Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CometII
Topic Author

Puerto Rico Humiliates USA In First Half

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:55 am

Lead the 'Nightmare' team by 22...

I don't care if they win this game, it's a total disgrace.

fraT

RE: Puerto Rico Humiliates USA In First Half

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:52 am

The final result is 73:92. What a blowout. I don't think Puerto Rico will make it to the Semis, what will happen against stronger teams. I'm just watching the game. The USA team plays no defense and logs turnover after turnover. They should start taking this tournament serious and Larry Brown should think of some plays against a zone defense which all the teams will play against them.

BTW. Argentina beats Serbia on a last second circus shot by Manu Ginobili.

dan2002

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:40 am

I saw, total disgrace is right. I turned on the indians game and then the USA-AUS volleyball game after seeing that score, around the last 2 min of the 4th quater is when I turned it off.

-Dan

jutes85

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:09 am

Its no surprise. When you have multi-millionaires playing for something that probably means absolutely nothing to them.

ushermittwoch

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:17 am

Well, if you look at who is playing, are you surprised?
Out of the team only two-three players deserve to represent the US.

I guess that Serbia will, regardless of today, win it all.

Derico

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:53 am

I hope you have to eat your words ushermittwoch...  Wink/being sarcastic (nothing personal)

I hope Argentina medals gold, it would be dissapoiting if they don't. But the win today was spectacular. The best basketball game I've seen in a long time.
(sorry Serbia for this week: 83-82 in basketball, 6-0 football) Big grin

cptkrell

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:57 am

Such is sometimes the result of politics and dollars, I suppose. I'm glad the NASCAR roadrace @ Watkins Glen was on the other TV at the saloon. It was more interesting, although I kept a sharp eye on the last half of USAvsPR. All previous posts I am in agreement with, but to add, perhaps, that the NBA (if it survives for much longer without destructing from the inside) might consider courting a LOT of Puerto Rican guys in the future. I thought Arroyo (sp?) was fabulous. It will be interesting to see (and tabulate individual/team performances) who wins the medals. Who sez 'white men can't jump' ?  Smile Regards...Jack

ConcordeBoy

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:58 am

When you have multi-millionaires playing for something that probably means absolutely nothing to them.

A rather lame assessment, not to mention the fact that wouldn't explain the real Dream Teams' flawlessly undefeated record '92-'00.

ILOVEA340

ConcordeBOy

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:36 am

do however keep in mind that the 92 games were far different from today. Dream team 1 had a sense of pride to play for the USA, it was the first time professionals were playing and the whole country was behind them. They won each game by scoring an average of 117 points (unheard of in 40min BBall). WHat saved the 96 team was the fact that they were playing at "home" and quite a bit of the luster carried over, by 2000 it was already getting a little hairy, a couple of those games were quite close.
Basicly what we have seen over the past 12 years is 2 things,
1) A decrease of motivation and support for our international team. This can also be seen by the fact that the US team was created just weeks before the games where as many other countries have had their teams set up for months if not years, and yes they do hae professional players with sceduals too.
2) An amazing increase in the quality of play from the whole world, it is basicly safe to say that they have caught up with the USA. Keep in mind SCG is playing without its two stars Divac and Peja yet we have already seen that they can hold there own against the USA (yes they did lose but it was quite a performance on their part).

ushermittwoch

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:47 am

Oh, Peja and Vlade aren't playing, well I might have to revise then...
 Big grin

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:31 am

Reading what some of you say, I have to shake my head.

It isn't for lack of talent on the U.S. team-they have more talent on that team than anyone. But 1. That "team" has only played together 7 games, and 2. With one or two exceptions, none of them have every played international rules before, and, trust me, International rules is different than the NBA.

To play the international game requires a discipline that you won't get by throwing together a team who play American rules, and, a month later, expect them to dominate-not anymore-not when the rest of the world has more talent than it's ever had.

The U.S. has to put a team togther right when the NBA season ends, not in Mid-July next time. The days are over when the U.S. team can use just God-given ability to win. The rest of the world has caught up.

JeffM

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:02 am

"..and, trust me, International rules is different than the NBA.."

Wow, I didn't know you had so much exprerience playing in the NBA? Or with international rules Basketball.... Is there time to fit a quick game or two in between stints at the ticket counter? Or do they give you a few days off for training every now and then?

Oh wait, you watch ESPN and stay at the Holiday Inn Express........

pacificjourney

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:11 am

Are you, Jeff, mensturating at this time ?

Bitchy, bitchy, bitchy .....

I can't agree though Alpha1. None of the international teams plays together that often, certainly no more than the US team. They all have jobs and other commitments as well.

The problem is (A) egos and (B) as you say, international rules. The NBA crerating a new sport to supposedly look better. Looks pretty shabby now !

deltaownsall

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:38 am

I definetely would not say that the rest of the world has 'caught up' as of yet, considering that the United States still has by far the most talented and athletic players...although the other countries are 'catching up' in terms of the teams that they are fielding, in that they are actual 'teams' and not just a bunch of young all-stars that were thrown together a few weeks before the start of the games as more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:46 am

I can't agree though Alpha1. None of the international teams plays together that often, certainly no more than the US team. They all have jobs and other commitments as well.

Maybe, however, they DO play on the same team a lot for international tournaments, and-and this is key-they are always playing under the stricter rules of International play, that just doesn't exist in the U.S. They know the rules inside and out; they know how "traveling" is called internationally, which is nothing like the perversion that the NBA and the NCAA has now. The rules, the pace, the whole structure and pace of the game, is different. If you take a bunch of guys who have never played international rules, and have only been together 6 weeks, that's a hell of a lot tougher than putting together a team that knows the nuances of the game played in the Olympics, and has experience with it.

It isn't a matter of talent; it's a matter of becoming a team (which is hard to do in a month), and understanding how different the game is from the one played at home.

I definetely would not say that the rest of the world has 'caught up' as of yet, considering that the United States still has by far the most talented and athletic players.

God-given talent, perhaps, but the players coming out of Europe, and, even South America now, are, fundamentally, far superior to the players coming up in the U.S. The U.S. players, thanks to the "SportsCenter Syndrome", are only interested in monster slam-dunks, and getting their face on at 11pm. They've forgotten how to move without the ball; they have, for the most part, have forgotten how to pass; they've forgotten how to dribble properly (you see most guys in the NCAA and the NBA palm the ball on every dribble now); they've forgotten the importance of free-throw shooting; they've lost the art of the jump shot (which is killing them in this warm-up to the medals round).

They have the pure talent and athleticism, but they've lost the art of the fundamentals, which is why the rest of the world is challenging them now.

L-188

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:55 am

I would suggest that US Basketball's organizers would do well to rent a copy of "Miracle"

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:01 am

"Miracle" isn't what they need: the U.S. needs to start playing the International game, and all the time.. If they did, they'd win with college players once again.

Derico

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:57 am

Quote by Ushermittwoch #9:

"...Oh, Peja and Vlade aren't playing, well I might have to revise then... "

You better.  Smile

Argentina gold in basketball is great, but like the USA with men's basketball, the disgrace would really be not winning in men's football... then riots might break out.

About the USA losing: I've always thought that the constant striving of American leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB) to tweak the rules to get higher scoring is silly, and now you are seeing the results. Basketball rules should be unified and not have three different set of rules for the NBA, NCAA and the Olympics.

Having different rules may be a valid reason for a loss, but you can't say you are the world's best if you don't win. The USA team has plenty of chances to regroup though, it was only one game and now that the 'streak' no longer exists it might losen them up and actually in the long run might benefit the team.

learpilot

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:09 am

As much as I want to see the USA come away with as many gold medals as possible, it would give me no bigger pleasure than to see that jagoff Allen Iverson be sent home early with his tail between his legs. Maybe he can come home early and move his car out of the handicapped spot he left it in at the PHL airport.

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:22 am

About the USA losing: I've always thought that the constant striving of American leagues (NFL, NBA, MLB) to tweak the rules to get higher scoring is silly

Then you don't watch the NBA. Scoring has dropped dramatically in the last decade, simply for the reasons I've stated-lack of fundamentals, and half the players not being able to drain an 18-foot jumpshot.

Jj

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 am

This thing of the US loosing is nothing new. If you remember, in the last basketball world cup (held in Indianapolis), team USA lost (if I remember correctly), three consecutive games against Argentina, Yougoslavia and Spain. So, it's not surprising at all (at least to me) that they lost against Puerto Rico. And the main reason for the loss, is that Puerto Rico played like a team, not a bunch of players (who are not even the best in the NBA right now!) who have almost never played together.

I think it's good that the US lost this game. Perhaps now they'll begin to take their oponents more seriously. I still think, though, that the US, Serbia and Argentina will win the medals (don't know in what order). And speaking of Argentina, everyone seems to be pleased with the performance, but we should'n forget that the team blew a 10 point halftime lead, and only won with a miracle buzzer beeter, against a Serbia without Vlade and Peja...

Derico

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:27 am

You are correcting me on the incorrect issue Alpha1. Scoring has dropped which has prompted the NBA to make rules. I only said that the rules are constantly tweaked, not that scoring had increased.

Derico

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:31 am

Yeah, the lead was blown, but in a way it showed the team can reverse that adversity and win, somehow. I think that's a good sign. Admitedly Serbia missed key freethrows at the end, but that's part of the game:

Like the saying goes, you've got to drop them in or you'll get dropped out.

For my tastes, I wan't the ladies to win in field hockey though, even more than anyone else.

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:38 am

You are correcting me on the incorrect issue Alpha1. Scoring has dropped which has prompted the NBA to make rules. I only said that the rules are constantly tweaked, not that scoring had increased.

The NBA has not tweaked any rules recently to increase scoring. Not a one. And scoring continues to flatline or fall. IT goes back to the fact that players aren't as fundamentally sound as they once were, and can't shoot the way they used to. It has nothing to do with tweaking any rules.

fraT

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:28 pm

AS I have said before after the blowout loss against Italy, the dream team is missing some dead eye shooters. Against Puerto Rico they shot 3 from 24 from 3-point range. It has been the same in the preparation games. That makes it easier for the opponents to play a zone defense.
All these kids can jump and make great looking slam dunks but they are shooting so poorly from 10 feet away from the basket. USA Basketball should have selected some players who are proven shooters but don't play this ESPN sportscenter style.

Andreas

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:39 pm

Well, be that as it may...different rules, jet lag, too many hamburgers for lunch...whatever.

Fact is: if you run around searching for microphones and telling the whole world that you are going to smash every poor slob that dares to stand in your way to eternal victory and greatness and what not...well, I suppose you deserve to get your ass kicked FOR GOOD!!!

Thank you Puerto Rico!

TSV

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:02 am

Name changed needed from "The Dream Team" to "Ya Dreamin Team".

CactusA319

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:28 am

The US lost because:

1) This is a team of B-list NBA superstars (with the exception of Iverson, Lebron and Duncan) thrown together in mid-June to compete under international rules in August. As mentioned earlier, none of these players has much, if any, experience playing under inernational basketball rules.

2) The rest of the A-list NBA superstars (Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, etc.) decided to stay home. Key skill players that might have been able to help the US out, like Mike Bibby, decided to stay home as well.

2) These players can't hit an outside jumper to save their lives. All they know how to do is drive the lane and dunk. Take that away from them, as Puerto Rico did, and they're toast.

3) This latest incarnation of "The Dream Team" plays like anything but. Again, kind of hard to throw together 12 guys who are "The Man" on their NBA teams and expect them to take a smaller role on the national team. It's especially hard when you only have a couple of months to do it. Until they start playing like a team and not just 12 individuals, you can expect more loses like yesterday's. This Puerto Rican team has competed internationally for the last 4 years. They are a cohesive unit. Team USA is not.