studentflyer
Topic Author

Does Anyone Know When The BMW M6 Will Be Launched?

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:50 pm

Does anyone know if BMW will get the M6 into the showrooms?? If so, when? Are they going to put the M5's V10 engine into it? or are they going to tweak it for the M6?

Thanks,
AK

fritzi

RE: Does Anyone Know When The BMW M6 Will Be Launched?

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:49 pm

I doubt they will need to tweek the V10 thats in the new M5. I think that 508 HP will be enough for the 6-series!

Greg

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:23 pm

The M6 will debut as a 2007 model...but BMW does not say how if it will be released for sales in 2006 or before June 2007.

It's suppose to follow the M5 by at least seven months (but flexbile). Which is on sale now for August 2005 delivery.

Be aware that the BASE price is estimated at $93,900. Which means you'll be lucky to find one under $100K. Although in all fairness, the 6 Series benefits from having the shortest option list of any BMW.

It's all likely the best looking of the bunch. It got 'Bangled' just right....

There is a 645 here in Houston that has been painted in the Laguna Seca Blue--which was discontinued last year--and is not a standard 6 Series colour. It's a wild looking ride.....agressive..but not pimped out....

RedDragon

Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:57 pm

It's all likely the best looking of the bunch. It got 'Bangled' just right....

Hmmm, not sure I agree with you there - I saw a parked 6-series coupé the other day, the first I've seen on the road, and it was in an awful non-metallic-looking black - really made the bootlid look plastic! (Why on Earth does BMW offer it in non-metallic black, not to mention white...) The shark nose, oddly-proportioned lights and downright strange rear three-quarter view don't do anything to help the car's case in my opinion.

On the other hand, I'm not sure which I reckon the best-looking Bangled BMW is (if it was the best Bangled car I'd say the Fiat Coupé  Big grin). I suppose I can get out of it by saying the X5!

Rich

Tristar100

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:54 am

This new BMW, will it have indicators that work? Just wondering, the expensive BMW's that I always see have great state of the art mod cons, i.e Sat-nav, cruise control, the list goes on. But, their indicators never seem to work, just wondering.

Steve.

RedDragon

Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:43 am

Shame isn't it - you'd think that maybe a base 318-no-i repmobile might not come with indicators as standard, but on a 70 grand 7-series? Still, maybe the drivers are actually being conscientious and trying to indicate, only to have to grapple with BMW's new "soft" indicator stalks. Or maybe you have to go through a three-layer iDrive menu to indicate these days?

Big grin

Greg

Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:21 am

Are you joking that they don't work...or that drivers don't use them?

It's quite simple...'tap' the indicator for lane changes and it blinks a few times....'push' it down...it keeps the blinker going until the turn is complete or you move it to the off position. Works like a charm everytime.

Oh..and iDrive is a piece of cake. Turn,click, and pop...and you can program most the buttons on the steering wheel do to just about anything. Plus, the iDrive is a redundant system--every other feature has is accessible in the 'old fashion' way.....save the trip computer..which is on the iDrive system. My Dad is 75...took him about 30 minutes to get the hang of it...

Further, note that BMW and Audi are both introducing similiar systems within the next model year. So, clealry it is not flawed thinking.

Five new BMW's in eight years---never an issue with the blinkers!

kaddyuk

Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:13 am

Oh my god,

A Black, Metallic X5 Sport, 4.4 Litre, 26" 5-Spoke Rims, Two Tone Interior, With tinted windows....

I'm In heaven... Kit it out with an Induction Kit and lowered springs... Kenwood Stereo...

Thats a Phat Car!!!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

studentflyer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:12 pm

X5 Sport, 4.4 Litre, 26" 5-Spoke Rims

WHAT?? A 26" rims in an X5? Are you serious? That's ripping the wheel arches!!

Anyway,

Oh..and iDrive is a piece of cake. Turn,click, and pop...and you can program most the buttons on the steering wheel do to just about anything. Plus, the iDrive is a redundant system--every other feature has is accessible in the 'old fashion' way.....save the trip computer..which is on the iDrive system. My Dad is 75...took him about 30 minutes to get the hang of it...

I must agree!! the iDrive does not only stand for Intuitive Drive, but for Intelligent Drive as well! It's a very simple and user-friendly approach for controls! If you're a computer literate, you should be able to get the hang of it first go!

Back to the topic, well, 508 HP is a lot of horses in a car that weighs less than 2 tonnes, in fact, perhaps around 1.6 tonnes like the current 645Ci, so if you do the maths, 300HP per tonne is just huge!! Hope they will realize the dream of a 'true GT' soon!

Regards,
AK

RedDragon

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:06 am

Re. the indicators, apparently those that BMW have been fitting since the 7-series have been confusing a fair number of drivers, apparently leading people to over-compensate for indicating "permanently" in one direction by accidentally setting off the indicators in the other direction. Vauxhall/Opel have also joined the trend, fitting these to the Vectra (and I'd assume the new Astra as well?)

And regarding iDrive, although I haven't tried it out myself yet (would like to have a go though!)... I've heard that, even to change bands on the radio, you have to navigate through an iDrive menu. Word is that BMW's simplified "iDrive v2", fitted to the 6-series (?) and the 1-series is an improvement, and that Audi's MMI is a step further in the right direction.

And yes, I was joking about drivers not using the indicators in the first place  Big grin

aerobalance

Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:46 am

i-drive? What a joke.

If I recall correctly, a person does their best driving while paying attention to the task of driving - and their eyes on the road. No need to be distracted by some gimmicky electronics.

Besides that, these automakeers make too much profit on these components.

Just give me a BIG Tachometer and a coolant gauge, then lower the price of the car. That's all I need.  Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Greg

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 am

Radio controls are on the dash...and the steering wheel if you want them programmed that way.

You don't need iDrive to use them...or, as a lot of non-Bimmers think, the air conditioner.

The turn signals are about as intuitive as it gets..not sure why anyone would have a problem with them....(but I'm talking 5 Series...not 7).

iDrive is an incredible system....must be if both Audi and MB are releasing their versions for the top-of-the-line offerings.

fritzi

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:44 am

i-drive? What a joke.

If I recall correctly, a person does their best driving while paying attention to the task of driving - and their eyes on the road. No need to be distracted by some gimmicky electronics.

Its not really that hard to use while driving after you get used to it. To get into the radio menu you only pop the lever down twice and you will be in the menu of the current source. Otherwise you could always use the controls on the steering wheel (as Greg said) or the arrows next to the volume knob on the center panel. If you already have the radio stations programmed its a real piece of cake to control.
It only took me about a week to get used to it.

The turn signals are about as intuitive as it gets..not sure why anyone would have a problem with them....(but I'm talking 5 Series...not 7).

I have to agree with you on that one as well. Pop down one notch, and the lights will blink three times. One more notch and they will blink continuously.

My only complaints so far are:
1) The blinker aural sound is not loud at all.
2) If you haven´t got the steering wheel adjusted perfectly, the blinker indicator lights can be hard to see without bending your head down a bit.
3)The parking brake lever can be annoying sometimes when you release it. It has a tendency to stay in the first notch if you don’t pay attention (you will still get the aural warning though).

But the handling of the car is amazing. It follows the road as if it were glued to it!!!

dan2002

Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:58 am

No, but I am shure Flight152 has 2 or 3 on pre order to get speeding tickets in.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

aerobalance

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:03 am

My apologies if I seem a bit harsh against i-drive, I'm sure that it has it's merits. It's just that I'm old school when it comes to cars, just get me where I need to be with minimal fuss. I do, however, like power and handling, just not the electronic 'aids'.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

fritzi

Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:30 am

My apologies if I seem a bit harsh against i-drive,...

No worries, didnt interpret it that way.

I do, however, like power and handling

I can second that!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

just not the electronic 'aids'

You surely arent the only one. Some people were born BC (before computer), some AD (after computer) Wink/being sarcastic

RedDragon

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:41 pm

iDrive is an incredible system....must be if both Audi and MB are releasing their versions for the top-of-the-line offerings.

Not sure I'd go with that logic  Big grin but I'm actually not knocking iDrive, given that I haven't tried it - as much as it pains me to do so  :p

Anyway... is Mercedes developing an iDrive rival? Hadn't heard of that... although surely, as Mercedes must rank as the most button-happy maufacturer, it's sorely needed!

More long-term, does anyone reckon that these kinds of point/click computery menus will get usurped by voice activation before long? That's certainly the kind of interface I'd put my money on as being de facto in 10 years' time or so.

Rich

studentflyer
Topic Author

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:25 pm

Anyway... is Mercedes developing an iDrive rival?

If I'm not mistaken, this system is going to premiere in the 2006 S-Class. They say it's going to be similar, but refined. I don't know the details though, because I'm really a BMW fan more than a Mercedes fan, so someone out there could possibly know the details better.

Not sure I'd go with that logic but I'm actually not knocking iDrive, given that I haven't tried it - as much as it pains me to do so :p

I'd recommend that you try one, try it for yourself. If you have time, that is. It's one fine thing, and I believe anyone who is computer literate could do it with ease. Even my dad, who is nearing his 60s and a computer Illiterate, could do it in 2 hours. So I believe it's quite a simple thing...

More long-term, does anyone reckon that these kinds of point/click computery menus will get usurped by voice activation before long? That's certainly the kind of interface I'd put my money on as being de facto in 10 years' time or so.

Well, for this, some cars already have them since the late 90s or early 2000s, but on mid to high-end vehicles. Should be popular soon i guess.....

Regards,
AK

flight152

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 am

A Black, Metallic X5 Sport, 4.4 Litre, 26" 5-Spoke Rims, ]

Incorrect. BMW has standard 20" wheels on the new 4.8is. BMW has never offered anything larger then 20" wheels.

I don't think those who haven't even used i-drive, let alone owning a car with it should be bashing it. Unless you use the navigation system (which is quite simple), you bearly touch the i-drive interface during day to day operations.