Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theCoz
Topic Author

Why Is Church So Boring?

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:24 pm

I grew up going to church. All the stuff I learned while going, could be crammed into a single, 1 credit hour class.

It was hours and hours of boredom listening to some guy rant about this and that and no matter what anyone says, he's ALWAYS right, but no one really quite knows why.

I remember the preacher always talking about how we soon have to go live in the mountains and how God was gonna melt a bunch of us if we didn't go. Something about the end of the world. I dunno.

We kept hearing about this Jesus guy who loved us but never bothered to stop by the church to say hi. But then they say a bunch of people decided to kill him a long time ago. Sure, he'll stop in to see you some day cause he went off into space. As a very young child, that's about all I could make of it.

Some days were okay cause you got to drink grape juice and crackers, but the service was extra long. It kind of cancelled things out.

As I grew older I began to appreciate it a bit, but now I only go on holidays.

What are your thoughts on the actually experience of going to church? Is it a positive one, or a negative one?

aerobalance

RE: Why Is Church So Boring?

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:31 pm

It could be boring to the folks who are ADHD....

I find church to be relaxing.

When I go...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

sleekjet

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:44 pm

If your church hasn't helped prepare you for the outside world, it has failed and you should look around.

My current church features a brilliant, young preaching minister and a praise service that never ceases to inspire me. If illness or traveling conspire to keep me away, my week gets off to a bad start and I carry that on my back until the next Sunday.

God knew what He was doing when He had us gather together for mutual edification.
II Cor. 4:17-18

UAL747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:47 pm

If you are bored with church, come to some of the black bapstist churches here in the south. CRAZY spiritual stuff going on in there. It's a great up-lift from all the WASPy churches.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

phxairfan

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:01 pm

I have to admit that I fall asleep quite frequently during synagogue. Its not for lack on interest, its just usually I was out late the fri night before. Also, our service is generally about 3 hours long and in hebrew (which I don't speak) so boredom usually takes hold. Can't really say that I have ever been uplifted during a service, mostly due to the fact that I don't understand what I'm saying.

BN747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:17 pm

I know if I set foot inside one... it would surely be wiped out by an extremely powerful and sudden bolt of lightening...

...it's why I only attend wedding receptions...and not the ceremonies!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

airlinelover

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:47 pm

Church is boring becuase there are no more hangings!!!! Imagine the excitement all those hangings must have cuased..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Superfly

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:49 pm

Thecoz:
The good lord is gonna strike you down!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Laugh out loud

I was raised in the Catholic Church. As a little kid I found it boring but as I got older I found it interesting from a historical point of view. I was even an Alter Boy at one time. Hard to believe that Superfly was once an Alter Boy.
I certainly have no rejection of the Catholic religion today and I was glad to have that experience as a youngster.
My father's side is Methodist and I've gone to Black Churches with my grandmother years ago a couple of times. Just like all the other White Protestant/Baptist sects or Christianity, it's nothing more than show business but on a much smaller scale. Some find it spiritual, I see it as entertainment. I must admit, I like the sound of a howling organ with s syncopated bass and drum rythm.  Smokin cool
In the Catholic Church, we had a pipe organ.

BN747:
...it's why I only attend wedding receptions...and not the ceremonies!

Agreed!  Big thumbs up
Bring back the Concorde

airlinelover

Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:57 pm

Should have known Superfly would like the churches.. Old-style music and all  Big grin

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Superfly

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:10 pm

Airlinelover:
Actually I am pagen secular humanist now.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

ZKSUJ

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:37 pm

Anyone go to confession recently, I went and it took 3 fuc*ing hours to complete.

Church ain't that bad. Theres a priest down the road who gives 2 minute speeches and you are out of the church within half an hour of the start.

levent

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:48 pm

"Anyone go to confession recently, I went and it took 3 fuc*ing hours to complete."

Jeez ZKSUJ, you must have done something awful!  Smile

Or shouldn´t I ask this?...

ZKSUJ

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:50 pm

Nah mate, it was 8 preists and 200+ people, thats why and I was at the back.

NWADC9

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:16 pm

That pastor is spiritually dead. No where in the Bible does it say that you MUST climb a mountain or God's gonna zap you.

"Anyone go to confession recently, I went and it took 3 fuc*ing hours to complete."
Nope, I'm not Catholic. Why should I go to some person with a black cape and yap my sins when I can just pray to God (oh, no, the government's gonna ban this post! I said "God"! AHHHHHHH Big grin)
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

Superfly

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:52 pm

NWADC9:
No need to worry. Our government is under seige from religious fanatics (GOP) that hates Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddist, Hindus, Black Christians, Non-religious and all other non-WASP.
So pray to your God all you want. When all is said and done, you'll still end up 6 feet under with other non-believers and members of different faiths of all colors, social economic class and sexual orientations.
Go on and keep-a-prayin' till the lights go out.

ZKSUJ:
Sounds like you and 200+ people wont be getting any gifts from Santa Clause this Christmas!  Laugh out loud
Y'all aint nuttin' but a bunch of Gawd damn SINNERS! > Acting devilish  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

JGPH1A

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:11 pm

If your church hasn't helped prepare you for the outside world...

What has church got to do with real life ? Let's illustrate, shall we ?

[CHURCH] <--------------------(a million miles)----------------------> [REAL LIFE]

Church is about believing desperately in things you hope are real but will never know for sure. Real life is about things you absolutely know for sure are real but wish desperately weren't. Not the same thing at all.

Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

airplay

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:16 am

Try attending church naked. It will liven things up considerably...

daedaeg

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:18 am

Thecoz if you're bored with your current church try a different one. I'm always uplifted and moved when I attend church. Some churches are more lively than others, but you have to go out and explore which one is right for you.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

Titch

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:46 am

JGPH1A,

What has church got to do with real life ? Let's illustrate, shall we ?

[CHURCH] <--------------------(a million miles)----------------------> [REAL LIFE]

My thoughts exactly!

Welcome to my Respected Users list!  Big thumbs up

Cheers,
Titch
I'll make weapons out of my imperfections

NWADC9

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:15 am

"Try attending church naked. It will liven things up considerably..."

Airplay, is that from your personal experience? Laugh out loud
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:48 am

It helps when things go tough.Sundays is on for me always.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

BREmer

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:55 am

Church can have a whole lot to do with real life. Even the Bible is full of stories that can help you along with your daily life. The problem is just that it was written just a "couple" years ago so that people in today's world have hardly any relation to the subject matter. Another problem is that many meanings are twisted so you can interpret them in all kinds of ways, which is frequently used by political groups to get people behind their radical ideologies.

To me, a good pastor is someone who can apply religion to daily life. Unfortunately there aren't too many of those out there. But I think this is the fault of the church administrations, who are light years behind the population. They hold on to their old scriptures, let theology students learn ancient Greek and Latin, uphold old traditions (like Catholic priests who are not allowed to marry) instead of considering how they can modernize the message that their religion carries. If the discussion about religion and real life would move more towards the center of theology, I'm sure there would be a lot of benefits for both sides.

Just my $ 0.02  Smile
Lukas

yukimizake

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:34 am

"As I grew older I began to appreciate it a bit, but now I only go on holidays."

As I grew older I realized its all crap, guilt/fear based morality bullshit. If you find it boring you could always find something more productive to do on Sunday mornings, like sleeping in after a night of drinking with your friends.

eham

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:45 am

Currently visiting Crossroads International Church here in Amsterdam!
Lots of great people and a good pastor who inspires people to relate faith to everyday life.

Just drop by when you're in the Amsterdam area  Smile

http://www.xrds.nl

QANTASforever

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:54 am

My family are all buddhist, but I married a devout catholic - so I have only recently been exposed to baptisms, mass, confession etc etc.

Some craaaazy stuff in there. And although I would never say this to my wife or my Catholic baptised children - I don't believe a word of it.

*Goes back to reading his copy of The Da Vinci Code and smiles knowingly*

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:46 am

Qantasforever, you know it's mostly ficition (the De Vinci code and the Bible).
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Boeing7E7

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:06 am

Didnt' know Church was supposed to be a party...

bravo7e7

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:24 am

Come on! The DaVInci code is by no means accurate.

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:37 am

Bravo7e7 said

Come on! The DaVInci code is by no means accurate.

I agree, hence reference to it being fiction. Although it does raise some interesting points regarding Jesus' mortaility. This is consistent with the Koran (sp ?) that recognises Jesus as one of many prophets.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

bravo7e7

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:41 am

I like to read books which are opposite to my views, i.e My Life, The DaVinci Code. It baffles me though how some people really use The DaVinco code as a reference assuming it is true. If someone quotes the bible it is viewed as bologna by some and they fight it with the DaVinci Code.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:58 am

Because it's essentially a history class about just one small period of history, but one that billions of people take REALLY seriously.  Big grin

Seriously though, if you're exposed to attending church as a kid, you probably drew your conclusions of church from what you experienced in your formative years - and to most kids, church is simply a weekly reminder that there was actually something worse than school!

Face it; to most kids, church is boring...and when they become adults, sometimes that memory keeps them from wanting to go on their own. People who willingly come to church (instead of being forced to do so by their well-intentioned parents) get far more out of it, IMHO.

[Edited 2004-12-23 02:05:19]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

747srule

Why Is Church So Boring

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:59 am

If you are in a personal relationship with Jesus, church won't be boring. After all, He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!!! He needs to be at the center of your life.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

DeltaGuy

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:23 pm

Church was boring to me until I got saved by Jesus Christ...then it was very worth getting up for (when I do manage to set my alarm lol).

I will say though, sometimes you go to some over-zealous churches where the pastor thinks everything they say is God-honest truth, and all the congregation just nods their heads in approval....I've learned that sometimes you need to double check what you don't find to be correct, it's part of being a good churchgoer.

I'm an Episcopalian/Lutheran, so the Catholic Church is too much, but the Baptist church is too free for me (especially the Southern Baptists, went to a school affiliated with them for awhile)

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Delta767300ER

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:16 pm

I've been to a lot of different church denominations services and have found some to be more boring than others. I am a Roman Catholic and I am never bored when attending mass. When its over I leave the church feeling stress free and in high spirits. Most of my family are Southern Baptists from Tennessee and early on in my life I realized I did not want to be a part of that. I found the Baptists to radical,rude,racial and very very very God fearing. I found the Pentacostals to be about even or sometimes even worse than the Baptists. Before I was Catholic I went to a United Methodist Church for a couple years and then a Presbyterian Church for another year. I dont have any hard feelings against the Methodists or Presbyterians and occasionally visit them with friends. I realized the Roman Catholic Church suited me best and made my life a lot better.

-Delta767300ER

SFOMEX

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:46 pm

Church is boring if you don't love it, as simple as that. Imagine for just one second how would be to live with a spouse or partner that you don't love? Like hell, isn't? You need to love that especial person to realize that living together is the best thing you could ever do, despite the many bad days that you will always have. It's just the same about God and Church. I'm Catholic and I can tell you that I love God and his Church. Of course, I've attended plenty of Sunday Masses where you pity the priest who seems to be oblivious to the fact that he's boring the heck out of his parishioners. Yet, Mass is so powerful because of Christ that I never get bored. I thing the same could be said of any other Christian denomination or religion.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:05 pm

I guess when Miracles occur & someone you love recovers miraclously from a lost situation Medically & theres no explanation for it.One tends to believe that there is a Force somewhere controlling things.
I dont agree to all thats said,but Def believe that there are things that can be achieved by Prayers.

It takes an experience to believe i guess.

Whose right I wouldn't know.
regds
MEL

ZKSUJ

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:14 pm

Who here will be going to church on Christmas?

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:12 pm

ZKSUJ
I'm hoping to get to church on christmas day....all depends on if I don't sleep in, like I'm doing these days.
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:34 pm

Midnight mass - 24th night. Smile
regds
MEL

bravo7e7

Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm probably going to Church on Christmas Day.

Alessandro

Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:06 am

Church is boring because it wants to make you feel guilty....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

ZK-NBT

Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:37 pm

Chursh isn't boring at all, you make your own choices in life and God certainly doesn't force you to go if you find it boring perhaps you should ask yourself if you are really going for the right reason, Jesus will come into your life if you ask him. Christianity is all about having a Personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Yes SUJ i'll be there on Christmas day, and Christmas Eve, (no i'm not made to go twice, I love it) the 24th midnight service is run by the Youth and it really is like a big party where we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ZKSUJ

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:14 pm

I'll be going on Saturday Morning.

I don't find church boring, it was just that particular confession day.

777ER
Head Moderator

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:35 pm

Church is boring because it wants to make you feel guilty.... No way is church boring.

Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

ZKSUJ

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:38 pm

I guess it comes down to who you have preaching. It would be very interesting if the sermon was about something that you can relate to. It also depends on how open minded people are.

Yes, some services I find boring (like the 3 hour confession) but on a whole, I find church to be OK