EA CO AS
Topic Author

Gift Idea Suggestions

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:46 am

Well, my manager is leaving the company after 10 years. It's bittersweet, because while I know she hates to leave, the rest of management has not been kind to her over the years and she's loving the thought of leaving all the corporate B.S. behind.

Anyway, she's been good to me over the years, both as a supportive friend and mentor. I'd like to get a nice going-away present for her, but can't think of something that's appropriate.

Any suggestions? And please, no "sexual favors" commentary, ok?  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bruno

RE: Gift Idea Suggestions

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:51 am

Is she in to Herpa Wings?

1:500 scale model aircraft.
I support the women’s movement up and down!

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:53 am

That's a good idea, but since she's getting out of the airline industry I don't know if she'd like it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

luv2fly

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:03 am

Is she leaving for another job? Or is unemplyent better that staying? Reason I ask is, if she is leaving with no job, than get some gift cards from local grocery stores that will help in possible lean times..... Not the most exciting though it is the thaught that counts.
You can cut the irony with a knife

bruno

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:08 am

A nice bottle of booze is always a good gift.
750L of Johny Walker Black Label is a good gift.
I support the women’s movement up and down!

Greg

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:19 am

A nice coffee table book of a hobby or interest of hers with a personal inscription is an appropriate gift. It meets the criteria of being affordable, personal, and will likely be appreciated.

Liquor for women is considered inappropriate.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:21 am

Is she leaving for another job?

Yes and no. Alaska Airlines is permitting management employees to participate in a "voluntary severance incentive" program, designed to pare down the managerial ranks and save money in the long-haul.

The plan permits management personnel to receive:

• one year's worth of health insurance

• five years of flight benefits

• two weeks pay for each year of service

• So she's getting around 5 months' pay in a lump-sum to walk away from her job.

luv2fly

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:24 am

Well since she will have some time on her hands, what about a borders gift card, if she is a coffee drinker a starbucks card, and on her last day bring a couple of disposable cameras to work and record the last day, have others shoot some photos and develope them and give her an album to remember you all by.......
    You can cut the irony with a knife

MYT332

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:26 am

How about a Mercedes CLK?
    One Life, Live it.

mdsh00

Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:35 am

Maybe a broach would be nice. If you don't mind forking over the cash, maybe something personalized from Things Remembered (I don't know if they have a place in your local mall) would also work...like a "Good luck" message.

http://www.thingsremembered.com/

EA CO AS
    Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:27 am

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It looks like I've got a bit of shopping to do after work!

canuckpaxguy

Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 am

One of the most meaningful gifts I've ever received was from an old teacher who really inspired me (as your manager sounds like she's done for you).

She gave me a compass with some words engraved on the back to 'help me find my way in life'. There's a great deal of sentiment attached to it for me. I'm sure she'd like something thoughful like that as a reminder of how she's helped you find yours.

Best of luck.

G

ordflyer

Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:50 pm

I'm not sure how intersted your boss is in sports (maybe more appropriate if it were a guy), but tickets to local sports teams always seem to be popular office gifts for various reasons.