Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gr325
Topic Author

Have I Got A Virus Or Is XP Going Mad?

Fri May 07, 2004 11:17 pm

Hello,

Wonder if anybody can help me.
Had two people telling me I had sent them a virus, none of my other friends or contacts (a lot) have received anything as far as I know.

Now i have got this link bar new in my iexplore and have no idea where it has come from. It is callen dent idol something. Can't get rid of it, have tried everything.

I have also tried norton, as far as he is concerned my computer is as clean as my rear end  Wink/being sarcastic . But iexplorer keeps crashing if I have more than two windows open. One is working fine but nothing more than that. Have aslo done Ad-Aware and he can't find anything.

HAs anybody got any solutions for me before I have to format the drive, don't really want to do that?

Thanks for your help

Gr 325
ROB

p.s. do you guys get a load of strange emails with virusses latley, when I check my email norton goes mad, obviously I delete them all.
"You should have gone to specsavers"

Zweed

RE: Have I Got A Virus Or Is XP Going Mad?

Fri May 07, 2004 11:56 pm

Probably you got one of those nice spyware programs installed to your explorer. Download a software called Spybot Search & Destroy or ad aware (both are free i think)

and they will solve your problems

groetjes

zweed

PPGMD

Sat May 08, 2004 12:16 am

Download both Ad aware and Spy Bot Search & Destroy and run both.

Make suire that you system is patched up after that too.
At worst, you screw up and die.

iakobos

Sat May 08, 2004 12:29 am

I am in tune with Zweed and PPGMD, Spybot S & D by Patrick Kolla (it was freeware 2-3 months ago but not sure now) and Ad Aware are good spyware.

Never be 100% sure about your anti-virus, I discovered it (again) no later than today, despite having well known soft with daily update.
My PC shut down by itself. I went to mcafee website and run the "free scan".
Virus found, problem solved.

To block all the pop-ups in your browser, try google toolbar, it is both functional and has a well working pop-up blocker feature.

Goede avond

flyingbronco05

Sat May 08, 2004 1:54 am

What is with these "i have a computer problem" posts?!?!

If you have a problem, download adaware and a virus scanner. That should take care of it.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Zweed

Sat May 08, 2004 1:58 am

Or you ask here and see if there's a friendly soul who wants to help.

Why did you even take yourself time to write that stupid post, flyingbronco?

Leskova

Sat May 08, 2004 2:39 am

Actually, the problem of eMails being sent around with viruses in them is beyond the point where it can actually be solved by software on your computer...

I've received dozens of eMails from two of my own old eMail-addresses, both addresses of which I am 100% sure that there is no way that an eMail could have been sent out by me... in one case it is from my account of the company of which I was co-owner (and no-one else in the company has my name, and I personally deleted my account on my last day there).

Additionally, I have even received eMails from another one of my accounts that I have not used in more than 4 months now - and I received the last one of those just two weeks ago: the reason I know that this could not have been sent by me? I still own the domain, but there are no eMail-accounts configured on it - absolutely none.

Both of these addresses (and a few others that I know of) have been mis-used by spam-senders, some of them including viruses in these messages...

So just because someone gets an eMail with a virus showing your address as sender does not necessarily mean that it actually came from your computer. It is, unfortunately, easy enough to make an eMail look as if it came from someone else.

Regards,
Frank

P.S.: So, in regards to your question - you might not have a virus, XP might not even be going mad... someone's just mis-using your address.
Smile - it confuses people!

iakobos

Sat May 08, 2004 2:42 am

...sorry for the duplicated post...

Bronco probably never needed help with his PC I guess...good for him.

Zweed, just in case you did not know: if you use Outlook or Outlook Express delete the "automatically preview pane" function, and delete immediately all messages showing a dubious address or subject.

gr325
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 3:01 am

Hello guys, thanks for that,

Actually I have got ad aware installed and runned it, nothing found ref that stupid link bar. Going to try the other one as well.

@frank that sounds like that is happening to me, somebody missusing my address, the muppets.

OK thanks for your help that cleared a lot, let's hope I get rid of it cause it is bloody anoying, got google bar, fantastic, blocks pop ups and so.

Gr325

F9Widebody

Sat May 08, 2004 6:09 am

Just had some problems recently on a friends computer, they are called Hijacks and much harder to get rid of than simple syware - neither Ad-aware or Spybot did the trick. If neither of those work (which I suspect they will not =( ), go download this program and extract it to C:/HJT:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/files/hijackthis.zip

Run the program and do not delete anything it finds, much of it is real stuff. Instead, save a log in a txt file and post that log in this forum asking for help:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Someone will tell you which ones on the log to delete, and you should be good to go. ^^

That is what I had to do =(. Again, though, only do this if neither of the other two do not. (Also, just double check your add/remove programs to make sure the toolbar is not there)

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

Arcano

Sat May 08, 2004 3:24 pm

GR325 and Iakobos

Actually, emails don't count anymore. The last mass virus attack last week was contagious just by been connected to the internet.
The wisest thing to do is download XP patches and turn on the firewall XP already brings (but it's disconnected by default)

Saludos, )(Arcano
in order: 721,146,732,763,722,343,733,320,772,319,752,321,88,83,744,332,100,738, 333, 318, 77W, 78, 773, 380, 73G, 788, 789, 346

Leskova

Sat May 08, 2004 5:03 pm

Just to follow up on that... I just received another eMail from my deleted and, thus, nonexistant account: it had the NetSky-virus (or is that a worm? or, does it even matter if it's a worm or virus) in it...

It is annoying, but at least I can prove 100% that I've got nothing to do with it, and so can my former company...

Plain and simple eMail-address-hijacking...

gr325
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 5:26 pm

Thanx F9widebody goin to try it straight away.

Why do other people have to make it difficult for everyone else.

GR325

Leskova

Sat May 08, 2004 7:13 pm

Gr325, I guess it's a combination of "because they can" and "other people have better computers than I do - and I don't want them to be able to enjoy that"...

It's annoying as hell - within the last three days, I've received no less than 15 eMails containing the Netsky-Virus... caught by Norton each time, but still... who knows what get's through without you noticing it... and that might just ruin important data...

Regards,
Frank

5T6

Sat May 08, 2004 9:44 pm

Just as a suggestion for those that run Norton AntiVirus - - sign up for the automatic updates (costs roughly US$20 per year). The updates are done daily when you connect to the internet and run in the background.

Also, the suggestions to install and run AdAware and SpyBot are excellant ones!! BUT you do need to use both. I've had many situations where one or the other did not catch something that the other one did.

Regards,

Mike
I see my Cats as Companions. My Cats see Me as Furniture!

bobrayner

Sun May 09, 2004 2:56 am

If anybody gets a virus-infected email that appears to be from your email address, the chance that it actually came from you is extremely small.

All the recent mass-mailers have spoofed source addresses; usually using the same sources (any address list they find on your computer) that they use for the destination address.

Example: Virus infects Anne's computer. The virus finds Brian and Charles in Anne's address book; so it forges an email to Charles that appears to be from Brian. If they both know Anne, it's likely that Brian and Charles know each other. If Charles recognise that it's a virus and decides to complain, he'll reply to Brian - nobody will suspect Anne.

This helps the virus spread, because people are more trusting when reading emails from people in their peer group.

[Edited 2004-05-08 20:00:31]
Cunning linguist

gr325
Topic Author

Sun May 09, 2004 10:22 pm

I't is a clever way of doing it.

Glad they got the sassre bloke nicked.
Wonder how long he is going to get.

Gr325

zak

Sun May 09, 2004 10:35 pm

a few things to keep in mind when you can not persuade yourself to use a good o/s and want to keep windoooze:

alternatives listed surpass "do not use" products in usability, features and security

- do not use internet explorer, ever (alternative: mozilla firefox, free, opera (~20$ or free with small adbar))
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
http://www.opera.com/

- do not use outlook express or normal outlook, ever (alternatives: thebat (35$),pegasus mail(free) )
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/
http://www.pmail.com/downloads.htm

- do not use windows media player, ever (alternatives: video lan player vlc (free), media player classic MPC(free)
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

- do not use ANY norton product. they slow down your system, have bad performance and make the user think its system is safe due to wizards and automation. (alternatives: for tools specialized tools are available better then any norton product in their field, often free, ask for specifics. for anti virus, f-prot is the best payware scanner, while for most people, freeav.com provides a GREAT, constantly updated anti virus software)
http://www.freeav.com/

- if you need a firewall(everyone should use one!), your best choice is using that old 486 with fli4l, a single floppy sized linux based router/firewall which is totally free. if you want a "software firewall", use agnitum outpost(free in non pro version)
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fli4l/
http://www.agnitum.com/download/

10=2

Zweed

Sun May 09, 2004 10:42 pm

Thanks Zak, I have been on the search for a long time for another email software

hawaiian717

Mon May 10, 2004 7:26 am

Mozilla offers a couple of email options as well. One is to use the Mozilla suite, which gives you web browser and email in one application. Another option is to use Mozilla Thunderbird, which is a standalone email program. I use Thunderbird.

http://www.mozilla.org

David / MRY

UN_B732

Mon May 10, 2004 10:07 am

Don't they spoof addresses via non-passworded SMTP servers?
Like they used [email protected] for example; an address that never existed
What now?

UN_B732

Mon May 10, 2004 10:08 am

Don't they spoof addresses via non-passworded SMTP servers?
Like they used [email protected] for example; an address that never existed
What now?

F9Widebody

Mon May 10, 2004 10:15 am

Gr325, did your problem get fixed?

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

fspilot747

Mon May 10, 2004 11:07 am

"What is with these "i have a computer problem" posts?!?!

If you have a problem, download adaware and a virus scanner. That should take care of it."

This coming from the same guy who posted this: https://www.airliners.net/discussions/site_related/read.main/15047

Clearly, he didn't know exactly what the problem was which is why he posted it. Don't be so quick to piss on people.

FSP

[Edited 2004-05-10 04:09:22]

gr325
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 3:31 pm

@F9Widebody, I downloaded Hijack This and posted the log in that forum, checked this morning and had a reply, no have to wait till I get home to get it fixed. There was not to much spyware by the looks of things, prob cause I run ad aware nearly everyday now just in case.
Haven't tried the problem with moren that 2 Iexploren windows yet, doing that later as well as soon as I finish work.

And I agree with FSP  Wink/being sarcastic