USAIRWAYS321
Topic Author

Letter To Bush

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:13 pm

Dear President Bush,

Since you're going to have 4 more years as the primary resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I have a few favors to ask you. Think of this as a "To Do" list. I think I have the right to ask that you:

1. Bring my peers home from Iraq and never, ever again send them into an unjustified war.
2. Be humble and admit your mistakes. Believe it or not, changing your mind is ok.
3. Watch your rhetoric. Right now, if I disagree with you I am considered un-American and "with" the terrorists. Let's work on that.
4. Allow civil unions between consenting adults. My friend's mom is happier than she's ever been now that she is with her partner. Let them have some hope.
5. Allow prescription drugs in from Canada - now. My grandparents are running out of money.
6. Stop using scare tactics. People have enough to worry about with their jobs, families and school.
7. Do not laugh unnecessarily. When you make bad jokes you look silly, and most people don't want the leader of their country looking like that.
8. Allow stem cell research. Please, please do this. I don't feel I should have to explain why.
9. Keep Dick Cheney off of TV. He scares so many people.
10. Raise taxes on the rich. Another no-brainer.
11. Stop using September 11th in campaigns where it isn't necessary.
12. Do not refer to yourself as a "war time" president.
13. Do not make decisions based on your religion.
14. Stop giving tax breaks to companies that outsource.
16. Give us back our freedoms that were taken in a "guise" to make us safer.
17. Help fund the arts in schools.
18. Stop the media from destructing the country. Their ethics and supposed "objectivity" disgust me on some days.
19. Apologize for misleading the country about Iraq/WMDs/etc. Even if you didn't know, even if it was bad intelligence - apologize. This country deserves it.

Thank you.

BN747

RE: Letter To Bush

Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:25 pm

Nicely done USAirways321...

But too bad that's the last thing on he and Rove's mind right now..and will be for the next four years. What we just saw over the last for will simply be amplified. Team Dubya sees this 'win' as a mandate to continue doing what they been doing and further his agenda (and that was in print today).

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

N6376M

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:43 pm

Dear Brett,

Thank you for your letter. Let me respond to each of your issues:

1. Bring my peers home from Iraq and never, ever again send them into an unjustified war.

Well Brett, every single one of your peers joined the military under their own volition. When they volunteered for military service they understood that they might be sent to war. I'm sorry that you disagree with my policy towards Iraq, but perhaps when you're a bit older (and maybe finish HS) you'll realize that the world is not black and white and that the decision the President makes have global geopolitical implications.

While the death of any American in the service of our country is disturbing, our casualties in Iraq over almost 2 years are 1/40th the number of Americans who die on our roads each year. The American people elected and re-elected me to lead them. Perhaps one day (between 15 and 19 years from now) you can run for office and get 55M Americans to put their trust in you.

2. Be humble and admit your mistakes. Believe it or not, changing your mind is ok.

I agree that admitting mistakes is fine, but a leader need not define policy based on the ebb and flow of popular sentiment.

3. Watch your rhetoric. Right now, if I disagree with you I am considered un-American and "with" the terrorists. Let's work on that.

Please give me a single example where I've said that? Don't believe everything you hear on CBS. They've been known to be wrong and to represent opinion as news.

4. Allow civil unions between consenting adults. My friend's mom is happier than she's ever been now that she is with her partner. Let them have some hope.

Brett - have you taken American government yet? Have you read the 9th and 10th Amendments. It is not the role of the President to allow or disallow civil union under our Constitution, it's up to the States. By the way, please send me a picture of your mom and her friend.  Big grin

5. Allow prescription drugs in from Canada - now. My grandparents are running out of money.

As soon as the FDA shows that it is safe to do so and Congress allows me to, I will. In the interim, I've passed a prescription drug benefit to medicare that will greatly assist your grandparents. Imagine how much better off they might be today if the 15.3% in payroll taxes they paid over their working lives were invested in private retirement accounts.

6. Stop using scare tactics. People have enough to worry about with their jobs, families and school.

Again, what are you speaking about? Terrorism is a real threat. The biggest danger is complacency. We grew complacent under the previous administration. We believed that the end of the Cold War meant that we were safe. We invited terrorist to the White House. We passed on the opportunity to kill OBL when we had it. Eternal vigilance is the cost of freedom. If we don't do it, who will? The French?

7. Do not laugh unnecessarily. When you make bad jokes you look silly, and most people don't want the leader of their country looking like that.

Yeah, I probably need to work on that.

8. Allow stem cell research. Please, please do this. I don't feel I should have to explain why.

Again, I don't feel that a high school student has any appreciation of the multitude of issues involved in this matter. By the way, stem cell research is still completely legal within the US - my action only limited federal spending on this research to the 12 existing stem cell lines that existed as of Aug 01. You might notice that the voters of CA just authorized over $3b of spending on this research.

9. Keep Dick Cheney off of TV. He scares so many people.

That's very mature of you.

10. Raise taxes on the rich. Another no-brainer.

Have you taken economics in high school. You might want to go read up on the Laffer Curve.

11. Stop using September 11th in campaigns where it isn't necessary.

12. Do not refer to yourself as a "war time" president.

If you don't believe that we are at war against terrorism, you should watch the news a bit more. Put down the PS2 controller and read.

13. Do not make decisions based on your religion.

What decision have I made as a result of my religion?

14. Stop giving tax breaks to companies that outsource.

Please go read Internal Revenue Code Sections 367 and 954. Run a google search on "outbound transfers" There simply aren't any tax breaks for companies that outsource or expatriate. That's okay, they don't cover this in high school and you really can't expect the media to explain all these details to you. You might need to research an issue yourself before mindlessly repeating something someone else told you.

16. Give us back our freedoms that were taken in a "guise" to make us safer.

What freedoms are you referring to.

17. Help fund the arts in schools.

Instead of spending money on arts, it seems that you might be better served spending some time hitting the economics books, the biology books and your civics classes.

18. Stop the media from destructing the country. Their ethics and supposed "objectivity" disgust me on some days.

Please refer to the 1st amendment. In light of that how would you propose I "stop" the media from doing anything? By tthe way, I'm not sure "destructing" is a word - were you trying to say "destroying"?

19. Apologize for misleading the country about Iraq/WMDs/etc. Even if you didn't know, even if it was bad intelligence - apologize. This country deserves it.

I think that over 55M people just stated what they think and what they feel they deserve.

By the way you skipped the number 15 on your list. Perhaps a bit of remedial math wouldn't hurt.

Sincerely,

GWB.
THE PRESIDENT

airplay

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:15 am

While the death of any American in the service of our country is disturbing, our casualties in Iraq over almost 2 years are 1/40th the number of Americans who die on our roads each year.

Justifying deaths in Iraq by comparison to road kill is just plain stupid. When is the cut-off? Does the president have a chart?

As soon as the FDA shows that it is safe to do so and Congress allows me to, I will.

Yes. Because Canada is a third world country that can't possibly have safe drugs...

Again, what are you speaking about? Terrorism is a real threat.

And now its an even bigger threat because of GWB's foreign policies.

Again, I don't feel that a high school student has any appreciation of the multitude of issues involved in this matter.

From what I've seen, the average high school student is smarter than the commander in chief. At very least they generally have a better command of the English Language. The elections in the US have proven that you don't need to pass English to be President.

If you don't believe that we are at war against terrorism, you should watch the news a bit more. Put down the PS2 controller and read.

I guess every President ever elected was a "war" president then.

What decision have I made as a result of my religion?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......

What freedoms are you referring to.

Perhaps the freedom from random searches, secret arrests, phone taps.....

Instead of spending money on arts, it seems that you might be better served spending some time hitting the economics books, the biology books and your civics classes.

Another "enlightened" American who feels that investment in the arts is a waste of money and time.

By tthe way, I'm not sure "destructing" is a word - were you trying to say "destroying"?

I'm not sure "tthe" is a word either.

I think that over 55M people just stated what they think and what they feel they deserve.

So I guess the 49 million other people are now insignificant?

By the way you skipped the number 15 on your list. Perhaps a bit of remedial math wouldn't hurt.

I'll take the math course if you take the English course...

http://www.bushisms.com/

I wonder what the real President thinks of you answering on his behalf N6376m.

N6376M

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:58 am

Airplay - it just pisses you off that W got re-elected doesn't it. Well too bad.

The inferiority complex of Canadians is so obvious in your post. Nobody said that Canada was a third world country. But several tests by the FDA have shown that drugs ordered from Canadian pharmacies over the internet have delivered grey market or phony drugs.

Nobody justified the deaths in Iraq, I just provided a relative framework by which to compare them.

It's also quite funny that even though W's foreign policy has made the world more dangerous, we got attacked before any of those policies were implemented but haven't been attacked since. In any case, you can just sit there under the blanket of protection that we provide - God know the Canadian armed forces couldn't defend anyone against the Salvation Army let alone a real threat.

While you might laugh at the question about religion, your silence on a substantive response is quite telling. Put up or shut up.

As for my English, it's my second language having been born in Argentina. But according to you hitting the t twice in spelling the indicates I'm illiterate. That's okay, you probably think I'm stupid since I voted for W. Your fanatical hatred for anything W is evident by the comment about the average high school student being smarter than the POTUS.

As for the freedoms you are so concerned about, I assume you are referring to the restrictions that came about as a result of the Patriot Act - you know, the piece of legislation Kerry and Edwards supported and voted for.

I'm sure the president is very concerned that I've responded on his behalf.

miamiair

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:08 am

N6376s:

Well Done! You are on my Resp. User list.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

CaptOveur

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:13 am

Nobody is saying Canadian drugs are unsafe. However, in this country we have some of the most rigorous drug standards in the world. If we let in just one drug that was not up to our standards, and people suffered bad side effects you would all turn around and immediately be bitching out Bush for letting in an unsafe drug. These things take time and I am not totally sold on the idea that cheaper Canadian drugs are the answer. Also, drugs cost a lot of money for a reason: The profits from todays drugs fund the research for tommorows drugs. I really wish people would grasp this.

I am lost on what freedoms have been taken away by the Patriot Act. If I am not mistaken weren't most of the laws in that act already on the books but just not enforced?

In our Republic majority rules, the 49 million Kerry voters are not totally insignifigant but it has been shown time and time again that anything any President does is going to piss off around half of the population for some reason, don't sweat the small stuff.

That thing about tax breaks for outsourcing is funny BTW. I hope you don't believe everything you see on TV.

I have said it a thousand times. Taxing the rich into submission is a great way to cripple our economy. "Rich" people are the ones that start/own businesses, they employ people, they buy more stuff putting money into the economy or re-invest their earnings into other companies. Taking more money away from them is a great way to drive them offshore or just take away the incentive to work hard and advance our economy.

We clearly need more Science, Math, Government and Economics in High Schools but education is a state issue, not federal, the last thing anyone should want is the federal government screwing up state education. If my high school had focused more on Science and Math I wouldn't be making myself miserable as an accounting major. Most of the government and economics that I knew before college I had picked up on my own. I had the good sense in high school to realize I wasn't getting an education between 8am and 3pm so I had to learn about some important things on my own.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MidnightMike

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:16 am

N6376m

Excellent post, I enjoyed reading it.....
NO URLS in signature

N6376M

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:24 am

Thank you all.

Though I deeply disagree with many liberals on this forum, I believe that there is much more common ground than what we are led to believe. However, if we are ever going to get beyond the politics of sound bites, we need to address reality and not just spin.

I would love the level of debate in this country to improve. I think that the left has several very valid criticisms about our president - the deficit being the most important one.

Yet, we can't just go around allowing crap like what was originally posted to be spread without having the facts examined.

As you see, in typical fashion, I was attacked personally instead of getting a substantive, fact based response to the point I made.

airplay

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:24 am

It's also quite funny that even though W's foreign policy has made the world more dangerous, we got attacked before any of those policies were implemented but haven't been attacked since. In any case, you can just sit there under the blanket of protection that we provide - God know the Canadian armed forces couldn't defend anyone against the Salvation Army let alone a real threat.

Umm....for one thing, its not just Bush's foreign policy. Past administrations are just as guilty. The US has interfered in the ME as long as I can remember. And there has been conflict just as long.

As far as "protection" from our friends from the south, you are just a victim of myth. It wasn't Canada who was attacked on 9/11. Or don't you remember? Canada's history is relatively free of attacks from others. Except ironically from the US. That's not because the US is in close proximity, its in spite of it. We have never asked the US for military support. We however have had to honor our UN and NATO commitments in support of all the US’s conflicts.

As for my English, it's my second language having been born in Argentina. But according to you hitting the t twice in spelling the indicates I'm illiterate. That's okay, you probably think I'm stupid since I voted for W. Your fanatical hatred for anything W is evident by the comment about the average high school student being smarter than the POTUS.

Bush was born in Argentina? Wouldn't that make him ineligible for President of the US? In case you didn't catch it, I was pertaining to Bush's pathetic linguistic skills...not yours. In your letter, you take on the persona of Bush and chastise someone for their spelling. You represent a leader who uses words like "resignate" and “fallacy” (instead of fallibility) and “subliminabable” and “terriers” (instead of terrorists).

While you might laugh at the question about religion, your silence on a substantive response is quite telling. Put up or shut up.

I laugh because it was completely laughable that someone doesn’t realize that Bush’s policies are mainly based on his personal ideals which are overwhelmingly based on his faith. If you can’t see that, there is no help for you….

But several tests by the FDA have shown that drugs ordered from Canadian pharmacies over the internet have delivered grey market or phony drugs.

Oh really. In your words “your silence on a substantive response is quite telling.” Go ahead and point me to the “several” tests by the FDA.

It appears my friend that you are wallowing in the fear imposed by your leaders.

As you see, in typical fashion, I was attacked personally instead of getting a substantive, fact based response to the point I made.

Attacked personally? didn't you attack the original poster personally?

I wish there was a "disrespect" list....

[Edited 2004-11-05 17:28:30]

jamesag96

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:30 am

"laugh because it was completely laughable that someone doesn’t realize that Bush’s policies are mainly based on his personal ideals which are overwhelmingly based on his faith. If you can’t see that, there is no help for you…."

Nice and fluffy...but not really an answer.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

N6376M

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:37 am

Airplay - here are a good number of articles about the issue. Have fun.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/rx_reimport_problems.html

http://www.uspharmacist.com/index.asp?show=article&page=8_1113.htm

Bren, L. (2002, March-April). Investigators’ report – The Mexican connection. FDA Consumer. Retrieved March 18, 2004, from

Congress of the United States House of Representatives. (2000, September 19). Sanders releases report detailing FDA commissioner’s drug industry ties. Author.

Congress of the United States House of Representatives. (2000, June 14). Sanders’ reasonable pricing for prescription drugs amendment passes. Author.

Food and Drug Administration. (2003, March 21). Warning letter Rx Depot, Inc., Author.

Food and Drug Administration. (2003, September 9). Warning letter Medicine-Mexico. Author.

Hubbard, W.K. (2003, June 13). Statements of William K. Hubbard Associate Commissioner for policy and planning “Canadian prescription drug re-importation: Is there a safety issue?” before the committee on human rights and wellness. U.S. House of Representatives.

McClellan, M.B. (2004, March 11). Statement of Dr. Mark B. McClellan, Commissioner of food and drugs, before the committee on commerce, science and transportation. United States Senate.

Meadows, M. (2002, September-October) Imported drugs raise safety concerns. FDA Consumer Magazine. Retrieved from http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2002/502_import.html

Office of Regulatory Affairs. (2002) Regulatory Procedures Manual (RPM) Chapter 9, Subchapter personal importations. Author.

Pharmaceutical fiscal accountability act of 2002 summary. Retrieved March 1, 2004, from http://www.house.gov.carolynmccarthy/prescriptiondrugsummary.htm

Vivian, J.C. (2004, July 15) Canadian drug imports. U.S. Pharmacist, 28(7).

airplay

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:46 am

How about his plans to use constitutional amendment to entrench abortion laws? How about his definition of marriage and his resultant opinion? How many do you need...or are two instances "firm" enough?

By the way, your articles still don't represent "several studies by the FDA". They mainly represent numerous articles from varied sources. And they still don't make Canadian drugs less safe than American Drugs. I won't bother dredging up articles supporting that....I'm sure A.net wouldn't appreciate the huge loss of bandwidth.

[Edited 2004-11-05 17:50:44]

N6376M

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:51 am

I've never heard Bush say that abortion should be overturned based on religious reasons - if you have, please post the quote. If you can't then stop using this argument because you can't support it.

I do believe that he, as do I and many other Americans, believe that the legal reasoning supporting Roe v. Wade is constitutionally flawed.

As for his definition of marriage, you again show your ignorance about our Constitutional workings. Marriage is a state law issue. Nobody goes to a federal court house and asks for a marriage license. Bush's position is that the matter should be decided by the states, a position which is completely consistent with our division of powers between state and federal governments.

Read up on the actual issues instead of just believing everything you hear.

CaptOveur

Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:55 am

"I've never heard Bush say that abortion should be overturned based on religious reasons"

It wouldn't really matter if he said this or not, it takes more than one man to amend the constitution. Bush alone cannot do this, even though Congress is Republican dominated it is not Republican dominated enough to ramrod an amendment through, and while most of the Republicans talk the talk, when it comes time to vote not all of them walk the walk.

Also, most of the Senate is for maintaining a balance of power on the supreme court so if everyone would just step off and take a deep breath they would see dubbya could not screw us as bad as everyone seems to think he wants to
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:05 am

N6376m, great post. For that, if I could, I would re-add you to my respected users list. Thank you for bringing out the facts, and not just taking this garbage from the left. Excellent.

Dash8King

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:12 am

N6376m, that was a great post and I enjoyed reading it.

L.1011

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:44 am

Great post N6376m, that kind of work is why you're on my respected users list.

Hey Airplay, has it ever occured to you that you aren't being attacked BECAUSE anyone who tries it is going to get their ass kicked? And don't you dare even mention 9/11 or Pearl Harbor. We've proved who's boss with both of those instances. We vanquished the Japanese and the Germans, fighting both at the same time. We have reduced Osama Bin Laden to making home videos from a cave. You haven't been attacked because we are what you call a "deterrant". It's the same reason we have 16,000 nukes.

airplay

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:51 am

You haven't been attacked because we are what you call a "deterrant". It's the same reason we have 16,000 nukes.

Bullshit. The US was attacked twice at the WTC. It has suffered other attacks against its embassies including hostage taking in Iran.

You've been threatened by Cuba and Libya. Its the US that is under attack due to threat of terrorism. Not Canada. If 16,000 nukes was such a deterrent then the WTC would still be standing.

airbus3801

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:23 pm

N6376m, great post. For that, if I could, I would re-add you to my respected users list. Thank you for bringing out the facts, and not just taking this garbage from the left. Excellent.

Actually USAirwaysA321 has brought out the real facts here i.e. name one POSITIVE thing that Bush has done for this country. I am thinking but nothing comes to mind....

N6376M

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:06 am

Please - A 13 - 15 year old who thinks that Bush has ruined the rest of his life. Junior, I'm betting that you haven't even begun to know what real problems are - and the fact that this summer's political conventions have interrupted your viewing of the OC doesn't even come close to qualifying.

baw2198

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:28 am

"We clearly need more Science, Math, Government and Economics in High Schools but education is a state issue, not federal,"

Excuse me??!!! But where do you think the money comes from?

Let me give an example. If the states only took care of themselves and had to fund everything in the education department, then some states would have a good education rate and some wouldn't. The states with the bigger population would have outstanding classes and programs because the tax base is bigger (New York state for instance, California). Now look at the states with less population and you have LESS money to collect and distribute to schools to fund programs and classes (Iowa, Idaho, Alaska). So you need the federal gov't to supply money to all the states to keep education going. The federal tax base provides that money fairly to all so that every student gets the same education from public schools. BTW the states still are in control of the programs themselves, the fed just gives the money to the state for the state to distribute.
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

JOSEMEX

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:32 am

Great post, N6376m.

deltairlines

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:33 am

I must echo the sentiments of all those thanking N6376M for his excellent post. It accurately addressed all the points addressed in the original post, and for that, you have made it to my RU list.

Jeff

peterpuck

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:45 am

You didn't beat the Germans and Japanese by youselves L1011. You people have short, selective memories.

HeyMach

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:55 am

USAIRWAYS321:

A valiant effort! Normally, letters addressed to Dubya are read to him as a bedtime story. Yours, unfortunately, is just too scary - and we don't want to keep little Dubya awake do we? Heavens! if we keep him awake he might just invade another part of our world. Once he starts there's just no stopping him, bless him.

StarAC17

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:55 am

You didn't beat the Germans and Japanese by yourselves L1011. You people have short, selective memories.

Very true, but at the rate the US is telling allies to f-off they are gonna have to fight terror all on their own and it will be nearly impossible to win if you don't know whom your fighting and not having allies that do.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!