Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Help With My NYC Trip

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:54 pm

For spring break my friend and I have decided to go to NY for a weekend.

We are flying into LGA Friday morning, staying 2 nights at the Sheraton on 7th Ave 53rd St, then spending a night on Long Island visiting relatives before leaving Monday evening.

I've been to NYC several times however this is the first without parents.

I'd like to take a trip to Coney Island to get some Nathan's and some other fine eating, does anyone know if the Cyclone is open on weekends yet?

My favorite restaurant is located downtown called Adelphi. So if anyone has a suggestion for the next night, then please.

Pretty much I just need other things to do. So any suggestions please don't hesitate.

Thanks
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

MYT332

RE: Help With My NYC Trip

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:21 pm

You could be a tourist. Visit the ESB and WTC, then go by ferry to the Statue? Oh and go see Central Park? Tourist to the max!

One Life, Live it.

airjampanam

Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:47 am

The Cyclone will not be open yet, but Nathans will be.. not sure what else you define as "fine eating" that will be in Coney Island though!
Have Fun!!
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:28 am

MYT332, went to WTC last time I was there with my family, about a year ago. Been to Central Park many times, but I will definitely stopby again.

AirJam, my mom grew up along Brighton Ave, which was very different back then. We have a few favorite shops for food  Smile

Any good shows out there now? What are better parts of the city to walk around at....

Any other suggestions of where to go??
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

cytz_pilot

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:57 am

Mmmmmm Nathans.

The last time I was there was when I decided to go for the 1st anniversary of 9-11. Later in the day I went out to a deserted Coney Island for a hotdog, and I remember how peaceful it was...nothing but the wind blowing sand across the beach, the slight traffic noise and the fighter jets in the distance circling Manhattan.

But then again I love photographing deserted amusement parks...looking forward to going to Centreville on the Toronto Islands this weekend.

my pointless anecdote... Smile

AA7771stClass

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:33 am

Amazingly enough Virgin, I think we're going to be staying in the same hotel but I don't think the dates match up. What are the odds (I guess with this many members it's actually pretty good...)

rjpieces

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:42 am

I suggest a fantastic dessert place called Serendipity. It is on 3rd Avenue and 60th Street. You will probably have to wait on a line for a table but it is worth the great desserts. Also, down the block is an amazing store called Dylan's which has tons and tons of candy.

What kind of food do you like? You name the ethnicity, I'll name the place!  Smile
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

JBLUA320

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:50 am

New York New York!

Here are the New York City must dos!
+ Take in a Broadway show- you can get some good seats at super cheap prices by taking advantage of the TKTS line at Duffy Square!

+Visit the Statue of Liberty if you want to...honestly, it's not terribly exciting, but still, a place you can add to your New York City resume!

+Coney Island, which I see you already have plans for!

+Times Square- just walk around and enjoy the atmosphere... you've been here before, you know what its like!

As for some fine dining suggestions, I know far too many..but if your looking for the "young hip" scene, try Balthazar (call way ahead for reservations!) or Pastis..both of which are very good! Also, Ollies Noodle House fits the bill for some good, fast and CHEAP asian cuisine!

I hope you enjoy your stay in the city!!!
-Ben

JBLUA320

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:59 am

RJ- Forgot about Serendipity, but the desserts are HEAVENLY!

JBLU

emiratesa345

Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:15 am

I sure hope you're 18 or whatever legal age in NYC is. When I went no hotel would check me in because of this, even with my own credit card.

EmiratesA345 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

sfointern

Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:47 pm

Try "Sparks" or "Peter Luger" both excellent steakhouses. Other restaurants off the top of my head..."Jean Georges," "Kinoko," (best sushi deal ever) "Sushi Samba," "Nobu," "Calle Ocho."

For other great restaurants, just check Zagat's or Citysearch. MMM!

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Emirates: We had actually tried to stay at a different hotel because my friend's dad had enough points for a free night, but they wanted 21! I am 20 and friend is 19. So before booking the Sheraton I checked and they are 18. Anyways, had I not known that I thank you for bringing it up!

Thanks for all these restaurant recommendations. When I think of NY I think of skyscrapers and FOOD.

We'll definitely try to see a show while we are there.

Thanks, and if anyone has anything to add keep'em coming,

Matt

JBLUA320

Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:06 am

Some more eating tips:

+Bivio (Hudson St)
+Vine (Broad St)
+Blue Hill (Washington Place)
+Odeon (W. Broadway)

-JBLU