Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNE
Topic Author

How Do People Live In Cold Climates

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:33 pm

I heard that some parts of Canada had temperatures of minus 20 and below.
How do people live in such cold climates. In Australia we lead a reasonably out door life and complain when the temperature drops into single digits.

Do you just not go out into the cold except to go from the building to the car. It must take a few minutes to get ready to go outside each time. hats, gloves coats, what a pain that must be.

I was thinking about this while it was 27 degrees today and I was swimming around in the pool after work. Big grin Aren't I lucky.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

solnabo

RE: How Do People Live In Cold Climates

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I´ll tell you, it´s not fun or easy when the temp falls to -35C here!

Daylight is about 4-5 hours, pitch black at 3:30 PM *yack*

The car is stuck under 2 metres of snow and you have to shovel til you almost get a heart attack.........*sigh*

All I can say; U LUCKY DEVIL!!!

Micke/  Sad

Airbus SAS - Love them both

cfalk

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:44 pm

I heard that some parts of Canada had temperatures of minus 20 and below.
How do people live in such cold climates.

We put on a sweater.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Seriously, you go to cold climates and watch how the locals dress. If you copy them, you'll be amazed at how much more they know about dressing warm than you do. I once went to Siberia in January, where it was -32 degrees at 2 o'clock in the afternoon in the sun - I don't even want to think about how cold it was at night. Once I traded in my own clothes for a local coat and hat, it made a huge difference.

Then you have people who simply tolerate the cold better. I've seen people bathing in frozen rivers, but I think that has less to do with genes than simple insanity  Big grin

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ANCFlyer

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:55 pm

You can always put on more clothes . . .  Smile

Sometimes I wonder not so much as How people live up here as Why we live up here  Big thumbs up

Seriously, I prefer it here to the heat and humidity down south. But occasionally, couple times a year, I make a Maui run.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:01 pm

Coldest temperature I ever endured was -20 Farenheit one night. I don't see how you get used to THAT, but go up to northern Alaska, and they do all winter long.  Smile

"Normal" cold, which in Cleveland is anywhere from 15 degeres F to 32 F, you just deal with it, dress warm, and keep a fire going in the fireplace.

I did go to a pro football game once here, where it was -4F at gametime, and the windchill was -45F. That was fun.  Nuts
Work Right, Fly Hard

ly7e7

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:30 pm

I spent a few years in Siberia in my childhood. The lowest temperature I recall is -56C (in YKS). As Cfalk correctly stated - you have to wear appropriate clothes. Or as the Germans say :

Es gibt kein schlechtes Wetter... sondern nur schlechte Kleidung

Right now I live in warm climate  Smile
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

pyh

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:31 pm

I don't know if you have read this, but this might be a right topic for this joke.

+15°C / 59°F
This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here.

People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves.
The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10°C / 50°F
The French are trying in vain to start their central heating.
The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5°C / 41°F
Italian cars won't start.
The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0°C / 32°F
Distilled water freezes.
The water in Vantaa River gets a little thicker.

-5°C / 23°F
People in California almost freeze to death.
The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10°C / 14°F
The Brits start the heating in their houses.
The Finns start using long sleeves.

-20°C / -4°F
The Aussies flee from Mallorca.
The Finns end their Midsummer Celebrations - autumn is here.

-30°C / -22°F
People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth.
The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40°C / -40°F
Paris starts cracking in the cold.
The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50°C / -58°F
Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole.
The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60°C / -76°F
Korvatunturi (Santa Claus lives there) freezes.
The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70°C / -94°F
The false Santa moves south.
The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their traditional booze Koskenkorva outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183°C / -297.4°F
Microbes in food don't survive.
The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273°C / -459.4°F
All atom-based movement halts.
The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today."

-300°C / -508°F
Hell freezes over.
Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

Big grin

Actually in summer the tempereture is higher than +15C.

airplay

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:25 pm

I did go to a pro football game once here, where it was -4F at gametime, and the windchill was -45F. That was fun.

At -4F, the wind would have to be howling at about 100 mph to achieve a windchill of -45F. I think someone is exagerating!

Smile

Its -22C this morning in Winnipeg. With the windchill it feels like -34. We can get down to -40C but it doesn't happen very often. On an average winter we see a few -30C days. Its quite tolerable if you dress properly. Its also quite dry here so that helps. I feel much colder in Montreal at -10 then I do in Winnipeg at -30.

[Edited 2004-12-21 15:29:15]

Falcon84

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:31 pm

Well, the temp was -4, and the winds were about 35mph, so that's prolly around -37.

The next year, in the AFC Championship game in Cincinnati, the Bengels and Chargers played. The game time tempature was about -15, with 35 mph winds. I did NOT go to that game.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 pm

-4F with winds ar 35 mps would give a wind chill facotr of -34F. The winds would have to be about 65mph or so to get -45F. I think someone else was exaggerating with 100 mph winds as well.

RT514

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:52 pm

I enjoyed that, Pyh.

I currently reside in one of the coldest major Canadian cities during the winter months and I've also resided in Australia (on the south coast, though, far from the hottest Australian locales). I think it's amazing how one can adapt after just one year (or probably moreso, after one cycle of seasons). After such a short time, the extreme opposite of what you're currently in already seems, well, extreme, despite having experienced it without complaint just one year before.

I find that extreme cold is much more bearable than extreme heat, as "bundling up" quickly remedies the cold, while there isn't anything that one can readily do to remedy the heat (short of being naked or having a pool to jump into).
Speaking of extremes, the hottest I've ever experienced was 44 degrees Celsius in Las Vegas, USA and the coldest was about -43 degrees Celsius in Winnipeg (commonly referred to as "Winterpeg") Canada. Alas, I'll be here this winter so it's right around the corner again.  Sad

SlamClick

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:54 pm

Except that at somewhere around 70-80 mph the wind no longer causes "wind chill" but actually starts heating again - ram rise I suppose.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

electraBob

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 am

The cold weather isn't the main problem for me....it's the lousy darkness....and believe me, the older you get, the worse it gets. I'd like to become a great big furry bear, find a nice medium-sized female bear and a warm cave....and sleep until April 1.

On the bright side....today is the shortest day of the year (9 hours, 5 minutes of daylight here in Detroit).....it's all uphill from here  Smile
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

airplay

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:29 am

I get my windchill news here:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/iln/tables.htm

-4F with 100mph winds gives me -45 windchill. Really. 65 MPH gives you a balmy -40 windchill.

Smile

VSlover

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:36 am

what i always think of on days as cold as today (in nyc) is how did the people live befor modern conveniences as heat--or in the stifling humid and hot summer days-a/c

people surely must have had serious body odor. couldnt have been at all pleasant.

JUANR

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:01 am

And people in my country keeps telling that my city is a freezer when the average temperature all year round is 14ºC!!!

Juan
SKBO
Bogotá: 2600 Metros Más Cerca De Las Estrellas; Vamos por los XVII Juegos Nacionales!!!!!!!!!

levent

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:03 am

I remember once flying back from holiday in Thailand, there was this young Thai guy sitting next to me who was going to visit his sister in Holland for the first time, it was 6 January and already in the plane he was sitting in his chair with a thick winter coat! When we arrived in Amsterdam in the early morning, there was snow and ice everywhere and even the finger´s floor was frozen. Poor guy... I think he was reluctant to leave the plane.

Then again, later on, after having lived in Thailand myself for 4 months I got pretty adapted to the daily 30 degrees celsius and then winter came... the temperature dropped down to a freezing 25 degrees! I didn´t walk around with ice caps and gloves like the Thais, but did have to put a jacket on  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aloges

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:04 am

I'm usually fine as long as it doesn't get below -10°C or -15°C, if I'm not hungry, tired or thirsty. It really depends a lot on this.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Yu138086

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:23 am

The ones with money don't! They simply head south. Such extremes are unbearable. For those who have not "fled" but can, it's simply a case of them not wanting to experience the green grass on the other side of the fence. In Canada, its common knowledge that the lucrative air routes head North-South during winter months and EAST-WEST during the (our) summer. As soon as the Canadian geese start flying south is when most "Snowbirds" follow.

4 months living in sub zero temperatures - No Thanks! No wonder Canada has to offer universal health care. If they didnt, they majority would simply pick up and leave. BTW, the healthcare is nothing exceptional as its goverened by the almighty $$. Citizens don't come first - but thats for another thread.

aerobalance

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:27 am

Horror stories. Complete, absolute horror stories.

Greetings from Sunny Southern California,
TS
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

airplay

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:33 am

In Canada, its common knowledge that the lucrative air routes head North-South during winter months and EAST-WEST during the (our) summer.

No shit Sherlock....even in the summer, favorite vaction spots often include places with a beach. But don't sell a winter vacation in Canada short. There's plenty to experience.....if you're not a pussy.

4 months in sub-zero is better than 12 months of dodging road-rage bullets in So-Cal or ducking crime in Miami. Of course you don't have to worry about health care....most don't survive long enough to require it.

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:48 am

Lucky Me.  Big thumbs up
Max 30degC
Min 15degC
Comfortable.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Arrow

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:02 am

"4 months in sub-zero is better than 12 months of dodging road-rage bullets in So-Cal or ducking crime in Miami. Of course you don't have to worry about health care....most don't survive long enough to require it."

Nice shot Airplay. You beat me to it. Maybe Yu138086 will start a thread on that topic now. Why do I think he'll fill it full of half-truths, exaggerations, and outright fibs? Maybe we can buy him off with a flu shot.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

DIJKKIJK

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:06 am

Lucky Me
Max 30 degC
Min 15 degC
Comfortable

Just wait till it is summer in Mumbai, Mel, and we'll all be laughing at your expense  Big thumbs up

Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

USAirways737

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:16 am

I love having four unique seasons so winter to me is just another season to look forward to. Each season has its offerings. I look forward to skiing in the winter and swimming in the summer. I laugh my ass off when I hear the people that came to WI from FL or CA complain about 32F, because I knew that eventually it would be below zero, and guess what, three days ago it got to -2F. It was hilarious watching them walk out of the building in layers of scarves, mittens, puff jackets, hats etc.

Erik in MSN (later tonight MSP, I'm going home!)

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:29 am

Just wait till it is summer in Mumbai, Mel, and we'll all be laughing at your expense
Thats when I visit you in Netherlands DIJKKIJK  Big thumbs up
On a serious note.Let me Enjoy my Winter of 2 months  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

peterpuck

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:30 am

It builds character people. I've seen -45, but I was dressed appropriately and comfortably. I feel sorry for anybody who goes through life without experiencing the joys of winter sports. Hockey on the pond, skiing, snowmobiling, building snowforts for a huge snowball fight, tobogganing, winter camping, all are as important to my life as the beach is. I love the change of seasons here!

StarCruiser

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:32 am

It's all relative. I live in IND, and regularly go to the market wearing shorts when the temperature is 5C or 42F. I am hardly alone. Yesterday due to howling wind and some snow, I wore long trousers. More snow is on the way, and I suspect we will be -20C or -5F by Christmas. That's cold for us.

I remember some years ago when I lived in YYZ going to a gathering on a Sunday night. On the way home in the far northern suburbs I arrived too late for my regular connection and had to wait for two hours in the cold as all the stores were closed. It was -35C or -31F and that's air temperature, not wind chill. (The two scales meet at -40). By the time I finally got home, it took me two more hours to stop shaking with cold. I think that's the coldest I have ever experienced out in the weather.

On the other hand, I gripe and complain when the temperature gets above 25C or 78F. Hot weather is far worse in my mind. I was at a convention in LAS last year and the temperature was 47C or 117F. People kept saying, "But it's a dry heat" as if that were to make me feel more comfortable. You can keep it. Hot is hot. I will never return to the desert except in the dead of winter.

Inbound

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:42 am

well, here in the caribbean..... tee hee :p

I lived Canada a while back, both in Toronto and Winnipeg.

to be quite honest, I would trade the heat any day for the cold.

when it's too hot and humid, you feel like you are stuffed up, can't breathe, your clothes stick to your skin and the sun burns you.
the heat drains all your energy too.
and they say west indians are lazy :p

at least when it's cold, you can dress to suit. a good coat that seals at the neckline and a wool hat and you're good to go.

Maintain own separation with terrain!

Turin_airport

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:43 am

+5°C / 41°F
Italian cars won't start.
The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

+5°C is the average winter temperature here in Turin, and we use our cars everyday, and everynight too!

Cheers  Smile

T_a

Alessandro

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:50 am

I think it´s much easier to get used to heat (drink water without being thirsty, avoid coffee, CC and beer during daytime). Cold is more wicked,
I never adjust to it, despite living in Sweden most of my life....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Derico

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:50 am

Dry & hot summers (lows around 15C, highs around 34C), crisp autumn days (lows around 7C, highs around 23C), cool to cold winters (lows around -3C, highs around 7C)... that's the weather I'm used to the most and I think it's the best. Not suffocating hot, not bitterly cold.

I like Florida weather in the winter, when there is not a lot of breeze. The summer weather plain sucks.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

ScarletHarlot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:16 am

Yu138086:

No wonder Canada has to offer universal health care. If they didnt, they majority would simply pick up and leave.

WTF? What a dopey thing to say. Canada certainly has more to offer than universal health care.

I grew up in a good cold city in Canada - Thunder Bay, Ontario. It got down to -40 as a low for at least one week every winter. That, to me, was normal. It was cold, but wasn't the end of the world. When it gets that cold you go out only as much as you have to. There are other interesting things that happen when it's that cold:

- you should wear a scarf over your nose and mouth to pre-warm the air before you inhale it
- if you don't, and you pinch your nostrils together, they will freeze shut for a moment or two
- the side of your car tires that have been on the ground freeze that way, so for the first few minutes that you drive you have 'square tires'
- you cannot clear the streets of snow and ice, so there is a layer of packed snow on all streets, which the city sands so you have traction

But on the other hand, going out and playing in -20C was no big deal. I'd walk to school in that weather, or go out in the backyard and play in the snow.

The most beautiful part of that weather is a cold, clear morning, with the sky so blue, and the sun shining off a fresh fall of snow so it looks like diamonds, and steam coming off the houses. Now that I miss. That and skating outside at night with the stars bright overhead. Seattle is a beautiful city, but this rotten brown-green wet winter really gets me down.

Peterpuck described the joy of winter best. I remember when I was growing up I thought everybody had weather like ours. I was horrified and astounded when my parents told me that there were places in the US that didn't get snow at all. I was absolutely flabbergasted when they told me that there were places in Canada that rarely got snow! This just didn't make sense.

I still can't stand heat. Anything over 25C is too hot for me. My hands and feet swell and I get very cranky.
But that was when I ruled the world

Usairwys757

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:19 am

I did go to a pro football game once here, where it was -4F at gametime, and the windchill was -45F. That was fun.

Falcon, can you really call the Browns a PRO football team???  Big grin
Inactive.....

seb146

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:22 am

I endure a Portland winter just to be in the Portland summer. So far this year, the winter has been good. Above 0C during the day and very little rain. It will be bad for the crops in the spring and summer. I have a feeling this summer will be cooler and wetter than most, unfortunately. Warm Portland summers are great: About 20C and just enough humidity that the breeze makes things lazy. Aaaaahhhhhh.....

GO CANUCKS!!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LH423

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:15 am

Well, last night it went down to -16C here in Providence. It's not unusual to see a few days that reach -20. The coldest day last winter was -25. The average winter day is about -3 going down to about -12 at night. It's not the cold that hurts it's the wind. I went out last night and it was -15 when I was out and when the wind wasn't blowing it was fine. As soon as the wind kicked up (wind chill was about -25C) it would hurt because it would go right through your trousers.

Frankly living in a cold climate is all about adaptation. You get used to it. In July 10C is freezing. People around here will wear bitch about how cold it is. On the other hand 10C in February is beautiful. Just because we're not used to it.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

csavel

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:27 am

Funny, I ask that about peole who live in Houston or Orlando.
Give me winter over summer any day of the year. As others have said, at least you can put on a coat. I spent one year in Miami and it was hell other than say Nov to Mar. heat and humidity every day, forget about outdoor sports other than being in a pool, but once you are out even for five seconds, you begin to sweat and feel lethargic. Other people loved it so I guess it was me. I just could never get acclimatized. But New York in July is often gross as well, give me Seattle weather any time!

Although NYC doesn't get as cold as some of the other cities, it can and does have a few nights every year where it goes to single digits farenheit. Do you know what I do? Cross Country ski or snow shoe if there is ice, or if not, I hike. Remember, even if you are in shape, your muscles aren't efficient, you'll produce so much waste heat it is amazing how fast you heat up. Once I was hiking in NJ with an air temp of -1F, after twenty minutes, I had to take my hat and gloves off to cool down.

PS why is CC Skiing considered cool and macho, but when I snowshoe, even the grannies look at me? What is wrong with snow shoeing?
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

airplay

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:10 am

PS why is CC Skiing considered cool and macho, but when I snowshoe, even the grannies look at me? What is wrong with snow shoeing?

Around here snowshoeing is considered far tougher than any sort of skiing. I guess speed is glamourous. Of course snowshoeing is easier than going for a hike in deep snow with normal footwear.

Then again, I've never considered showshoeing a sport. Its just a way to get around. And no....you won't see anyone walking around with snowshoes in Winnipeg. It's purely one of those rural things and only in deep snow so you have to travel fairly far north of here to see them used much.

agill

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:40 am

-20C isn't that bad, I've even been out skiing in -40C. That was pretty cold and the poor guy tending the skilift probably could have been excused if he killed me then hehe

Sabena332

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:47 am

It is really cold here since yesterday (-3°C) but sunny and I am still driving with open roof thanks to AIRSCARF and the windblocker.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

prosa

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:55 am

Macho? I always thought of CC skiing as appealing mainly to the New Age granola types.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Arrow

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:31 am

"PS why is CC Skiing considered cool and macho, but when I snowshoe, even the grannies look at me? What is wrong with snow shoeing?"

Very simple. On skis, you slug your guts out to get to the top of the mountain, then you take off the skins, and have a glorious time skiing down. Time up -- 3 hours; time down -- 20 minutes.

On snowshoes, you slug your guts out to get to the top of the mountain. Then you turn around and slog your guts out to get back down the mountain again. Time up -- 3 hours; time down -- 2 hrs. 45 minutes.

I've never understood snowshoeing, unless you blew your knees out somewhere.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:45 pm

I´m fed up of working outside in the cold. Additionaly I hate the long nights. Working nightshift, I rarely see daylight for about 6 weeks in winter (going to bed at about 7 am, still dark, waking up around 4 pm, dark again).
As soon as I can find decent jobs for my girlfriend and myself in some warm country I´ll move there.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

CVG777

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:46 pm

Today, in sunny Key West, the temperature was about 75F (24C) and overnight lows are to be about 65F (18C). I see myself walking around in shorts for the next many days.

What was that? Yesterday was the first day of winter?  Big thumbs up

I actually don't mind the cold climates, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would rather visit for several days than weather the winter. I like the snow and below freezing temperatures in small doses. Thats the northern exposure I prefer. However, I do handle the cooler weather much better than most people I know. Come the upper 50s, most Floridians are bundled up in winter parkas. Even friends at college who are from the northern states start getting cold when temperatures drop below "warm." I might put on a long-sleeve t-shirt. In true Floridian style though, low 50s is pushing it.  Big grin

-Mike

ScarletHarlot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:07 am

Well...it's -28C in Winnipeg today and -24C in Thunder Bay. A nice winter day. "But it's a dry cold!"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
But that was when I ruled the world

AAplatnumflier

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:12 am

What is it 70 or 75 down here SoCal... So nice to be warm

iowaman

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:52 am

It's up to +6F here right now with the sun shining, actually feels kind of warm. We probably wear the same clothes when it's 0 degrees F out as they do im MIA when it's 40 degrees out.

san747

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:11 am

I live in Southern California, and hate that we never get a real winter. In November, it was in the 40s and one day it actually snowed, but it was all a big tease, because as soon as December rolled around, it began going into the 70s and I actually had to take off my sweatshirt. Oh well, now for Xmas vacation I'm in Minnesota and New York (upstate), so I'm lovin' it! (BTW no reference to the extremely annoying McDonalds ad campaign.)
Scotty doesn't know...

AA777

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:41 am

I live in Washington DC, and let me tell you, the other day it was BITTER COLD.... something like 14 degrees F, and -5 Degrees F w/ windchill. I was was wearing all sorts of warm clothing, yet i froze my buns off.... that is Washington for you... Then two days later it hit 65 degrees. Then now its back in the 30's (0 C.).... Every day here is a different story. Never is it constantly cold.... this is only in winter though..... because in summer...

It gets to be 95 everyday, and HUMID HUMID HUMID...... the weather becomes disgusting.... ick... but, you cant beat our spring and falls.  Smile

-AA777

airxliban

Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:31 am

i'll tell you its pretty damn cold in Los Angeles right now.

I didn't even want to get out of the car yesterday to go shopping coz my ears were about to freeze.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.