Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

All Britons To Be Fingerprinted Upon Entry In USA

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:42 am

Just heard on the news that ALL Britons travelling to America will be fingerprinted upon arrival, regardless of whether they needed a visa or not. A step-up in security, me thinks.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

lan707

RE: All Britons To Be Fingerprinted Upon Entry In USA

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:48 am

I have heard 27 countries with are in the Visa Waiver Program. It will start from the 30th of Sep04. Fingerprints and photo!!!!!!!!!!

One reason not to travel this year to the US. I can spend my money somewhere else.

My opionion!!!!!!!!!!!

ba757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:49 am

At least were not all been forced to get Visa's.

After all, its no real hassle to have a couple of fingerprints done and a photo, is it?

I mean they take your photo in T3 at MAN when you go through to airside and a lot of people don't even notice.

Adam

Leezyjet

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:49 am

Oh well, guess I'm never going to the US on holiday again then.

I'll spend my tourist $$ in a country that won't treat me like a criminal.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

AMS

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:55 am

Yes, I think that the present long waiting times at immigration will only become longer!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:57 am

Well if the exchange rate is favorable you might as well.

"At least were not all been forced to get Visa's."

If the UK Passport Service cannot get the biometric passports to be issued after the end of October this year then you need a visa to travel to the USA which you can obtain from the U.S. Embassy in London only for a handsome fee of around £67 and you get a nice long interview first.

As long as you don't get ink stained fingers I don't think too many people would mind.

Sanitary napkin.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

sevenair

ID)

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:59 am

yeah,
security checks at US airports are slow enough. I bet the Americans would not be too hapy about the same being done to them in the UK-but saying that the UK does have a lot of terrorist activity (recent days example) and RIchard Reid and the like ,then perhaps it is a good idea. However, I do not see it as fair to single out one Nationality, if its done for one, then surely, in this world of equal oppertunities, we should all be fingerprinted, or none of us at all. But the USA never quite works that way, does it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ba757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:00 am

If the UK Passport Service cannot get the biometric passports to be issued after the end of October this year then you need a visa to travel to the USA which you can obtain from the U.S. Embassy in London only for a handsome fee of around £67 and you get a nice long interview first.

No - this is apparently what has been changed. They are just starting the fingerprinting and photos from October - so you can still enter under the visa waiver program.

Adam

ultrapig

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:01 am

This is an unfortunate necessary evil of 9-11-A similar procedure would not stop me from Visiting Europe.

The US is really a great place to visit-low prices-very friendly people and lots of interesting things to do and visit. Different than other places.

HOMER71

Have fun in whatever country you decide to spend your money, we'll try to manage...  Laugh out loud
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

dutchjet

Yes, the fingerprint/picture requirement upon entering the US is being extended to Visa-Waiver countries because its been determined that most countries will not be able to produce the new passports that contain bio-metric information (and thus are very difficult to counterfiet) by the September date. Once the new type passports are being used, this regulation is likely to be ammended......in any case, what is the big deal? The process takes a moment at the immigration station and is a valid security measure that is not likely to inconvenience visitors to the US. For 99.99% of us, there is nothing to worry about. The US is not treating its visitors like criminals.

The US will take some heat for doing this, but likely, it is just the first step in a world wide program that will be able to track a persons movements from country to country......something we may all have to live with in the fight against terrorism and the problems of illegal immigration. When you think about it, the entire passport system is out-dated and probably can be better handled electronically.

ba757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:03 am

As long as I never have to get a visa (for travel purposes - working is different) I will always continue to visit the US. A few fingerprints and photos don't bother me.

The US is an amazing place.

Adam

artsyman

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:06 am

For all you Brits that don't need visa's to visit the USA, think about all the other countries that you do need visas for. Then, stop and think about what happens when you apply for a visa. You submit money and data, and they go and investigate you, look into where you have been, what you have been doing.

It isnt a new thing, and really isn't an invasive thing. I'd much rather get finger printed than investigated, but at the end of the day, nothing to hide, so I really don't care

J

mikeymike

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:07 am

Very well stated DutchJet, these are unfortunate by-products of the war on terrorism.

Besides, whats the bigger hassle, spending an extra hour in immigration or travelling over one of those bomb-laden rail lines.

garnetpalmetto

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:08 am

As long as you don't get ink stained fingers I don't think too many people would mind.

Not even that, as the fingerprinting is done electronically
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

sevenair

ID)

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:09 am

i know, it may be due to 9/11, but the evil doers were who they said they were! They were not travelling under false papers.

flylondon

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:16 am

Before everyone starts the US bashing we should consider that this is actually a compromise. Rather than impose the need for visas for the countries that cannot produce the biometric passports in time, they are now saying you can continue to use the current passports for now and just get photographed and fingerprinted again.

This will be reversed once biometric passports become available and is hardly a huge hassle for anyone who has nothing to hide.

The US should be commended for acknowledging the difficulties the other countries were having and reacting to this.

netdhaka

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:19 am

I am not sure what kinds of effect it will have on the travel industry. There are some people who wouldn't want to be photographed and some would be fine with it. I just visited Europe and on my flight from ORD-LHR most of the passengers were American and CDG-ORD flight almost all the passengers were American. I am sure flights operated by European carriers have more European passengers.

US knows that even though they introduce such policies there won't be any reactions to the extent that they will have to revise their policies. US is a vast county with lots of things to see so they know that many people will come to visit the country even if they introduce tougher regulations than just fingerprinting and photographing.

Interesting development nonetheless.

solnabo

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:19 am

No US visit for me, thank U very much  Angry

Michael//SE
Airbus SAS - Love them both

ba757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:22 am

There are some people who wouldn't want to be photographed

I don't understand how some people can have problems with this. Its done discreetly, you have to have a photo on your passport, driving license etc...

Just think - how many times are you filmed or have your photo taken on airport CCTV or CCTV in citys and streets in general and you don't realise.

Adam

ConcordeBoy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:23 am

No US visit for me, thank U very much

I can assure you that we over here are completely and utterly heartbroken  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Sabena332

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:27 am

I have heard 27 countries with are in the Visa Waiver Program. It will start from the 30th of Sep04. Fingerprints and photo!!!!!!!!!!

Is this true? All residents from countries which are participate in the VWP have to leave fingerprints while arriving in the USA???  Confused

Hmmm, I really like(d) to spend my vacations in the USA, but in the circumstances, I rather prefer to spend my holidays in a non-police state.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:28 am

The whole fingerprint process and photo takes maybe a whole 30 seconds maybe a minute to do for crying out loud stop being cry babies. Its not that big of a freakin deal.

Indio66

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:29 am

Two words: Richard Reid.

PS - I love Britain and will be visiting soon. Unfortunately, in this day and age, we must do what we can to combat terror.

StevenUhl777

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:30 am

What a shame...Britain is our closest ally, too. Unfortunately, people like Richard Reid helped bring this about.

I'm sure there will be some form of reciprocity for this....like the EU nations tightening rules for Americans flying over. Should be interesting for me when I arrive at FRA and STN in July.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

AnsettB727

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:32 am

Those who are still prepared to travel to the US don't seem too concerned that the US Government now has a copy of their fingerprints! An entry office at ORD tried to convince me of just how painless it all was, and couldn't understand why I wouldn't want that governement especially to have such intimate, identifying details about myself!

ba757

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:34 am

I really can't see why people are making such a big fuss over this. Its no big deal. I really doubt people will stop going to a great place like America just because they don't want their photo and finger prints taken.

If it helps security then I'm all for it.

Adam

solnabo

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:34 am

U should be! I´m not the only one thinking that I should be treated like a criminal.....US gonna loose big $$$ on the tourism......
Dont worry, I wont be heartbroken thats for sure!

Michael//SE

Sabena332

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:35 am

The whole fingerprint process and photo takes maybe a whole 30 seconds maybe a minute to do for crying out loud stop being cry babies.

It is not the process itself, but rather the situation, I will not get treaten like a criminal when I am entering a country where I am going to spend my holidays.

I've been four time in the USA in the past 12 month, but this will stop rapidly (unfortunately  Sad), such a procedure makes me feel I am not welcome there.

Anyway, there are several other countries in this world where I can spend my holidays, it's not the end of the world  Big thumbs up.

Patrick

NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

scottysair

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:46 am

This is not want need to get any fingerprinted piror into the United States and this is really need to beef up with immgration with the speed and make sure no more wait than 10 mins.

Sabena332

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:50 am

I can assure you that we over here are completely and utterly heartbroken  Laugh out loud

Strange opinion, dude!

signed

The tourism boards all around the USA

Etited to add the smiley like in the original post.

[Edited 2004-04-03 00:52:25]

kl911

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:51 am

Typical America again...... We don't have those stupid security things in Europe and we don't need them. And...... England, Spain and Italy etc are more likely to be targeted then the US anyway...... This goes a bit far no?
You won't see me there for a while because i'm getting sick and tired of the ''out of proportion'' security measures....

kl911

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:58 am

It seems that Americans are less brave and more afraid every day......
260 million persons affected by an attack from 20 terrorist. Come on! The chance of winning the lotto is bigger then that they blow you out of the sky......

tekelberry

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:58 am

I rather prefer to spend my holidays in a non-police state.

Nice....real nice. And you call people from the US ignorant?

[Edited 2004-04-03 01:02:33]

kl911

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:05 am

Tekelberry ,

He has a point, the US are becoming Germany in the 30's........
You guys all act like it's normal to take fingerprints of an INNOCENT person.....
First you prove i'm a criminal, then you can have my fingerprints.....

Shamrock_747

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:05 am

Though additional security measures will be unpleasant and a hassle, can you really blame the US for implementing them considering what they've been through? As for the "police-state" business, I haven't seen anything that will mean different treatment for tourists outside the airport.

The USA will still be my favourite holiday destination.

Sabena332

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:06 am

This coming from someone from Germany... You practically live in a (former) police-state.

1. I never lived in the GDR (a former police state)!
2. I never lived in Nazi Germany (sort of a police state) because I wasn't born at this time!
3. The Germany I know, wasn't, isn't and will not become a police state like the USA are becoming since a few month!

Don't think you can make scathing remarks about MY country and not get one in return...

Don't think you can make scathing remarks about MY country and not get one in return...!

Patrick

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:08 am

I guess different people view this in different ways.

My fingerprints are already on file with the states of California, Maryland, and Pennsylvania as conditions of working in state government, and I would guess they're also cross-referenced in the FBI. My picture is already on my state and international driver's licenses, my work ID, and my passport. And back in the 60's when I applied for graduate school at University of Saskatchewan and University of British Columbia, my picture went to those provinces.

So, if someone wants my picture, all they need do is ask. And all I ask is for three poses and a copy for my photo album.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

bullpitt

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:09 am

I'm still determined to go and visit the US this year, and no terrorist is going to make me change my mind. I still catch the same train to work as I did on M-11. F**K them.  Pissed

They wont change my life. The only thing that worries me is those TSA agents don't seem to be that bright. Hope they realize an Airline employee from a friendly country with his wife and child along are not very likely to be terrorist. Big grin
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

Sabena332

Great Tekelberry, you have edited your post, good that I quoted you in my last reply, now everyone can see what kind of crap you actually posted.

Patrick

shamrock104

Very dissapointed at that decision, not only for potential visitors to the US but for their tourism industry that may suffer in the longer term. Although some argue what's the problem with having your photograph and fingerprints taken, I believe it's intrusive. What's more, why bother going through all that hastle if you can go somewhere else that doesen't require such drachonian measures...

flylondon

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:15 am

Put yourself in the position of a US politician after a terrorist attack on America. Try telling the families of those killed that you might have been able to catch them but you didn't want to risk some Europeans feeling like "they were being treated like criminals" by immigration!

The US government has a duty to its own citizens and not to facilitate the holiday plans of foreigners.

The effect on the tourism industry if another attack were to occur would be much greater than these new rules. If you don't want to go there then fine, what are you hiding?

The sad truth is that terrorists have infiltrated both Europe and America. The authorities there are working on the latter and these measures are to protect themselves against the latter. Every country has a sovereign right to impose conditions of entry.

kl911

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:20 am

Don't get me wrong US members, I've got nothing against you, but I'm against giving any private information to any government as long as I'm not guilty.....
Why is it that the US needs this and Europe doesn't? Maybe because the FBI and CIA aren't as effective anymore as in the coldwar period? NEVER give in to terrorisme! You punish 500 million persons or maybe even more, while only 20 arabs attacked your country.....

Sabena332

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:24 am

I think I made someone angry because I received a topic related eMail  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Patrick

ACES320

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:33 am

I would not be complaining that much. We, Colombians, have been finger printed, photographed and treated like criminals for more than 3 decades in US airports, even though I am not and most are not either. It's very pleasant to receive a nice treat when coming to Heathrow, now I know what's the meaning of the world polite.
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

ba1978

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:34 am

It won't bother me, unless I have to queue for ages surrounded by other whinging Brits. Besides every time I've been to the States I've felt like a criminal anyway whilst being interrogated at immigration, now I'll just have inky fingers as well.

The US is a fabulous country to visit, nobody should let themselves be put off by stricter entry controls.
There are other ways and there's British Airways

solnabo

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:40 am

Does Brazil still photograph/fingerprinting US citizens at airports??
Curius!

Michael//SE

ltbewr

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:49 am

Even in the UK, you have (still?) stict policies for air travel between England/Wales/Scotland and the island of Ireland. When I went from JFK to Dublin, Ireland in October 1995 via Birmingham airport (change of a/c), I recall I had to go to a specific gate group which was only for flights to the Rep. of Ireland and Northern Ireland, UK, which had specific and tighter carry on luggage rules, and had to fill out a form with my passport number and other identifying information to a regional police officer.
I am quite sure some in the UK would love to have such a fingerprinting/picture program to include people from many of their Commonwealth countries, to keep out immigrants.
Until the open visa-waiver countries develop more secure passports, there will be a problem and a need for this new procedure. I know it is another security hassle but to me it is to intimindate and possibly capture potential terrorists.
I wonder too, my current USA passport was renewed about a year ago, I know it has a digital photo imbedded in it, and a mag strip for id info, but does it qualify as a new biometric version passport, or can I expect to get fingerprinted and photographed when I enter an EC or other non-visa country?

MontanaFL

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:53 am

To all of our non-American a.net's. As an American citizen, of which I am VERY PROUD to be, I can understand why you are angry at what the US is doing. If the tables were reversed, how would you feel? YES, KL911, it was 19 Arabs that caused all of this, but can you imagine the outbursts if it were only Arabs that were being "profiled?" Americans right now are asking, "If you knew before 9/11, why weren't you doing anything about it?" WHY? WHY? Profiling, that's why. The same people screaming about the government not doing anything would have been the FIRST to scream holy hell at that. They are a bunch of hypocrites. This country has, for the most part, always been at the forefront of stopping tyranny anywhere in the world. At times it has been the wrong thing to do but for the most part, the correct thing to do. I personally believe that the problems in former Yugoslavia is a EUROPEAN problem and NOT a US one. BUT, who did a large majority of the bombing and stationing of troops there and continue to be there? Americans. I do not recall any Europeans screaming because the US was coming over to help. Countries only need US assistance when they DONT want to do things themselves. But the minute we ask for help, their back is turned. YES, I know, there are countries that stood with the US and for that I SALUTE you all. I will one day visit and spend my money in your country. Those that didn't support us - you wont miss my not coming. The US is NOT going to let a group of thugs try and sway our way of life. Unlike some countries - who will regret that decision one day.

Going back to the question at hand, as someone has mentioned already, if you have nothing to hide, don't sweat it. If I go to your country and they request the same of me, I am not going to worry about because I am no terrorist. I believe in what this country stands for and THAT is why we are under attack and we WILL fight back.

But, that's just this Americans two cents. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. No offense was intended.
I miss those DL L-1011's

kl911

Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:59 am

MontanaFL,

We also have attacks in Europe. Remember Madrid? The thing is, even in Spain after those attacks they don't want US citizens fingerprints and photo's.... If you do that you give the terrorists what they want...