick patt-down another one covered me with his M-16. I stood still and no problems issued. They also clearly recognised me as a foreign tourist. Later the same weekend I was having a beer in a night club and suddenly the lights went on. Three police officers entered the room, one stayed at the door with his hand on the gun, and the other two went around the tables, obviously talking to old "aquaintances". They didn´t come to me though, same as I was sticking out as the only foreigner ( Ililo City is not very touristy). Later somebody told me they were looking for drug dealers.

Since the incidents two years ago (see my post on the zwo killed Detroit police officers) police officers in Germany have become more careful as well. They only patrol as a pair and wear ballistic protective vests. Unlike the 70´s, when they were urged to hide their guns as for PC reasons, today they cover each other. Unless they are being called to a burglary or robbing, with the perp still around, they don´t pull their guns, but one has his hand on the gun, ready to draw. On large scale road blocks or spot checks, they usualy have a few officers standing guard with submachine guns. Whenever I come into such a situation I stay calm and cooperate, moving slowly. I don´t want to get shot by accident.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

coboeing777

Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Hey, how about stories about the stupid things people do to get those guns drawn on them...? I can tell a few of those...

Joe

cancidas

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:13 pm

i have in several situations, and i have done that in several situations. i don't feel the need to share them in these forums but if you email me i will gladly help you out as best i can.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

MxCtrlr

Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:27 pm

Not by the police but I was taken down 3 times in 6 weeks as an assistant manager of McDonald's (waaaaaay back when I was a teenager - a long, long, LOOONG time ago in a galaxy far, far away) by robbers. Does that count?

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

B747-437B

Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:27 pm

One incident comes to mind from back in my days working for the police department. I had just come off a night shift and was heading off to India for a while, so for some reason I threw my uniform jacket into my carryon bag forgetting that I had my backup cuffs zipped up in my shoulder pocket.

I cleared security in Atlanta at the T-concourse AA checkpoint and flew up to Chicago without a hassle. Then at O'Hare, I cleared security at the International terminal again without any problem. Boarded the Air India flight to Mumbai via Frankfurt, where for some reason I decided to head outside through security during the transit stop to do some shopping.

Coming back in through security, I ran my bag through the machine and suddenly heard some excited chatter on the other side. One of the screeners pointed at my bag and asked "is this yours sir?" and I replied that it was. He pointed at me and suddenly I had 2 submachine-gun toting guards pointing their weapons at me and slamming me into the wall. Somewhere in the cacophony of activity I heard the word "Handschellen" and it dawned upon me what had transpired!

Using my very limited German, I blurted out "Nein, nein - ich bin amerikanisch polizei" and thankfully they lowered their weapons. A supervisor came over and examined my credentials, but after much ado I was finally cleared to proceed with a stern warning to be more careful next time. I think it was pretty ironic how 2 US airports had missed the contraband entirely, while Germany came one step short of accidently filling me with lead!

khi747

Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:56 pm

Yup...ive had this distinction when i was kidnapped at Gun point.Not the best of feelings.

Vio

Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:44 am

A friend of mine (which was "fresh off the boat" from Romania) and myself, were driving through Detroit to go to Pontiac, Mich. He was speeding and on the way to there a State Trooper pulled us over.

Custom is, in Romania, if Police pulls you over, you get out of your car and go to theirs. So, this guys gets up, I didn't even have time to say "wait, he's gonna come to your window (you dumb ass)" so the cop freaked out and pulled the gun. My friend almost pissed his pants, I put my hands up and waited for my buddy to be cuffed (which was on the ground). After explaining the cop why he did that... he searched the car, etc etc... we got the ticket and a big scare...

Pretty dumb, eh?
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

Banco

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:28 am

Not really, Vio. Not if you come from a country where the police aren't worried that people might have guns. There have been one or two cases where British people have been shot by the police in the US because they thought they were going for a gun. I don't blame the police, it's just a tragic accident. Our police aren't armed so it doens't even enter into it. Getting out of the car is not unusual, nor is diving to your inside pocket to get out a driving licence or something.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Vio

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:45 am

Banco,

Yes you're right. However ew both understand the cop's actions. We're talking about Detroit here  Smile... however, a Canadian license plate should indicate that "there's a small chance these guys carry guns... especially across the border.." but then again... we "could've" bought the guns in Detroit...
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

prosa

Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:57 am

One incident comes to mind from back in my days working for the police department. I had just come off a night shift and was heading off to India for a while, so for some reason I threw my uniform jacket into my carryon bag forgetting that I had my backup cuffs zipped up in my shoulder pocket ... I think it was pretty ironic how 2 US airports had missed the contraband entirely, while Germany came one step short of accidently filling me with lead!

Hand cuffs are not on the TSA's list of prohibited items.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Superfly

Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:40 am

I've been held up at gunpoint three times. It’ a very scary feeling.
Once by LAPD, once by a druggie at a gas station and another time by a car jacker.
The police pulled me over and 'claimed' that I looked like a suspect they were after. (of course, all of us Blacks look the same  Yeah sure ) Four squad cars just swarmed on me at an intersection in Los Angeles. They had their lights on and their guns drawn standing behind their car doors. I was instructed to get out of the car via bullhorn with my hands up.
Once they realized I wasn't the guy they were looking for, they just pat me on the pack and said; "sorry fella, have a good night". They all jumped in their cars and left.

The drug addict was at a gas station in Inglewood, CA right beneath the final approach to LAX after a concert at the forum. After I paid for my gas, this strung out drug addict came up to me and demanded all of my money. I told the punk I didn't have any. He pulled my coat and forced the gun up against my chest. As I reached in to my pocket to give him my wallet, this big huge dude just came out of nowhere and picked the drug addict up and threw him down like a rag doll and his gun feel out of his hand. He began beating the $h!t out of this guy. He had owed that big guy money. He might have been his dope pusher. I got the hell out of there as quick as I could.

The car-jacking situation was again at a gas station at night. This time it was in San Bernardino, CA. This guy was standing at the gas station. When he saw me pumping gas he started begging me to give him a ride to his car that was out of gas 1 mile away. He was acting very aggressive about it and so I didn't really believe him. I told the guy I would do it but let me finish filling my tank. Once I put the gas nosil back on the tank, the guy started pulling the handle on the passenger side of my car. I jumped in started my engine and he started pounding on my window and them he reached under his shirt and pulled out a gun. I ducked down and speed off real quick. He fired a few times but missed. I ended up taking out some plants and flowers as I jumped the sidewalk and curb going on to the street.

Bring back the Concorde

MD11Engineer

Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:38 pm

Superfly,
I had a similar inident in Germany a few years ago. A Filipino colleague and I were walking down the street one evening, and suddenly a prowl car stopped beside us. One cop got out and demanded to see our IDs, while the other one stayed in the car, watching us. After they doublechecked our IDs with the computer database through their radios, they let us go. Later I heard somebody got mugged afew minutes before and they were looking for two men who´ve done it, and theysuspected the two perps would still be in the neighbourhood, but we didn´t fit the descriptions. No guns involved this time, but my colleague might have had a bad time if I wasn´t around, because the cop´s English was very bad and my colleague didn´t speak German.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

kolobokman

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:29 am

One time in Latvia when I was 15. I and my friend were looking for old gas masks (we needed rubber for the slingshot) at the abanoded Soviet military garrison. Turned out it was occupied by Latvian border guards... One of the guards with a scary looking Kalashnikov was holding us at gunpoit for half an hour until his commanding officer arrived.

I found a loaded Mosin rifle once cleaning school basement. I sneaked it into my fathers car. Big mistake! He sank it in the nearest river...
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

jcs17

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:18 am

Sort of.

My friend and I were driving back from the less than beautiful town of Decatur (Ga.) on S. Candler Rd. (just past Agnes Scott Lesbian U. if you know where I'm talking about) after getting smashed at a 4th of July festival. It was around 11 or 12AM. All of a sudden, a guy jumps out in front of our car and my friend slams on the breaks to avoid hitting him. Once we are stopped the guy pulls out a pistol, points it at the car, and motions for my friend to roll down the window. He does, the guy takes a look at us and says "Shit, get the fuck out of here!" As if we aren't the person he was looking for. We haul ass back to his parents house which is only about six blocks away and called the cops.

Scary moment, I'm just glad he decided to look in the car before pumping us with lead.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

photopilot

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:55 am

Only happened once when I was held at machine gun point on the highway between Cartagena and Barranquilla in Columbia, South America.
I was spread-eagle over the hood while my vehicle was searched for guns, drugs, and contraband. It was the military police doing the searching and they were taking NO chances, hence the hyper-cautious approach by them. In that country, can't say I really blame them. But damn glad I was carrying a Canadian passport and all the correct papers for me and the car.
Needed a clean pair of shorts and a cold beer after that one.
Steve

SophieMaltese

Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:46 pm

I haven't but my brother's friend was because he fit the description of someone who just held up a liquor store. He was coming out of a convenience store with a gallon of milk in a bag and they pulled guns on him and everything. Poor kid was so totally confused. they kept going "what's in the bag???" and he's going "Milk." they didn't seem to believe him until they looked.

funflyer

Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:52 pm

I own a gun.

DUCK
Who cares about status?