Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airxliban
Topic Author

I Am Pissed Off

Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:50 am

Euro 2004 is a major sporting event the world at the moment, yet it is not showing on any channel in the US, at least that I can see. Out of the 100 channels that I have, not even 1 is showing it.

Instead, they're showing surfing and baseball as well as USA-Grenada! How atrocious.

I dont have a digital receiver so I don't have payperview, otherwise I would pay for it.

Now England France is going on and I can't think of anything I'd like to do more than watch it and I can't!
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

GDB

RE: I Am Pissed Off

Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:57 am

Hey, you've got the 'World Series' (US and what, Canada too maybe?)

jutes85

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:03 am

Here in Canada they are broadcasting all the games. Try to find TSN (The Sports Network), its a Canadian network, they have all the games. No one cares about Football in the US, they rather watch 30 cars go around in a circle for 3 hours.
nothing

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:10 am

The game so far is really good.
 Smile

Very fast with great combinations.

The English jerseys are hideous though!
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Leezyjet

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:11 am

Being pissed off sure beats being pissed on !!!!

Laugh out loud
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:18 am

Ushermittwoch, a really good game? Pleez, it's boring as hell, no shots at goal, only defensive work!

And, as for the hideous prize, I'll have to disagree with you pal, I think that the French socks win hands down!  Big grin

Jkw777

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:25 am

FRA 0 - 1 ENG!!!!!!!!

GET IN Big grin Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Justin  Smile
[email protected] or +447751242989

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:25 am

PU, now you can really start complaining!
 Big grin

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:28 am

Usher:

I stand corrected. There was definitely NO defensive work from the frogs there!  Big grin

On the other hand I'm not the best placed to criticize France's defense... my national squad got annihilated 5-0 against the Colombians. Big grin

mdsh00

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:29 am

"Euro 2004 is a major sporting event the world at the moment, yet it is not showing on any channel in the US, at least that I can see. Out of the 100 channels that I have, not even 1 is showing it.

You have to realize first off that soccer (football) is not a widely popular sport in the US. Major TV networks, guided by ratings, know that viewership will be low, and therefore they will lose a lot of money. Therefore it's better to put these games on Pay-per-view. The satellite companies make money off of these by offering the games to only those that want to see it. It's a quite simple explanation.

Maybe there is a local sports bar you can go to? ESPN zone here in Los Angeles has almost every type of sport playing on its screens.

dl757md

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:35 am

I do have to admit sports coverage in europe kicks ass! Few if any commercials, a lot less irrelevant commentary, and hardly any boring athlete bios or special interest stories.
Euro sports broadcasting......Bring on the ACTION!
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

VectorVictor

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:40 am

The big, bad evil Fox Corp. via its Fox Sports World channel is showing many Euro 2004 games in the USA.

http://www.foxsportsworld.com/content/view?contentId=920998

CPH-R

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:43 am

...lot less irrelevant commentary...

Not sure if most of us would agree on that  Laugh out loud

Though I have to admit that Radio Le Mans sure kicks rear end, since they seem to know what they're talking about,

racko

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:45 am

Everything going fine so far.

French moral is down, and England won't win the cup anyway.

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:48 am

DI, you are correct.

But only in parts.
I would be very happy to get US style coverage, if you could only get to see some good old NCAA football!
That (and since the SuperBowl is only on pay-per-view) are the two things on US television I can barely live without.
 Smile

artsyman

Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:04 am

Direct tv is showing every single game here in the USA

j

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:40 am

What a great game (see PU151, I told you so  Big thumbs up)!

Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:44 am

Well, I wouldn't brand it great, but I'll give it to you that it was crazy (no, seriously, I admit my defeat Usher  Big thumbs up, it ended up being a pretty good game).

AirxLiban, cheer up! You're not the only one pissed off anymore!

CedarWings

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:03 am

Airx,

Try to ask for Al-jazeera Sport. It is not digital.

If you need the coordinance I can send it to you.

I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth

martinairyyz

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:07 am

they rather watch 30 cars go around in a circle for 3 hours.

Different people like different things.... move to outside of USehh if you want to watch football. Watching people die and get bored are not my type of sports either...... Here its showing every match for free on TSN or you can pay $180US for the whole thing on PPV if you stay in USehh
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

mdsh00

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:45 am

Oh yes, I forgot that NASCAR is our most favorte sport behind football, baseball, and basketball.  Yeah sure

electraBob

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:33 am

No one cares about Football in the US, they rather watch 30 cars go around in a circle for 3 hours.

Well, I spent a good part of my Sunday afternoon watching 43 cars go around a triangular shaped racetrack. Pocono (Pennsylvania) Raceway is probably the strangest track on the NASCAR circuit...none of the three turns have the same radius......none of the three straight-aways are the same length. Actually, 43 cars started the race...not all finished the 500 miles.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:37 am

The fact that nearly all US folk like US football and nearly all Europeans like real football suggests that the preference is environmental and not genetic.

Alpha 1

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:41 am

The fact that nearly all US folk like US football and nearly all Europeans like real football suggests that the preference is environmental and not genetic.

The preference is we like exciting, fast-paced "football", not the zzzzz machine that soccer normally is.  Wink/being sarcastic

ushermittwoch

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:46 am

If Americans would understand the fine aspects of sports, then they would think differently.
I have yet to see any North American athlete, besides Wayne Gretzky, to show some real skills on the ball/puck.

Blackbird1331

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:46 am

The US is the land of the free, at least when I last checked, we watch what we want to watch, show what we want to show and have our personal choices as to what sports we enjoy. Personally, I was laying a new kitchen floor so I do not know what sports was on the television. Stay pissed. It might be one of your fondest memories.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:50 am

The preference is we like exciting, fast-paced "football", not the zzzzz machine that soccer normally is

you obviously just missed the England Vrs France game then

ZKSUJ

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:01 am

They aern't showing it here in NZ as well unless you have SKY TV (kind of like cableTV). I'n not too bothered though as I don't think that most of New Zealand are, some don't even know what Euro 2000 is.
It's rugby seson here and the International season has just kicked off for us last weekend with New Zealand beating England (the world champions) 36 points to 3. So no big loss down here, but sad to hear that you can't get it in the USA.

SUJ

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:03 am

ahh well at least we won the cricket.

JAL777

Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:06 am

If Americans would understand the fine aspects of sports, then they would think differently.
I have yet to see any North American athlete, besides Wayne Gretzky, to show some real skills on the ball/puck.

We apologize for not being as cultured as you. However, since the United States currently ranks 9th worldwide in soccer/football, I suppose the likes of countries like Italy, Portugal, Denmark, and Ireland must also suffer from lack of talent. Congratulations on your arrogance.

P.S. Germany ranks 8th.

CaptOveur

Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:37 pm

speak for yourself.. I would rather watch a Ferrari led 20 car processional any day of the week.. However, with American cable TV being ass-backwards I can get a replay of the NASCAR race any day any time during the week but I need to pay considerably more per month to see real racing.

As for soccer, I tried watching it.. but found it hard to stay focused and kept channel surfing, all it looks like to me are a bunch of different colored dots chasing a ball around a huge field. I even tried womens soccer... that is even worse since they move slower and SOME of them took a serious beating from the fugly stick.

I'll stick to baseball
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MEA310

Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:23 pm

France is incredibly lucky!!
I went to sleep last night with 20mins of playing to go,the English team seemed to cope with the French's attempts to equalize,& I wake up this morning with France winning 2-1! Remembers me of the Euro 2000 finals when France beat Italy in a similar way...

AirxLiban

We have every single game broadcasted by LBC,sure for free!

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

ZKSUJ

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:52 pm

Yeah yeah yeah, the cricket. It's winter here so I guess the Black caps are kind of on vacation.  Big grin

SUJ

Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:55 pm

well its summer here so the same can be said for the rugby!

ZKSUJ

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:43 pm

Roberta:
that's a bloody good point, but you guys are world champs, so.........
Oh well,there's still a few games left. We don't get the cricket on TV here as well.

SUJ

Banco

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:00 pm

I'm still amazed that Pacificjourney hasn't been on to rub the rugby result in! Big grin

New Zealand were superb, England woeful. I don't want to make excuses, but the England players have now being turning out non-stop for nearly two years. They look knackered. Still, even a fresh England side might have struggled to compete on that display.

Back to the footie, it isn't a European thing, it's a global thing. Football is the first choice sport just about everywhere; it is pretty much only the US and to a lesser degree Canada in terms of major nations that is not bothered.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:13 pm

Wholeheartedly agree Banco. New Zealand proved who really are the World Champions at Rugby  Big grin  Big thumbs up
Go All Blacks!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

ZKSUJ

Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:55 am

Banco:
I know what you mean about them playing 2 years straight. In NZ they start training for super 12 in Januray and the finish NPC in November (if the All Blacks go on tour it's usually in Nov or Dec) so thechnically the top players only get a few weeks off a year.
Yes the AB's played well (and I'm poroud of it), but if you look at the England side , they are not too bad either. And besides, all your RWC players have retired haven't they? Something like 10 experienced players gone Big grin It may be just inexperience.

SUJ

Banco

Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:42 am

Well, England had the autumn internationals in late 2002, then straight into the demostic season, the Six Nations in the middle of that, then a tour of New Zealand and Australia, then the world cup build up, then the world cup, then straight back into the domestic action, then the Six Nations, then back to domestic rugby and now on a tour of New Zealand Australia.

They've had no break whatsoever since summer 2002. That's why they're so knackered, and why so many players opted out of the tour.

They need a rest, particularly now. It was noticeable that the playing standards of the international players dropped substantially during the last domestic season too.

But as I say, I don't want to make that as an excuse - I thought New Zealand were outstanding.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.