Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GOTbound
Topic Author

How To Get From JFK To Upper West Side?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:30 am

In November I will spend some days in NYC, I will arrive at JFK and depart from LGA a few days later, now I need some advice on options how to get from JFK to Upper West Side and from Upper West Side to LGA.

rgs.GOTbound

[Edited 2004-03-03 19:30:45]

HeyMach

RE: How To Get From JFK To Upper West Side?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:43 am

I have always found hailing a cab immeasurably useful. Smile

KFRG

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:49 am

AirTrain to Jamaica, then LIRR to Penn Station.
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/

csavel

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:50 am

Well if you're on a budget, you can take the "A" train as the song says. Now that they have Airtrain, you don't have to take a Port Authority bus to get there. Don't know where you're going on the Yupper West side, but the A is express in Manhattan so you may need to switch to a local at 59th st./Columbus Circle. From my house in Wash. Heights which is further north, to JFK it takes about 1 1/2 hours on the A (Done it more times that I can remember) It should take you a bit more than an hour. Now a cab depending on traffic could take you from fifteen minutes (once flew out on Thanksgiving morning. The highways were empty!) to many frustrating hours.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

GOTbound
Topic Author

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:31 am

Thanks, I'm going to 2130 Broadway at 75th Street, I have thought about cab or some kind of shuttle bus since we are 6 persons traveling, but if train is faster on Friday afternoon I sure go for that, and to get from Upper West Side to LGA? Train, cab, bus?

rgs.GOTbound

KFRG

Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:37 am

From upper west side you could just take the A down to the PA and take the NY airport service bus to LGA, or if you miss that stop, take it from Penn.

-Tom

GOTbound
Topic Author

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:00 am

Thanks for that,

So basically, AirTrain to "Jamaica", then LIRR to Penn Station, then "A", and to LGA, "A" to Penn Station and Airport Bus to LGA? Btw, what stion is "PA"?

rgs.GOTbound

JFKspotter

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:10 am

I'm guessing that by the 'PA' station, he refers to the Port Authority bus terminal.

-JFKspotter

FoxBravo

Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:27 am

If you are 6 people, it may just be easier to take 2 cabs. Especially if you are not too familiar with NY. I would especially recommend this when you go to LGA, since it's a short ride and usually only $15-20 total per cab (from JFK it's $35 plus tip and toll, so about $45 total per cab).

However, if you are on a tight budget and don't have much luggage, then take the AirTrain from JFK to Howard Beach, then the A train to 59th St./Columbus Circle, and switch across the platform to the C train and get off at the next stop, 72nd St. (at Central Park West). There is an access fee of $5 for the Airtrain, and the subway fare is $2.

To get to LGA, get on the 1/9 subway at 72nd St. and Broadway, and take it to 110th St. There, you can transfer directly to the M60 bus, which goes straight to LGA. This will cost a total of $2 per person, definitely the cheapest option, since the transfer is free.

This map might help you visualize all this: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Good luck and have a great trip!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

airjampanam

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:09 am

You may want to try the Super Shuttle from JFK to the Upper West side and the M60 bus from there to LGA.
The Super Shuttle is a shared van service and there is a website where u can make a reservation for your party.
http://flyaow.com/supershuttle.htm
I think the van seats 4 so you all may be in 2 vehicles with the accompanying luggage.
The M60 is a stright shot in an hour or less depending on traffic and time of day back to LaGuardia.
The other suggestions are good as well depending on budget and sense of adventure etc.
Suing is the new Lotto... if u wanna win u gotta sue!

prosa

Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:03 pm

To get to LGA, get on the 1/9 subway at 72nd St. and Broadway, and take it to 110th St. There, you can transfer directly to the M60 bus, which goes straight to LGA. This will cost a total of $2 per person, definitely the cheapest option, since the transfer is free.

There have been occasional tensions on the M60, with local riders in Harlem angry at LGA passengers taking up space with luggage. Not long ago a regular poster in a different forum was assaulted (not seriously) on the M60.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

FoxBravo

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:15 pm

I think the Supershuttle is only worth it if you are traveling alone--otherwise I think it might be more cost-effective to share a cab (unless the Supershuttle gives a group discount, but I don't think it does).

I have never heard of problems on the M60 bus, and certainly wouldn't be deterred by that. When I have taken it, it was not particularly full, and most passengers were bound to/from the airport, including airline employees. Unless someone were being particularly inconsiderate with his/her luggage (i.e., putting it on a seat, or totally blocking the aisle), which will annoy people anywhere, I can't imagine anyone would have a problem with a couple of bags. After all, it is designed as an airport bus, not a local cross-town bus. Of course local riders can ride it too, but there are plenty of other buses on 125th St. for those not going to the airport who have an aversion to luggage.

GOTbound
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:04 am

If I decides to go for the cab, is it just to pickup one at the airport/outside hotel or do I have to make pre-arrangements? Also, should I request a fixed rate to prevent getting "robbed" (= try to fool tourist to pay way more than a regular New Yorker would have)?

Thanks,

GOTbound

FoxBravo

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:21 am

Yes, you can pick up a cab at the airport or at the hotel, no need to make pre-arrangements.

At the airport, when you exit the terminal there will be a taxi stand with a line of yellow cabs (and sometimes a line of people waiting for them, but it usually moves quickly). From JFK there is a flat rate of $35 plus toll and tip (it is customary to tip cab drivers here), so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off. This is usually posted all over the inside of the cab.

When you leave your hotel, you can just hail a cab anywhere on the street (unlike some cities where you have to find a taxi stand). At the bigger hotels, there may be cabs lined up waiting for people, or you can ask the doorman/bellman to hail a cab for you (give him $1 if he does this). The cabbie will start the meter when you get in the cab, so there is no need to negotiate a rate. Although I suppose it is possible for the cabbie to take a circuitous route, from my many years of experience NY cab drivers are generally very honest and would rather get you to your destination quickly so they can pick up another passenger. Again, the toll will be added separately.

For tolls, the driver might ask you to give him the cash ($4.00) when you reach the bridge or tunnel, or if the driver has E-ZPass (an electronic toll payment system) he will just add $3.50 to the total amount.

As for tips, it is totally up to you and should depend on the service you receive, but as I mentioned above, it is customary (unless of course the driver is totally rude or whatever) to tip about 10-15% of the fare (then round to the nearest dollar). So, on the drive in from JFK to Manhattan, you can expect to pay about $43-45 including tip and toll.

fritzi

Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:48 am

Taxi

GOTbound
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:41 am

Thank's FoxBravo for your helpful information, the reason why I asked about the possible rip-of by cab driver is because the some of the cab drivers in Gothenburg, Sweden sometimes rip-of tourists, like charge 100 $ for a trip from GOT to the city centre when the fixed rate is 45$... once again thanks!

rgs.GOTbound

Ezra

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:42 am

If you are going to Broadway and 75th street (are you staying at the Beacon, by chance?), it is better to take the 1/9 or 2/3 subway from Penn Station.

Here's your route:
Airtrain from JFK to Jamaica
LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station
1/9 or 2/3 subway (the red lines) to 72nd street subway station.
You'll exit the subway on Broadway, two or three short blocks from your destination (depending on which exit you take -- there are two exits).

If you don't have too much luggage, I'd recommend taking public transportation into Manhattan since Friday afternoon traffic is very heavy.

For getting to LGA, it's a pretty quick trip by cab but from Broadway and 75th it will cost around $20 (probably somewhat more) plus tip and toll for the bridge. If you want to take the M60, you can take the 1/9 to 103rd street or 110th street. The bus originates around 106th street, so if you pick it up there you're guaranteed a seat. Fare is $2 per person, and the trip from 106th street can take up to an hour.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

FoxBravo

Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:14 am

GOTbound, I know, it's an unfortunate practice but I have been ripped off myself more than once when taking cabs in foreign cities. Prague in particular comes to mind. But as long as you are aware of the $35 flat rate from JFK to Manhattan, you should be fine. One unique thing about NY is that it's harder than most places to distinguish between tourists and locals. There are so many people from around the world here, that even someone who speaks another language and dresses differently could have lived here for 10 years! So I think cab drivers here tend to be a bit hesitant to try anything too sketchy.  Smile

Ezra's option works too, but note that the LIRR is more expensive than taking the subway the whole way, and you will have more staircases, etc. when you transfer at Penn Station. Penn Station is also extremely crowded on Friday afternoons. Depending on the schedules, it can be just as quick (and probably easier) to take the A train as I described above--and if you would rather get off at 72nd and Broadway, instead of Central Park West, you can simply transfer from the A to the 1 or 9 (instead of the C) at Columbus Circle.

If you do decide to take the LIRR from Jamaica to Penn Station, I would recommend simply catching a cab from there to your hotel. Because the subway would cost $2 per person, it would not be much more (if at all) to simply share 2 cabs--it's not a long ride up the West Side from there, and it would be much less hassle.

GOTbound
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:47 am

Ezra, We where suppose to stay at the Beacon, but when we tried to get an confirmation from the travel agent, we where told that it was sold out due to the NY Marathon, the reason why we are going... so we picket the Milburn instead, suppose to be "just across the street"...

rgs.GOTbound