tbar220
Topic Author

Hurricane Ivan, Round Three

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:59 am

Well if Charley and Frances wasn't enough, now Hurricane Ivan has forecasts which show that it threatens to slam into the Florida Panhandle. Right now it is a monster category 4 storm.

Let's pray that this storm does not make landfall anywhere near Florida, or even on the mainland United States for that matter.

[Edited 2004-09-09 04:01:25]
NO URLS in signature

WellHung

RE: Hurricane Ivan, Round Three

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:01 am

can't say anything other than... that would really suck...

b757300

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:10 am

Reminds me of Hurricane Gilbert back in 1988. Possible similar track as well.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

nworlnsbearcub

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:43 pm

An email I sent to my family and friends... it goes for ALL of you that may be in it's path!!!

"Hello Family & Friends!

I'm not sure what each of you believe specifically regarding God, but this would be a great time to say a prayer...!

I just heard that there is a strong possibility of Hurricane Ivan going slightly further West, and THEN turning up in OUR direction.. (AND..most likely being a Cat 5)

This is not good!

God save us, and ANYONE in the path!

Love,
Michael
New Orleans

P.S. Don't be nervous, BE PREPARED!!
And, please keep my dad in your prayers also..he's not feeling so well."

Thanks
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

MxCtrlr

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:05 pm

Well the 0300Z track from the NHS shows it coming close to FMY (or RSW if you prefer) on Monday night. I guess I have a bullseye on my house as it looks like this one will go through Lake Wales (YET AGAIN!) and I'll have THREE separate claims with my insurance company! Oh well...such is the cost for "living in paradise"? Yeah, right! I plan to spend this one sitting on my rental house pool deck (since my place is trashed from the first one) with a bunch of Jose Cuervo tequilla shots in front of me and saying, "Bring it on, Bee-otch!"  Big thumbs up

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

N6376M

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:13 pm

People reed to realize that 3 claims mean 3 deductibles. Windstorm deductibles are 2% to 5% of your home's insured value.

vaporlock

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:18 pm

MxCtrlr....Good God.....3 in a row!!!!!!!! Hey...good to hear your set up somewhere that sounds comfortable!!! It's about time that the insurance companies did something for you!

Well, enjoy those tequilla shots... sounds good!!! LOL And stay safe!!  Big thumbs up

Phyllis  Wink/being sarcastic

MxCtrlr

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Don't worry Phyllis - I'll have my head down! Actually, I may have to sit this one out as we will probably move our Ops Center from MCO to TOL for this storm, to keep the rest of the operation going. Who knows?!

As far as the multiple deductibles go, yes that is true but the State of Florida announced today that they may force the insurance companies to stop the multiple deductibles due to the close proximity of these storms (something that very few people could possibly have imagined).

DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

trickijedi

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:23 pm

Yeah that would suck alright! I'm suppose to go to Orlando next week. Hope Ivan tames itself before it hits mainland or any of Florida's surrounding islands.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

ScarletHarlot

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:43 pm

Don't forget that Ivan is currently doing some pretty bad damage in the Carribbean. One of my speedskating buddies just moved to the Cayman Islands to go to medical school. He's been there three weeks. Now he is trying to get off the island before Ivan hits.

Good luck to all of you in Ivan's path.
But that was when I ruled the world

tbar220
Topic Author

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 pm

Well Ivan is now a Category 5 storm with sustained maximum winds of 160 mph. It just about destroyed the island of Grenada and left sixteen people dead there. Forecast tracks show it hitting FL after going through Jamaica and Cuba. What a fuckin mess.
NO URLS in signature

JGPH1A

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:21 pm

Notice: Will The Last Person To Evacuate Florida Please Feed Jeb Bush And Switch Off The Lights
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

flymia

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:49 pm

Here in South Florida we are watching this really closely. It is really to early to tell where it will land we will know alot more tommarrow mourning.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Banco

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:55 pm

What does Category 4 or Category 5 mean in layman's terms?

(Hurricanes are not overly common in Britain, you see.  Big grin )
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:05 am

Banco, I believe Cat 5 is the strongest one  Wow!  Wow!
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Tom in NO

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:22 am

What does Category 4 or Category 5 mean in layman's terms?

According to the Saffir-Simpson scale, which categories hurricanes based on the strongest sustained winds:
Cat 1: 74-95 mph
Cat 2: 96-110 mph
Cat 3: 111-130 mph
Cat 4: 131-155 mph
Cat 5: greater than 155 mph

For more info on the Saffir-Simpson scale, and the types of damage one can expect from the different categories of hurricanes, see: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

LH423

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:23 am

Banco, the Saffir-Simpson scale was designed as a way to categorize or classify hurricanes based on their strength (windspeed). A minor, category 1 hurricane has sustained winds between 74-95mph (119-153 km/h). This will do damage mostly to vegetation and maybe some minor coastal flooding. A category 2 hurricane with winds between 96-110mph (154-177 km/h). This is a bit worse, but manageable. A category 3 will pack winds of 111-130mph (178-209 km/h) will be a bitch. A category 4 has winds of 131-155mph (210-249 km/h) and will pretty much level everything that isn't made of stone. A category 5 hurricane is any with winds of 156 mph (250 km/h). The way to get through a category 5 hurricane is to stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass good-bye. A category 5 hurricane will destroy coastal property, all vegetation, mobile homes flattened, and most buildings in general will sustain major damage, if not complete destruction. An example of such would be 1992's Hurricane Andrew. When all was said and done Andrew caused about US$30 BILLION!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshs.shtml

Ah...it looks like someone beat me to the punch!

LH423

[Edited 2004-09-09 17:23:59]
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Banco

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:25 am

I see. Thanks both.

Let's hope it misses.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ryanb741

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:47 am

Excuse my poor geography but where in Florida has been hit over the past couple of weeks? Has Orlando taken a hit, or is it further South where the carnage has struck?
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

luisca

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:41 am

If a storm this size hits Miami the damage could be 80 billion dollars!

I spoke with my family over there, they say they are leaving if it goes anywhere near miami, for charlie they didnt even have a breeze, for francis only rain, but as we all know third is always a charm.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

N863DA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:45 am

Ryan,

The first of the storms was Bonnie; that hit the Panhandle of Florida. (Florida is shaped like a gun; it hit from the trigger to the end of the barrel.) However, this was primarily rain and dumped a load on the Southeastern US.

Then Charley came, and brewed in the Gulf of Mexico before hitting the Port Charlotte area, about half way down the coast from Tampa (~80 miles), then went right through Orlando and up into Daytona Beach. The Port Charlotte area was heavily damaged, as was Orlando. By the time the storm got to Orlando, it was only a Category 2 storm, but because Orlando is inland and was caught totally off-guard, it did a large amount of damage to the area. It then went on into Daytona Beach and some buildings were severely damaged but since we're a coastal city, we were more prepared to deal with the winds, etc.

Third of the thus-far Trio was Frances. This made landfall on the southeast coast of Florida, but was very, very slow-moving. Its eye struck in the Fort Pierce area (about ~80 miles north of West Palm Beach), but the storm was so massive that its winds extended from Miami in the South to Daytona Beach in the North, damaging everywhere inbetween. The storm then moved across the state very slowly (over about 24hrs) and the eye entered the Gulf north of Tampa, then striking the trigger part of the Florida Panhandle again, but this time with less wind but a huge amount of rain. Again, Orlando was damaged, but not as heavily as with Charley, and this time EVERYWHERE was touched, if not damaged.

This new one is anyone's guess, right now, but one thing is for sure - the Central and Southern Florida areas are staying geared up from the last one, rather than letting our guard down again.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

tbar220
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:47 am

$80 billion is a bit much, I don't estimate damage would be that high, the storm will also weaken as it crosses land (Cuba), so I don't expect it to be Cat 5 when it makes landfall on the U.S.
NO URLS in signature

luisca

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:49 am

Cuba wont weaken it enough, becouse it will always be over sea at some point, and then it hs a 90 mile strech before florida.

Remember I am talking about hitting miami head on, it would be catastrofic, 80 billion is not far of, since andrew cost 20 billion and it hit homesteda, one of the poorest areas in florida.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

BO__einG

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:58 am

This is nuts.

Ivan the Terrible Strikes. Good luck to all of you folks living in the Lower Florida region. Anybody living in mobile homes in that area, it would be foolhardy to stay and weather it out.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

N6376M

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:35 am

Let's clear up some things. Hurricane Andrew did not hit Miami. It hit Homestead. Secondly in 2004 dollar terms, it's damage was about $25B. Third of all, if any of you haven't been through a Cat 4 or 5 storm, count yourself lucky. I spent 2 hours huddled with my family underneath a mattress in the bathroom (the bathroom is often considered the strongest room in the house because of the plumbing reinforcing the walls) holding down one side of the mattress while my father held the other to keep if from flying away after 1/2 of our roof peeled off during Andrew.

Words or pictures cannot accurately convey the devastation of a major hurricane. My neighborhood which I had spent 15 years in looked completely foreign to me. No trees, no street signs, most buildings destroyed if not severely damaged.

It took almost a week until we could clear the street of debris so that one car could navigate from one end of the street to another. We were without power for almost 3 weeks. And we were the lucky ones. If you went ten blocks further South, closer to were the eye passed - nothing was left.

I saw 2 x 4 wood studs impaled through the center of 5 and 6 foot diameter trees like tooth picks. Hundreds of cars flipped over. 30 and 40 foot boats pushed 500 feet inland (not by wave action but by sheer force of the wind).

If a Cat 5 storm hits a major metro area in the US, I could easily see $50B worth of damage.

Everyone needs to pray very hard that this thing looses a lot of strength before it makes landfall anywhere. We also need to keep the poor people of Grenada and Jamaica that have / will be affected by this monster.

It's one thing to see it on TV, it's another thing to live it. I assure you that anyone who lived through the full force of Andrew does not take Cat 5 hurricanes lightly.

MxCtrlr

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:12 pm

Excuse my poor geography but where in Florida has been hit over the past couple of weeks? Has Orlando taken a hit, or is it further South where the carnage has struck?

Look at the map below. In District 1, right where highways 60 and 27 cross, just between Kissimmee and Tampa, that is Lake Wales, where I live and where both storms passed through.

Where the real carnage is located is just above Fort Myers (on the west coast, right where there shows a little inlet - That is Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte where Charley came on shore) and between Stuart and Cocoa Beach (on the east coast where Frances came on shore).

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:28 pm

My parents arent even bothering to take down their hurricane shutters from Frances...they are in the FLL area...they say the supermarkets have been emptied and that Home Depot has drive-thru lines for plywood...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ryanb741

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info guys, and good luck to all Floridians - this seems to be the hurricane season from hell  Sad
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

AvianceGirlUK

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:04 pm

Ryanb, its not just the Floridians we should we wishing luck to you know. I think the Jamaicans need just as much luck. Ive heard they have just shut the airport there and shops and stuff.. Good luck to them too.

pilot kaz

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:53 pm

jesus! cat 5! good luck anyone braving that storm.
-

flyingbronco05

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:45 pm

Isn't Ivan the 4th Hurricane that will hit Florida this year?

Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Ivan......right?
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge