Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USAirways737
Topic Author

Teacher Kicked Out Of School For Bush Pic

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:12 am

Forgive me if this a repeat, but I did a search and as you can imagine there are several thousand post about Bush so I might have missed it so be kind.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WABC_100304_middleschoolteacher.html

I would completely understand if she had the picture up because she was talking about the elections, but his picture was next to Clinton, Bush sr., Reagan,...Lincoln...Washington's. This is beyond political correctness as I'm sure even the most liberal person on A.net would agree.

Erik in MSN

777236ER

RE: Teacher Kicked Out Of School For Bush Pic

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:17 am

I wish my teacher showed me bush  Sad
Your bone's got a little machine

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:22 am

I heard this story this morning, and I just don't get it.

Those parents who said to take the picture down, or add Kerry are nuts.
They really should have stayed in school and gotten a lesson in civics.
Yes, they might not like W, but he is still our President.

And this from me.....A dyed in the wool Liberal.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

JAXpax

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:24 am

I don't understand....

The current president Bush has been president for going on four years... why should his picture not be with previous presidents? Why should Kerry's photo be up? He isn't president and isn't even an elected representative from Jersey. If he happens to win the election, then put up his photo.

Sounds to me like the teacher isn't the one with the political motive.

rsmith6621a

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:25 am

To be fair......

If the photo had been up equally as long as the other Presez images I would say no biggie but it appears as though it was a recent addition to the montage thus making it a political statement.........Being on the wall since 2001 or 02,03, is on thing but to have it added so close to the election makes it a personal endorsement in my opinion.

I just wonder how long she has been teaching in that room????

Did You Ever Think Freedom Could Be this Bad

mdsh00

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:26 am

I don't like Bush but this is a completely stupid move. Almost every history teacher has a row of presidents on the wall, and yes, W is one of them.

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:31 am

Rsmith6621a:

No it doesn't make it a "personal endorsement" even if she put up the display on November 1st.

Bush is as mush president as Washington, Lincoln, Johnson, Kennedy and yes even Nixon.

He is an Historical figure, even if we don't approve of him, never the less, he gets to have his pic on the wall.

Shame on the parents who demanded it taken down.

rsmith6621a

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:46 am

There is a difference between a education and a endorsement.....this was a endorsment not meant for educational purposes..........period

I do agree though......Kerrys picture on the wall.....Yes that is going to far...

L-188

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:48 am

Boy I can see one hell of a lawsuit.

Fact is that Kerry has not at this time, held the presidency, something that GW is currently. That dq's him from that board.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JetService

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:21 am

This is unbelievably absurd of the parents that complained about this. And it pisses me off to no end that the school backed them!! I wasn't a big Clinton fan, but his picture was in both my kids' classrooms and it should've been. It belonged there just as the flag belongs there. This teacher having President Bush's picture up is NOT a political statement, but the school making her take it down sure as hell is. What baffoons!!!!
"Shaddap you!"

jaysit

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:29 am

There seems to be more than meets the eye in this story. GWB has been President for 4 years now, and his photograph should have gone up at some time over the past 4 years. I don't understand the controversy. Either this teacher aint saying the whole truth, or the picture of GWB may have been a political poster with his picture on it, or the school district and its parents have gone mad.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

dl757md

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:37 am

Jaysit

Go back to the story and look at the image gallery. It shows the actual picture which appears to be the cover of a greeting card as under the photo of the president and first lady it says "with best wishes" and is signed by both the president and first lady. There is no political inference on it.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

L-188

Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:39 am

Well if you watch the video in the news link that was put up in the original topic, it appears that the photo is a stock one of Laura and George.

Definately not campagin, christmas card maybe.

But I can't actually here the story at this point, because I am using the computer lab at school and the speakers are disabled.

Falcon84

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:26 am

If the photo had been up equally as long as the other Presez images I would say no biggie but it appears as though it was a recent addition to the montage thus making it a political statement.........

You're as wacked out as any conservative, man. That's utter crap, what you said. There were pictures of other presidents, she added the current President, which is perfectly appropriate. How is that a political statement? Explain that to me? You can't, because it isn't.

There is a difference between a education and a endorsement.....this was a endorsment not meant for educational purposes..........period

How the hell do you know? Were you there? Did you talk to her? Did you ask her? You're only saying that because you hate the president more than anyone on this forum. There is NOTHIGN in this that is political endorsement in any stretch.

If I were her, I'd take this to court, and sue that school, and I'd back her all the way. What is wrong with people in this country?

Boy I can see one hell of a lawsuit.

Amen, brutha.
Work Right, Fly Hard

rsmith6621a

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:44 am

The photo is of Bush and Laura......mmmmmmm Id want it removed because the photo of Clinton didnt have Hilary in it or the Image of Regan didnt have Nancy in it....

correction This is plainly a endorsment of the first lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Falcon84......

You forgot to acknowlege this point......

> do agree though......Kerrys picture on the wall.....Yes that is going to far...<

Im not a liberal as you think....

dtwclipper

Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:45 am

This is such utter BS.

What scares me the most about this, is that I am probably in agreement with Bushcheny2004 & Boeing7e7 et al.

Now that is really scary!

NWA742

Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:36 am

Alphafalcon,

I agree with you, except for:

You're as wacked out as any conservative, man.

Now, we know Randy's wacked out, but "as any conservative"............that kind of crap is exactly what destroys your credibility among many members.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

rsmith6621a

Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:12 pm

Announcements from the South Brunswick Board of Education
October 3, 2004
District Statement Regarding Bulletin Board at Crossroads Middle School

In an incident that has recently been reported to several media sources, a claim has been made by South Brunswick Middle School teacher Shiba Pillai-Diaz, that she was fired for not removing a picture of President George W. Bush from a classroom bulletin board. The claim is false. While I am normally reluctant to discuss personnel matters in public, Ms. Pillai-Diaz’ distortions of the facts, along with her aggressive efforts to get herself national media attention, leaves the district no choice but to set the record straight.

http://www.sbschools.org/

She is nothing more than someone like the Father who claimed to have the Bush sign ripped out of his little girls hand who has a reputation for causing problems at other democratic events......

rsmith6621a

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:55 am

Guess my link was the answer some of you were looking for.....

Glad to help clarify this issue for you.

jaysit

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:06 am

Thanks for setting the record straight.

As suspected, there was more to this than meets the eye. Typical of the hypocritical tactics employed by conservative publicity hounds who claim to be discriminated by all and sundry.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

L-188

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:10 am

Or the school board is covering it arse.

ZKSUJ

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:47 pm

So if putting the president's picture on the wall is such a huge talking point, why do people of Britain and the commonwealth do the same with the Queen of England without being in trouble? (not meant to offend anyone)

Banco

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:08 pm

Actually, ZKSUJ, it would be unusual to have a portrait of the Queen in a school here. Not so unusual as to cause any adverse comment, it's just unlikely that's all. Same with the flag, few schools would have a Union Flag in a classroom.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.