Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Trying To Understand Hong Kong...

Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:58 pm

Me and 9 friends are going to fly to hong kong because we just had our staff travel benefits given to us...

We arrive in hong kong at 17:50 on saturday and we must leave on the 23:25 service back to LHR.

Could anyone with experience of HKG please give me some tips and advice on what we can do in 5hrs...

We have to be back at Chek Lap Kok 1hr before the flight

Food is a decent suggestion and maybe some shops or a bar...  Smile
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Andreas

RE: Trying To Understand Hong Kong...

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:06 pm

Grab some food in Central, then head up on the Peak, find some nice place and make a picnic there watching one of the most beautiful harbour cities of the world turn on its lights..just fantastic!!!

Then down, Star Ferry to Kowloon, a little walk and/or business in Tsimshatsui east, and back to the airport!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:19 pm

Thanx for the ideas mate  Smile
anyone else know hong kong?

Leezyjet

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:44 am

KaddyUk,

Welcome to the wonderful world of VS staff travel. I'm with VS too at LHR.

I wouldn't bother going to HK for such a short time. When you arrive it will take you about 1 hour to get from the a/c into HK, then you will need to be at the airport a couple of hours before departure to list for standby (I'm assuming you know how standby works - especially with our HK colleauges) so for the amount of time you will be there you won't have enough time to do anything.

If you are restricted to the amount of time you have for the trip, you would be better going to NY as you gain time on the flight over rather than loose it like you would in HK so you will actually get more time to do things at your destination.

You can quite easily have a full day in NY if you went out on the VS045 and came back on one of the evening flights, which is more worthwhile than a couple of hours in HK.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:03 am

I reckon that we will have time for a chinese meal when we arrive... even if we dont leave the airport...

And we can list for the outbound flight when we get off our inbound flight...

Smile

Leezyjet

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:32 am

"And we can list for the outbound flight when we get off our inbound flight..."

Umm actually you can't. HK don't open check-in until 3 hours before departure. It's not like LHR where check-in is open all day as they only have the one flight.

Also the HK staff are not very accomodating when it comes to staff on standby either.

If you do decide to go, get the train to HK station then take a taxi to Wanchai - about 5-10 mins away. Thats where the decent bars are. If you take the taxi to Lockhart Road and go to a bar called Carnegies and show your VS id then you get 10% discount on drinks. There is a chinese restaurant a bit further down the road called the American Peking which is not bad and fairly cheap. Also round the corner from Carnegies is a bar called Dusk 'till Dawn. You get 30% off drinks in there with VS id - those bars are where the crews all hang out. Next to Carnegies is a bar called Fenwicks which is good for a laugh - full of philipino girls too that pay you lots of attention in return for a few drinks !!!.

If you don't leave the airport there is a nice chinese restaurant in the check-in hall, it's just at the end of the VS check-in area above the shops.

Have a good time - but still think it's not worth it for only a couple of hours !.

Smile

"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:18 pm

Quality....

Thanx for the tips. We might stay over night in hong kong and come back on the sunday flight. then go straight to work from heathrow :P

Phaeton

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:12 am

If I were you I would have a nice Dim sum meal and then head of to the bars in Lankwai Fong. You could also take the MTR (Mass Transit Rail) to the Kowloon side and walk around Tsimshatsui a bit. You will get the spectacular view of the Hong Kong skyline. Going up to the Peak is also very nice - especially if you take the Peak Tram. Walking around the gardens above Pacific Place next to the Conrad Hotel is also very nice.

Have a great time in Hong Kong!

Cheers!
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

Leezyjet

Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:56 am

If you do decide to stay overnight try staying at the Wharney Hotel. It costs about £30 per night for the room and is right next door to Carnegies (bar I mentioned earlier) so no getting taxis to/from the crew hotel.

It's in a great location - you can go out on the p!$$ and not even cross the street as the 3 bars I mentioned are on the same block !!! Also handy for popping back to take a [email protected] rather then use the skanky bar toilets !!.

I've stayed there twice and it's pretty good value for money. They also have showers and a seating area that you can use once you have checked out too.

I did HK for 28hours last August and you can do loads in that time.

Booked it thru www.hotelclub.net (link not working with <>).

Then just search for the hotel by name.

Smile