Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757/767
Topic Author

Kerry Responds -- Finally

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:27 pm

Kerry & Co. MUST go on the offensive after the drivel heard at the RNC. This is a good start, from last night. He said:

"You all saw the anger and distortion of the Republican convention," Mr. Kerry said. "For the past week, they attacked my patriotism and even my fitness to serve as commander in chief. Well, here's my answer to them. I will not have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have, by those who misled America into Iraq."

L-188

RE: Kerry Responds -- Finally

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:33 pm

The only person who misled the US into Iraq was Saddam Hussain, by his refusal to follow UN resolutions.

Period end of discussion.

As far as Kerry goes, I will question his commitment to defend the US, My ammo for questioning......His voting record in the senate on defense spending.

go canada!

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:38 pm

Kerrys main weakness is his indecision regarding votes in the senate,Americans like guts and even if you dont fully agree with Bush at least you can say he has the courage of his convictions. Kerry unfortuantely appears to a typical washingston politican say anything do anything for power.

I really wish the Democrats had picked someone with principles.

keesje

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:41 pm

"The only person who misled the US into Iraq was Saddam Hussain, by his refusal to follow UN resolutions"
well the bastard did follow them, but who could believe this man...

Anyway the 40 min WMD's and Al Qaida links were BS. The rest are smoke shields IMO.

IMO the Democrat convention was very moderate & didn't play it hard on the person. After this weeks Rep convention, it will be a different story I guess..

jamesag96

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:42 pm

Kerry's voting record will be his eventual downfall, which is why his campaign is spending so much time on his 4-months in a boat.

You heard he won 3 Purple Hearts right?

L-188

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:43 pm

And a silver star with an unauthorized "V" clasp

go canada!

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:48 pm

Kerry needs to change tactics if he is going to really go into a major lead. He needs to talk more of the future rather than im a tough guy I was in vietnam. It has its place but honestly it is tiring to those even not in the USA I cant begin to imagine how trying it is in the USA to hear the same thing over and over again.

jaysit

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 pm

"Kerry needs to change tactics if he is going to really go into a major lead. He needs to talk more of the future rather than im a tough guy I was in vietnam."

True.
But he needed to finally kick the butts of the 2 lying cowards and their minions of lying cowards who have impugned his service to the country.
And he did.
He has FINALLY shown that he means business and can fight back.
Showing the shallowness and non-achievements of the Bush administration will be easy after this.

Boeing7E7

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:41 pm

"You all saw the anger and distortion of the Republican convention,"

Websters: Anger and Distortion

See Al Gore, Howard Dean and Dennis Kucinich.

So Mr. Kerry.... What's your platform other than "We have a plan?"

Regis

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:53 pm

I don't vote in the US but if I did I would much rather trust the defense of homeland to someone who risked his life for his country by volunteering for two tours of duty in Vietnam than to someone who chose to "serve" his country by flying missions 10,000 miles from the war over the dangerous skies of Texas. Or for that matter to someone who escaped military service altogether via 5 draft deferments. Draft dodgers are unfit for command.

N6376M

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:15 am

When is Kerry going to directly, in plain English and without qualificiation state that the Swift boat ads are 100% false and completely devoid of any truth?

Regis - what's this two tours of duty business? The guys was in country for about 4 months and left using the 3 purple hearts and out exemption.

Insane

Boeing7E7

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:21 am

I don't vote in the US but if I did I would much rather trust the defense of homeland to someone who risked his life for his country by volunteering for two tours of duty in Vietnam than to someone who chose to "serve" his country by flying missions 10,000 miles from the war over the dangerous skies of Texas.

No one questions his service other than a few, however everyone now knows who the asshole was that used his anti-war comments to slap the face of everyone over who had and was still serving in Vietnam in public hearings. Then he has the nads to claim that makes him a better Commander in Chief? A Commander in Chief does not belittle his soldiers. The damning thing about the swift boats wasn't his awards, what he did or how he did it. It was what he did when he came home and there's not a damn thing he can say or do to change that video taped (then filmed) RECORD.

[Edited 2004-09-03 17:21:50]

jamesag96

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:25 am

Well Regis thank goodness you don't have a vote, because if anyone based their vote on what someone did or didn't do for four months out of their life it would be ignorance at best and stupidity at worst.

B2707SST

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:32 am

Once again, Kerry tries to spin the situation. Three times speakers at the RNC brought up Kerry's military service, and three times, one of the most partisan audiences in the country applauded him for it.

The president's campaign has not questioned Kerry's PATRIOTISM, they questioned his JUDGMENT and his RECORD of voting against defense systems, of being wishy-washy on crucial issues like the Gulf War, Iraq, and the supplemental appropriations bill, of belittling the allies fighting alongside US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, and of failing to make clear stands on issues of vital national importance.

Kerry's midnight rally after the President's speech was frankly incoherent. He was repetitive, he spoke in long and tortured sentences, he sounded hesitant and uneasy, his facts on issues like wage growth and outsourcing were simply wrong, and he generally gave the impression of being off his game. After months spent accusing the Swift Boat Veterans of unfair play by attacking his Vietnam record, he turned around and attacked Cheney, and still has not offered specific domestic proposals. This smells of desperation. "I served in Vietnam and I have a better plan than those guys" is not going to cut it.

--B2707SST

JeffM

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:49 am

In all seriousness, can anyone on Kerry's side give us some examples of him in a leadership position? Actually leading/running something other then his campaign?

O.K. so we know 30 years ago, the Navy let him drive one of the little river boats for something like 4 months. That while being one step away from an Ensign, and according to his service record, he wanted to do that, and was allowed because he was familiar with driving the family's boats around, so that does not qualify. So we will discount any serious sustained military leadership role, as he was never a Commander.

Any experience running a business?

Small corporate management?

Large corporate management?

CEO?

How about as a public servant?

Mayor?

Governor?

Head of any committees in Washington?

I don't recall him listing or speaking about any experience in this area. Where has he developed the skills?

Boeing7E7

Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:52 am

He won election after election in Massachusetts...

Then again, that's easy if you're a liberal. Just ask Ted Kennedy.

b757300

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:32 am

Last night Kerry seemed to be either very tired or like he took too much medication. He really seemed out of it.

If Kerry wants to have a chance to win, he needs to come out with a reason people should vote for him. So far all he has given is "I'm not George Bush" and "I served in Vietnam". 1996 taught us that just because the sitting President is disliked by a large number of people it does not translate into defeat. Dole ran basically an "Anyone But Clinton" campaign and lost. Kerry so far has run on "Anyone But Bush" and that isn't going to be enough to win.

He says he has all these plans, and even names a few, but never gives any details. Well, he does tell us that he would submit to the will of France, Germany, and the U.N. but that's about the only details he has given.

Kerry should simply sign the Form 180 and release all his records. That would show everyone if the SBVT were lying like Kerry claims. Also, the SBVT have said that if Kerry would truly apologize for his activities after he left Vietnam, they would stop their campaign against him. Obviously that hasn't happened. Instead he decides to attack Cheney and Bush, the very thing he has whined about when it was done to him.

DeltaSFO

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:03 am

He came off as petty and bitter.... especially after the emotional and heartfelt way in which Bush ended his speech.

I kept waiting for a Howard Dean-style primal scream....

AZjetgeek

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:06 am

As a Kerry supporter, I am glad he finally came to his own defense. He should not have had to, but there was no escaping the negative, mean-spirited campaign being waged and supported by the GOP as heard over the previous four nights.

Our Prez and Veep have short memories. They criticized Kerry for being soft on defense because he voted for budget cuts. As Sec of Defense under Bush 41 in 1989, Cheney argued in favor of deep cuts in the defense budget. You can't have it both ways, Mr. Cheney!

Kerry broke with his own party to support a balanced budget amendment in the Senate. Bush took a $500b surplus and turned it into a $500b deficit in less than four years. Kerry and John McCain went to Vietnam for discussions with the Vietnamese government concerning MIA's from that war.

At the DNC, John Kerry told us about his programs for health care, college tuition and other programs and then told us how he would pay for them. At the RNC, George Bush told us about tax credits, making the 2003 tax cuts permanent, and giving more money for community colleges and other social programs. He did not, however, tell us how he plans to pay for his programs.

Bush tells us the economy is growing because of his tax cuts and his fiscal policies. Last week, we learned that 1.8 million more Americans have been added to the poverty rolls since he became our President. Millions of Americans have no health care. Thousands have lost their health care because American companies outsource jobs to India, China, and other countries around the globe. Bush's answer is that our businesses can't afford to provide health care because of frivolous law suits. His answer is tort reform.

The Prez told us the world is safer without Saddam Hussein in power. He neglected to mention that Osama bin Laden still roams free, recruiting more Al Qaeda members to replace those killed or incarcerated. Bush made no mention of ongoing efforts to track down bin Laden.

I voted for Bush in 2000. Never again!

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:34 am

The only better Democratic candidate would have been Howard Dean (for Republicians). Geeze, to have only "vote fore me 'cuz I'm not George Bush" going for you will fail in the end. For those of you that do support JFK.............did you even know who he was 12 months ago?

Thankfully they did not put anyone up that would have had a chance (Liebermann, Hillary, etc.).

Stick a fork in JFK..............he's done

StevenUhl777

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:54 am

Draft dodgers are unfit for command

Didn't stop Clinton! Of course he is unfit for command, all he did was rule by the poll numbers. If the poll said one thing, he changed his view and policy to match it to pander for votes.

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:56 am

For those of you that do support JFK.............did you even know who he was 12 months ago?

And with that line you completly negated any argument you may have had by showing your cluelessness. But you weren't done...

Stick a fork in JFK..............he's done

Hahah yea. Show's over folks, no need to vote. "DirkSavage" has called the election for Bush!

B

DeltaSFO

Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:08 am

Didn't stop Clinton! Of course he is unfit for command, all he did was rule by the poll numbers. If the poll said one thing, he changed his view and policy to match it to pander for votes.

Actually, while Bill Clinton did that a lot, I give him big credit for refusing to bow to the left wing of the Democratic Party on trade policies like NAFTA, China MFN/NTR, GATT, and WTO. Not to mention welfare reform, a balanced budget, the Defense of Marriage Act (which he signed to howls of protest from the left wing Democrats), and the list goes on.

He did a lot of things I didn't like, but there's a pretty long list of stuff he did that Republicans should agree with. I wouldn't call him a chronic flip flopper in the manner of Al Gore, who was completely calculating, or John Kerry, who is basically a liberal Democrat who is now trying to appear not just moderate, but conservative, of all things. Well, at least give Kerry credit for trying.... Howard Dean didn't even bother with appearances, he was just a straight up, in-your-face liberal.

[Edited 2004-09-03 20:10:53]

slider

Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:14 am

Kerry's "response" was weak. Let's break it down, shall we?  Smile His words in italics.

"And I'll tell you why. It's because they can't talk about the real issues facing Americans. They can't talk about their record because it's a record of failure."

Bush very clearly talked about his record last night. And for the first time, someone discussed your record Senator. Since you obviously have no intent to discuss your record, being hung-up on 4 months and 3 Purple Hearts in Vietnam from over 30 years ago, that is.

"For the past week, they attacked my patriotism and my fitness to serve as commander in chief."

Again, as B2707 just nailed, they did not. To quote Zell Miller, "It is not their patriotism--it is their judgement that has been so severely lacking." But since Chris Matthews obviously didn't hear this very clear statement, I suppose you need to try to grasp desperately for something. Poor you.

"The vice president even called me unfit for office last night. I guess I'll leave it up to the voters whether five deferments makes someone more qualified to defend this nation than two tours of duty."

Two tours? really? Another bold-faced LIE! I won't defend Cheney. He did what he did and that's that. I'm sure that will come up in the debates, as well it maybe should. But again, Kerry can only deflect and evade.

And let's talk about UNFIT: I would say defiling the honor of the military, blaspheming your brothers-in-arms by accusing them of war crimes with no evidence, being a war criminal yourself, one guilty of treason no less, you are the LAST person Mr. Kerry who should DARE to claim to be fit for the Commander in Chief position.

"And we have a specific plan to do just that."

Really? You do? No shit!? Well, let's hear it Lurch. We haven't heard jackshit about your plan yet to date because you're still in Southeast Asia talking about dodging bullets. All while dodging your Senate record. Put up or shut up.

"And because a stronger America begins at home, we'll talk about our plan to create jobs, cut taxes for the middle class, lower health care costs, and make America safer and more secure."

In other words, you're going to pretend to be a conservative because you have nothing else left to draw upon. This should be rich...  Wink/being sarcastic

Aloha717200

Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:27 am

Instead he decides to attack Cheney and Bush, the very thing he has whined about when it was done to him.

Oh get real. You fault Kerry for attacking Cheney and Bush when THEY have been attacking him relentlessly for months as well? The whole Republican Convention was a spinfest filled with hatred towards John Kerry, and you have the nerve to say that Kerry cannot fight back?

Once again I say get real. Kerry's had the kid-gloves on to this point and it's been frustrating the hell out of some of us who are seeing our election chances slipping away. It's about goddamn time he took the gloves off. I've never seen him as forceful as he was last night and I pray he continues it.

Your "side", has been lying and distorting his record and his service and generally saying whatever they could to discredit him. You have the benefit of an entire news network that is blatantly, I say it again, BLATANTLY on your side (Fox). It's about damn time we did something. I just fear that it may be too late.

slider

Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:51 am

Aloha- Distorting his record?

It is what it is!

And your defense of a war criminal, a man who lacks any honor as a fighting man, reflects more on your character than it does his.

How any man can defend the man is beyod me.

By the same token, I'm not a Republican or Bush apologist. But it boggles my mind to see the blindness by the left that is willing to support a man like Kerry simply because he's "not Bush."

Aloha717200

Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:59 am

And your defense of a war criminal

There goes your credibility.

DeltaSFO

Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:01 am

Your "side", has been lying and distorting his record and his service and generally saying whatever they could to discredit him. You have the benefit of an entire news network that is blatantly, I say it again, BLATANTLY on your side (Fox). It's about damn time we did something. I just fear that it may be too late.

I'm amazed that in the face of evidence that indicates that AT THE VERY LEAST, Kerry's history is questionable, folks such as yourself basically cover your ears and refuse to listen.

Putting aside his Purple Hearts and giving him the benefit of the doubt on those, we are still left with:

A silver star with an unauthorized Combat V and three separate citations written for the same decoration, one of which was signed by John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy under--Ronald Reagan?!?!

An officer in the United States Navy testifying before Congress and calling every American soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine a war criminal. Top to bottom, unequivocal.

An officer in the United States Navy participating in Hanoi Jane Fonda's "Winter Soldier" protests, which were so-called hearings in which, again, the accusations of war criminal, baby killer, warmonger, etc etc, were leveled against every American soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine in a top to bottom, unequivocal manner.

An active duty officer in the United States Navy meeting with North Vietnamese officials in Paris while U.S. forces were still engaged in combat operations against the North Vietnamese. This is actually a direct violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Now, John Kerry bills himself as a war hero. He says his actions in Vietnam and after he came home are what makes him more qualified than George W. Bush to lead. By making that the central point of his campaign, he made it a valid point of debate, whether the Democrats like it or not.

Please, Aloha, you can't possibly think that these are the actions of a war hero. If you want war heroes, look to guys like George H.W. Bush, John F. Kennedy, John McCain, and Bob Kerrey. John Kerry, by virtue of his actions and words, is not worthy of having his name on the same level as those of true American heroes.

He is not fit to lead.

[Edited 2004-09-03 21:02:37]

slider

Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:02 am

Kerry admitted to committing war crimes.

He then accused his fellow military men of doing the same thing, without supporting it.

These are on the record and are irrefutable.

If you care to defend him, you're not only intellecually dishonest but now a total moron.

Lono

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:13 am

"Kerry's had the kid gloves on to this point"
"It's about goddamn time he took the gloves off"

OOOOO!

Watching this liberal wiener "take the gloves off" should be rich....

Watch out everyone!!!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:17 am

you're not only intellecually dishonest but now a total moron.

"now"...?  Laugh out loud

Klaus

ConcordeBoy, Slider

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:42 am

Sure, people who still believe there were WMDs in Iraq may also believe that Kerry is the moron in comparison to Bush!  Nuts

Guys, you´re apparently entering the raving lunacy phase...!

greaser

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:35 am

Well, there's a twist. Now it is reported that many of the listeners of JK's speech now feel he is no longer in control of the situation and is getting desperate and uneasy (CNN)

airplay

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:55 am

The only person who misled the US into Iraq was Saddam Hussain, by his refusal to follow UN resolutions.

Period end of discussion.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

That's good. Ever consider a career in stand-up L-188?

I've been listening to the speeches spewing from the pulpit at the GOP convention and one word sums it up for me: Scary!

Cheney is even scarier than Bush. Of course in my opinion Bush is just a meat puppet with Cheney and Rumsfeld's hands stuck up his ass.

If you guys really want 4 more years of death, destruction, fear and further degradation of foreign relationships, then by all means vote these scary nutbars in.