AATriple7
Topic Author

The Phoenix Area

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:55 am

I am currently living in Milwaukee, and my family and I are going to be relocating to the Phoenix area (Gilbert) I would just like to know from the people who live in Ariozna how they like it.

USAF

Superfly

RE: The Phoenix Area

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 pm

AATriple7:
I am currently living in Milwaukee, and my family and I are going to be relocating to the Phoenix area (Gilbert)

Sounds like your going from heaven to hell.  Sad
Track homes and strip malls as far as the eye can see. Everything is new and sterile. It gets hot as hell in the summer.

I don't live there but I have been there serveral times. I have been to Milwaukee many times.
(See my Wisconsin thread).  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

FlagshipAZ

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:11 pm

Superfly pretty much has it down pat about the greater PHX area. I live in Bullhead, on AZ's west coast. So be prepared for the summers here. From Memorial Day weekend until Labor Day, you can expect every single day to be over 100 degrees outside. And during the monsoon season (July-August) expect some humidity as well. Just hope your new digs has 2 by 6 perimeter walls and a A/C unit doing 12 seer. Otherwise your power bill will be $120 buck a month just for cooling purposes alone. And BTW, get a light color car, with tinted windows & a decent A/C system...you'll stay cooler that way. Welcome to Arizona... Wink/being sarcastic Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

cptkrell

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16 pm

My last one-week stay in Phoenix (July) was guaranteed 113 F mid day with TV/radio/newspaper warnings against more than 13 minutes of unprotected skin in the direct sun. Nice place to visit (the Camelback), but...you know the story. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

Beefmoney

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:52 pm

I live in Glendale, which is the Northwestern suburb of Phoenix, and have my whole life (17 years).

Personally, I love Phoenix. I've been to most major cities in the US that rival Phoenix in size and I always love returning back to Phoenix. Its just my kind of place.

People are always complaining that Phoenix is "one big strip mall". Well, you may think that I am about to argue against that, but I am not. It really is one big strip mall. But you know what? I LOVE that.

I LOVE the fact that 99% of interesections have, at a bare minimum, a home depot, a walgreens, a gas station, and either a jack-in-the box, carls junior, or other similair fast food joint. You cant swing a dead cat around here without hitting 3 out of those 4 things. For gods sake, the intersection about 100 feet from my house here has 4 GAS STATIONS. 4!!!!. One on each corner! And you know whats behind every single one of those gas stations? Strip malls and a fast food joint! And its like that EVERYWHERE.

But, I will say it again..... I LOVE IT.

People may say "Phoenix sucks, it doesnt have near as much culture as Philly or DC or NY"

Well woopidydoo, I dont care. I cant eat culture. I like my strip mall city. Whenever I need somthing from a home depot, a walgreens, a circle-k, or a jack in the box, I know that you dont need to go look up locations in a phone book. All you need to do is get in your car, start the ignition, put it in reverse, and promptly get back out of your car because you more than likely already accidentally drove into the checkout lane of a walgreens.

When I went to New York last year, the first thing I wanted to do was eat. I was starving. We left the airport, got a rental car, and started heading out. Being from Phoenix, I didnt expect to have to go more than 2 minutes without eating. We drove for 45 minutes looking for food. 45 MINUTES!! We started making morbid jokes about dying of starvation in our car. I had never driven for so long without seeing a fast food joint in all my life. It just didnt seem natural to drive more than 10 feet without seeing a fast food joint or strip mall.

So, if you want "culture" or "history" or "double digit temperatures" go live somewhere else. But if you want 110+ heat, endless seas of cookie cutter houses, and strip malls on every corner, you come right over next to me, because I aint leaving.

DC10GUY

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:28 pm

I live in Goodyear GYR ( just west of Phoenix) And I love it. I was born and raised in Detroit and I've lived in IND, SDF, MEM, MIA & MQY. PHX Is by far the nicest place I have ever lived. It is hot in the summer BUT ! I've never had to scrap the sunshine off my car windows or shovel the heat off my drive way. From Halloween to Memorial Day the weather is awesome. That's why PHX is the 2nd fastest growing city in the US.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

cancidas

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:38 pm

...AZ's west coast. lol! total contradiction there...  Nuts  Laugh out loud

i lived in PRC for some time. we went down to PHX a lot, mainly because PRC is just a lame retirement town. it's not all that exciting. if you like not seeing people that's the place to be. everyone drives, no one walks. it sucks in my book!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

IMissPiedmont

Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:44 pm

One could only wish for a $120.00 electric bill in Maricopa county if you have an air conditioner, and swamp coolers don't work there. My poor, foolish brother is happy when his is $400.00. But then he's a twit for living in Tempe.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

sushka

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:00 pm

I really like the Phoenix area. I have spent a lot of time in Glendale and Goodyear. The cities are really nice and modern. All of the houses are cool. I also like how there are orange trees on the street.

I would live there (with a good air conitioner)
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

kc7mmi

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:15 pm

I live in Mesa and have for my entire life which is just over two decades (wow I'm old). The valley is a great place to live if you get in a good neighborhood. As for me, my neighborhood sucks because crime & scum is moving in. One more thing, it gets hot but its a dry heat. Big grin ...and you get used to it.

EIPremier

Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:23 pm

AZ's west coast. lol! total contradiction there...

Hey, AZ almost had a western coastline (along the northern part of the Gulf of California). IIRC, it was a surveying error or something like that.

kbuf737

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:32 pm

So what is life like without snow?

Note... see my username

Strip Malls, Chains, not my thing.. Sounds like a big suburb. I'm all about the little guy, and all about the little guys businesses.. The things that add character to the East Coast just arent around out west. And sprawl...what an awful thing that is. Just miles of urban development how terrible.. I'm happy with my green trees and my four seasons and a football team that my town has pride in and cares about. Buffalo, half the size twice the heart!

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

DC10GUY

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:45 pm

KBUF737, Buffalo ??? You have got to be shitting me dude. I've worked at BUF airport before that place is like a small Cleveland only worse. Wet snow, 3 hours of day light. And the roads ???? Can you say Chuck hole ??? PHX Has over 300 days a year of sun. That's something you just can't get in Buffalo.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

johnboy

Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:43 pm

Towels on the car seats, towels draped across the car steering wheels or you'll have blisters on your hands and/or ass in the summertime.

But infinitely better than snow...trust me on this one.

desertjets

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:27 pm

I lived in the Phoenix area (Mesa) from 91 to 98 when I went off to college in Tucson.

Phoenix is much like any rapidly growing sunbelt city. A lot of cookie cutter strip malls and shopping centers, but there is enough local character and flair if you take the time to look for it. Which is the same that could be said for ANY city. And even where I am living now, a little town north of Syracuse that could practically be in Canada, I can still find the massive shopping and strip mall sameness.

But you cannot beat the climate out there. You get so much sunshine you yearn for a cloudy day here and there. And the heat is not that bad at all. It is just one of those things that you just get used to. You just don't go out and run around outside for very long when it is 110.

Overall I think the Valley is a good place to live. Cost of living is a little cheaper than most places, cheap housing is still available in some areas, and the schools are all pretty good. And you don't have to shovel heat.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

prosa

Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:46 pm

We spent a week in Phoenix in August 2002. All in all, it seemed like a decent enough area. Although it was very hot most of the time, the low humidity kept it tolerable. Getting around the area was quite easy; the street numbering system made it simple to find most places, traffic was never particularly heavy (it's probably worse in winter), and I was surprised at how compact the whole metro area was. As another reply noted, I can see how living in the area is quite convenient.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

av8rphx

Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:54 am

I have lived in Glendale for just about 2 years now. The summers are hot and my electric bill is no less than $300 a month in the summer. Phoenix has its culture like other cities,however as someone else stated it is harder to find. As a former Wisconsinite, I sometimes find myself longing for some snow. My wife's parents live in PRC however so that sometimes serves as my winter escape. Speaking of cloudy days... it is cloudy today, so I am going to go enjoy the cloudiness while I can.

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:39 am

The Phoenix Metropolitan Area is the greatest place in the world to live in, if you want my opinion.

Well-run cities, great infrastructure, easy-to-navigate grid system of roads and a new, VERY convenient freeway system.

Phoenix - Sky Harbor International Airport is centrally located and convenient from every suburb.

Vegas is 5 hours by car. So is the beach at Puerto Penasco, Sonora. Skiing is only 2 hours away by car, and if you decide to make Southern California your weekend getaway, you can hit that in 5 hours also.

The cost of living is considerably less expensive than other places, and you get a lot for your money.

You can get awesome Mexican food 24/7, even on holidays. (Repeat after me : FILIBERTOS.)  Big grin

Phoenix is also one of the few cities in which you can take in Major League Baseball, NBA Basketball, NFL Football, NHL Hockey, and Division 1 college sports - plus secondary sports like NASCAR, Arena Football, etc.

Heck - there's even a WNBA team, if that's your thing.  Nuts

You have better than 300 days of sunshine a year, and as others have said, you truly DO get used to the heat - it's not as bad as you think it is. Unlike New York, Boston, Chicago and other similar places, people don't pass out here when it tops 85 degrees.

You can play golf year-round, on some of the best courses in the world. You can have a tan year-round also, if you choose. The shopping is amazing, and all sorts of stores are available within "dead-cat-swinging-distance," as someone else already pointed out.  Big grin

The schools? Great. The people? Friendly. The women? SMOKIN' HOT!

The only thing that sucks? THE DRIVERS! Why? BECAUSE THEY ALL CAME FROM DIFFERENT PLACES, and driving styles tend not to mix well.

Welcome to The Valley of the Sun!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

4holer

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:06 am

I live in Gilbert.
Count me in for a "yea" vote.
In addition to the plusses listed by others, let me add these:
Great base to see other nearby things.
I've road tripped to Rocky Point MX, Telluride and Durango CO, Bryce Canyon and Zion N.P. UT, plus, Grand Canyon North and South rims, Monument Valley, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Organ Pipe N.Mon., Bisbee, old Rt. 66, Skiied in Flagstaff and the White Mountains all right here in AZ. (As a matter of fact I'm skiing this weekend in a couple of feet of new powder at Sunrise Ski Park (3.5-4hrs away) (webcam) and driving back Sunday and will be drinking wearing shorts in the back yard with temps in the 80s!)

Gilbert itself is OK. Odd in that there is a Mormon church (or 2) on every block, but nice enough. Convenient to highways, reasonable cost houses...We'll probably buy our next house in Gilbert as well.

Don't worry. You 'll enjoy it. You may be shocked by the summer since it is so foreign, but you'll adjust.

The weather is nice, but if you want to cool down, see snow or leaves changing, it is a few hours north of you.
The heat isn't all that unbearable, you just avoid it the same way you do the winter cold back east, and as said before, you don't shovel heat from your driveway.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention... While the sun is usually out, today is unbelievably gray and dismal! I work next to Scottsdale airport and the ceiling is so low that jets taking off are in the clouds in less than 10 seconds!
Cool, wet, and gray. Yuk.

[Edited 2004-03-04 19:15:27]
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

SpeedbirdHeavy

Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:56 am

I love PHX!!! But, I've also lived in Milwaukee, which is another great city.

Yes, Phoenix is new. The majority of the freeway infrastructure is less than 10 years old. The culture of this town is the beauty of the desert. Nice mountains to hike. Great resorts that offer incredible deals in the summertime.

It's very cosmopolitan. Major sports teams and outlets. Great restaurants and a culture of fine arts that is developing.

No matter what you're into, you'll find it here in the valley.

Yes, the climate is great too. Summers can be a bit trying. However, you do get used to it. I remember one day last summer when it was 101. I thought it was a bit cool to go swimming! Anything past 106 can get to be too much.

But, think of it this way. Like Milwaukee, there are probably 3 months out of the year when you don't want to be outside. They're just at opposite ends of the calendar!

Welcome home!
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

4holer

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

BTW,
Yesterday (Thursday) ended with severe thunderstorms imbedded in those showers. It hailed over much of the Valley, leaving enough white on the ground that it looked like it had snowed! You would have felt right at home!

It will be in the 80s by Sunday though!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Delta767300ER

PHX Is Great

Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:22 pm

I have been to Phoenix several times and have enjoyed it! The city is extremely clean, The only cleaner place I have been to is Las Vegas. PHX has anything that you want as far is eating, shopping, lodging, ect. The desert scenery is just amazing! I hate green so I love PHX. I also really like the dry heat even in the summertime. I live in Florida and in August it can get into the mid 90's here w/ 85% humidity which is HELL. I was in PHX in August, 2000 and did some hiking on Squaw Peak for a few hours and I was only sweating a little bit. If I would of been in Florida I would be sweating my ass off.

-Delta767300ER