Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Is Paradise Worth It? (Florida)

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:22 pm

*****Disclaimer*****
The scenario below might be offensive to some due to the latest Hurricanes. This post is not intended to offend anyone but to speak facts about what could happen (Which I hope doesn't)

As we all know Florida has been hit by Hurricanes Bonnie, Charley and Frances this year. Hurricane Ivan, a powerful Category 5 Hurricane could possibly make landfall near the same part of Southwest Florida that Charley did. Hurricane Charley devastated the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area as well as inland areas such as Arcadia in Desoto County and Wauchula in Hardee County. Wauchula is 10 minutes from my house and my house sustained no damage from Category 3 winds however many buildings in my county of Highlands were damaged.

Is living in Florida really worth it? Millions of people vacation here to enjoy the theme parks/major attractions, beaches/resorts and sunshine. But Florida is also the land of highways clogged with tourists, hot sweltering humidity, port for drug trade, and destructive Hurricanes.

If Hurricane Ivan makes landfall as a Category 5 in Florida, things will be catastrophic. Storm surge could easily wash away barrier islands as well as travel great distances inland destroying everything in its path. Wind speeds of 160+ would easily blow away mobile homes, and even well constructed buildings. The power grid would be at a total loss as miles of transmission lines would be downed. Food/water shortages would lead to the public getting enraged leading do riots/looting and murders. Not to mention fuel stations would be dry for long periods of time. I hope that this scenario will never happen to anyone but I think it is a very real possibility.

I have had enough with Hurricanes and I have came to the conclusion that living in Florida isn't worth it and I am planning a possible move to Atlanta within the next year.

Is their anyone else that doesn't think living in Florida is worth it due to the Hurricanes?

-Delta767300ER

KROC

RE: Is Paradise Worth It? (Florida)

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:25 pm

Oh its worth it. Come spend a couple of winters in the North East and you will deal with the extremely RARE Hurricane year that Florida is having.

QIguy24

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:27 pm

I would personally do anything to move to Florida. I don't care about the hurricanes. You get bad weather every where. Just look in China and Europe. We get fllodings and other things here as well.

I have been to Florida 6 times and I love that state!  Big thumbs up But unfortunatly I need a green card to live there. And a green card isn't the easiest thing to get:D

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

KROC/QIguy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:38 pm

KROC, I have spent some time in the Northeast and I cant say I would want to live through the winters they have. I hope you get to move to MLB like we were discussing.

QIguy, you are right about getting bad weather everywhere but a Hurricane is one of the most destructive forces of nature. I read an article earliar tonight that I will try to find again and post of on here that indicates a trough has steered Hurricanes away from Florida northward towards the Carolinas. The article indicated the trough has now moved which means Florida might not have any protection from Hurricanes for years to come.

-Delta767300ER

QIguy24

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:47 pm

Delta,

I know that they are one of the most destructive forces there is. But a flooding can also create serious damages and kill alot of people. I thinbk it was 2 or 3 years ago. Most of Europe got flooded and I can't remember how many people who died. And it costed the society billions of dollars.

I would move to Florida anyway. hehe Big grin

I actually have a friend who's moving to Miami in January. Damn bastard  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2004-09-09 12:49:20]

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

QIguy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:01 pm

Yes, Floods are very destructive! I have seen entire towns get flooded and nearly destroyed. I didnt know Europe got really bad weather, I think I need to start paying more attention. I hope that someday you will get to move to Florida and not have to deal with Hurricanes.

-Delta767300ER

MxCtrlr

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:06 pm

I actually have a friend who's moving to Miami in January. Damn bastard

That should read "poor bastard" for moving to Miami. What a pest hole and I thank the Gods daily that I wised up and moved the hell out of South Florida in 1997!

As for the hurricane situation, it is a truly weird year for Florida and hurricanes but, as has been said before, no matter where you go, there's a weather phenomenon that "gives life some spice" so to speak. Be it ice storms in Dallas, tornadoes in Oklahoma, earthquakes, fires, floods, droughts, mudslides in California (afterall, the four seasons in CA are Mud, Flood, Fire & Drought and you can tell when its fall in LA when the air turns brown and falls to the ground  Smile), blizzards in the northern states or even volcanic eruptions and the annual slug infestations in the Pacific Northwest, there's always something that makes living there a difficulty SOMETIMES.

Florida is a great place (OK, the heat is oppressive and the humidity is sweltering) to live because, most of the time, its sunny and breezy.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

cptkrell

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:50 pm

I was born in Miami and lived in neighboring Coral Gables for eighteen years...been through a lot of hurricanes, but none as damaging as the most recent (and certainly nothing like Andrew). Of course back in the 1940s and 50s, there was not as much to damage, but was it worth it in general? I'd say yes. I still enjoy my visits. It's quite a 'different planet' compaired to the Detroit area (I'm speaking of weather).

I certainly hope FL doesn't get whacked by Ivan, but if so, remember it is unusual to have so many weather events in a single season.

As MxCtrlr mentioned of the California Dream, when I was going to school in LA, I couldn't understand the 'seasonal attractions'. Plus, having been through a few minor earthquakes in addition to scraping the smog off my windshield every afternoon, I'd still take FL over CA any day. Me, I'm retiring to TN where the biggest worry is an occassional tornado and finding a good dentist  Smile Regards..Jack
all best; jack

tristarenvy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:33 pm

Moved here from Texas in 1986, and I have to say, that with the exceptions of the last two hurricanes, and the possibility of a visit from IVAN, Florida ain't so bad. TPA has been pretty lucky, when it comes to big storms. We had several "near miss" storms over the last few years, and a lot of folks have gotten complacent, and that may come back to bit 'em in the fantail.

The heat is a bit much sometimes, but I lived thru Houston in the deep summer. The pay is a bit lower than normal, but it's 'cause "we're paid in sunshine"!

But all in all, FLA sure beats living in the north.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

NUAir

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:40 pm

Ivan just hit Cat. 5 The last and only recorded Cat. 5 hurricane to hit the US was Camille in 1969 which wiped out everything it touched.

Maybe you get nice weather down in the Southeast but I'll stick with my tornadoes, cold weather and Packers in Wisconsin.

Of course when All State, State Farm and all the other national insurance providers up their charges to the rest of us to make up for the idiots living down in Florida it would be nice to see that people would at least have the common sense to build houses out of more than wood and wouldnt be living in mobil homes. I say let the people live in paradise but dont offer them insurance, for christ sakes they dont even know how to vote  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

NUAir

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:04 pm

ooops, change that last remark.

National weather service just said Ivan changed course and is heading towards Florida not Mississippi!! If it stays at Cat. 5 we might be down to 49 states.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

Klaus

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 pm

Oh. Good luck to everyone down there!  Sad

QIguy24

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:15 pm

Good luck from me as well. I didn't know it was this terrible. With a number 3 tornado as well  Sad

tristarenvy

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:30 am

To expand on NUAir's comment, what will be WORSE is when most insurers decide to not re-insure anyone in FLA. I already have one hit against me, from a pipe self-destructing in my home, and now, I'm sure if I file a claim, I'll be dropped pretty freakin' fast.

travelin man

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:54 am

Yeah, I'm not sure ANYONE will be able to get insurance in that state if Ivan hits.

I wouldn't call Florida "Paradise", but it's a pretty good place to visit (or live, if you like humidity). No place is "paradise" (i.e. without problems), and you're going to face some kind of natural disaster almost anywhere you go. But three hurricanes within a month? Yikes. Good luck to all.... (I was supposed to be in the Keys this weekend, but that's not happening...)

N863DA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:17 am

Ivan just hit Cat. 5 The last and only recorded Cat. 5 hurricane to hit the US was Camille in 1969 which wiped out everything it touched.

Umm... no. Hurricane Andrew was a Category 5 storm when it made landfall in South Florida in 1992, but was weakened by the time it hit Louisiana.

As to Florida being worth the risk, most I know would disagree with me, but absolutely. These storms are the exception, not the norm and, while damage has occured all over the state in recent history (1990 onward), you just can't beat Florida; or at least, not from my perspective.

Perhaps my only big criticism of Florida is the local TV stations' lack of ability to transmit in stereo in some parts, let alone in HDTV.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

jcs17

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:52 am

Florida is paradise? Please. I guess if you love your beaches dirty, your locals rude, and a population where most can barely speak the English language, I guess its paradise. Seriously, I fail to see what is sooo great about Florida. Disney and Orlando is fun...when you're five. Other than that it its just a humid marshland teeming with sock and sandal wearing Euros (no offense) and the white-ist trash east of the Mississippi. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is like Long Island with 85 degree weather all year, rude people who can barely speak English, bluehairs that drive about 10mph on the freeway, not to mention a crime rate that would make the Port-Au-Prince chief of police jealous. Tampa...boring. Jacksonville...boring. The panhandle is for the white trash that couldn't afford to make it to Orlando and drunk college chicks (which isn't a bad thing)...and the ever present dirty beaches. The only places in Florida of much worth are southwest Florida, the Keys, and Palm Beach county.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

j_hallgren

Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:22 am

As someone who lives in Clearwater and Cape Cod seasonally, I still think FL has advantages over some other states "issues"...at least with a hurricane, you know it's there...not so with tornados/earthquakes...and losing power in FL is better than no power in MA in winter...at least you won't freeze!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

N312RC

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:27 am

Josh, I dont know where you go in Florida but I have yet to come across a dirty beach or rude locals. I find the gulf beaches like St. Pete Beach, Venice Beach, Englewood Beach, the barrier islands off Sarasota County, and down to Naples to be some of the nicest in the world. Hell, even St. Augustine Beach in North Florida is beautiful.

You have to realize that everything north of Ocala really isnt Florida, its just an extension of Alabama/Georgia. Sure you have to deal with all the twangy locals up there, but down in the south, you might as well have transplanted Michigan or Illinois. The place I really dont like is the area around FLL and PBI.. To many New Yorkers and rude east coast people. Orlando sucks, true, but thats because of all the stupid ass tourists. In Florida you have to find the quiet, tucked away areas that havent been spoiled. Much of the Gulf Coast is like that.

Oh and Tampa isnt boring if you arent one who runs around the country looking for places to get drunk and get your rocks off. You probably consider South Padre, Panama City, and Cancun to be prime vacation spots because theyre nothing but piss and vomit soaked hell holes where dumb college students go to get smashed.
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

tristarenvy

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:30 am

N312RC, he probably ended up on Ben T. Davis....

N312RC

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:57 am

LOL tristarenvy... thats a good one..

probably has a third eye.
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.

N6376M

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:08 am

3 of the 10 top beaches in the US are in FL.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/beach2003/2003-10-08-dr-beach-top-10_x.htm

[Edited 2004-09-09 23:10:50]

Christa

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:19 am

I've been to the states quite a lot and visited many states including Florida..

I have to say that Florida in parts is very beautiful..

For example.. Marco Island.. It's stunning there!

I would do anything to live there.. but for now I just holiday there!

It's definitely worth the risk..

Regards,

Christa

[Edited 2004-09-09 23:19:48]
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

copaair737

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:41 am

Florida isn't paradise. First off, the Gulf Coast just totally sucks all the way around. It is more of a southern extension of the panhandle. No waves either, the locals suck too. East Coast is just a bunch of pushy New Yorkers, or other old people from the east coast, and the interior is just a swamp, and filled with rednecks, or dumbass tourists in the case of Orlando. The top of the state, as someone said before, is just an extension of 'Bama and Georgia. Florida sucks all the way around. Just a giant sea of grey in my opinion. I'd rather spend my vacations in Hawaii, or Mexico, before I went to the AARP capital again.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

N312RC

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:51 am

Mexico, where people wake up with mysterious diseases and missing kidneys.. Gee.. I love fearing for my safety on vacation.

You people obviously stay in Super 8's and hit the shittiest parts because you know what, Ive been vacationing in Florida since I was *this* high and have always loved it.. I dont know how you can say Lido Key in Sarasota is shitty.. its absolutely beautiful. The sunsets are amazing.

Yall are just ignorant elitists, I think.

flight152

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:31 am

Bob

Anyone who picks "why am I getting diaherea?" Mexico over Florida obviously has never set foot outside a trailer park in Daytona.

[Edited 2004-09-10 00:33:39]

CometII

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:32 am

"Florida is paradise? Please. I guess if you love your beaches dirty, your locals rude, and a population where most can barely speak the English language, I guess its paradise. Seriously, I fail to see what is sooo great about Florida. Disney and Orlando is fun...when you're five. Other than that it its just a humid marshland teeming with sock and sandal wearing Euros (no offense) and the white-ist trash east of the Mississippi. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is like Long Island with 85 degree weather all year, rude people who can barely speak English, bluehairs that drive about 10mph on the freeway, not to mention a crime rate that would make the Port-Au-Prince chief of police jealous. Tampa...boring. Jacksonville...boring. The panhandle is for the white trash that couldn't afford to make it to Orlando and drunk college chicks (which isn't a bad thing)...and the ever present dirty beaches. The only places in Florida of much worth are southwest Florida, the Keys, and Palm Beach county."

In a single post, count them: one, uno, you've dissed children (and adults who like the theme parks), the elderly, Europeans, Southerners, Latin Americans, and Transplants from the Midwest & Northeast. And I'm assuming you forgot the frogs in there. That's got to be a record.

Congrats, Jcs17. I'm sure you are have a very happy upbeat personality and are a pleasure to be around with.

NOT!

KLM-MD11

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:46 am

"Florida is paradise? Please. I guess if you love your beaches dirty, your locals rude, and a population where most can barely speak the English language, I guess its paradise. Seriously, I fail to see what is sooo great about Florida. Disney and Orlando is fun...when you're five. Other than that it its just a humid marshland teeming with sock and sandal wearing Euros (no offense) and the white-ist trash east of the Mississippi. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is like Long Island with 85 degree weather all year, rude people who can barely speak English, bluehairs that drive about 10mph on the freeway, not to mention a crime rate that would make the Port-Au-Prince chief of police jealous. Tampa...boring. Jacksonville...boring. The panhandle is for the white trash that couldn't afford to make it to Orlando and drunk college chicks (which isn't a bad thing)...and the ever present dirty beaches. The only places in Florida of much worth are southwest Florida, the Keys, and Palm Beach county."

you forgot to mention Florida has a Bush for a governor...
definately no paradise!
GELUK IS GELUL MET EEN K

kellmark

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:41 am

klm-md11

You couldn't let it pass. You had to be nasty. And you had to mention politics, especially Governor Jeb Bush, who has been great during these tough times with all of the storms. What if I said that Amsterdam stinks as it is just full of hookers and marijuana?

I can't believe that Ann Frank came from Holland.

I live in Miami and have a place in Hollywood Beach, and it is paradise to me. The ocean is beautiful and the area has wonderful shops and restaurants all year round. And the people where I live couldn't be more friendly. They are happy to be there. As am I.

Blackbird1331

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:46 am

I'll take the Northeast anytime. Four seasons. Beautiful Jersey beaches and a few hours drive to the mountains. We have farms, theme parks, casinos, the greatest city in the world, and where I work, we have students from some 68 nations. And, we get heat and humidity, which I would be glad to send back to Florida. Home is where the heart is. My heart is everywhere. But I want to sleep here.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

flymia

Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:49 am

Copaair737: If you go to Miami or Key West you will have none of that. I dont consider anything North of Orlando except for St. Augestien Florida. I just like having the oldest settlement in the country.

Jcs17: First I dont know where you find many dirty beaches. Why are 3 of the top 10 beaches in the Country in Florida. Most of the population does speack english. In Miami they dont speak much english. Most of them now a good amount but they dont chose to speak english in most areas because there is no need too. I agree with does dam drivers though. But we really dont have that many elderly people atleast Miami/Miami Beach does not. Crime rate. Please you cant compare Miami crime rate with DC Detriot LA. It is pretty bad but what else do you want with an world gateway with people from all over the world and many illegal citizens. And you cant even be serious with the Port Au Prince comment. And the people are not that rude. But just any body would find any rude people like in London or Amsterdam or NYC. Never stayed in TPA or JAX so I cant comment there. And never been to the panhandle too. Only the TLH.
Klm-md11: Govenour bush has been doing a great job with the situation right now. Would not want anyone else in office. And he speaks spanish too.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

flymia

Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:24 am

I saw the article that says Florida does not have that protected shield anymore for maybe a decade that alot of the times brings storms up to Carolinas or out to sea. Also it is very unlikely that the storm will stay a CAT 5. It is going over land right before it might make its land fall on Florida. Cuba will downgrade the storm. I say a CAT 3 maybe CAT 4. Who knows we might be lucky and get a CAT2.
Delta767300ER: Well if you like lots of people bad crime rates lots of traffic hot weather somewhat cold winters and not as good as location as Florida where ever you do live in FL than go ahead and move to Atlanta
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

N863DA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:00 pm

Ya know, it makes me laugh to think that, instead of the usual, "armchair airline CEOs," now we have, "armchair meteorologists."

Let's face it - NOAA and other weather agencies are having a tough time predicting the exact path or progression of this storm - but of course, others right here on A.net seem to be spelling out the exact path to the minute.

...meanwhile, back to the tangential nature of the thread at hand...

There are a lot of Floridians who would say that, "real" Florida is anything north of Ocala. I'm a native of the Panhandle and I'm proud to call the Pensacola / Panama City (without Spring Break) / Tallahassee / Jacksonville area (and St. Augustine) the REAL Florida.

The rest of the state, while still an integral part of the greatest state in the Union (giving due acknowledgement to Georgia), is not, "real" Florida, but instead a, "rich tapestry of diverse cultures which come together in a homogonized, friendly manner." (OK, I'm using poetic license...)

Either way, "real" Florida - the original - is the Panhandle and North Florida. The rest is just gravy to an already prosperous and well-deserving state.

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Flymia

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:54 pm

Hey Flymia, Crime rates are going to be in almost every big city so I cant really say anything about that. I have spent several summers in Atlanta and it is a lot more pleasant than Florida. I'm not real big on cold weather but when its 85 degrees on Christmas Eve that kinda gets to me. I assume in location you are talking about being near the beach, I'm not a beach person but most people love it!

Damn, I didnt know Jcs was so down on Florida.

-Delta767300ER

Mir

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:05 pm

I have never cared for paradise (Florida, that is). Too much heat, too much humidity, too much suburbia.

Give me New York City any day. Mountains nearby (small ones, but mountains nonetheless), immense ethnic diversity, great cultural events everywhere, and blizzards once in a while (I love snow) Big grin
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

USAFHummer

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:08 pm

Depends on what you like...Im not a beach person, Im a mountain person, so personally Im not a huge Florida fan...sure its nice to go to the beach every once in a while but I can't ever imagine myself living there...not in a state where the skyscrapers in Miami soar almost 3 times the elevation above sea level than the elevation of the state's actual geographical highpoint...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

L-188

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:13 pm

Considering the girl my dog replaced settled down there at last word.

And that the guy in the barracks room next to me at Stuttgart was from there and had all of his speakers up against the wall seperating just to annow me.

No I am not a big Florida fan.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MAH4546

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:33 pm

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale is like Long Island with 85 degree weather all year, rude people who can barely speak English, bluehairs that drive about 10mph on the freeway, not to mention a crime rate that would make the Port-Au-Prince chief of police jealous.

So what does that make Orlando and Tampa? They have Florida's highest crime rate, not Miami. Miami lost that honour years ago.

High crime rates come naturally with big cities, especially in areas where the city proper has a population much smaller than the overall metro (like Atlanta, which traditionally has America's highest crime rate).

It is all a matter of taste. I hate cold weather, I hate mountains, I have a strong dislike for the Midwest. I love the beaches, I love nightlife, and I love Latin and European culture. I split my living between Chicago and Miami, and being in Chicago, especially in January...well, it just really makes me want to be in Miami.

As for the hurricane thing...this hurricane season has been a rare one...strong. However, the devastation that areas like Punta Gorda felt would not have been as bad if the State of Florida adopted the strict building codes that Miami-Dade County and Broward County adopoted after Hurricane Andrew. The construction industry opposed the new codes, and they won.

Miami-Dade and Broward's building codes make the city extremely well prepared for any hurricane. The glass on skyscrapers, for example, can withstand 155MPH winds. The rest of the state is not. Luckily for South Florida, however, we don't get hurricanes as often as the rest of the state.
a.

flymia

Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:49 pm

Mir: Yes that is one thing I dont like about Florida. Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando they do have alot of suburbia. But Miami does not have much. Broward and south Dade but besides for that Miami is a very urban city. One of the most urban cities in the US.
Delta767300ER: Well I just looked at your profile. I guess if you go to Atlanta alot than thats fine. Yea 85 degree chirstmas is not very cool either. We will have to see about Ivan. Talk later.

MSYtristar

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:36 am

I personally love the Gulf Coast panhandle area around Destin. Gorgeous water, clean beaches, tons of new development, etc. It's only about a four hour drive from my house so I get over there pretty often. There's nothing like renting a boat and anchoring down in Destin Bay, with turquoise water only a few feet deep in some places.

The few times I've been to Miami/Ft.Lauderdale, I have really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of unique cities which have a lot of culture, and Miami certainly qualifies. I found this great Cuban restaurant there last time and I was easily the only English speaking person in the place...even the menu was in 100% spanish...but the food was delicious and the people were very nice. I'd go back again.

I'm not a huge fan of the South Beach "I'm richer and better looking than you" attitude, but Miami Beach itself is a gorgeous place...great sand and clear water. Last time I was there I stayed at the Sagamore, some new art deco hotel on the beach. Great service there, and the most comfortable hotel bed i've ever slept in.

FLVILLA

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:48 am

Florida is paradise to me!!!, My Family alone has invested Millions of Dollars into that state because we love it so much.

BUT, I still can't live out there, oh no I'm British, therefore I can't do the Green Card Lottery and theres not a chance is living hell that I'm going back to the US embassy in London to be shouted at by a Foreigner(who was not British or American). I wish FL and Jeb Bush would realize the mass Billions of investment that has been made by foreigners in terms of Property, businesses and employing many Americans!!

I wish Florida could detatch and Form a seperate Country!!

At least I can Still Dream
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

AirReview

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:25 pm

Hi Guys,
I moved from Miami one year ago after living there for 5.5 years. Im originally from NYC and must admit not seeing 5.5years of winter snow and cold temps. was wonderful but there were alot of other (not hurricane related) things that compelled me to move back to the North. This is where I spend my North American summers.
I lived through 2 tropical storms while i was there and both were scary! If warm weather is what you want, then strongly consider moving to South America. They see no snow and the cost of living is so much less. Better food also and not to mention zero income tax! Thats what i did. I bought my seasonal residence here and dont have to worry about a CAT 5 storm blowing off my roof or impailing a 2x4 in my head anymore. There is a whole other world outside of the USA and technology lets me run my business from anywhere in the world.

BTW... current winter temperature is 24 Celcius (78F) ... A cold winter indeed! hehehe.

csavel

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:37 pm

I suffered through one year of the hellhole of heat and humidity that was Florida and I'm frankly I glad that I'm out of that "paradise."

Still visit parental units who did the obligatory Jewish migration, not bad in the winter, but New York is the best, most amazing place, even if is inundated with the same chain stores you got in other places and nobody speaks with New York accents anymore. The most ethnically diverse place on the planet, filled with people you'd just *never* meet anywhere else. Plus, I loathe hot weather, 60 degrees farenheit is room temperature to me, so maybe I'm not one to ask. I rather like the cold, and frankly, compared to other northern cities, (Boston, Chicago, Detroit) it isn't *that* cold.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.