Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Horus
Topic Author

Is Taiwan A Country?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:42 am

I want to know is Taiwan an independant country or is it a part China?
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

bobrayner

RE: Is Taiwan A Country?

Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:45 am

I want to know is Taiwan an independant country or is it a part China?

Depends who you ask.

If you ask Beijing, it's a rogue province.

If you ask most other people, it's a country. It looks, acts, smells, and tastes like a country. It has its own government and elections and ministries and institutions.

[Edited 2004-04-24 18:47:21]
Cunning linguist

garnetpalmetto

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:44 am

Well, according to Taiwan (up until some of the pro-independence parties really started making noise), it's the government in exile of mainland China. If you ask the government of the PRC what Taiwan is, they'll say it's a renegade province. So it seems like everyone's in agreeance that Taiwan is a part of China and not an independent nation. My guess though, is that within the next 25 years, Taiwan will attempt to declare its independence, leading to a major showdown in the Straits.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

OD720

Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:52 am

Taiwan is a country. Those nations that do not like to upset China, don't hold OFFICIAL trade with Taiwan. But as soon as relations with China hit an obstacle, they are more than happy to do business with them.

Alessandro

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:28 pm

I´m old enough to remember when Albania was Beijings voice in the UN, nowadays most countries recognize it as the "real" China.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

L-188

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:35 pm

Blame Nixon for that Alessandro.

Prior to that Tawain held China's UN seat
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

csavel

Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:45 pm

As Bobrayner says it is a country every way but officially. Eventually, Taiwan may want to make that official. Since Beijing says that is the line that Taiwan daren't cross, it will be, um, "interesting" to see what happens.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

cba

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:23 am

Taiwan is its own nation, however nobody wants to recognize it because everyone is afraid it will piss of Beijing. I say we ought to recognize the, how pissed off could it really make China, and what would they do? Military action is doubtful, and they need our trade just as much as we need theirs.

Russophile

Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:16 am

Taiwan is no more a country than Turkish-controlled Cyprus is a country. You cannot become a country by simply stealing reserves of another nation, skipping town and setting up your own nation. Even if the new has government and such.

Taiwan, like Macau and Hong Kong, will always be a part of China.

For those who think that Taiwan might declare independence (a suicide move) from China -- there is one factor you are not considering -- pro-China support in Taiwanese armed force is massive -- that is around 75% are pro-China.

Read this a while ago -- makes for some interesting reading -- 2006 is the year to look out for

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FD10Ad02.html

sccutler

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:13 pm

The mere fact that the prior "landlord" does not acknowledge that the former colony is a sovereign nation is not decisive. The USA was independent for decades before the Crown accepted it as reality.

But Taiwan is different, as noted above. They function as a separate government, but not of a nation comprised of Taiwan, but rather, of all of China. Those in power in Beijing beg to differ.

I think when the time comes, the "reunification" will occur with a whimper, rather than a bang.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

keno

Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:57 pm

I came across a good site explaining how the future of China, Taiwan, Tibet, Xinjiang-Uyghur and Inner Mongolia might look like.

http://www.tibet.com/China/fedchina.html

Quoted from Tibet.com :-

Taiwan: 'loose republic'

In the future federal China, 'loose republics' would bear the characteristics of a confederation in terms of their relationship with the federation. They would differ from the existing federal countries in their defence, taxation and legal systems. when the unification of Taiwan and the mainland became a reality, Taiwan would enjoy not only its financial independence, the issuing of its own currency and retention of its own legal system, but could also have its own army. The federal government would set up a federal defence commission to coordinate the armies against invaders.

bobrayner

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:35 am

Taiwan is no more a country than Turkish-controlled Cyprus is a country. You cannot become a country by simply stealing reserves of another nation, skipping town and setting up your own nation. Even if the new has government and such.

Then how did any of today's 200-300 countries originate? Was the world created with hundreds of countries ready-made? No. They were all formed by similar processes to those that you think are illegitimate; the only practical difference between Taiwan and (say) Russia or the USA or Elbonia is that the latter 3 were set up a few years earlier.
Cunning linguist