Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EA CO AS
Topic Author

The "Can't We All Just Get Along?" Thread

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:32 am

Election 2004 is now in the books - FINALLY!

No more "....and I approve this message," tag lines.

No more "Re-defeat Bush" stickers.  Insane

No more "Swift Boats" and the suddenly-angry men who piloted them (who had ever heard of the term 'swift boat' before this year, anyway?).

At long last - Flip-flops are back to being things you wear on your feet!  Big thumbs up

Congratulations to President Bush on his successful re-election while acknowledging that nearly half of the electorate voted against him - and congratulations to Senator John Kerry for running one helluva tough campaign, but winding it down like a gentleman when the end was in sight.

For the better part of a year, this nation has been a series of battlegrounds. Let's dust ourselves off and move forward, never forgetting that we're all in this together.

In the spirit of showing that life DOES go on and people CAN work together, I offer the unfolding story of Nevada Senator Harry Reid, Democratic front-runner for the Senate Minority Leader position, who publicly acknowledged receiving a call of support from President Bush:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/03/senate.democrats/index.html

Reid also said he had received a phone call from Bush.

"I appreciate that very much. He had no reason to call me, other than the fact that he knows that he's going to have to work with me. I look forward to working with him," he said.

I think it's time to put the gloating (and the whining) behind us. Who's with me?

L.1011

RE: The "Can't We All Just Get Along?" Thread

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:33 am

Me! U N I T E D W E S T A N D

luv2fly

Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:34 am

I do not always agree with you though let me be the first to join you.....

N670UW

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:15 am

It's kind of hard to 'get along' when you have stuff like this lying around:

"Class?

LOL..... is that what all you liberals were doing for the past 6 months or so by whinning and bitching and everthing else about Bush?

Screw you. I think it's f*cking hilarious. Pay back is a bitch.

Have a nice 4 years...
"

"keep it above the waist, the liberals have already been kicked in the nuts... those that have that is"

Yeah sure

N670UW

Usairwys757

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:30 am

Best thread of the day right here. Nicely done EA CO AS, I salute you my felow American.

USA, USA!

Cactus739

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:38 am

when did that annoying "and I approve this message" start popping up?

Now Bush can get back to actually running our country instead of running around on our dime trying to keep his job.

Falcon84

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:41 pm

Sorry, EA CO AS. I've heard that plea from Bush and his supporters, 4 years ago. Request denied.

As I said in another thread. Your extremist friends run the joint, we'll just sit back and watch while you burn it to the ground. Have fun, though!!

sfointern

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:12 pm

America has gone from hero to zero in four years flat. Quite impressive, GWB is.

StevenUhl777

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:47 pm

I think it's time to put the gloating (and the whining) behind us. Who's with me?

I am. I'm almost done gloating...but after, I'm all for moving forward.  Big grin

Bush can work with everyone and truly create a positive legacy, or he can REALLY gloat and get nothing done at all and make it REALLY DIFFICULT for Reps. to celebrate on future election nights. I'd rather take the first option, so that one day I can celebrate a GOP victory with my kids and grandkids. DEEP down, I know that at some point in the future, the Reps. will be in the same spot the Dems. are right now. Hopefully, it will be well after I'm gone, but you get the idea.

BN747

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:57 pm

Sorry, EA CO AS. I've heard that plea from Bush and his supporters, 4 years ago. Request denied.

As I said in another thread. Your extremist friends run the joint, we'll just sit back and watch while you burn it to the ground. Have fun, though!!

I support the spirit in which you're expressing here EA... but I agree wholeheartedly with Falcon84.

I can't get behind what has been a bogus war that's taken so many innocent lives under the ruse put forth. I've always wished for the welfare of our troops (as my brother did 2 stints) and the troops of other nations and the innocent Iraqi civilians. But it should have never occured.

I can't support a global unilateral policy of 'our way or the highway.'

I can't support scapegoating and displaying the face Martha Stewart as that of corporate crime justice when Kenneth Lay should have had a jell cell 3 years before her. (I can't stand pasty Martha anyway.. but fair is fair.. Lay will walk free--watch and see).

I can't support an Attorney General who has more faith in the bible than the constitution.

I can't get endorse any of what happend over the last four years because the same crew feels they now have a blank check taken even further than ever before. And they will. If you think slashed pilot wages and job cuts are bad now... you haven't seen 'nuthin' yet! I feel for the people who have to have two jobs to make ends and now pay half their minimum wage for a gallon of gasoline than ever before...

I don't know if many of you saw the Continental Airlines Express pilots ad where they are very upset about making less than garbage men and prison guards... but that's where things are headed...and many of these same people have themselves to blame. Then, so be it.

BN747

windshear

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:40 pm

I admire your choice to start this topic.

I must say I have been mad and VERY disapointed...
I hope this will not have any negative effect on the world or the US.

But I have seen this world go closer and closer to the edge, and well this election simply shows me, that peace is NOT on any of the sides' tounges...

This saddens me, as Bush, IMO, is a man of war...

I hope this will not broaden the gap in your country, but you lost my confidence and support.
How puny and irrelevant a Euro voice this is, let me just say that I have supported the US and defended the US for 3 years...This is were I say no more...

Good luck and God bless, the world entire...

Boaz...

Boeing7E7

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:34 am

And you wonder why Edwards thought there were two America's?

Klaus

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:41 am

The key to reaching out is always the willingness to acknowledge the possibility of being wrong about contentious issues.

Will there be real discussions or will it stay at "We´re conservative americans so we can´t be wrong and you must take over our opinions or you´re evil and must be destroyed!" That´s how it was during the past four years, so what will you change?

Boeing7E7

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:44 am

From what I can see so far, conservatives are reaching out. Even on Radio save Limbaugh. Liberals on Air America, and peeps like Chris Matthews can only mock the "flyover" country.

aloges

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:55 am

I agree that the whining/gloating/bitching should get better, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier if there wasn't so much to bitch about.

People held at GTMO without any rights?
Four more years.

Bush creating an atmosphere of fear among the American people?
Four more years.

Civil rights getting cut in exchange for the illusion of safety?
Four more years.

The US admin having the "either with [without questions] us or against us" take on intl. relations?
Four more years.

All of that happening in the country that looks at itself as the beacon of freedom and justice?
Four more years.

These are some of the problems people complain and also bitch about, and they're probably not getting any better during the next few years. If they do, great, but I fear they won't. However, cutting the bitching and concentrating on discussing would of course be a good thing. Now if only the people in power were giving an example...  Big grin

US A333 PIT

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:58 am

This is an honest question to all the people who refuse to even make an attempt to make the best of the next 4 years: how do you wake up in the morning and live without the hope of things getting better? I voted for Kerry and am a registered independent but the American people have spoken and I have to respect that, as much of a disappointment the elections results were to me. I'm not going to live in negativity and spite and am going to do my best to voice my support and opposition to this U.S. government and am going to do my best to educate and voice my opinions in good faith, not condesension and negativity. Name-calling, and extreme negativity is only going to make things worse. I commend EA CO AS for at least making the attempt.

jaysit

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 am

None of us live in negativity and spite.

Disliking this Presidential ticket and what it stands for does not mean you do not have a life filled with positive values and happiness.

And if getting along doesn't mean suddenly embracing GWB and his value system and stifling criticism of the man or his policies we are at odds with, then who wants some of you as "friends" (whatever that may mean on an internet forum).

And what are these forums are for? To air your views, right? If Kerry won, I wouldn't expect GWB supporters to suddenly sing "Khumbhaya" and throw their support behind him. Unless he earned it.

This President cannot just talk the talk; he has to walk the walk too.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:51 am

I can't support an Attorney General who has more faith in the bible than the constitution.

Judging from the reports of Bush's Cabinet meeting today, you may not have to for much longer.  Big grin