Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

will
Topic Author

Ground Zero NYC

Sat May 08, 2004 5:26 am

G’day All,

I’m in the process of finalising my trip to New York this weekend. I will be arriving in NYC on the 24th and I plan to stay for a day or so before I hire a car and drive through to Boston, Bangor Maine and then to Halifax.

I was thinking about making a visit to the World Trade Centre (Ground Zero) to pay my respects and to get a gauge of the size of the tragedy.

I’m wondering how easy it is to get a view of the site? Is it all barricaded up now or can you view or access the area? Are there some memorials that are near by to also visit?

Any Suggestions or Advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Kind Regards,

Will…

prosa

RE: Ground Zero NYC

Sat May 08, 2004 5:35 am

It's easily visible from different spots. The east side of the site, along Church Street, is probably the best vantage point. There are informational displays and a list of the names of the dead.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

CPH-R

Sat May 08, 2004 5:58 am

One thing I would advise you to, is to bring a barf bag - because once you see how many tasteless souvenirs are being sold around the place, you're gonna need one.

And I'm not kidding.

Leezyjet

Sat May 08, 2004 6:45 am

The best place I found to view it was from the little glass bridge that goes accross to the financial centre, as the rest of the site has a huge metal fence around that is difficult to see through.

There are security guards on the bridge (or there were) but they are friendly enough and even let me and my Dad go through the barrier to get a better picture.

Last time I was there there, just before the entrance to the bridge, there was a black guy who used to be a security guard in the WTC giving a little talk about his personal experience on that fateful day. He also had some pictures too. He doesn't charge to listen, but merely takes donations. I only caught the last couple of minutes of his talk, but it sounded like it had been worth listening to.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

backfire

Sat May 08, 2004 7:07 am

...and to get a gauge of the size of the tragedy

I think the best way to grasp the enormity is to have visited the World Trade Centre before September 11, and seen the sheer scale of the buildings that once stood there.

rjpieces

Sat May 08, 2004 9:45 am

Will, feel free to email me and I will give you suggestions for where to go down there. I go to school 4 blocks away and pass Ground Zero every day.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

NoUFO

Sat May 08, 2004 9:57 am

They sell souvenirs at Ground Zero??? How tasteless and offensive!  Angry
I should have known better ...
I support the right to arm bears

prosa

Sat May 08, 2004 11:23 am

While there still are some souvenir sellers, their numbers have dwindled considerably over the past year or so. Mostly they sell stuff like pictures of the towers, picture books showing the attacks, other stuff like caps and flags. There also are the food vendors that can be found anywhere that large groups gather.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

JAL777

Sat May 08, 2004 11:29 am

Ugh... you guys should have seen some of the junk they were selling over there. Their numbers have died down... mostly because no one wants a "I Visited Ground Zero" t-shirt. It's mostly books and photographs now, which is tasteful.

CPH-R

Sat May 08, 2004 12:36 pm

It was really bad when I visited in October 2002 - they were lined up just about all the way around the church that stands right next to ground zero. Plus, stuff like postcards with the attacks were available in most of the city - though I just HAD to send my mother the sugar coated "America The Beatiful" postcard, which had kitch written all over it Big grin

STT757

Sun May 09, 2004 1:15 am

The vendors are not on Port Authority Property, World Trade Center Property. They are allowed to sell the tasteless memorabila across the street from the Site.

As for the site itself, a couple months ago the Port Authority restored PATH service to the World Trade Center. The World Trade Center was built in the early 1970s above a major Commuter rail terminal that connects with New Jersey.

You can now go right down into the Trade Center site itself via the rail station, it's huge platforms offer unobstructed views from ground level. If you ride the PATH train it takes you right across the bottom of the site with unobstructed views, different perspective of looking up from the bottom of the "pit".

The PATH fare costs $1.50, I would highly recomend a ride to see it from the ground level. Take a ride to Hoboken NJ which is two stops away, there are fantastic views of the Manhattan skyline from Frank Sinatra Park in Hoboken. Plus Hoboken is a young well to do town full of mostly 20/30 somethings who are recent college grads and work in Manhattan, the restaraunts along Washington street all have outdoor cafes and some of the best bars/clubs in the Tri-State area are in Hoboken.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

bigphilnyc

Sun May 09, 2004 1:32 am

I was going to say what STT757 said, about being able to actually go INTO the pit but menas of the PATH train. I think taking it one stop to New Jersey and back is worth the trip.

It's a temporary station, but they did a nice job. Lots of nice decorations that say nice thigns about NYC.

Even going to the site, it's tough to ever really TRULY comprehend the magnitude of what happened. You look up to the sky and it's tough to tell just how high the buildings were.

Look at picture of the surrounding buildings witht he towers fomr before 9/11. Then stand at the bottom and realize how tall the remaining buildings are, and how much TALLER the towers were.

Looking up to that empty blue sky is the test of your imagination when trying to comprehend what really went on there.

Have a nice stay in NYC,

-Phil
Phil Derner Jr.

cedarjet

Sun May 09, 2004 1:42 am

I visited in October 03 to pay respects to my friend who was lost in the disaster and everyone else who was lost. I had been past the buildings many times and indeed to the top of the north tower back in 91. Now it is impossible to imagine that those huge buildings ever stood there. It's just empty space. Very strange. Names of the deceased are on metal plaques, a lot like the Viet Nam Memorial in DC. There were a couple of guys with trestle tables selling photos and books but very few and no-one was buying.

Definitely worth visiting and remembering all the lives lost.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

STT757

Sun May 09, 2004 1:54 am

New York Times Audio/Slide Show of the re-opening of the "temporary" PATH station at the World Trade Center..

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20031123_PATH

NYCSubway.org/subtalk's pictures of the World Trade Center PATH Station..

http://www.nycsubway.org/nyc/path/path-wtc.html

The permenant World Trade Center PATH station will be built by 2007, it's been designed by Spanish Architect Santiago Calatrava.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/wtc/nyc-transitpix,0,1519372.photogallery?coll=nyc-topheadlines-span

http://www.pathrestoration.com

http://downtownexpress.com/de_37/wtctrainstation.html

The Port Authority is also going to extend service on the World Trade Center PATH line from Downtown Newark to Newark Airport (EWR), that should be complete by '09.

[Edited 2004-05-08 18:55:10]
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

EMBQA

Sun May 09, 2004 10:00 am

Not trying to sound bitter or cold, I guess I don't get the whole 'Ground Zero' thing. More Americans died at Gettysburg by nearly 80X and hardly anyone batted an eye a few years back when someone wanted to build a Theme Park there. Also, if you think about it......nearly 30% of the people killed that day went INTO THE building......!! The men and woman of the FDNY, NYPD and Port Authority truly gave the most that dreadful day.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

flyboy36y

Sun May 09, 2004 10:06 am

I work in the tourism industry, and I only see Asian tourists buying those "I WENT TO GROUND ZERO" type crap shirts....

cancidas

Sun May 09, 2004 11:02 am

More Americans died at Gettysburg by nearly 80X and hardly anyone batted an eye a few years back when someone wanted to build a Theme Park there.

yes, but people around now lived through 09-11. they didn't so for gettysburg, they only learned about it in school. that's the reason.

The men and woman of the FDNY, NYPD and Port Authority truly gave the most that dreadful day.

unfortunately we did.  Crying
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Brick

Mon May 10, 2004 2:33 am

Was just at ground zero on Tuesday. Take the "E" line to the World Trade Center stop. It's lets you off just a block or two from the site.

There's not much to see now. There's a fence up around the entire site, but for most of its length you can't see through it. The parts you can see through there isn't much to look at anymore. It all looks like a big construction site. All but 3 of the adjacent buildings have been repaired. The Duetch Bank building (sorry I don't know how to spell it) has been gutted. The apartment building that was right next to it is still in bad shape. Other than that you can't see hardly any signs that something truely horrible happened there.

The last time I was there was July 2002 and the site was much different. Back then, there were vendors and memorials everywhere. Today there were a few vendors, but they're not letting anyone leave stuff anymore at the fence. Back then, there was still a little bit of debris left to move. Now, everything is gone of course and there are a lot of temporary buildings right the in the middle of the site.

I'm not saying it isn't worth a visit. It's just that there's not much to see there anymore.

Mark Abbott
Denver, CO
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...