Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcs17
Topic Author

Man Kills Himself At Ground Zero Over Bush

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:19 pm

(The title of this thread was going to aptly be named "Loser kills himself at Ground Zero over Bush," but I figured that would last about 10 minutes.)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/nyc-suic1107,0,2157220,print.story?coll=ny-nynews-headlines

Distraught over the re-election of President George W. Bush, a Georgia man traveled to New York City, went to Ground Zero and killed himself with a shotgun blast, police said yesterday.

The suicide victim, Andrew Veal, 25, was discovered just before 8 a.m. yesterday when a worker for the Millennium Hotel looking at Ground Zero from an upper floor saw a man lying atop the concrete structure through which the 1 and 9 subway lines run...

Wow, you're candidate loses and you kill yourself, that's a pretty good sign that you had no value to society as a whole. Killing yourself at Ground Zero, how damn tasteless can you get? I like the quotes from the East Village democrat artist, "I'm very moved by it." Why? How the hell can you be moved by some loser trying to get his name plastered over papers by killing himself in a spot where 3,000 were murdered. Those people had their lives ripped from them, and this loser has the guts to take his own life there. Rest in peace, loser.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

L-188

RE: Man Kills Himself At Ground Zero Over Bush

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 pm

Well your propsed title summed it up pretty nicely.

Sucide is stupid, no matter what the reason. This reason even more so.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DeltaGuy

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:27 pm

Suicide is the easy way out...and to defile such an honored spot such as that area. How did he manage to get a shotgun down there anyways, unless he sawed it off?

Not to sound crude...but if they feel that strongly about Preisent Bush winning again, let em do it..just, in their own trailers.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

vafi88

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:28 pm

I think L-188 just summed up this entire thread in:

Sucide is stupid, no matter what the reason.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Falcon84

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Not to sound crude...but if they feel that strongly about Preisent Bush winning again, let em do it..just, in their own trailers.

Uh, the Bush supporters are the ones living in the trailers, DeltaGuy. You know, those southern white trash-types?
Work Right, Fly Hard

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:48 pm

Rest in peace, loser.

Or more accurately: rest in pieces  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

JBLUA320

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:48 pm

There is a fine line between political difference of opinion and stupidity. This crosses that line... suicide is never the answer.

JBLU

JOSEMEX

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:51 pm

What kind of *sshole kills himself over his candidate not winning an election?

Will Michael Moore include this idiot's death in the extras on the Fahenheit 9/11 DVD's "Special Edition"?

[Edited 2004-11-07 08:09:10]

dl757md

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:52 pm

WOW!
A Georgia redneck distraught over GWB getting reelected. Amazing!
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

NWA742

Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:54 pm

So now, not only do we have a few idiots moving to Canada, but some are going to end themselves because of Bush.

Excellent. Fewer idiots like these, the better. Heck, it's even greater that this guy will be out of the gene pool!

Oh BTW, rest in pieces loser.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AA777

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:07 pm

Hello?

Any brain cells up there? This guy killed himself as a symbol... of course he was disraught that Kerry lost. But, there is a psychological theory (Freud I believe), that says that suicide is essentially acting out murder of someone else on yourself. IE, he intended to kill George Bush, in a way, by killing himself. Its very interesting. Anyhow, maybe this man felt that Bush was responsible for 9/11, which, in my opinion, he was as they let much intelligence slide.... thats besides the point.

The man killed himself at ground zero because he wanted to connect his own suicide with the tradgedy of 9/11. As if to say, George Bush, this is what you did to me, this is what you did to my nation.

It would be interesting to read the suicide note, that is if he left one.

Anyhow thats my Psychological take on this. (I am studying psych at GW, so i DO know a bit about it)...

-AA777

JOSEMEX

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 pm

>IE, he intended to kill George Bush<

So not only was he suicidal but also a would-be assassin?

What an idiot!

This kind of folks (on either side of the aisle) are no better than those sports fans who kill themselves when their national team loses.

What's next, another idiot killing himself because his favorite airline picks Airbus over Boeing?

jcs17
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:17 pm

Or more accurately: rest in pieces

Uh oh, I smell a Rachel Corrie thread coming  Big thumbs up
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

N771AN

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:24 pm

You know, those southern white trash-types?

You mean like your fellow Ohioans?

BMIFlyer

Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:18 pm

Speaking of losers......

We just had a guy last night, who intentionally killed himself here in the UK by driving his car in front of a high speed train. The train was doing 100MPH when it hit the car.

The result was this

The train driver and 7 passengers are dead, and over 100 people badly hurt  Sad

Obviously the car driver died also.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AzoresLover

Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:34 pm

"This election is devastating to all who believe in democracy."

A quote from the article.

Well, apparently democracy is dead, there is no hope in the world, our personal lives have suddenly become worthless and useless.

Give me a break!!

And everyone is right here...suicide solves NOTHING.

I'm wondering what this person was like in his daily life, what those who knew him or were his friends thought of him.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

csavel

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:08 pm

Well, as silly as the act seems,I have a problem making fun of the guy. It sees funny on the surface, but if you think Bush winning was the *real* reason he killed himself, you are very naive, he was obviously mentally ill, probably very depressed before the election. His suicide had squat to do with Bush. That was just a trigger. sorry to sound like a bleeding heart, but if you think it crass to make fun of a diabetic for not having enough insulin in their pancreas, then why make fun of a mentally ill person who obviously doesn't have enough seritonin or whatever chemical in his brain synapses?

Not saying you have to take any crap that an emotionally disturbed person dishes out, but it bothers me when we make fun of people who have some obvious brain disorder.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:25 pm

I agree with Csavel that this person was probably significantly mentally ill and with AA777, that this person probably was so pysch screwed up that he killed himself in substitute for President Bush, which is probably impossible to do anyway. It is unfortunate that this person decided to do this act in a place so sacred to so many. I hope he finds in peace in death.
I do find some of the anti-Bush extremeists condidering going to Canada, Europe to be very stupid. Things are not much better outside the USA in many ways - such as employment, quality health care and so on. Those whom choose to become very militant will perpertrate acts (FBI investigations, laws tighting expression) which are the worst fears of the them.

airplay

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:27 pm

This is quite a tragic story. Any time a young person commits suicide its tragic no matter what the circumstances are. This young man was clearly distraught and felt that he had no other viable outlet.

But in typical fashion, instead of discussing how and why this happened, we just have cold insensitive statements that attack the man personally.

So now, not only do we have a few idiots moving to Canada, but some are going to end themselves because of Bush.

After 9/11, I felt it was time the US looked at why it was attacked. Bush told the public that the "evil doers" attacked the US because they hated freedom. He completely ignored America's role in the steps leading to the attack. It was as if the US was just going along minding its own business for the last 50 years and all of a sudden...BAM.

The fact that this sort of thing is happening is proof that the US is a fractured republic. People are jumping ship. Some are doing it in tragic ways it appears. Its too bad this person felt he had no other outlet or that he had nowhere to turn.

I look on this as an ominous message. Not just some "idiot".

N771AN

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:05 am

After 9/11, I felt it was time the US looked at why it was attacked.

You're feelings are irrelevant... remember?

Falcon84

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:06 am

You mean like your fellow Ohioans?

Down in the southeast part of the state? Down near Censornatti? In west-central Ohio? Absoultely. They fit that bill perfectly.
Work Right, Fly Hard

goboeing

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:10 am

While I think this guy's act at ground zero was stupid and useless, I disagree with something people here have been saying throughout the thread and that is the statement that "suicide is the easy way out."

How can suicide possibly be easy? If it were easy and painless, more people would do it. Do you all think shooting yourself with no immediate incentive is easy? The guy wasn't being held at gunpoint or anything -- he just doesn't like George Bush.

I think that suicide for this guy was the most difficult thing he had ever done.

Nick

L-188

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:11 am

The easy way out probably isn't the way to put it either.

The selfish way out is much more appropriate.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

aa777flyer

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:14 am

Did this guy leave a note??? If he was already dead how do they know he killed him self over GWB?
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

solarix

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:05 am

Man Kills Himself At Ground Zero Over Bush

Good! One less idiot we have to put up with.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Delta767300ER

AlphaFalcon

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:11 am

AlphaFalcon stated the following "Uh, the Bush supporters are the ones living in the trailers, DeltaGuy. You know, those southern white trash-types?"

I know Bush supporters in the north who were white trash. Trash is in every state including yours, not just the south.

-Delta767300ER

SWA TPA

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:27 am

Hey now! I support our President and I am hardly white trash and I certainly do not live in a trailer!!!  Laugh out loud

Speaking of crazed reactions to the election; I know one girl that started crying and totally flew off the handle! She got so upset she had to go home and said she hoped someone shot W in the head and wanted to know where was John W. Booth when you needed him? She was deadly serious too  Sad

I don't know about you but I would NEVER wish anybody bodily harm. You may not like the person or agree with them but such reactions are hardly called for in my opinion.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

theCoz

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:28 am

Hello?

Any brain cells up there? This guy killed himself as a symbol... of course he was disraught that Kerry lost. But, there is a psychological theory (Freud I believe), that says that suicide is essentially acting out murder of someone else on yourself. IE, he intended to kill George Bush, in a way, by killing himself. Its very interesting. Anyhow, maybe this man felt that Bush was responsible for 9/11, which, in my opinion, he was as they let much intelligence slide.... thats besides the point.

The man killed himself at ground zero because he wanted to connect his own suicide with the tradgedy of 9/11. As if to say, George Bush, this is what you did to me, this is what you did to my nation.

It would be interesting to read the suicide note, that is if he left one.

Anyhow thats my Psychological take on this. (I am studying psych at GW, so i DO know a bit about it)...

-AA777

AA777, It's funny to see how the first intelligent post took 10 replies to actually show up. I agree with what you're saying.

So, why are you people so sure that this guy was 'white trash'? Maybe this person wasn't even white. This goes to show how ignorant people tend to make up their own minds about things without even knowing the details.

It's this kind of thinking that re-elects people like Bush.

cfalk

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:42 am

Csavel, Airplay, and others who want to look into "why it happened", etc. Here's what happened - Charles Darwin explained it at length in Origin of Species. An inferior and undesirable piece of the human gene pool was surgically removed from society. Definitely a Darwin Award contender. A genetic dead-end. At only 25, hopefully he did not live long enough to have any offspring (if he has had children, he would only be eligible as a Darwin Award Honorable Mention).

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

srbmod

Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:15 am

WOW!
A Georgia redneck distraught over GWB getting reelected. Amazing!

Hey asshole, not all Georgians are rednecks!

What the above article fails to mention is that he was a graduate of the University of Georgia, where he also worked.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/07/ground.zero.suicide.ap/index.html

I would post the link to the AJC's article on this, but you have to signup and all that stuff, and I know not everybody's wanting to have to do that.

csavel

Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:53 am

Cfalk, I do hope you take the same attitude when someone dies of a heart attack or cancer or other things like that. After all that only means their weak genes couldn't hold out. While we're at it, let's get rid of cripples, the blind, and other drains on the volk before their inferior genes could spread into the population.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

MD-90

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:22 am

Uh, the Bush supporters are the ones living in the trailers, DeltaGuy. You know, those southern white trash-types?

And that's any worse than the Democrats' huge majority in the ghettos? At least the people living in trailer parks actually have JOBS, even if they're blue collar ones just like Alpha 1's job, and they're not welfare queens like so many in the ghettos.

cfalk

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:31 am

Csavel,

My own son died of a heart malformation, so I know what I'm talking about. There's no need to be sentimental about it. Life and nature are not fair. Anyone who thinks they are, or that they should be, or that somehow we can make them fair, is headed for disappointment.

Charles

sv7887

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:41 am

Hi All,
I just think it was an utterly stupid thing to do, especially at the WTC site..More likely than not it was an attempt to garner the attention in death that he craved while alive...I'd concur that this guy likely needed professional help.

As for all these people that are planning on moving away....It's 4 yrs, big deal. The President doesn't have a 2/3 majority in both houses anyway. At the worst people like me will be paying higher taxes in 10 or so yrs just as people did after Reagan. No one likes taxes, but it is not the end of the world. $2 a gallon for gasoline may finally chase all those damn SUV's off the road, so I have no problem with that either.

The predictions of a police state and daily terrorist attacks are plainly ridiculous. It's not like things would have been much different under Kerry anyhow...Kerry would have been stuck in Iraq and have a Republican Congress to deal with. I don't think he would have been able to accomplish much.

For all those Anti-Bush people out there, think of it this way: He can't run again, and in 2008 it will be wide open. Your party is in shambles right now, and instead of whining about the election go clean it up!! It's sad when the Senate minority leader gets voted out of office..A sign of bad times in the Democratic party..

SV

dl021

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:08 am

Suicide is, 90% of the time, the act of a coward or a person faced with certain death who wished to meet fate in his/her own time and way. That said, there are very few who fall into the latter category, leaving most suicides to be the act of a coward who is unwilling to face life. The people who rationalize suicide by claiming mental illness or some other responsibility evading excuse are usually trying to justify the fact that they did not prevent it. Unfortunately the signs are often there that depression and despair has set in and the people who are depressed and their peers and family fail to recognize or deal with them, allowing whatever feelings or actions that were the catalyst(s) for the action to fester and grow.

Notes left by suicides are invariably pleas for attention designed to leave those who read them with feelings of guilt to, even after death, send the blame for ones failed life onto others.

Suicides in our society deserve neither our sympathy nor our attention.

Prevention is another story, and learning to recognize the signs of a person dealing with depression or trauma is very important. You cannot prevent a determined person from taking their own life without depriving that person of their freedom, but you can pay attention to your friends and family and intervene when you see the signs leading to desperate people hurting those around them. The only people hurt by suicides are the people who love the person who gave up.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

dl757md

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:16 am

Srbmod,

Sorry if I offended you. My statement was satire aimed at the people who stereotype the south as being 'a bunch of dumb rednecks'. I should have made it more clear that I was trying to point out that there are people of all types, whether you are talking about GA or NYC, contrary to the sweeping generalizations of many on the left in this forum who can't accept that they are in the minority in this country.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:08 am

"And that's any worse than the Democrats' huge majority in the ghettos? At least the people living in trailer parks actually have JOBS, even if they're blue collar ones just like Alpha 1's job, and they're not welfare queens like so many in the ghettos."

MD-90, you forgot the first thing about the Left. It's ok to make fun of poor white people because they're ignorant rednecks. Then instant you start doing the same about poor minorities you've become Hitler. Duh.
I don't take responsibility at all

airplay

Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:30 am

An inferior and undesirable piece of the human gene pool was surgically removed from society.

Cfalk...if natural selection was perfect, you would have been gone long ago....

cfalk

Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:36 am

And so would you, clearly. But nature is neither perfect nor fair. Deal with it.

jaysit

Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:49 am

"And that's any worse than the Democrats' huge majority in the ghettos? At least the people living in trailer parks actually have JOBS, even if they're blue collar ones just like Alpha 1's job, and they're not welfare queens like so many in the ghettos."

Winner of the stupid over generalization Award is you.

There are many many many people living in urban ghettoes with jobs, just as there are those eking out in existence through the support of the state in predominantly white trailer parks. Visit any major urban center and you will see that most low income service jobs (maids, janitors, etc) are composed of poor black and hispanic people, of whom many still live in poor inner city neighborhoods.

Making fun of either sets of these people doesn't make you a better man.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

EnviroTO

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:32 am

Suicide is stupid but if he wanted to die where many innocent people lost their lives then he should have gone to Iraq where the numbers are much larger. I guess he wasn't willing to make the long trip.

JeffM

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:46 am

"Uh, the Bush supporters are the ones living in the trailers, DeltaGuy. You know, those southern white trash-types? "

Yea, mister career ticket taker has spoken!  Big thumbs up

ConcordeBoy

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:47 am

The fact that this sort of thing is happening is proof that the US is a fractured republic.

Perhaps we should look to a few better democratic republics as examples...
...oh, wait; there aren't any  Insane

People are jumping ship.

...compared to the number who'd give their left lung to come here?!  Nuts  Nuts

Its too bad this person felt he had no other outlet or that he had nowhere to turn

Either you're the most unmitigated dolt I've ever chanced to encounter... or you've got some wry sense of humor that even I cannot comprehend!!  Wow!

...No other outlet? ...Nowhere to turn? WTF sort of nonsense is THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Blackbird1331

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:59 am

Gee, Concordeboy. You seem to know so much about everything. Why don't you run for president?
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

MD11LuxuryLinr

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:06 am

Conservatives would NEVER let him, Blackbird..  Big grin
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:32 am

You seem to know so much about everything.

Nah, I just tend to know what I'm talking about before spewing apocryphal bile... there's a difference  Laugh out loud

Why don't you run for president?

Who'd want that amount of stress/commitment for that little pay??? ...certainly not this misanthropic money-whore  Yeah sure

Conservatives would NEVER let him, Blackbird..

...ah yes, they'd be the only ones I'm sure  Insane

AA777

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:56 am

Suicide is, 90% of the time, the act of a coward or a person faced with certain death who wished to meet fate in his/her own time and way. That said, there are very few who fall into the latter category, leaving most suicides to be the act of a coward who is unwilling to face life. The people who rationalize suicide by claiming mental illness or some other responsibility evading excuse are usually trying to justify the fact that they did not prevent it. Unfortunately the signs are often there that depression and despair has set in and the people who are depressed and their peers and family fail to recognize or deal with them...

That is a TERRIBLE thing to say. You would not say that if someone you loved killed themselves. And if they have, and you do say that, then you.... would seem to be a callous person. Suicide absolutley deserves sympathy and attention, and here is why:

- Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death in the United States, accounting for more than 1% of all deaths.
- More years of life are lost to suicide than to any other single cause except heart disease and cancer.
- 30,000 Americans commit suicide annually; an additional 500,000 Americans attempt suicide annually.

30 thousand. That is a LOT of people. It is an epidemic, and it is a terrible thing that people are so unhappy that they should feel that they must take their lives in order to rid themselves of their feelings. People who do this are sick, their thoughts are irrational. Nobody in their right mind kills themselves, period. (I am talking about depression related suicide, not the kind where someone is about to get caught for murder and they off themselves.) I think if you said that to someone who has had a loved one die by suicide, they would find your words offensive. People who kill themselves are not "idiots" or "stupid" rather they are people who were unable to get the help they needed in time to be saved from their illness. Suicide is an illness, it is an epidemic. It deserves our attention very much.

-AA777

ConcordeBoy

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:02 am

That is a TERRIBLE thing to say.

It's also true

You would not say that if someone you loved killed themselves.

I also would and have...

And if they have, and you do say that, then you.... would seem to be a callous person.

Truth's a b!tch, ain't it?

I think if you said that to someone who has had a loved one die by suicide, they would find your words offensive.

I don't, and I know from 1st-hand experience that many others do not as well...

...why's truth so difficult for you to accept?

they are people who were unable to get the help they needed in time to be saved from their illness

Correction: they were people who were unable.......  Big thumbs up

airplay

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:04 am

Suicide is often a sign of a sick society rather than a sick individual. It amazes me that when Arabs kill themselves, Americans blame the society and talk about how Islam lacks respect for life but when one of their own does it, they distance themselves.....

dl021

Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:27 am

aa777 My oldest brother committed suicide in April of 1986 and I learned alot about the subject. I had a friend commit suicide several years later, in spite of our efforts to reach him and help him deal with his emotional difficulties. Both of these men decided to end their lives in a messy and rapid way that made it very difficult on their loved ones who would find their bodies.

They left notes that indicated they were incapable of dealing with their problems and that they were sorry. I think that was bullshit and that Brien, my brother, was intent on hurting his wife who was the only person likely to find him there in the basement with the shotgun and Jeffrey, my friend, did it in the breakfast room of his fathers house, six months after his mother died, so that either his father or brother would be the ones who would find his body.

If these two people were interested in simply ending things there were ways to do so without making such a statement designed to hurt others. Many who threaten to commit suicide are just looking for attention, those that actuall do it are truly too scared to continue with living and think it will be easier to quit, and while they're at it they are going to hurt those who they wish to blame for their misery. Like I said, they deserve neither our sympathy nor our attention. It is too late for either when it happens, and we should reserve it for the families. We should also find ways to recognize the signs of impending danger in our loved ones, and remember that even when we do sometimes we won't be able to stop it.

airplay...I said in our society. I happen to think that the terrorists are commiting murder when they convince teenagers to kill themselves while murdering others. The teenagers are the most likely group susceptible to the romance and emotional pulls the terrorist leaders use to manipulate these kids.

Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?